Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I hung out with my buddy and a girl he's loving the other night and, for the second time, she accused me of torture because I catch and release. I thought she was joking the first time.

I googled the subject and I guess the idea that catch and release is torture is prevalent enough to be endorsed by PETA. What the heck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
PETA takes an awful stance towards fishing, color me surprised

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Is there a scientific reason to believe catch and release is torture? Every argument I've found says "study says fish feel pain" but the best they can show is that fish react to what we would consider pain, i.e., they automatically react to aversive stimuli. I always thought most fish brains had incredibly short term memories. That's why you can catch a fish, throw it back, and catch it again a minute later if you're lucky. Or maybe it's stupid to relate fish brains to human brains at all.

The funny thing? Chick was fine with fishing so long as you kill and eat it.

edit: Also when someone gets the time can I add some updates to the OP with better catfishing techniques (chicken livers are the best bait? don't make me laugh)? :mrgw:

Mulaney Power Move fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Feb 15, 2014

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Some Other Guy posted:

I always thought most fish brains had incredibly short term memories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3LZtfslbRA

Nope.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I thought he was going to pick one up and swallow it but he didn't

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
Fishing with the intention to catch and release is illegal in Switzerland. (Also Germany, basically).

Fortunately, you can release fish for ecological reasons, and since no one can tell that you "intend" to release fish, I release every wild trout I catch. Hatchery trout and eel I eat.

While I'm an ardent C&R supporter, I can't say I don't see the point the animal rights people make. I'm putting a hook in a fishes' mouth, causing high levels of stress, and then putting it back where there's a chance it will die that increases greatly based on the length of the fight and water temp, all purely for my own amusement. I'd be lying if I said I don't feel a bit guilty about it when I really think about it. Plus a ton of people are really lovely at C&R.

That said I'm REALLY looking forward to my 3 week work sabbatical in Montana this summer, where I'll do nothing but catch and release fish, tie flies, hang out with some rod builders, and get acquainted with some bourbons and local microbrews.

Armed Neutrality fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 16, 2014

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Armed Neutrality posted:

Fishing with the intention to catch and release is illegal in Switzerland. (Also Germany, basically).

God drat am I proud to be an American

edit: According to what I read you're supposed to instantly kill anything you catch? That doesn't make any rational or ethical sense to me. Why not just sack up and ban fishing altogether? I think they're just guilty about the whole accepting gold from the nazis/being nazis thing.

Mulaney Power Move fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 15, 2014

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

Some Other Guy posted:

God drat am I proud to be an American

edit: According to what I read you're supposed to instantly kill anything you catch? That doesn't make any rational or ethical sense to me. Why not just sack up and ban fishing altogether? I think they're just guilty about the whole accepting gold from the nazis/being nazis thing.

You're supposed to kill any targeted species of legal size provided they're the minimum length and not out of season. The killing also has to be done a certain way, a knock on the head followed by immediate gutting or slitting the artery below the gills. Fortunately there's more than enough wiggle room within the parameters of the law, which is great because there are some mindblowingly gorgeous places to fish here. Most fly fishermen think the way I do, fortunately once a group of us get together and lease the rights to a section of river we can establish fly fishing only sections, as well as set our own size limits to the point where most fish aren't allowed to be kept.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Most the places I fish are fished down so I try to C&R unless I gut hook something. Then it's either food or bait. I also bend the barbs out of hooks but part of that is because I mostly use circle hooks and they're a pain in the rear end to take out with the barb in.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Fun Shoe
Looking at fish finders for my kayak and I really like the Raymarine Dragonfly. Anyone here have any experience with it?

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I have a fairly cheap Eagle Cuda fish finder myself on my kayak, between the fish finder, battery and materials to install it, I manage to do everything for $100. It is a low end fish finder but it tells me depth, temperature and can point out structures and if something happened and my kayak got flipped and it got dismounted I am not out a ton of cash.

On the plus side, installing them is fairly easy on kayaks with some PVC pipe and a bit of ingenuity.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Fun Shoe

Rythe posted:

On the plus side, installing them is fairly easy on kayaks with some PVC pipe and a bit of ingenuity.

