Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/BART-police-officer-shot-dead-by-colleague-in-5163548.php

quote:

Nelson said the shooting happened after several BART officers went to an apartment in a modern complex of three-story buildings to perform a search for a man suspected of committing a series of robberies on BART property.

According to law enforcement sources, the suspect was already in custody, having been arrested recently.

The officers - all of whom wore bulletproof vests, but were not part of a SWAT team - forced entry into the apartment, Nelson said, before "one officer fired a shot which fatally struck another officer."

I'm picturing them piling out of a clown car before charging up to the apartment door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Since we're in T&T now, maybe you guys could help me out. My dad's in LA right now, and he's probably gonna get bored pretty quick. Is there any fun poo poo you guys might recommend for a guy that lived and worked in LA for ~50 years? Think of things your parents/grandparents might enjoy but wouldn't have heard about without your help.

Odds are good he's just gonna track down his buddies and play geriatric volleyball in Hermosa for a week or two but maybe he can broaden his horizons.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I enjoyed walking through Little Tokyo and eating myself sick, but I dunno if that's something most LA people do.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

STOP THE COSTA PELOSI BOXER DUSTBOWL

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-drought-politics-20140127,0,6322521.story

Republicans seek to tap California drought for a political edge posted:

House Speaker John A. Boehner joined the effort recently, flying to Bakersfield and promising to shepherd legislation through the House to divert some of the state's dwindling water supply to farmers.

"When you come to a place like California, and you come from my part of the world, you just shake your head and wonder what kinds of nonsense does the bureaucracy do out here?" the Ohio Republican said, referring to the long-running diversion of millions of gallons from farms to the habitats of endangered fish.

"How you can favor fish over people is something that people from my part of the world never understand," he said.

More water for the farming god!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yes we should definitely let endangered fish species go extinct in order for the four or five major corporate farms in socal to have a marginally better crop of oranges.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Yes we should definitely let endangered fish species go extinct in order for the four or five major corporate farms in socal to have a marginally better crop of oranges.

And to have even more water to sell to SoCal cities at gently caress off prices.

Seriously, how many people actually know anything about the Vinovich and Resnik and Boswell and whatever other families owning the water rights and land in the valley?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I don't know what you are talking about, rivers aren't supposed to reach the ocean.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

And to have even more water to sell to SoCal cities at gently caress off prices.

Seriously, how many people actually know anything about the Vinovich and Resnik and Boswell and whatever other families owning the water rights and land in the valley?

Luckily the majority of Californians (which means most Californians) in the cities are environmentalists first, corporate farm supporters last.

I'm not surprised the Republicans are paying more attention out here, the state party is a joke and is trying their hardest to get Republicans back in the Assembly to end Jerry Brown's reign of terror.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Some cool maps I found recently

Spyglass on the Past: San Francisco 1859
Los Angeles in 1880, as depicted on a map from the David Rumsey collection, compared to a modern satellite image of the city.

Spyglass on the Past: Los Angeles 1880 and Today
San Francisco in 1880, as depicted on a map from the David Rumsey collection, compared to a modern satellite image of the city.

The Weird & Wonderful IE
An eclectic tour of interesting locales in Southern California's vast Inland Empire

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

FCKGW posted:

The Weird & Wonderful IE
An eclectic tour of interesting locales in Southern California's vast Inland Empire
Runner-Up, 2013 Webby Award for "Shortest Webpage"

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

RabbitMage posted:

Also if you happen to drive through Pismo Beach/SLO, you need to stop and eat at Splash Cafe. Clam chowder in a bread bowl is the standard order, or if you're like me and not a seafood person, the chili breadbowl is decent, and the hamburgers and curly fries are also pretty great. I consider that place another California institution.

