Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Bosushi! posted:

Haha I was wondering this too. I'm inclined to believe she really is that stupid because Sorin is absolutely dumbfounded and just kind of goes "Holy poo poo, gently caress all of ya'll. I'm leaving"
Yeah, Nissa is kind of played up as being a typical arrogant elf, until after her big "Oh poo poo" moment. I seem to remember a quote from her about being regretful and such, but hell if I know where to find it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Veyrall posted:

Yeah, Nissa is kind of played up as being a typical arrogant elf, until after her big "Oh poo poo" moment. I seem to remember a quote from her about being regretful and such, but hell if I know where to find it again.

One wiki says she left Zendikar to track down Sorin and "drag" him back to help deal with the Eldrazi. I imagine there will be more groveling and begging than dragging.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

jassi007 posted:

How far north of P.burg do you live? I have some family that lives north of the city in Ross Township.

Apollo. I'm pretty sure nobody who doesn't live there knows where it is. Around half an hour south of Kittaning, if you know where that is. I guess looking at a map I'm more 45 minutes ENE of Pittsburgh.

If you're ever in the area and have spare time, send me a PM or email or something. We can meet halfway or whatever. It's always fun to meet fellow goons (based on the one I've actually met.)

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God
Nissa is dumb as hell and I love it. Just the idea that there is a planeswalker out there that is just stupid as all gently caress makes me smile.

She likes flowers and doesn't like snakes or vampires but personally if she had to choose her favorite thing is elves. She also manages to travel with Sorin for a while without figuring out he's a vampire.

"I went to this plane and it didn't have elves and it was boring so I left and I went to another plane and it had elves but they were really mean so I came back here."

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

What a Judas posted:

Actually I'm guessing they just wanted an equal number of male and female characters.

Drop one guy and Nissa, put in Nicol Bolas and Karn. Problem solved. :colbert:

Although I guess they're both male so I'm not sure. Drop Nissa and a guy, put in Karn and make Jhoira a 'walker? I'd be up for that.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Serperoth posted:

Although I guess they're both male so I'm not sure. Drop Nissa and a guy, put in Karn and make Jhoira a 'walker? I'd be up for that.

No Elspeth or Gideon?

I'd love to see what the interactions would be between Nissa and someone like Elspeth. What was it someone here summarized Elspeth's life as? A constant stream of "I didn't ask for this poo poo!"?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

suicidesteve posted:

Apollo. I'm pretty sure nobody who doesn't live there knows where it is. Around half an hour south of Kittaning, if you know where that is. I guess looking at a map I'm more 45 minutes ENE of Pittsburgh.

If you're ever in the area and have spare time, send me a PM or email or something. We can meet halfway or whatever. It's always fun to meet fellow goons (based on the one I've actually met.)

I know where Kittanning is. I used to pass through there often to visit friends at Edinboro university. You ever go to Indiana cards? I've been there once or twice.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

What a Judas posted:

Actually I'm guessing they just wanted an equal number of male and female characters.

Both Kiora and Elspeth are female and significant in this block. Nissa appearing soon in the MTG movie, as Cate Blanchett.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
I'm hoping Nissa's appearance means we'll be returning to Zendikar soon and get some fetchland reprints because prices are really getting out of hand at this point.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Would the prices of fetches just dive at the announcement of a new Zendikar set? The new block should be announced in about a month, right?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Would the prices of fetches just dive at the announcement of a new Zendikar set? The new block should be announced in about a month, right?

I could see them hovering until we find out what order they'll be released in. I mean, if Scalding Tarn isn't released in the first set of the block, I don't see it dropping. And we would have to see if only the enemy fetch lands would be reprinted like with the original Zendikar block.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Not really, because they could very easily not reprint fetches in a return to zendikar block. I don't think they want fetches in standard ever again, really.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

Can't be Zendikar. It's a whole new thing, and in development from before Zendikar was.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

jassi007 posted:

I know where Kittanning is. I used to pass through there often to visit friends at Edinboro university. You ever go to Indiana cards? I've been there once or twice.

