Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
And let's not forget Dutch in Transformers 3, a human character you actually don't want to see murdered horribly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Squalitude posted:

And let's not forget Dutch in Transformers 3, the only human character you actually don't want to see murdered horribly!

Fixed that for you.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
My favorite Alan Tudyk role is his uncredited performance in Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, which is one of the least subtle movies ever made.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.
Still blows my mind that he was also the voice of King Candy in Wreck-It Ralph.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Here's one from The Lego Movie, which is loving brilliant, if you haven't seen it:

The 8 1/2 year gap after the first scene where Lord Business obtains the Kragle represents The Man Upstairs' son growing old enough to become interested in his father's Lego collection.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Hughlander posted:

He also subverted that a few years ago with his character in V. Who acts as a normal Alan Tudyk character but then is actually an alien spying on humans.

He also played a pedophile on an episode of CSI.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

He played the main villain in Dollhouse and, while the show was pretty poo poo, he was very convincing of his psychosis.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

volts5000 posted:

It was a great Ed Wynn homage!

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Oh, look, it's Steve the pirate!

KozmoNaut posted:

On a semi-related note, Alan Tudyk played an extremely creepy and cold-blooded Canadian hitman on Justified in the current season. It was very odd coming from all the good-natured goofy characters he usually portrays. That was a pretty good subtle moment for me.

Same thing with Walton Goggins in Sons Of Anarchy, although there was absolutely nothing subtle about that particular cameo :bigtran:

Hughlander posted:

He also subverted that a few years ago with his character in V. Who acts as a normal Alan Tudyk character but then is actually an alien spying on humans.

Squalitude posted:

And let's not forget Dutch in Transformers 3, a human character you actually don't want to see murdered horribly!

Henchman of Santa posted:

My favorite Alan Tudyk role is his uncredited performance in Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, which is one of the least subtle movies ever made.

volts5000 posted:

10 Beers posted:

He also played a pedophile on an episode of CSI.

Inzombiac posted:

He played the main villain in Dollhouse and, while the show was pretty poo poo, he was very convincing of his psychosis.

Wait, are you guy's talking about Ann's dad?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Would you prefer some... alcohol? :crossarms:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Centripetal Horse posted:

Wait, are you guy's talking about Ann's dad?

Her?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Michael's reactions and references to Ann are some of the best jokes on the show.

"All right, well, just load her up in the car."

(Michael often makes veiled references to Ann resembling a hog)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Professor Shark posted:

Would you prefer some... alcohol? :crossarms:

Would you like us to go down to the liquor store, and get you some liquor?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Professor Shark posted:

Michael's reactions and references to Ann are some of the best jokes on the show.

I rarely got the impression that he was doing it intentionally though. It's like it just slips out. And continues to do so, I mean we know he doesn't like her, but I don't think he's trying to stealth burn her either.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

He was also in the criminally underrated Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Brocktoon posted:

Here's one from The Lego Movie, which is loving brilliant, if you haven't seen it:

The 8 1/2 year gap after the first scene where Lord Business obtains the Kragle represents The Man Upstairs' son growing old enough to become interested in his father's Lego collection.

It is brilliant and I did not catch this. Very nice.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Bown posted:

Would you like us to go down to the liquor store, and get you some liquor?

Your memory is better than mine. I think he clears his throat after the comma, which really makes the judgement obvious and hilarious.

syscall girl posted:

I rarely got the impression that he was doing it intentionally though. It's like it just slips out. And continues to do so, I mean we know he doesn't like her, but I don't think he's trying to stealth burn her either.

You're right that it doesn't seem intentional. I was actually thinking about it more after I posted, and I think a lot of his statements come out as a result of him desperately trying to show George Michael that he remembers Ann (he doesn't remember Ann), so he just blurts out that last association he made with her.

For example, he claims that he hasn't really been able to get to know Ann because George Michael has been hogging her- he's being an Ann hog! :haw:

Later on (same episode, later episode, can't remember) he makes the statement about "loading her up".

Same with when he calls her Egg; he remembers some story about her that George Michael was telling him that has to do with eggs, so it just comes out.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

Professor Shark posted:

Your memory is better than mine. I think he clears his throat after the comma, which really makes the judgement obvious and hilarious.

You're right that it doesn't seem intentional. I was actually thinking about it more after I posted, and I think a lot of his statements come out as a result of him desperately trying to show George Michael that he remembers Ann (he doesn't remember Ann), so he just blurts out that last association he made with her.

For example, he claims that he hasn't really been able to get to know Ann because George Michael has been hogging her- he's being an Ann hog! :haw:

Later on (same episode, later episode, can't remember) he makes the statement about "loading her up".

Same with when he calls her Egg; he remembers some story about her that George Michael was telling him that has to do with eggs, so it just comes out.

gently caress you

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

Getting upset (or something).

You tell em!

