Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Chris Knight posted:

You can download the 10.9.1 updater separately as with all other OS X point released: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1715
Always turn auto-updates off.

Always make a back up before updating superduper and carbon copy are your friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LoSesMC
Feb 13, 2009
I've managed to successfully get an i3 laptop (ASUS A53E) set up as a Hackintosh with basically everything working except sleep, battery power display, and I assume CPU power management. While initially trying to get it to work any time applecpupowermanagement.kext was installed I got kernel panics on startup and had to remove it through Terminal in the setup.

I'm not sure where to go from this point in making those last few things work, but I'd be thankful for any guidance as I've found I'm quite fond of OS X even as a mostly lifelong Windows power-user. I even want to pick Hackintosh friendly parts for my next gaming rig upgrade so I can dualboot.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Have you tried a patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement kext yet?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Got Mavericks installing consistently on my Shuttle ( SP35 + ICH 9 chipset, socket 775) and updated to 10.9.1. Used myHack which worked way better than TonyMac's thing, which kept resetting my bios :/

Still have this weird freeze a few minutes into a cold boot, which was happening on SL already. It's either the ram or CPU, since I upgraded both just before christmas.

LoSesMC
Feb 13, 2009

Sinestro posted:

Have you tried a patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement kext yet?

Not yet, I'm not really sure how to go forward with finding/making one for my system.

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

Yo vivo en una furgoneta abajo cerca del río!
What is the deal with dual booting Windows 7 and OS X with Chamelion? Windows has to be installed in BIOS mode, not EFI mode? That is what I gleaned from reading Tonymacx86, before I found this thread. Is that indeed the case? I'm not sure how I installed Windows 7 back in the day. I'll have to check.

I suppose, in any case, I can always "dual boot" by manually changing my boot drive in the BIOS.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

ryangs posted:

What is the deal with dual booting Windows 7 and OS X with Chamelion? Windows has to be installed in BIOS mode, not EFI mode? That is what I gleaned from reading Tonymacx86, before I found this thread. Is that indeed the case? I'm not sure how I installed Windows 7 back in the day. I'll have to check.

I suppose, in any case, I can always "dual boot" by manually changing my boot drive in the BIOS.

From what I've read you do the Windows 7 build first, and then do the Mac OS will then will replace the boot loader into the dual boot mode you are looking for.

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

Wow. Installing with MyHack was unbelievably easy. No problems whatsoever. Now I just need to get my network and audio working. I take it I need to install some kext's? This is where the myHack guide is leaving me hanging. Do I just have to hunt them down manually and install them, or is there some clever, automated nerd hack for this step, too?

This wiki, at least, gives me some clues as to what kext's I need for my P8Z68-M Pro:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.8.2#Asus

Edit: Oh, I see. Read the first post again. Multibeast seems to be what I need.

ryangs fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 16, 2014

Winston Chill
Aug 24, 2008

Fine and dandy.
Just got the parts for my first hackintosh yesterday, the setup I chose was a GA-Z87MX-D3H motherboard with an Intel i5 4430 and a GTX 660. After a horribly failed first Unibeast install (installed the wrong kexts or something) I think I have everything working with minimum hassle. After 5 years of using official Apple hardware the change isn't that noticeable to be honest.

The only problem I'm having is with my old wired aluminium Apple keyboard that keeps losing its power at random intervals, plugging it to a usb2 port instead of usb3 seems to fix it for some odd reason though :v:

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
That seems to be an ongoing problem with USB3 ports on Hacks. They work fine with USB3, but will fail to register USB2 devices. Maybe that is an overstatement, since they seem to register your keyboard for short intervals.

My mobo only has two USB2 ports, which I reserve specifically for my keyboard and mouse, and pray to god I never have to worry about a USB2 flash drive.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

P.N.T.M. posted:

That seems to be an ongoing problem with USB3 ports on Hacks. They work fine with USB3, but will fail to register USB2 devices. Maybe that is an overstatement, since they seem to register your keyboard for short intervals.