I ordered a Thoughtseize from them through TCGPlayer, heh. Indiana's a little far from me - probably about an hour north.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

BizarroAzrael posted:

If you take thoughtseize as an example, yes. It went down before Theros came out from a high of about $65. Here you can see for yourself, http://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Lorwyn/Thoughtseize

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

jassi007 posted:

If you take thoughtseize as an example, yes. It went down before Theros came out from a high of about $65. Here you can see for yourself, http://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Lorwyn/Thoughtseize

The shocklands might be a pretty good indicator as well. They were fairly pricey prior to RTR. http://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Guildpact/Steam+Vents

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

What a Judas posted:

Elspeth is cooler than Nissa. Hell, Tammy Moonsocks is cooler than Nissa.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
We'll probably see Onslaught fetches again in standard in a couple of years, which will not entirely crash the price of Zen fetches, but it will definitely bring them down. Then in the next 10 years we'll see a standard reprint of Zen fetches, but we might even see shocks again before then.

They want the manabases in Modern not to cost $1k, but they can't just make that happen over night. As long as Modern is a thing, we'll see all 10 fetches reprinted a few times and all 10 shocks reprinted a few times (assuming they don't make better versions of them along the way).

It would be pretty reasonable for Modern Masters 2 to have all 10 shocklands again. They just couldn't do it in MM1 because they would have destroyed the value of them while they still were in standard (and in on-shelf packs).

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Bosushi! posted:

The shocklands might be a pretty good indicator as well. They were fairly pricey prior to RTR. http://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Guildpact/Steam+Vents

Friendly reminder that you can buy shocklands for around 2 dollars more than the RTR ones.

And the Starcity prices are about 20~

Makes sense right? :shepface:

Entropic posted:

Elspeth is cooler than Nissa. Hell, Tammy Moonsocks is cooler than Nissa.

I think they're avoiding Elspeth because they don't want to explain her backstory/don't want to get Phyrexians, creatures that look like they belong in horror movies, involved in a movie being released at PG13 without totally butchering their aesthetic.

Tamiyo? No idea.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 17, 2014

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Jabor posted:

Yes, that totally works.

Anything on the cost side of the ability (before the : ) happens immediately when you play the ability. Anything on the effect side (after the : ) happens when the ability resolves.

I don't think it works.

Bringing the Ratchet Bomb back to your hand means that it wouldn't be sacrificed, so its cost was never paid, so the Ratchet Bomb effect wouldn't happen, correct?

The reason that the Mangara / Karakas combo works is because exiling Mangara is part of the effect, not part of the cost. If Mangara read "Tap, Exile Mangara: Exile target permanent" then the return to hand shenanigan wouldn't work.

Feel free to correct me if I'm terribly wrong!

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Devor posted:

I don't think it works.

Bringing the Ratchet Bomb back to your hand means that it wouldn't be sacrificed, so its cost was never paid, so the Ratchet Bomb effect wouldn't happen, correct?

The reason that the Mangara / Karakas combo works is because exiling Mangara is part of the effect, not part of the cost. If Mangara read "Tap, Exile Mangara: Exile target permanent" then the return to hand shenanigan wouldn't work.

It does work in this instance since Trading Post allows you to sac a creature to return an artifact to your hand and the Ratchet Bomb would already be in the graveyard.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Wizards is in zero rush to reprint poo poo. You guys have to constantly remind yourself that people who even know what the formats even are makes up a minority of their customers.

They do an amazing job re-introducing cards considering that fact, but just because Maro says "Yeah we want to reprint it soon" means loving diddly.

The oft-spoken reprint of Commander that was being printed-right-this-second-we-promise hasn't even materialized yet.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

CountFosco posted:

I don't think they want fetches in standard ever again, really.
What makes you say that? I haven't run across anything that makes me think that fetchlands made Standard some kind of terrible thing while they were around? I mean, most people attribute that to the Mind Sculptor and Valakut before that.

Stinky Pit posted:

You guys have to constantly remind yourself that people who even know what the formats even are makes up a minority of their customers.
Can you remind me where we got this information? I don't doubt it's true, I just don't know how the Magic community as a whole became aware of this particular thing.

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.

Devor posted:

I don't think it works.