I'll have to figure out something for the transducer, but RAM makes a lot of good stuff too. I like blowing money on stupid things, this is just my current target.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

If you have a rear storage area with a scupper hole in it, you can mount the transducer through that, I used a bit of PVC pipe, electrical tape and some silicon glue to mount it all and have been going strong for 3 years now and still nicely in place.

This is my actual set-up I rigged a few years back and have had zero issues with it and cost around $8 to rig.

^^^ that is seriously a long twist tie I doubled back on its self a few times for proper length and covered in electrical tape.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I just got the Garmin Echo 150 but I haven't installed it yet and it's still too cold to go out, but for a $100 finder it gets excellent reviews and aside from a power cable that is comically short (less than three feet) it should install easily enough on my trident 13.

A lot of people seem to mount the transducer inside the hull and it's a fairly easy process, but it's probably better to get the transducer in the water if you can, although I think the only thing you'd sacrifice is an accurate temp reading.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

Gozinbulx posted:

Hey a fishing thread!

Can any of you guys recommend me a good forum where they specifcially discuss good fishing spots for your area? In my case, off shore saltwater fishing in South Florida.

Any suggestions?

I do a lot of offshore fishing in south fl. Dont have a forum I read but I can probably help you out. I do a lot of fishing out of port everglades, haulover inlet, and black point. Mostly spearfishing but some hook and line as well. Catch lots of mahi and sometimes hoo's off shore. Not big into sails or swords or deep dropping. But I know a decent amount about it. Keep in mind with offshore fishing there isnt so much "areas" as there are tactics of following the patterns of currents and fish migration. Ive caught fish at every depth imaginable.

IM FROM THE FUTURE fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 18, 2014

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
This is a fundamental question I've never really pondered before, and don't want to ask on my local fishing forum, since I fear I'll get a whole shitload of stupidity from all sides:

In a given weight clear monofilament, is there really a difference to the casual fisherman (a few times a week in the summer, once a week until the rivers freeze up in the winter)between a line that's $5 for 300 yards, one that's $12 for 300 yards, one that's $20 for 250 yards, and one that's $8 for 650 yards?

I'm assuming most of the claims made by "premium" fishing line is a crock like "30% better knot strength" and "invisible to fish" and blah blah blah.

Am I wrong? Is premium worth it? I'm loath to lose a fish because I paid $4 for my spool of line instead of $8, so I usually buy the mid-level stuff, but would I notice a lick of difference if I just bought a couple bulk spools and called it a day?

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 18, 2014

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

stealie72 posted:

This is a fundamental question I've never really pondered before, and don't want to ask on my local fishing forum, since I fear I'll get a whole shitload of stupidity from all sides:

In a given weight clear monofilament, is there really a difference to the casual fisherman (a few times a week in the summer, once a week until the rivers freeze up in the winter)between a line that's $5 for 300 yards, one that's $12 for 300 yards, one that's $20 for 250 yards, and one that's $8 for 650 yards?

I'm assuming most of the claims made by "premium" fishing line is a crock like "30% better knot strength" and "invisible to fish" and blah blah blah.

Am I wrong? Is premium worth it? I'm loath to lose a fish because I paid $4 for my spool of line instead of $8, so I usually buy the mid-level stuff, but would I notice a lick of difference if I just bought a couple bulk spools and called it a day?

That's definitely a fair question, and while I think that some of the 'claims' are probably crappy, I have experienced first hand some really crappy fishing line. I forget what the brand was but I bought it because it was like $2 for 300 yards. I had so many fish just break off it was unreal. I was using 8 lb test and was getting just broken off all the time. I switched back to(still cheap) stren and didn't have the problem anymore.

Things like 'invisible to fish' might actually be true in some cases, I know clear Flourocarbon lines are pretty much invisible underwater, they can also have less stretch than mono in some cases, which in certain situations is a big plus. Some of the cheaper mono out there might have more of a 'memory problem' than others as well.

That said, I think are just fine with the mid grade stuff, it's what I've used almost my entire life. Stay away from the super cheap bargain bin stuff and you'll be fine.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

Armed Neutrality posted:

Fortunately, you can release fish for ecological reasons, and since no one can tell that you "intend" to release fish, I release every wild trout I catch. Hatchery trout and eel I eat.