My mobo only has two USB2 ports, which I reserve specifically for my keyboard and mouse, and pray to god I never have to worry about a USB2 flash drive.

The issue with USB 3.0 ports on my GA-H77N-WIFI was that keyboard/mice worked (and worked consistently), but USB 2.0 storage devices did not under ML. After I upgraded to Mavericks though, it just started working with no further action on my part.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
I haven't had any problems with USB 2.0 devices using the USB 3.0 ports on my motherboard (Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H). It has a Renesas hub (Product ID: 0x0210, Vendor ID: 0x045b), if that helps.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Got Mavericks up and running on the Shuttle with MyHack, custom DSDT, and grabbed the ALC888 codec from TonyMacx86 for post-install. Biggest thing MyHack had going for my system was that it didn't reset the CMOS on every boot (unlike UniBeast :D )

Still tracing an unrelated but coincidental hardware problem, but other than that it's running well. Whether I transfer everything over or just stay on SL I don't know at the moment. There's a lot of goofy poo poo in the post-SL world.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I got Mavericks on my PC yesterday and it's running like a champ. I already have everything working and TRIM enabled. Anything I might have missed? I thought I read something about changing the color profile but it appears to have grabbed one from my display already?

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

revmoo posted:

I got Mavericks on my PC yesterday and it's running like a champ. I already have everything working and TRIM enabled. Anything I might have missed? I thought I read something about changing the color profile but it appears to have grabbed one from my display already?

Remember to take a disk image as soon as you're happy with it. I think lots of us use Super Duper. Never failed to do a hassle-free restore.

invid
Dec 19, 2002
Whelp, managed to install Mavericks and updated to 10.9.1 with myHack + Multibeast drivers.

Only problem I'm facing right now is opening 'Maps' app will literally freeze the OS and requires a hard reset. Is it an issue with SMBIOS profile? Anyway I can fix this?

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
How rough is it for older Nvidia cards with Mavericks? I'm building a new desktop and want to convert my older one into a hackintosh, but I am taking my new Nvidia GTX to the new system. I have an old 7800GT laying around I could toss in if it's possible. Prior to this idea, I was using an older MacMini to do email/banking/work vpn but the performance of the i5 / 5400RPM drive / 2GB system memory made me get rid of it.

System Specs would be:

CPU: i7 875k (1156 Lynnfield)
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 Rev2 - F11 (DSDT available on tonymacx86)
RAM: 8GB

I'm not concerned about audio as my primary desktop is connected to my speaker setup and wireless isn't a big deal since my office is hardwired. I'm really just looking to make use of this excess hardware and I'd prefer it be a Hackintosh, but if the GPU is going to be an issue, I'll just run *nix desktop instead.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I have a 512MB 9400GT, and it worked in Mavericks. Audio will be fine for your mobo.

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

I'm having trouble getting Chameleon to pay attention to the options I'm setting in Boot.plist. It seems to be totally ignoring some of these, including Graphics Mode, Default Partition, and Hide Partition. Other things are working, though, like Theme. What gives? Do I have some syntax errors? I'm getting thrown off by whether to not to include quotes around multi-word strings, like Graphics Mode.

code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
        <key>Graphics Mode</key>
        <string>1200x800x32</string>
	<key>Theme</key>
	<string>LoginToLion</string>
	<key>"Default Partition"</key>
	<string>hd(0,1)</string>
	<key>"Hide Partition"</key>
	<string>hd(1,2) hd(2,1)</string>
	<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Kernel</key>
	<string>mach_kernel</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string></string>
	<key>PciRoot</key>
	<string>0</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>5</string>
	<key>UseKernelCache</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>"Instant Menu"</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>"Boot Banner"</key>
	<string>No</string>
	<key>ShowInfo</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
I've been running Hackintosh on various machines, going back to my previous machine, which is:

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R
Core 2 Duo E8500
8GB DDR2
GeForce 9800 GTX+

And my current machine:

MSI Z77A-GD65
Core i5 3570K
16GB DDR3
(originally) GeForce GTX 670
(currently) Radeon R9 270X

I am having a few minor problems with my current machine's setup, and I'm not sure how I should go about fixing them.