Covered sort of briefly above but just to clarify some, from your question's wording maybe you have Trading Post's ability confused? Post brings an artifact back from the graveyard, not the battlefield. Saccing Ratchet Bomb is part of its cost so it goes to the yard and its ability to the stack. Then with it still on the stack you can respond by saccing a creature to activate the Trading Post and get the bomb out of the yard before its ability resolves and blows up the token.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Veyrall posted:

I just don't know how the Magic community as a whole became aware of this particular thing.

Last reputable numbers we got to see for participation in any form of organized play, sealed, standard, draft, anything, was right before the New World Order. 138,500 players out of an estimated customer base that even conservative estimates put at 6 million.

Magic has grown a lot since the last time we got clear numbers but nothing implies that the relationship between total players and players in organized play has changed by much. While they have been far more quiet about numbers of players, Hasbro showed that the WOTC subsidiary essentially doubled sales two years on the trot following the NWO, around the same time period some people "mined" the Planeswalker Points website to find that total DCI Numbers issued was somewhere north of 400,000, those numbers should be taken with a grain of salt though since A) its just some dudes on forums and B) total DCI numbers aren't reflective of active participants.

If I was a betting man, the impact of Duals of the Planeswalkers, and all the new digital content like Spellslingers and Friday Nights has likely pushed the relationship even harder in favor of the casual players.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 17, 2014

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

You may see a small trickle of Zen fetches at some point this year in auxiliary product, but it won't be in any significant quantity. The next time you see them in a fall set won't be until at least 2015, at which point they'll appear alongside Onslaught fetches. (Remember that Theros represented a shift in manabase principles. You will now get all friendly and enemy lands within a block, instead of half of them in the core set.)

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

The March Hare posted:

I wish to hell that the old misprinted FBB revised german forests printed onto plains were tournament playable. Such a sweet misprint.

Slightly belatedly, what are these? I don't know of them. (And why wouldn't they be tournament playable? Wrong size? Too confusing?)

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Its a misprinted Revised card that looks like a plains, has plains art and coloring but whose rules text reads "Forest" and "Tap to add G to your mana pool"

In German obv.

There's also a Spanish mishap where the Serra Angel rules text was printed on the art and frame for Time Elemental

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Prism posted:

Slightly belatedly, what are these? I don't know of them. (And why wouldn't they be tournament playable? Wrong size? Too confusing?)

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Stinky Pit posted:

There's also a Spanish mishap where the Serra Angel rules text was printed on the art and frame for Time Elemental

Those are worth large bunches of dollars if memory serves me

e: Hot protip for you guys, MPR Cryptics are blowing up. Grab them at your LGS if you can at anything south of $50.

The Wonder Weapon fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 17, 2014

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Boxman posted:

Fluff question about Nissa, since I wasn't around for RoE. Is she just supposed to be really stupid? The MTGsalvation wiki says that instead of reinforcing the hedrons, and broke them and released the Eldrazi because she thought they would run away for some reason. Was that better explained ever? Because a one sentence description makes it sound like maybe the dumbest thing any hero in MTG history has done.
I'd heard that In the Teeth of Akoum was a crap book so despite having it on my Kindle I hadn't read it until this made me want to look it up. And holy poo poo but that was a virgin manuscript unsullied by the eyes of an editor. I hope it was just their digitisation process because if that went to physical print in that state someone should have been fired. Though proofing the ebook version shouldn't be so much extra effort so I hope someone still got booted.

Anyway, it's pretty loving dumb but it has a bit of an explanation. She and other characters in the book work out that the Eldrazi weren't native to Zendikar and just ended up imprisoned here. The assumption that the Eldrazi don't have any reason to stay isn't especially sound from there but there's a little sense to it. Anowon, the vampire archaeologist who's along for the ride also asserts that they'll bugger off (in what seems to be just wishful thinking but Nissa doesn't know that.) Nissa's seen far more of the broods trying to free the other Eldrazi than of the proper plane devouring so she doesn't really seem to get how uncaring or voracious they are. Sorin tells her eventually but I think it doesn't have a proper emotional impact and she's locked into her decision by then.