Just went to splash cafe for the first time on my down to la. Thanks for the recommendation! The clam chowder was maybe the beat I've ever had and the scallops were pretty drat good too. Can't agree with you on the fries though, they kind of sucked.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
I'm glad you liked it, even if you are wrong about the fries. They aren't mindblowing, but I find them incredibly fun. Sometimes there's an insanely long one in the basket, and it makes my day that much better.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

:woop: It rained in the Bay Area! :woop:

Today's rain was more than we got in the entire month of January.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
My partner will travel for business to San Diego and I have an opportunity to join her. We're from Europe and this will be a unique chance to visit California. She'll have a very busy week during which I'll be mostly on my own, and we could extend the stay for another week and do stuff together.

The problems are that our budget will be limited and that I don't actually know what's there to do. We're not that much into standard touristy things like Hollywood, Beverly Hills shopping, etc (I know that's not SD). Any suggestions?

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
This is kind of touristy, but the SD Zoo and Sea World are widely recognized and being some of the best of those types of park in the world.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Too funny, I just went to the San Diego Zoo on Saturday for the first time ever. I would highly recommend going, it was one of the best zoos I've ever seen. It's gigantic, so be prepared for lots of walking, but also they have a bus system that will drop you off at certain stops.

They had baby giraffes! :3:

The one second from the left is only 5 weeks old.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
In the same area as the Zoo is Balboa Park, which has loads of museums and is generally nice to walk around. Also get a California Burrito from a tiny Mexican restaurant, it's practically required.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I don't know if these are common down south but if there are any Torrance-type areas (high populations of both asians and latinos) you might luck out and find a teryaki place that does a teryaki burrito. There's a place out by El Camino College on the Torrance/Gardena border that does an amazing version in chicken or beef. Golden Bowl, I think. Hope they're still in business.

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 3, 2014

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

If you have a car the San Diego Zoo Safari Park up in Escondido is amazing. It's still a "zoo" but the enclosures are much bigger so the animals can run around.

It's also full of hills so it's good exercise.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Be prepared to drive a lot to get anywhere. I'd recommend taking a day trip to Anza-Borrego Desert State Park, east of San Diego. It's an hour and a half drive from downtown and should be really interesting, considering how different the climate and geology there is from Europe. Normally I'd say "And maybe it will be nice and lush from winter rains" but we haven't had any so it'll just be a normal desert scene. Still super cool though!

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I like the zoo and the sea world ideas. Her hotel is in La Jolla, north of University city. How do you get around from there? Public transport, taxi, rental car?

And would you recommend a trip to LA or Tijuana in our extra week or should we spend all the time (two weeks for me, one week effectively for her) around SD?

edit: ^^ so I guess I'll have to get a rental. Is there at least some stuff to see within public transport or walking distance, so that we can shave a few $$ off by not renting every day?

Doctor Malaver fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 3, 2014

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Doctor Malaver posted:

And would you recommend a trip to LA or Tijuana in our extra week or should we spend all the time (two weeks for me, one week effectively for her) around SD?

Come to LA if you want to check out all the typical touristy "Hollywood" things (Walk of Fame, Chinese Theater, Hollywood sign, etc.) or if there's a specific show or something that you want to see, aside from that, I would recommend just staying in San Diego.

Do NOT go to Tijuana.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

WampaLord posted:

Do NOT go to Tijuana.

Seconded.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

If you plan to do city things in San Diego or it's nearby sites like the parks you should be ok without a car.

If you want to see "California" then you need a car.

Since so many people fly in and need cars rentals are usually super cheap, assuming you don't do the European thing and rent a Mustang or a Camaro.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The La Jolla cove is a nice place to wade and check out tide pools. But really unless you're staying in downtown or Hillcrest there isn't really public transit.

You should get a time machine and visit Tijuana about 25 years ago.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

WampaLord posted:

Do NOT go to Tijuana.
This.

If this is a pleasure trip (and not a comedy-trainwreck/risk-tourism trip) its probably not worth it.

Breaking Bad is a cool show, not so great in real life. :v:

FRINGE fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Feb 4, 2014

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Riven posted:

This is kind of touristy, but the SD Zoo and Sea World are widely recognized and being some of the best of those types of park in the world.

