Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Data Graham posted:

No. They, uh, seldom speak English.

They speak English. They just pretend that they don't for the most part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Holy poo poo. How dangerous is it to drive past Chernobyl?! How long would it take to get a lethal dose??

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

Holy poo poo. How dangerous is it to drive past Chernobyl?! How long would it take to get a lethal dose??

They do guided tours around Pripyat it's that safe. :ssh:

I didn't realise you drove right past the reactor building though, that's cool.

*E* Haha holy poo poo, topical photos: http://www.tourkiev.com/chernobyltour/

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

jammyozzy posted:

It's safe in some areas, and it's mostly only really safe to stay on the concrete (because radioactive particles are washed away by the rains). In the summer, it's especially important not to go anywhere you could stir up dust.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

What happens if you sniff a bit of the dust??

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

What happens if you sniff a bit of the dust??

Cancer risk going up basically. how exactly depends on what isotopes are still lingering around.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm surprised how they didn't showcase how even on the larger highways, the speed limit slows down to 70kph every 3 fuckin miles just for gas stations.

Or maybe that's just normal to them.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I'm assuming that the manufacturers give new cars to the show to use. What happens to them afterward?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

I'm assuming that the manufacturers give new cars to the show to use. What happens to them afterward?

They are usually press cars and the older rare stuff is usually private owners lending it to them.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

Press cars, and they get crushed.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You mean pressed. :v:

That was the funniest episode in a drat long time. Miles beyond the last couple. Richard biting off the corner of his visor, WTF had me in stitches. And James Blunt is a funny guy.

The one thing I can't convince myself was an actual clever reference, though, was them receiving a written message from the producers on the overlook above the Valley of Death. Please, please tell me that that was intentional, because if it was just a coincidence I don't think I want to live anymore.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Loved all the cold war stuff--great episode. Kinda wish I could watch 13 hours of May driving through the Ukraine and talking about the history of wars, Chernobyl, etc.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
I'll go ahead and be that guy: what the hell was this all about?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I think it's an english thing for limp dick.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
I wasn't really digging the first two episodes of this series but I think they knocked it out of the park with this last episode. Every segment was fantastic, and the review of that flaming 800k 1000Hp "Supercar" was hilarious.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Samu posted:

I wasn't really digging the first two episodes of this series but I think they knocked it out of the park with this last episode. Every segment was fantastic, and the review of that flaming 800k 1000Hp "Supercar" was hilarious.

It was so fast it caught fire!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

But it's okay, they "fixed" it again! :v:

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
2 episodes in a row to use scores from Goldeneye. :fap:

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

jammyozzy posted:

I love how it almost seemed like they spent longer staring gleefully into that valley and remembering a war no-one outside of Chelsea cares about, and then driving through a nightmarish radioactive hellscape going "oh right yeah and there is that exploded nuclear power plant thing too!" :britain:

StarcraftM
Jan 15, 2008

Full Fuckin' Circle.

Falken posted:

I knew I wasn't crazy!

That Chernobyl segment was -awesome-.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
That last episode felt more like the Top Gear I really like. A fun adventure, reviewing a misfit super car, some annoying dude as the star in a reasonably priced car.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And the sheer absurdity of whatever it is they're doing in some inappropriate place. Hammond weaving all over the road in that aerial shot :lol:

I also liked those long establishing shots of them driving across the flat Crimean landscape, shot from across like half a mile of swamp. "Hey camera crew, guess what? :haw: "

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

Falken posted:

StarcraftM posted:

I knew I wasn't crazy!

Surely this time it was Enemy at the Gates? (at the submarine base)

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGeYcXcTuU8

Tsuru fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 17, 2014

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

StarcraftM posted:

I knew I wasn't crazy!

It was actually pretty tense too, with the background chatter of the geiger counter slowly getting more insistent.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Tsuru posted:

Surely this time it was Enemy at the Gates?

Maybe but Goldeneye music was used while they were looking at the missiles. I remember that one sound from playing the facility level of Goldeneye on N64.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh god, James flicking his lighter on the terminals/bolts/things on the base of the missile. Jesus, that felt like an ad-lib that they were just lucky to catch on camera.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Maybe but Goldeneye music was used while they were looking at the missiles. I remember that one sound from playing the facility level of Goldeneye on N64.

One of these, this one maybe? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc9YHcKVT7A

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That's the one.