For one thing, I already moved the boot loader and Extras folder to the EFI partition to solve an issue between the Radeon card's BIOS and Chimera. That still leaves me with a problem getting the right framebuffer configuration for this card. I currently boot with my onboard graphics enabled as the primary adapter, but with nothing connected to any of its display ports, so I boot blind until I get to a login screen, get into the OS, and ioreg dump says I've got a stub framebuffer:

code:
    | |   |   | +-o ATY,AMD,RadeonFramebuffer@0  <class AtiFbStub, id 0x1000003ba, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (4686 ms), retain 8>
    | |   |   | +-o ATY,AMD,RadeonFramebuffer@1  <class AtiFbStub, id 0x1000003bb, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (102 ms), retain 8>
    | |   |   | +-o ATY,AMD,RadeonFramebuffer@2  <class AtiFbStub, id 0x1000003bc, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (0 ms), retain 8>
    | |   |   | +-o ATY,AMD,RadeonFramebuffer@3  <class AtiFbStub, id 0x1000003bd, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (0 ms), retain 8>
Booting without the integrated graphics gets to white screens with just the hardware cursor visible, and I've tried overriding with all of the framebuffer presets that are built-in, to the same result.

My card has the following configuration, according to its BIOS passed through redsock_bios_decoder:

code:
R927XO2D.F1 :

GV-R927XOC-2GD/F1                                                           

Subsystem Vendor ID: 1458
       Subsystem ID: 2272
Object Header Structure Size: 355
Connector Object Table Offset: 48
Router Object Table Offset: 0
Encoder Object Table Offset: fd
Display Path Table Offset: 12
Connector Object Id [19] which is [DISPLAY_PORT]
	encoder obj id [0x21] which is [INTERNAL_UNIPHY2 (osx txmit 0x12 [duallink 0x2] enc 0x4)] linkb: false
Connector Object Id [12] which is [HDMI_TYPE_A]
	encoder obj id [0x21] which is [INTERNAL_UNIPHY2 (osx txmit 0x22 [duallink 0x2] enc 0x5)] linkb: true
Connector Object Id [2] which is [DVI_I]
	encoder obj id [0x1e] which is [INTERNAL_UNIPHY (osx txmit 0x10 [duallink 0x0] enc 0x0)] linkb: false
Connector Object Id [2] which is [DVI_I]
	encoder obj id [0x15] which is [INTERNAL_KLDSCP_DAC1 (osx txmit 0x00 enc 0x10?)] linkb: false
Connector Object Id [4] which is [DVI_D]
	encoder obj id [0x20] which is [INTERNAL_UNIPHY1 (osx txmit 0x11 [duallink 0x1] enc 0x2)] linkb: false
I have seen a pre-made driver kit which installs some atyenabler.kext and either patches or includes a patched AMD7000Controller.kext, but I can't use that, because I'm running the 10.8.2 developer seed, primarily for its updated Radeon drivers. I would say they make a certain game actually playable, but I don't know if that is slipping too far into NDA breach territory.

Oh yeah, and I need the DVI-I port to be able to function as a VGA port, as it currently does with the integrated graphics workaround, because my secondary monitor is a CRT.

FAKE EDIT: I just remembered another problem I'm having. Possibly due to having this CRT connected, or possibly due to having any external monitors connected at all, I cannot get iTunes protected video content to play at all. No error message, just a black picture and frozen position indicator. I've read that this is a known bug with Ivy Bridge based systems, and that some people have even had the same problem on real Ivy Bridge Macs, but I have no substantiation to that last claim. This annoys me, because to play the content I've been buying, I have to download it in a Windows virtual machine using 10.7, then use a little something something to remove the encryption just so I can play them on the host machine. Playing them inside the VM is not really possible, as for some reason, as fast as Parallels 9 is, it is only capable of playing 720p content at full speed, and not 1080p content.

kode54 fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Feb 17, 2014

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

ryangs posted:

I'm having trouble getting Chameleon to pay attention to the options I'm setting in Boot.plist. It seems to be totally ignoring some of these, including Graphics Mode, Default Partition, and Hide Partition. Other things are working, though, like Theme. What gives? Do I have some syntax errors? I'm getting thrown off by whether to not to include quotes around multi-word strings, like Graphics Mode.
I think you answered your own question but, yeah, I'd be willing to bet it's the quotes giving you problems. I can't find any instances of using quotes in key values, but it looks like you can hide partitions by name, and then you put the name in quotes in the string value.