While I'm an ardent C&R supporter, I can't say I don't see the point the animal rights people make. I'm putting a hook in a fishes' mouth, causing high levels of stress, and then putting it back where there's a chance it will die that increases greatly based on the length of the fight and water temp, all purely for my own amusement. I'd be lying if I said I don't feel a bit guilty about it when I really think about it. Plus a ton of people are really lovely at C&R.

That said I'm REALLY looking forward to my 3 week work sabbatical in Montana this summer, where I'll do nothing but catch and release fish, tie flies, hang out with some rod builders, and get acquainted with some bourbons and local microbrews.

I lived in Germany for a while. I was very supprised to when I found out that it was illigal. I was told they felt it was cruel and more tramatic to the fish.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
If catching a fish is too traumatic for the fish then outlaw fishing. I don't see how putting a fish through the same amount of stress but then killing it is better than giving it a chance to live...

I'm a 90% C&R fisherman, but I'd much rather have a hook stuck through my lip and be pulled around for 30 seconds than I would have a hook stuck through my lip and be pulled around for 30 seconds and THEN be killed.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

causticBeet posted:

PETA takes an awful stance towards fishing, color me surprised
I'm just going to put this out there to remind people how seriously to take PETA. http://features.peta.org/PETASeaKittens/

(The animated avatars are :krad: )

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

DoctaFun posted:

If catching a fish is too traumatic for the fish then outlaw fishing. I don't see how putting a fish through the same amount of stress but then killing it is better than giving it a chance to live...

I'm a 90% C&R fisherman, but I'd much rather have a hook stuck through my lip and be pulled around for 30 seconds than I would have a hook stuck through my lip and be pulled around for 30 seconds and THEN be killed.

In the same way that its mostly illegal to torture animals, but its not illegal to kill them humanely and eat them. Fishing for meat has a purpose of collecting food to eat. C&R is basically just for the fun of it. I dont agree with the law but I can see the angle they are coming from.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

IM FROM THE FUTURE posted:

In the same way that its mostly illegal to torture animals, but its not illegal to kill them humanely and eat them. Fishing for meat has a purpose of collecting food to eat. C&R is basically just for the fun of it. I dont agree with the law but I can see the angle they are coming from.

That's not a proper comparison though. It's:

torture animal vs. torture animal and then kill it for meat. I kind of almost see the angle, but it doesn't make sense since you are 'torturing' the animal either way. Maybe it's best not to try to understand it :psyduck:

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Okay: kayak fishing.

I'm divorced now, so I need a hobby outside of running/lifting. I grew up on a trophy lake in Louisiana (which has since deteriorated), so I have plenty of experience bass & bream fishing. I'll mostly concentrate on fishing freshwater spillways, a small-ish lake (Old River), and occasionally Lake Pontchartrain and some of the tributaries that come off of it.

The foremost question in my mind is how do you access any gear behind the seat? I've read most folks' opinion online that you should just turn & sit side-saddle to accomplish this. 9+ months out of the year here, that's not a problem. But what about the colder months? I've read the observations of a few kayak fishermen who say that you should pivot around onto your stomach so that you're facing aft and do your business that way. I've done plenty of fishing and running lines on a pirogue (a canoe/kayak hybrid), so I'm not too terribly concerned about paddling or any of the other eccentricities of the sport; I think I'll fare okay and I have both a swimming pool and a few bodies of water to practice re-entry in.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Fun Shoe

C2C - 2.0 posted:

The foremost question in my mind is how do you access any gear behind the seat?

I can reach behind me just fine by just turning my upper body. Don't make any big sudden movements and keep your head over the kayak itself and you should be fine.

Got a new toy in today!

Need to figure out how I'm going to mount the transducer and then it needs to warm up so I can start getting out again.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I can turn my body to the side in my kayak (OK trident 13 angler) and just sit indian style, without getting my legs in the water. Just always keep your center of gravity, which might be harder to do if you're just reaching behind you, depending on what you're reaching for.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
I can't stop sperging about line, so another question:

Am I going to see the benefits of braid/flouro line for bank fishing? I get that a more sensitive line with less flex is awesome if you're trailing 200+ yards of it behind your boat, but the only time I even let out 100 yards is when I'm letting a bobber float in the river when I'm steelhead fishing.

