Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
That desk is backwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

King of Hamas posted:

So I'm reading an article about Martin Zweig and his $125 million dollar condo and I see this

what's up with the long yellow guitar dong

original article here: http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2013/04/03/inside_martin_zweigs_125_million_pierre_triplex_penthouse.php

Prince

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

holy crap that dude has some long palms

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Cobalt60 posted:

Holy loving madeline. I so vividly remember the pre-programmed test song on that, and exactly how it sounds with burp, fart, and other "hilarious" sample sounds. Song is now stuck in my head -- does it have a name/artist so I can buy it??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2qx46rAOkw

I loved mine. However my family got tired of the many, many variations of Jingle Bells done with dog barks.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Cobalt60 posted:

Holy loving madeline. I so vividly remember the pre-programmed test song on that, and exactly how it sounds with burp, fart, and other "hilarious" sample sounds. Song is now stuck in my head -- does it have a name/artist so I can buy it??

Seriously, is there like a database of test songs for keyboards? My friend's old rear end keyboard has a pretty rad song on it and my old junk keyboard had one too. I want to find a copy of them.

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

Played with some heavy metal bands this weekend. Their tunings were so low that it was impossible to distinguish pitch. It was a shame cuz it seemed like there was a lot of effort put into it and it was just thumpy mud.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 
I blame Sunn 0))), but mostly because I'm pissed that they made Sunn gear sought-after and hip. boooo that was my brand you jerks

edit: don't get me wrong, they are the Gods of DoomTone slash Lordz of Boring Albums

Radio Help fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 17, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
brujeria tuned lower than sunnoOoOoo and it wasn't a bunch of mush

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cULlfvY1XtE

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.
If their gear wasn't set up to be tuned that low then it was probably pretty bad. Cannibal Corpse tune down to like G# or something, you couldn't tune most guitars that low and actually play them.

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

BUSH 2112 posted:

If their gear wasn't set up to be tuned that low then it was probably pretty bad. Cannibal Corpse tune down to like G# or something, you couldn't tune most guitars that low and actually play them.

The lower you go the closer everything gets together frequency wise. Like a = 440,220,110,55 etc. regardless of how the instrument is set up aren't you losing clarity as you go lower?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Bitchtard posted:

The lower you go the closer everything gets together frequency wise. Like a = 440,220,110,55 etc. regardless of how the instrument is set up aren't you losing clarity as you go lower?

it has more to do with the speakers you're playing through, room acoustics, the power handling of the amp, volume etc.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Nile tunes down to like A or something stupidly low like that, and it sounds fine. That metal band Bitchtard played with probably just sucks.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD
Set up/produced properly, a drop-D 8 string (D A D A D G B E) sounds pretty cool. Obviously it's not for chords, but percussive stuff and riffing around the open 8th string sounds fine.

Dec 26, 2012

Dirt posted:

Nile tunes down to like A or something stupidly low like that, and it sounds fine. That metal band Bitchtard played with probably just sucks.

from personal experience b/drop a is passable if you don't suck poo poo

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

Philthy posted:

That desk is backwards.

It's a "partners desk" it has drawers on both sides. But yeah, no reason to have one in that room.

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

comes along bort posted:

it has more to do with the speakers you're playing through, room acoustics, the power handling of the amp, volume etc.

I agree, but I've always been of the opinion that these are all factors because there's less margin for error when you have two guitarists a bass and a kick drum all playing within a tiny band of frequencies.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Bitchtard posted:

I agree, but I've always been of the opinion that these are all factors because there's less margin for error when you have two guitarists a bass and a kick drum all playing within a tiny band of frequencies.

guitar speakers have a sharp dropoff in frequency response around 200hz, so you're not really getting the fundamental of anything lower than a anyway

it's a little different if you're using bass amps/cabs, but but even then it's relatively easy enough to just use a eq to get everything to sit in a separate range, or have the bass not always playing the root or following the guitar. or just don't have a bassist, like pig destroyer used to

if you're gonna tune below d you should have a 15" cab somewhere in there

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 17, 2014

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

comes along bort posted:

guitar speakers have a sharp dropoff in frequency response around 200hz, so you're not really getting the fundamental of anything lower than a anyway

it's a little different if you're using bass amps/cabs, but but even then it's relatively easy enough to just use a eq to get everything to sit in a separate range, or have the bass not always playing the root or following the guitar. or just don't have a bassist, like pig destroyer used to

if you're gonna tune below d you should have a 15" cab somewhere in there

Cool, thanks. And yeah their bass players where pretty much just there to make clicky noises.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
gently caress any band who downtunes below drop d. thanks gaslight anthem, i can never play any of our songs when I'm noodling around for fun because gently caress tuning my guitar to drop c just for two songs.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
pretty much the only reason to own more than one guitar is so you don't have to retune

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
If I ever find myself getting a second guitar for, say, Eb standard tuning I'm going to make sure it's a Wangcaster. Because if you're playing in any tuning but E standard you're pretty much just jerking off.

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

If I ever find myself getting a second guitar for, say, Eb standard tuning I'm going to make sure it's a Wangcaster. Because if you're playing in any tuning but E standard you're pretty much just jerking off.

Lol at this retarded blanket statement.

Some people like to do things differently, and that's a good thing. Creativity is cool.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

A shrubbery! posted:

Set up/produced properly, a drop-D 8 string (D A D A D G B E) sounds pretty cool. Obviously it's not for chords, but percussive stuff and riffing around the open 8th string sounds fine.