I'm glad you posted this, I reinstalled Windows to an SSD in my machine this weekend, and this is a good reminder to edit my Boot.plist file on the Hack side.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Is there a recognised fix for iMessage yet? Having troubles with it again on an install that once worked perfectly. :woz:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

~Coxy posted:

Is there a recognised fix for iMessage yet? Having troubles with it again on an install that once worked perfectly. :woz:

In /Extras/modules/ put the FileNVRAM.dylib file from this guy's site: http://routerjockey.com/2013/01/23/fixing-imessage-on-hackintosh/

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Also, is there any way to override the sound device layout and chip type from the boot loader or Boot.plist? I would like to find a solution so I don't have to keep applying ALC898 (or in the case of my older machine, ALC889A) non-DSDT fixes every minor update. Which happens every week now, thanks to the developer seed.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

In /Extras/modules/ put the FileNVRAM.dylib file from this guy's site: http://routerjockey.com/2013/01/23/fixing-imessage-on-hackintosh/

Worked perfectly, thanks!

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Why don't you use a DSDT fix?

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Upgraded my ThinkPad from 10.8.4 to 10.9, clean. Everything's working but iMessage. iMessage is being weird as hell because it works on ethernet but not over wifi. No other wifi problems. iCloud and App Store work on both wifi and ethernet. On attempted login it returns the message Could Not Sign Into iMessage, Please Check Your Network Connection. I've tried (-)ing the Ethernet device and deleting the network connections plist.

Annnnny ideas? poo poo.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
You need to add some poo poo to [I think] your chameleon boot.plist file. I think it's something like EthernetBuiltIn=Yes but you should probably google to be sure.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
If you are using Chameleon or Chimera, you need to acquire and install the latest version of FileNVRAM in the Extra/modules directory on your boot partition.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

kode54 posted:

If you are using Chameleon or Chimera, you need to acquire and install the latest version of FileNVRAM in the Extra/modules directory on your boot partition.

I've definitely got that in my Exras, but I didn't know it needed to be current. I always use the latest Chameleon.

nescience
Jan 24, 2011

h'okay
what's the most stable version of OS X that can be used for hackintosh laptops? I installed Mavericks to an ASUS Laptop that came with Win8, and I'm having trouble getting devices to work. I'm curious if I would have more success with previous version of OS X.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

nescience posted:

what's the most stable version of OS X that can be used for hackintosh laptops? I installed Mavericks to an ASUS Laptop that came with Win8, and I'm having trouble getting devices to work. I'm curious if I would have more success with previous version of OS X.

You might, and you might not. Mavericks has an advantage in that it is free. I've had fewer but different problems with it than I had with ML. Honestly if you've got a hard drive, go ahead and run both and see which one gives you less poo poo.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

agarjogger posted:

I've definitely got that in my Exras, but I didn't know it needed to be current. I always use the latest Chameleon.

You already have it? Weird. Maybe it was some specific version? Let me see...

The relevant bits are here, which looks like they've ripped off some graphics from the much hated tonymac, but it seems the relevant add might be removing ACPICodec.dylib from the Modules directory. I'm not sure.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

kode54 posted:

You already have it? Weird. Maybe it was some specific version? Let me see...

The relevant bits are here, which looks like they've ripped off some graphics from the much hated tonymac, but it seems the relevant add might be removing ACPICodec.dylib from the Modules directory. I'm not sure.

