Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
That's better than me trying to figure out what the hell would be in a diet function.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I think I fell into goon groupthink/hivemind that happens every so often when I disliked her. When I sit back and think about it, I don't really dislike Laurel or Kate Cassidy at all! She certainly wasn't anything special on Supernatural(no one really is), but she's alright here. I don't mind her playing a broken, unlikeable character. I think she pulls it off rather well. Kaity Lotz is still awesome, though. Not an excellent actor by any definition, but she has the presence and physicality to make you actually believe she was trained by super secret mega ninjas.

Also, this came from Manu's Fbook:

Oh, Kate does have a weird doritio face thing, though.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

omg chael crash posted:

I think I fell into goon groupthink/hivemind that happens every so often when I disliked her. When I sit back and think about it, I don't really dislike Laurel or Kate Cassidy at all! She certainly wasn't anything special on Supernatural(no one really is), but she's alright here. I don't mind her playing a broken, unlikeable character. I think she pulls it off rather well. Kaity Lotz is still awesome, though. Not an excellent actor by any definition, but she has the presence and physicality to make you actually believe she was trained by super secret mega ninjas.

Like I said, I came around to enjoying Laurel after her wringing out Sarah at the end of Heir. The fact that they're embracing the fact that she's becoming a booze soaked rear end clears the dissonance between Oliver and dad going soft all over her and the message of 'Like Laurel!' that has. And Drifter is right about the rose tinted lenses; between the goon hate for Laurel (who is as of the moment being groomed for the Black Canary role), and suddenly a new cast member with the physicality to play a martial arts based hero and works well with the lead and that character's traditional romantic interest? As well as giving us the 'Canary' earlier than we'd hoped? Not hard to imagine the groupthink that developed.

I've come to the same conclusion about Huntress: my beef with her isn't her actor or the writing, necessarily. It's that they took a character motivated to put bad guys in the ground permanently because of her past, and turned her into a jilted ex-lover. They went out of their way to put her in an 'always opposed' slot in the organization of enemies and allies. It would have been one thing for Oliver to come to resent her methods and the collateral damage that causes them to have a falling out, but leaves the opening for a tense partnership in later episodes. Instead, they had her get pissed off about a double-date and shoot his girlfriend with a shotgun.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

DivisionPost posted:

Tom Cavanaugh is boarding The Flash as Harrison Wells, the mind and money behind the S.T.A.R. Labs particle accelerator. Of course, when that blows up, he's made into a pariah and is forced to start again as a physicist-for-hire working out of a bowling alley.

I think all the chili talk pulled the spotlight away from how awesome this is. Also, I would watch a show called "Chili Talk with Oliver Queen"

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I just think Sarah is not to be trusted. She betrayed Ollie when Ivo captured him, then betrayed Ivo as soon as she had the opportunity, then betrayed the league of assassins and then betrayed her family by putting them in danger.

Her survival instinct is to run to the most powerful person. If anyone is going to be ravager it's her.

Especially considering we don't know the circumstances Ollie saw her die under yet, and how much Ollie was at fault.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Warmachine posted:

Like I said, I came around to enjoying Laurel after her wringing out Sarah at the end of Heir. The fact that they're embracing the fact that she's becoming a booze soaked rear end clears the dissonance between Oliver and dad going soft all over her and the message of 'Like Laurel!' that has. And Drifter is right about the rose tinted lenses; between the goon hate for Laurel (who is as of the moment being groomed for the Black Canary role), and suddenly a new cast member with the physicality to play a martial arts based hero and works well with the lead and that character's traditional romantic interest? As well as giving us the 'Canary' earlier than we'd hoped? Not hard to imagine the groupthink that developed.

I've come to the same conclusion about Huntress: my beef with her isn't her actor or the writing, necessarily. It's that they took a character motivated to put bad guys in the ground permanently because of her past, and turned her into a jilted ex-lover. They went out of their way to put her in an 'always opposed' slot in the organization of enemies and allies. It would have been one thing for Oliver to come to resent her methods and the collateral damage that causes them to have a falling out, but leaves the opening for a tense partnership in later episodes. Instead, they had her get pissed off about a double-date and shoot his girlfriend with a shotgun.

Laurel's been a pretty great character throughout this season honestly. She's been an rear end to her dad the entire season. She's depressed because she blames herself for Tommy's loss. When she finally gets close to catching Blood she's proven to be a alcoholic and a drug abuser and is discredited. She has just hit rock bottom and pretty much no longer gives a gently caress. Now add to that Sarah's back, her parents are happy and Sarah's happy, but Laurel is still bitter because she has yet to have a "Happy Ending", when she thought Sarah was dead she could at least mourn her loss and see only the good times they had, but when she comes back when Laurel is at a low point, gets Laurel attacked, and their mom kidnapped, It's hard to be happy. So far Sarah(from Laurel's perspective) has always gotten everything she wanted easily. Not to mention the whole jumping on a ship and sleeping with her boyfriend.

Some characters you aren't necessarily supposed to like, even if they have completely sympathetic reasons for being the position they are in. She actually hasn't been written that poorly. It's just that due to the pace this series moves at they don't expand upon her problems.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 17, 2014

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

omg chael crash posted:

That picture of Marv Wolfman doesn't look like an overjoyed creator. More like a terrified hostage who has tried to scribble "Send help! My creation has come to life and I don't know what he's going to do to me!" on the artwork, but is smiling so as to appease his captor.