Go watch "Blackfish" on netflix before you go to Sea World.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah SeaWorld is a weird, upsetting thing.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

I remember last time I was in Monterey, the Fisherman's Wharf had posters saying "BOYCOTT SEA WORLD, THEY ENGAGE IN ANIMAL SLAVERY."

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I remember last time I was in Monterey, the Fisherman's Wharf had posters saying "BOYCOTT SEA WORLD, THEY ENGAGE IN ANIMAL SLAVERY."

"Now who wants this ton of fish we just butchered en masse?"

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Wait, do they still actually sell fish there? Thought it was basically a tourist trap now.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

If you're renting a car in the U.S. anywhere near the border, you have to sign an agreement NOT to take it to Mexico, with very large $$$ penalties if you do. The car companies are not interested in losing any more vehicles.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Wait, do they still actually sell fish there? Thought it was basically a tourist trap now.

I was under the impression that they stopped fishing in Monterey ages ago. But yeah, it's basically a bunch of overpriced Italian seafood restaurants.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Cannery Row is now a tourist site; they're no longer processing millions of tons of anchovies there. But there is still some fishing that goes on, outside the protected areas, and you can still buy fresh fish off the docks in various places around Monterey.

In any case, the issue with Sea World is the way the large marine mammals are kept, which is really categorically different from issues with fishing.

Speaking of which, Monterey Bay Aquarium (which everyone should try to see some time in their life) publishes Seafood Watch, a regularly-updated site that helps consumers pick sustainable choices when buying seafood. They also print little wallet-sized foldout references, which makes it easier to just pull something out when you're at the grocery store or restaurant if you can't remember whether swordfish is on the bad list or the good list (it's on the bad list).

e. Oh, also they now have a free app for iOS and Android.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 4, 2014

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

Leperflesh posted:

Speaking of which, Monterey Bay Aquarium (which everyone should try to see some time in their life) publishes Seafood Watch, a regularly-updated site that helps consumers pick sustainable choices when buying seafood. They also print little wallet-sized foldout references, which makes it easier to just pull something out when you're at the grocery store or restaurant if you can't remember whether swordfish is on the bad list or the good list (it's on the bad list).

Don't look at these if you like eating sushi and want that to continue :(

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

tranten posted:

Don't look at these if you like eating sushi and want that to continue :(

There's a guide specific to sushi that tells you what sushi to still eat, though. I love sushi, and my favorite thing is Hamachi, which I guess is not OK, but Hiramasa/Yellowtail, California is apparently a "good alternative." I'm not sure how many restaurants have it, though.

The one take-away for anyone who doesn't want to bother with a guide, though, is that farmed fish is good, if it's a vegetarian-type fish like tilapia, but it's bad for carniverous fish like salmon. Farmed atlantic salmon is everywhere; they feed it fish meal, so basically there's a whole fishing industry just to feed the farmed salmon, and so all the bycatch and overfishing issues are there; plus, the salmon pens in the ocean breed parasites and disease which then get spread to the wild populations. The flesh has to be dyed pink, too, because farmed salmon actually comes out kind of gross off-white color.

Whereas the alaskan wild salmon fishery is well-managed and sustainable, so always pick wild salmon over farmed. But domestic farmed catfish is probably one of the best most sustainable kinds of fish to buy, fed with vegetable sources, doesn't pollute, sustainable, and who doesn't love fried catfish?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Leperflesh posted:

Whereas the alaskan wild salmon fishery is well-managed and sustainable, so always pick wild salmon over farmed. But domestic farmed catfish is probably one of the best most sustainable kinds of fish to buy, fed with vegetable sources, doesn't pollute, sustainable, and who doesn't love fried catfish?

Emphasis on the domestic. South-east Asian catfish is terrible.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

I'm really happy Dungeness Crab is on the good list because that poo poo is delicious.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
If you *really* want to see California, just watch all of these http://blogs.chapman.edu/huell-howser-archives/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

EnsGDT posted:

If you *really* want to see California, just watch all of these http://blogs.chapman.edu/huell-howser-archives/

Huell Howser is the best.

• Locked thread