K so here's what I did that fixed it straight away. First I replaced my FileNVram.dylib with the latest one I could find off osx86.net. Then I removed all of Messages.app's config and history files to tidy up. I deleted ethernet from networking, and also deleted networking's I added EthernetBuiltIn=yes to my boot plist, and also added it's long-form device tag to boot plist. One or two reboots in there, I can't remember, then success.

These are the directions from http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/110471-how-fix-imessage.html
and http://www.osx86.net/topic/19442-guide-get-icloud-app-store-and-imessage-working/

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
I am putting together my first Hackintosh tomorrow. I won't have the SSD right away, so I was just going to use my eventual Windows hard drive under OS X for a couple weeks. Will using SuperDuper or Disk Utility to clone my install onto the SSD be as easy as it is on a real Mac? I also eventually might to do the DIY Fusion Drive thing - is that any more complicated on a Hackintosh?

Another Poster
Apr 12, 2008
I just did a SuperDuper transferring my 10.9.1 drive to a Fusion Drive using this tutorial: http://www.macbreaker.com/2012/12/how-to-set-up-fusion-drive-on-hackintosh.html and everything went smoothly.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

I have a job where I'm editing photo & video on Mac Pros with Final Cut Studio / Adobe CS3 Master Collection. I learnt the basics of Final Cut Pro 6 on a HP Probook 4530S laptop I got to run Snow Leopard (dual booting with Windows 8), but that's only an i3 chip so not really usable for big edits. Now I've been asked to dig in with Motion and most likely Adobe After Effects & Photoshop for video graphics.

A decent spec second hand Mac Pro in the UK runs to around £800+, but I could build a new CustoMac hackintosh using TonyMac's latest parts list for not much more. I can dual boot it with Windows 7 and then that can replace my current PC. Is that a good idea?

edit more words

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 2, 2014

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

agarjogger posted:

K so here's what I did that fixed it straight away. First I replaced my FileNVram.dylib with the latest one I could find off osx86.net. Then I removed all of Messages.app's config and history files to tidy up. I deleted ethernet from networking, and also deleted networking's I added EthernetBuiltIn=yes to my boot plist, and also added it's long-form device tag to boot plist. One or two reboots in there, I can't remember, then success.

These are the directions from http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/110471-how-fix-imessage.html
and http://www.osx86.net/topic/19442-guide-get-icloud-app-store-and-imessage-working/

I would really love to know why the newest version of that FileNVRam module works for some people, but for others they have to back down to the second-newest. I spent an hour trying to make iMessage work using the 1.1.3 version, and it didn't work. Used 1.1.2 later tonight, and it worked on the first try.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

spookygonk posted:

I have a job where I'm editing photo & video on Mac Pros with Final Cut Studio / Adobe CS3 Master Collection. I learnt the basics of Final Cut Pro 6 on a HP Probook 4530S laptop I got to run Snow Leopard (dual booting with Windows 8), but that's only an i3 chip so not really usable for big edits. Now I've been asked to dig in with Motion and most likely Adobe After Effects & Photoshop for video graphics.

A decent spec second hand Mac Pro in the UK runs to around £800+, but I could build a new CustoMac hackintosh using TonyMac's latest parts list for not much more. I can dual boot it with Windows 7 and then that can replace my current PC. Is that a good idea?

edit more words

Do you like building PCs and are you fine with executing terminal commands? Go for it.

(And even that second one is barely needed anymore these days, it's so easy.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
Is anyone having trouble with NVAudio.kext on 10.9.2? I don't know if they changed AppleHDA (I don't have a 10.9.1 machine to test against), so I'm really not sure what the problem is - as far as I can tell it's just a simple injector thing. It's definitely loading at startup, but I can't select my HDMI device as an output option by option-clicking on the sound thing in the menu bar.

e: hmm, found an updated "HDMIAudio.kext" from the same developer. When installing that I got a "This kernel extension is not from an identified developer" - that's new, and I don't have Gatekeeper enabled. Whatever, seems to work.

If anyone's interested, that kext apparently works with ATI cards too.

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Mar 3, 2014

• Locked thread