But that is a seriously cool thing for Manu to do. Just like how Hugh Jackman always gave a shoutout to the creators of Wolverine.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

omg chael crash posted:

At least on twitter, he captioned it "I finally meet my maker"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

The Question IRL posted:

That picture of Marv Wolfman doesn't look like an overjoyed creator. More like a terrified hostage who has tried to scribble "Send help! My creation has come to life and I don't know what he's going to do to me!" on the artwork, but is smiling so as to appease his captor.

But that is a seriously cool thing for Manu to do. Just like how Hugh Jackman always gave a shoutout to the creators of Wolverine.

Well he knows that if pisses him off he will Kill them all

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Arrow: "The women on this show have weird faces".

C'mon, people.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

greatn posted:

I just think Sarah is not to be trusted. She betrayed Ollie when Ivo captured him, then betrayed Ivo as soon as she had the opportunity, then betrayed the league of assassins and then betrayed her family by putting them in danger.

Her survival instinct is to run to the most powerful person. If anyone is going to be ravager it's her.

Slade will find a way to graft the earthquake machine to her, and boom, Terra.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

jscolon2.0 posted:

Slade will find a way to graft the earthquake machine to her, and boom, Terra.

Filter the Mirakuru through the earthquake machine.

Monoman
Jan 8, 2010

by Ralp
This is an OK show. Not too good, not too bad.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Monoman posted:

Would you say it's more acceptable or adequately satisfactory?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Monoman posted:

I don't think you "get" the internet

Monoman
Jan 8, 2010

by Ralp

Accretionist posted:

Would you say it's more acceptable or adequately satisfactory?

Yes!

Rarity posted:

I don't think you "get" the internet

I've read your posts in this thread and I think you should take a break from this show. No grown up should be this emotionally invested in a show about superheroes.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Monoman posted:

I've read your posts in this thread and I think you should take a break from this show. No grown up should be this emotionally invested in a show about superheroes.

Or, apparently, jokes.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Getting back on topic, pics from the next episode

Looks like the ladies are getting lots of action. Beginnings of the Birds of Prey?

Also this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj0YxKPtjbY :allears:

wedgie deliverer fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 18, 2014

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

hi liter posted:

Getting back on topic, pics from the next episode

Looks like the ladies are getting lots of action. Beginnings of the Birds of Prey?

Also this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj0YxKPtjbY :allears:

Would be better without that horrible music overdub.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Yeah, if they're going to brutally rape your ears you should at least get the full 14" treatment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HORkT4a2MhQ

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

If they ever have the Birds of Prey they need something like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAFP0IoMfsA

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

ufarn posted:

Arrow: "The women on this show have weird faces".

C'mon, people.

If that face was on a dude people would be talking about it to. Seriously it is weird.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Everyone who has made a big deal out of her face should have to post a picture of themselves so we can mock more faces.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

bobkatt013 posted:

If they ever have the Birds of Prey they need something like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAFP0IoMfsA
I was thinking more along the lines of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeIumG1cliI

Rhyno posted:

Everyone who has made a big deal out of her face should have to post a picture of themselves so we can mock more faces.
Good lord no one's mocking her face or being an Internet Male about it. A character on a TV show looks different enough that multiple people have noticed and so are talking about it. If Amell was just suddenly 50 pounds heavier in the season 3 premiere we'd be talking about that too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

VDay posted:

Good lord no one's mocking her face or being an Internet Male about it. A character on a TV show looks different enough that multiple people have noticed and so are talking about it. If Amell was just suddenly 50 pounds heavier in the season 3 premiere we'd be talking about that too.

Well for one, people have been mocking her. I don't know which thread you've been reading. Second, you need to lighten the gently caress up and unclench dude.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Rhyno posted:

Well for one, people have been mocking her. I don't know which thread you've been reading. Second, you need to lighten the gently caress up and unclench dude.

Yeah I'm clearly taking this too seriously, as evidenced by the first half of the post you quoted :rolleyes:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
So you're saying it's time for an Arrow musical episode?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7JO_lOZP9k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GMbeQe0klA
He'll always play second fiddle to Batman, though. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL7IIANFBMU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp6wLXj4-5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF5XtBztu28

Maybe they'll do a puppet one next.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 18, 2014

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Watching the first season, it's sort of on par with the weight loss Quair goes through from Season 3->4 of Dexter.

Chef Bromden
Jun 4, 2009

VDay posted:

If Amell was just suddenly 50 pounds heavier in the season 3 premiere we'd be talking about that too.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Would we get him drunkenly chasing a pigeons?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

I see this posted a lot but what is it from?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Battlestar Galactica

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Hollismason posted:

That's Fat Apollo from Battlestar Galactica.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Don't remember that at all.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Hollismason posted:

It was the start of season 3 during the New Caprica arc.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hollismason posted:

It was after the time skip, when they settled on New Caprica.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I am so very glad this got posted.

Hollismason posted:

And after another timeskip, he's buttoning his uniform, and utters, "Never again." :bsg: I wasn't around to get indoctrinated to goon sentiment at the time, but I'll never not laugh at Fat Lee.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JANtG5vpTPU

BTS video featuring the salmon ladder.

"It's real. Stop asking!"

Mexal
Oct 18, 2007

It is best to avoid the power of a ninja

Rhyno posted:

Her face went from full and healthy to a triangle. I think it's worth commenting on, especially as it's on CW where everyone is supposed to be super hot and it's clearly part of their brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

But is it worth commenting on constantly and every page forever?

• Locked thread