I think it might be nice to have a more sensitive line in general, but it seems that the tradeoff for braid is that it's clearly visible underwater, and the tradeoff for flouro line is that it's generally less supple and harder to spincast, and both are less forgiving to the rod and allow fewer mistakes on hook setting.

Or, put another way: I have a new spinning reel with two spools that I need to fill. These will be going on a 6'6" medium action rod. I mostly bank fish on rivers, lake erie, and in a few smaller inland lakes. For these general purposes, what line should I get. I've already got a pretty light spincast setup and two baitcasting setups (a midweight one for working weeds for bass, and a heavier duty setup for dropshotting for cats).

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I make sure when I position and load all my gear on land I can reach everything from my seat without having to lift my rear end off the seat. I can normally reach all my poles by reaching over my shoulder and all my tackle and equipment can be reached by turning my body about 45 degrees and easily reach behind me without offsetting the center of balance. In the summer time it is even easier since I have my feet dangling off the side of the kayak most the time.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

fknlo posted:

I can reach behind me just fine by just turning my upper body. Don't make any big sudden movements and keep your head over the kayak itself and you should be fine.

Got a new toy in today!

Need to figure out how I'm going to mount the transducer and then it needs to warm up so I can start getting out again.

Hey, I've got one too! I posted about it like 3 weeks ago:

Gozinbulx posted:

I finally bought a fish finder.

This badboy: http://www.raymarine.com/view/?id=7655#.UuqFGPldWvs

Hopefully I can find some actual fish in Biscayne Bay.

I've since had installed. On a 25 foot open fisherman, so quite a bit different than a kayak.

So far, the thing is pretty drat sweet, but Ive never had a fish finder (or GPS) so its all new to me.

I thought I would be using down vision more but I can't seem to find poo poo on it. I see fish much more on the sonar than the downvision. I need to mess around more with the sensitivity an contrast or something. I've tried to idle on top of some marked wrecks to get a sweet screenshot but have yet to see anything. When something DOES show up on the downvision, it is astoundingly clear. Its all bottom structure up to this point though. The screenshots on Raymarines website contains way more detail than I am getting. But like I said, I think i just need to adjust the settings.

In terms of actual use, I was going slowly through Biscayne channel (Stiltsville), on the edge, and saw a bunch of fish at one point. I pulled off out of the channel and got near the flats and threw the anchor out. I caught a bunch of grunts (threw them back) but eventually caught my first trigger fish! Ate that sucker later. So it does work.

In regard to the C&R argument: To me fishing has always been about catching food, but I can understand the appeal of just the challenge of catching them.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
I'm at a cabin in the woods near a mountain range ice fishing for the first time at a lake. Anyone have suggestions on good spots to look out for?

So far I've caught one small perch near the shore of an island. Provided a small butter fried snack but not much more , and I saved an eye as bait on a hook, is that going to help attract fish? It's the dead of winter and civilization is 20 km away so buying bait is a little bit inconvenient.

I'm fishing for medium/large perch for eating, mid-central Sweden.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Fun Shoe
Finally got around to installing the Raymarine Dragonfly I bought a few weeks back. Nowhere near warm enough to fish yet, but at least it's done.

First thing, I started with this battery. It comes in a waterproof box and includes a charger. I converted the power cable on the fish finder to a DC coaxial plug.

A couple shots of the battery

And mounted inside with velcro.

For the mount I used the Lowrance scupper mount. I was going to build my own, but couldn't find what I had in mind locally. Since I'm not using a Lowrance fish finder, I had to modify it.

The attachment point on the transducer is too tall, so I filed it down a bit. This shouldn't be an issue if I ever build something a little sturdier.

I used a 2 inch washer as a backing plate as the stock plate didn't want to sit on top of it.

View of the bottom. Hidden pretty well, shouldn't hit much.

All done on this end. I used the Hobie Thru Hull Wiring Kit to run the wires into the kayak. Some Goop for extra protection.

Hopefully it warms up soon and I can get out on the water.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Noice. You should have alot of fun with it. It's quite a machine for such a low price (compared to other fish finders for fishing boats).