There's also the assumption that the wildness of Zendikar's mana and terrain is caused by the Eldrazi's imprisonment. Sorin admits that it's a bit of a factor but says it's not too much. Nissa and Anowon ignore that and just assume their plane will be better if they're freed. There's some FOR ZENDIKAR :downs: when Nissa smashes the titan imprisoning hedron. Needless to say, the vastly older, wiser and more powerful creator of the Eldrazi prison is right and Zendikar's Roil is still quite intact when the titans go free.

They also have a crazy kor who thinks she can speak to the Eldrazi and help convince them on their way. Believing her shouldn't be a factor because a) she's batshit, b) she's thinks she can do this and that the Eldrazi can be freed because she's been influenced by a remnant of the Eldrazi who are not a loving unbiased source, c) Sorin toasts her for being a nutjob slave of the Eldrazi before Nissa gets around to smashing the prison seal. I sort of think Nissa as portrayed in the book hasn't actually got around to considering any/all of these factors as she goes to free the Eldrazi. A bit of blind trust, wishful thinking and momentum where her worldview hasn't quite yet adapted to the fact that Sorin smoked crazy lady a few seconds ago.

I guess it's sort of that Nissa's shortsighted, tends to take a lot on faith and doesn't adapt well to change more than an attempt to portray someone with an IQ of 20. Though she still comes off as really goddamn thick.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Is this one of you in the Scapeshift video?
http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/article.asp?ID=11650

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

WuChou posted:

Maybe you have Trading Post's ability confused?

Yep, thanks :shobon:

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Serperoth posted:

Really they should just make one for all the walkers*. Toss in some oldwalkers/big names too (Jhoira, Jaya Ballard, Thalia, etc) and you'd have people snapping that poo poo up like hotcakes. Everyone knows nerds love their little collectible things - and these are even already based on a collectible game.

*except Tibalt, because nobody likes him.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I like Tibalt, if only because of how mad he makes everyone for being so very very terrible.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Zero_Grade posted:

Really they should just make one for all the walkers*. Toss in some oldwalkers/big names too (Jhoira, Jaya Ballard, Thalia, etc) and you'd have people snapping that poo poo up like hotcakes. Everyone knows nerds love their little collectible things - and these are even already based on a collectible game.

*except Tibalt, because nobody likes him.

Tibalt's visual design is kind of fun, he's just bad at being a card. :saddowns:

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Vomax posted:

Tibalt's visual design is kind of fun, he's just bad at being a card. :saddowns:

He's not even that bad, he's cool and unique. You have to be very careful with the amount of value that you can potentially get out of a 2 mana planeswalker.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

an skeleton posted:

He's not even that bad, he's cool and unique. You have to be very careful with the amount of value that you can potentially get out of a 2 mana planeswalker.

Tibalt's greatest legacy is that he came out the set before "The One-Mana Planeswalker", a card so powerful that it's banned from Modern, thus somehow justifying how lovely they made him.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Drama! Cheating? Honest mistake? This is ... Mana Burned. I am your host.

YouTube Video posted:

Javier Dominguez untaps, draws and casts Brainstorm with one card in hand. Looks at the top three cards, picks up his hand of one and adds the three to it. Puts one card down, looks at his hand, looks at the card, then puts the card on top of his library. Puts Brainstorm into his graveyard, plays Misty Rainforest, plays Delver of Secrets, passes the turn with one card in hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZbvhKQ1ZrY

Peanut Gallery. WHAT IS HIS FATE? Condemnation for cheating? Is Brainstorm the new Explore? YOU DECIDE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Bosushi! posted:

Yeah, taking Vents as an example it looks like they dipped around the time of the announcement, but climbed around M13 to pre-DKA levels, presumably people wanting to be prepared for the new standard and responding to spoilers, before dipping to their current level after release with a bit of a spike with the standard rotation at Theros's release.

Won't worry about it too much then, just have 2 play-sets of fetches I'm not using, which have already tripled in value since I bought them. Anything that will serious damage to the value will probably give me a fair warning, and in the mean time I have the land if I ever dare to play something in Modern besides Affinity.

• Locked thread