Edit: Yeah. 19:23 - 19:32 - Eric Serra - The Goldeneye Overture

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 17, 2014

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Tsuru posted:

I love how it almost seemed like they spent longer staring gleefully into that valley and remembering a war no-one outside of Chelsea cares about, and then driving through a nightmarish radioactive hellscape going "oh right yeah and there is that exploded nuclear power plant thing too!" :britain:

Honestly, It was a super important war to the modern world which no one learned any lessons from.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
I've been waiting for the Zenvo to be on Top Gear since Top Gear Magazine had it on the front page back in 2010, was sad that it had to do it's lap in the rain.

Kinda wondering if they put off the McLaren P1's lap hoping there would be drier conditions later on

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I was impressed to Hammond's commitment to lift off oversteer down those mountains he was fully committed and if it went wrong he was in a stone wall.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
I was hoping they would show a little more in around Pripyat. Or maybe drive by the massive yards of abandoned service vehicles that were left there because they are too irradiated.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

I was impressed to Hammond's commitment to lift off oversteer down those mountains he was fully committed and if it went wrong he was in a stone wall.

Hell yeah. His whole twisty-road segment was actually really impressive driving. Far more intense and eye-opening to watch than all the high-powered AWD cars that normally dominate those kinds of clips.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

sbaldrick posted:

Honestly, It was a super important war to the modern world which no one learned any lessons from.
That explains why I never heard about it in high school... although to be fair, we have the same problem with WWI. We weren't involved, other than supplying all sides with marching powder. Guess which country I'm from?

At the risk of another derail, I'd love to know why the Crimean war was so important.

Tsuru fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 17, 2014

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Clarkson actually listed off a number of fairly pertinent "firsts". Introduction of modern battlefield medicine, war correspondents/reporting, telegraph communications...

In terms of geopolitical history, though, that's another question.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Data Graham posted:

Well one of the obvious answers would be the poem "Charge of the Light Brigade" by ALT, which lead to the seminal Iron Maiden song, The Trooper.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Easily Hammond's best work in a while.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Data Graham posted:

Clarkson actually listed off a number of fairly pertinent "firsts". Introduction of modern battlefield medicine, war correspondents/reporting, telegraph communications...

This is arguable, but I'd say it was the first war in which a significant coalition of nations acted concertedly - the Napoleonic Wars were more a detached series of smaller campaigns by various armies of individual nations. The Crimean War really laid the foundation for the kind of interdependent treaties and mutual assistance ideas that would enable the First World War.

The other thing people forget is that the Charge, while a mistake and a colossally poor military decision did actually reach the guns - the allies didn't follow up, being understandably and perhaps laudably loath to reinforce a mistake that would radically change the shape of the battlefield, but they achieved their immediate aim (of charging over some gunners).

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah, and the Charge being such a big part of (especially) British cultural history is why I really want to know, in light of this:

quote:

Lucan received an order from the army commander Lord Raglan stating that "Lord Raglan wishes the cavalry to advance rapidly to the front, follow the enemy, and try to prevent the enemy carrying away the guns. Troop horse artillery may accompany. French cavalry is on your left. Immediate." What Raglan wanted was for the light cavalry to prevent the Russians from successfully withdrawing the naval guns from the redoubts that they had captured on the reverse side of the Causeway Heights, the hill forming the south side of the valley. This was an optimum task for the Light Brigade, as their superior speed would ensure the Russians would be forced to either quickly abandon the cumbersome guns or be cut down en masse while they attempted to flee with them.

Raglan could see what was happening from his high vantage point on the west side of the valley. However, the lie of the land around Lucan and the cavalry prevented them from seeing the Russians' efforts to remove the guns from the redoubts and retreat.[1]

The order was drafted by Brigadier Richard Airey and carried by Captain Louis Edward Nolan. Nolan carried the further oral instruction that the cavalry was to attack immediately.[2] When Lucan asked what guns were referred to, Nolan is said to have indicated with a wide sweep of his arm—not the causeway redoubts—but the mass of Russian guns in a redoubt at the end of the valley, around a mile away.[3] His reasons for the misdirection are unknown because he was killed in the ensuing battle.

... whether the producers' written note, delivered to them on the overlook, was meant to be read as a direct reference to the unclear note that sparked the battle, or whether a British audience would immediately recognize it as such. Or whether it was a complete and unbelievable coincidence of TG tropes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Powershift posted:

Press cars, and they get crushed.

Sometimes. Chris Harris famously bought a used S4, noticed that a few things were a bit off about it, and discovered it was the very same press car he had thrashed the poo poo out of in a drifting video some time prior.