Professor Shark has a new favorite as of 23:28 on Feb 17, 2014

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Ann. Her? Hog. Get off that her hog. Her ann egg. Ann her egg hog. Egg? Ann. Egg hog. Hog Ann egg

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

Ann. Her? Hog. Get off that her hog. Her ann egg. Ann her egg hog. Egg? Ann. Egg hog. Hog Ann egg

Haha nice

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Lmao. Yes. This is my poo poo. So subtle.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The sports theme in George Michael's room is a joke because he ducks and covers whenever anything is thrown to him (like a baseball, football, basketball).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The best Ann joke might actually be from the fourth season after GOB sleeps with her.

"How's your egg?"
"I said you were fine!"

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

The best Ann joke might actually be from the fourth season after GOB sleeps with her.

"How's your egg?"
"I said you were fine!"

gently caress you

***has weirdo breakdown because Arrested Development leaked into the Subtle Moments thread***

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

The sports theme in George Michael's room is a joke because he ducks and covers whenever anything is thrown to him (like a baseball, football, basketball).

This one's good actually.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Another one from The Lego Movie, which I only just noticed while watching cutscenes in the videogame:

At the beginning, Vitruvius has a "wooden" staff with a glowing blue gem, which Lord Business smashes when they fight. When we see him again, he's replaced his staff with a mostly-eaten green lollipop.

I sure there's a million subtle tings in that movie, but unfortunately the depth of field in the theater we were in was blurry as poo poo, and they never fixed it, despite complaining multiple times. I can't wait to see it again...in a better theater.

Goofus Giraffe
Sep 26, 2007
Here's something from the 1931 Rouben Mamoulian film Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. I have quite a lot to say about Mamoulian's use of sculptures and paintings of women throughout the film, but my favorite little bit of ekphrasis in the film is in the following shot:

So, for context, Jekyll sees Ivy, the woman on the right, being attacked by a man. He chases the guy off and carries Ivy up to her room to recuperate. Ivy, who is a bar singer/archetypal fallen woman and of lower social standing than Jekyll, scandalously removes her stockings in front of him in a lingering shot, then grabs and kisses him (fun fact: this is a pre-Hays Code film, and when it was re-released, eight minutes of it were removed, most of them revolving around Ivy). Jekyll's associate Lanyon walks in and interrupts, and we get to the shot pictured above. What's so special about it? The painting between Jekyll and Lanyon: Diego Velázquez' Rokeby Venus (linked in case your workplace frowns upon well-known nudes of the 17th century).

So, on one level, we can read this painting as a counterpoint to Ivy. Both Venus and Ivy are nude at this point, and Mamoulian is contrasting high art with the lower class surroundings of Ivy's boardinghouse room, and contrasting artistic nudity with Ivy's sexualized nudity. However, it gets more interesting if we look into what happened to that painting in 1914: suffragette Mary Richardson went up to the painting in the National Gallery and slashed at it multiple times with a meat cleaver. If we look at contemporary newspaper accounts, the vandalism was described with terms like "cruel wounds" and the Rokeby Venus was a "victim." By including the Rokeby Venus, Mamoulian gives the sequence similar violent connotations and issues of objectification that arise time and time again throughout the film.

To return to the film sequence, it should be noted that the painting is by-and-large visually aligned with Jekyll: until Lanyon appears, the painting and Jekyll occupy roughly the same space in the frame. In doing so, Mamoulian pairs Jekyll with the painting's issues of violence against and objectification of women, foreshadowing what Jekyll will do in the form of Hyde: he repeatedly, violently sexually assaults Ivy, and eventually outright kills her. This also reminds us that Hyde's actions are just manifestations of Jekyll's desires. This carries more weight later on in the film, where Hyde's violence toward Ivy is visually associated with a number of statues and portraits of female nudes. In short, the Rokeby Venus is more-or-less Jekyll's thought bubble.

It is only much later into the film that we again see Jekyll onscreen with a painting of a woman. This time, however, it is a painting of a powerful lady who isn't a "victim" like the Rokeby Venus, and at this moment in the film Jekyll is at his lowest, having just shown Lanyon that he and Hyde are one and the same, and that therefore Hyde's crimes are Jekyll's, too:

Queen Victoria! :britain:

My apologies for only posting stuff about older films. It isn't that I'm a snob or something, I just find it really difficult to delve as deeply into anything that came about after the mid-sixties for some reason.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Goofus Giraffe posted:

My apologies for only posting stuff about older films. It isn't that I'm a snob or something, I just find it really difficult to delve as deeply into anything that came about after the mid-sixties for some reason.

Don't apologize, I love old films and there are so many I haven't had a chance to see that I eat up stuff like this.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
Do Double Indemnity next

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Seriously, age of the film is no reason whatsoever to apologize. In-depth analysis is very interesting.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

That poo poo was cool. Do more.

Goofus Giraffe
Sep 26, 2007
Thanks for the encouragement. I will try to get to Double Indemnity when I get a chance.

For now, I'd like to talk about Hitchcock’s Rebecca. Once again, for context, Maxim de Winter, a widower, marries a girl of lower social standing and brings her to his estate, Manderley. Our unnamed protagonist (we’ll just refer to her as Joan) worries that she is not living up to the standard set by her predecessor, both in her interactions with the staff and with Maxim. To get to the subtleties: the late Rebecca de Winter seems to haunt Manderley in the form of certain objects associated with her. For instance, throughout the film, we see a whole bunch of nice flowerpots, often occupying the foreground, rather than being left in the background. This makes sense, as of course a mansion will have plenty of flower arrangements in it, but it gains a different character, since Mrs. Danvers makes sure to let us know of the late Rebecca’s passion for flower arranging.