Also too cold to go out? Sorry don't understand (Miami)

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gozinbulx posted:

Noice. You should have alot of fun with it. It's quite a machine for such a low price (compared to other fish finders for fishing boats).

Also too cold to go out? Sorry don't understand (Miami)
Yes.

And Yes! I'm in Tampa and already wading in just swim trunks and neoprene boots. Redfish are hitting like crazy but most interestingly, the warm water loving Snook has never left and I've caught some of my biggest this winter. Hell 2 Saturday's ago had one of my best snook days with 11 total, and 3 Big ones. All on foot in same spot I fish 300 days a year. Florida is the best.

MaineMan
Jan 10, 2006
Some friends and I are visiting a family member in a retirement community in FL in a week. We've been dallying with regards to making reservations for a charter fishing trip. We're looking at fishing out of Cocoa beach or Sebastion, and are not sure if we should go for near-shore or deepsea fishing. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what would be best this time of year? Or have recommendations for a specific charter outfit? We recreationally fish for bass, pike, etc. up here in the midwest and will be happy to get any sort of ocean fish. Being able to bring some home to eat for the next few days would also be awesome.

/edit: If we packed some heavy action rods with 25 lb or so test line, would we likely have any success surf-fishing?

MaineMan fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 9, 2014

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
You can probably get some nice redfish in the intercostal areas which will be great fun, but some states will stock redfish in their power plant lakes so that may not be as interesting to you.

Mahi-mahi is an amazing fish to catch if you're willing to pay to go offshore. You'd have to use his gear, but its an incredible fight and can lead to more fish on the line very easily if you get into a school of them. I'd see what the water temps look like (they prefer temps over 68), but if its not too cold, you'll probably find someone willing to take you out trolling for them. Even better is they are a large fish with tons of meat that tastes absolutely amazing.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Biggest fish I've caught thus far was a 12kg mirror carp which ain't bad considering I'm a novice. May have to travel to the states once I get better at this because there seems to be a much bigger variety out there than the stuff we get here in the UK.

MaineMan
Jan 10, 2006

Elmnt80 posted:

You can probably get some nice redfish in the intercostal areas which will be great fun, but some states will stock redfish in their power plant lakes so that may not be as interesting to you.

Mahi-mahi is an amazing fish to catch if you're willing to pay to go offshore. You'd have to use his gear, but its an incredible fight and can lead to more fish on the line very easily if you get into a school of them. I'd see what the water temps look like (they prefer temps over 68), but if its not too cold, you'll probably find someone willing to take you out trolling for them. Even better is they are a large fish with tons of meat that tastes absolutely amazing.

We're fine paying for a charter, just want to maximize our chances. Thinking of going with this guy, a full day ocean trip for $135 (probably with people outside of our group, but some of us are in grad school and don't have tons of cash): http://roguewavefishing.com/index.php

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Since I don't really have anything better to do this week, and I haven't been fishing in at least 10 years or so... Is there any good fishing in central Texas this time of year? Bass fishing in particular, since I've never caught a bass before in my life and I'm sick of catching nothing but catfish.

Or really any kind of trophy fishing... for a lightweight... if that even exists.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 11, 2014

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Fun Shoe

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Since I don't really have anything better to do this week, and I haven't been fishing in at least 10 years or so... Is there any good fishing in central Texas this time of year? Bass fishing in particular, since I've never caught a bass before in my life and I'm sick of catching nothing but catfish.

Or really any kind of trophy fishing... for a lightweight... if that even exists.

I drove down to Texoma tonight, if I have any luck tomorrow I'll let you know. Time to see if the fish finder works.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

That sounds great. I'm trying to think if there are any good places to do some bass fishing from shore around Lake Travis, or if I should just suck it up and try to rent a boat somewhere or something. I guess I'll need to buy a new rod, too...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

fknlo posted:

I drove down to Texoma tonight, if I have any luck tomorrow I'll let you know. Time to see if the fish finder works.

I need to make it out to Texoma sometime before I leave TX next year, I always loved chasing the Stripers on that lake. Those fish give you a heck of a run in your kayak too and they taste so good. Let me know how the lake looks with water levels, it has been over a year since I last made it out there.