However, what I find more interesting is the nearly constant presence empty chairs throughout Rebecca. In almost every sequence featuring Joan that is set inside the mansion itself, there is an empty chair in some prominent space in the background, as an embodied way of saying that Joan cannot take Rebecca’s place. Hitchcock hints at this during a striking sequence between Joan and the housekeeper, Mrs. Danvers. After showing Joan all of the finery of Rebecca’s former room, Danvers motions for Joan to sit down at what was Rebecca’s vanity table. Danvers begins to tell Joan about brushing Rebecca’s hair every night:

Danvers at this point does not brush Joan’s hair, but rather brushes the air around her, as if brushing the hair of the absent Rebecca. Danvers acts as if Rebecca still sits on that stool, even while Joan is right there, getting more and more uncomfortable with every second.

If we look a bit earlier on into the film, we can see what I find the best empty chair shot (that is a weird thing to say). Joan and Maxim watch some home movies of their honeymoon and are having a grand time, but then the film unspools. While Maxim works at it, Frith, the butler, enters the room in order to tell Maxim about the seeming theft of a China Cupid statuette from the house. Danvers has accused another servant of the theft, but, in fact, as she eventually admits, Joan accidentally broke the statuette and shoved the pieces into a desk drawer. At one point during this scene, Maxim says to Joan “You behave more like an upstairs maid or something, not like the mistress of the house at all.” This is how we see Maxim and Joan during most of their conversation with Frith:

The both of them sitting on the chair’s arms seems odd, and why does the seat look sunken in if nobody has been sitting in it during this scene?

Later on, in Manderley's seaside cabin, Maxim tells Joan about the last moments of Rebecca's life in a really great scene. As Maxim narrates Rebecca's movements, the camera moves, as if following the empty space in the frame where Rebecca would be. Appropriately, the point in the narration at which we learn the truth about Rebecca's relationship with Maxim, when the power dynamic of the house switches away from Rebecca and toward Joan, and when we stop seeing empty seats, begins with Maxim narrating "Suddenly, she got up," as the camera pans up from an empty chair.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
A lot of the credits for The Act of Killing looks like this:

Because the film is about still-living members of an active paramilitary death squad, the Indonesian crew working on the film do not have their names in the credits. The only Indonesian names to appear in the credits are the killers themselves.

I also thought this was really neat:

Notice how they thank Anonymous twice in a row. In the Indonesian langauge, repeating a noun twice makes it plural, so by thanking Anonymous Anonymous they are actually acknowledging all the Indonesian people (including survivors) who they cannot thank by name.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Not as deep as some of the others here, but in Breaking Bad, Skyler White goes back to work for her old boss at Benecke Fabrications. Not only does her boss cook the books, skim off the top of profits, but they have an affair, and the reason Skyler quit is because he made advances to her before...which is not the reason she tells her husband she left. Another word for fabricate is lie.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Not as deep as some of the others here, but in Breaking Bad, Skyler White goes back to work for her old boss at Benecke Fabrications. Not only does her boss cook the books, skim off the top of profits, but they have an affair, and the reason Skyler quit is because he made advances to her before...which is not the reason she tells her husband she left. Another word for fabricate is lie.

That's a bit of a stretch isn't it.

There are dozens of 'Fabrications' or 'Fabricators' in my yellow pages. Steel, aluminium, fibreglass, etc, etc.

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

Pocket Billiards posted:

That's a bit of a stretch isn't it.

There are dozens of 'Fabrications' or 'Fabricators' in my yellow pages. Steel, aluminium, fibreglass, etc, etc.

It's not that much of a stretch. That name had to have been specifically picked for the show; a concerted effort was put to name it. While it is certainly possible that the name was arbitrary, with a show like Breaking Bad where plays on names have been done before (Schwarz/White) and that purposely includes more subliminal imagery I think it would be MORE of a stretch that it wasn't intentional. However, even if it wasn't consciously intentional wordplay it does still fit with the theme of lying in the show and therefore is still a subtle and interesting moment that is cohesive with the show's message.

e. Fabrications works on a few levels here. It is literally a fabrication business, but beyond that Beneke is fabricating earning and tax information. There is also the entire affair aspect that was mentioned above.

sex excellence has a new favorite as of 17:55 on Feb 23, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was re-watching The Usual Suspects the other day and noticed an interesting little bit that they used to subtly throw viewers off the trail of Keyser Soze's identity. At the beginning of the movie on the boat one of the first things you see Soze do is use a Zippo to light a cigarette. A couple of minutes later in the office you see Verbal Kint try and fail to do the same thing. Soze also deliberately uses his left hand to shoot Keaton.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Almost everything Verbal Kent says to the audience is probably a lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Smiling Jack posted:

Almost everything Verbal Kent says to the audience is probably a lie.

All he had to do is come up with a story that fit the evidecne the investigator had.