Dirt posted:

So where does the Bass VI fall into this drop tuning stuff? Does it just not work for their sound? It's tuned 1tone higher than the D-tuned 8string while not being a Piano board.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Bonzo posted:

I loved mine. However my family got tired of the many, many variations of Jingle Bells done with dog barks.

Aw hell yisss. Thanks for this video. Was "dog bark" a standard sample? I ask because I have a very specific memory of the exact same experience you described.

Seriously, thanks, this is like a trip through memories I have no reason to care about.
:yayclod:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Sockington posted:

So where does the Bass VI fall into this drop tuning stuff? Does it just not work for their sound? It's tuned 1tone higher than the D-tuned 8string while not being a Piano board.

despite the e-e tuning it's more of a 6 string short scale bass rather than a regular lower tuned guitar, though some people put on regular guitar strings and tune them like a baritone guitar which is pretty neat for surf/country stuff

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

King Vidiot posted:

E standard is the tuning many jazz guitarists play in, and holy gently caress they jerk off a lot. So maybe we should all follow Half Japanese in following our hearts in tuning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcu2ONECf_8

quote:

I taught myself to play guitar. It’s incredibly easy when you understand the science of it. The skinny strings play the high sounds, and the fat strings play the low sounds. If you put your finger on the string farther out by the tuning end it makes a lower sound. If you want to play fast, move your hand fast and if you want to play slower move your hand slower. That’s all there is to it. You can learn the names of notes and how to make chords that other people use, but that’s pretty limiting. Even if you took a few years and learned all the chords you’d still have a limited number of options. If you ignore the chords your options are infinite and you can master guitar playing in one day.

Traditionally, guitars have a fat string on the top and they get skinnier and skinnier as they go down. But the thing to remember is it’s your guitar and you can put whatever you want on it. I like to put six different sized strings on it because that gives the most variety, but my brother used to put all of the same thickness on so he wouldn’t have so much to worry about. What ever string he hit had to be the right one because they were all the same.

Tuning the guitar is kind of a ridiculous notion. If you have to wind the tuning pegs to just a certain place, that implies that every other place would be wrong. But that’s absurd. How could it be wrong? It’s your guitar and you’re the one playing it. It’s completely up to you to decide how it should sound. In fact I don’t tune by the sound at all. I wind the strings until they’re all about the same tightness. I highly recommend electric guitars for a couple of reasons. First of all they don’t depend on body resonating for the sound so it doesn’t matter if you paint them. As also, if you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction to effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic. Just a tiny tap on the strings can rattle your windows, and when you slam the strings, with your amp on 10, you can strip the paint off the walls.

The first guitar I bought was a Silvertone. Later I bought a Fender Telecaster, but it really doesn’t matter what kind you buy as long as the tuning pegs are on the end of the neck where they belong. A few years back someone came out with a guitar that tunes at the other end. I’ve never tried one. I guess they sound alright but they look ridiculous and I imagine you’d feel pretty foolish holding one. That would affect your playing. The idea isn’t to feel foolish. The idea is to put a pick in one hand and a guitar in the other and with a tiny movement rule the world.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 17, 2014

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Bonzo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy0Ymi30174

Dec 26, 2012

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

E standard is the tuning many jazz guitarists play in, and holy gently caress they jerk off a lot. So maybe we should all follow Half Japanese in following our hearts in tuning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcu2ONECf_8

this guy owns

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Cobalt60 posted:

Aw hell yisss. Thanks for this video. Was "dog bark" a standard sample? I ask because I have a very specific memory of the exact same experience you described.

Seriously, thanks, this is like a trip through memories I have no reason to care about.
:yayclod:

Nope. It really didn't have any sort of crazy sounds built in. It had piano, trumpet, human voice, pipe organ, brass ensemble, flute, synth-drums, jazz organ, and of course the sample button, which as you already know allowed you to create a few second sample to then play back with the keyboard. There were models after the SK-1 that did have wacky samples like dog bark built-in, and also stuff like actual drum pads, etc.

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

01011001 posted:

this guy owns

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Everyone I used to play with tuned to Eb because I guess it was easier for singers. But I'm a drummer so I never mattered to me.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
is it a dick move to go to guitar center just to check out poo poo i'm planning on buying online y/n

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Dewgy posted:

is it a dick move to go to guitar center just to check out poo poo i'm planning on buying online y/n
No because guitar center is loving terrible and you shouldn't care about their feelings. Buy some strings or picks or some poo poo if you feel bad.

Last time I was in guitar center they couldn't answer basic questions like "what kind of tubes does this amp use?" and wouldn't let me tune a guitar I was checking out. Hell, another time the guy tuning a guitar I was wanting to try couldn't even loving tune it properly, and this wasn't a problem with the guitar.

But if you go to a local music store and then buy the poo poo online you're a dick.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Speaking of great musicians with awful stylistic taste in Guitars:

Hide was probably one of the best metal guitarists ever, but man is the Fernandes Burny an ugly looking guitar (even the sunburst one is pretty bad). Dude did amazing stuff with it tho: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wStL5HB5n6U&t=116s

Dec 26, 2012

Dewgy posted:

of course not. its like best buy

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dewgy posted:

as long as you're not buying online from musician's friend since they're both owned by mitt romney

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
i pretty much buy everything from Rondo these days so no big

i just really want to see if they have a baritone guitar because sure why the gently caress not, i'll play in B standard, and rondo has a gorgeous one on sale

e: also a 3/4 scale bubblegum pink strat but that's less gorgeous

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.
if you play rock music and you don't detune half a step, then you're kind of a terrorist.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

comes along bort posted:

musician's friend
owned by mitt romney

gently caress I wish I knew that yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
i wrote on my 70 dollar acoustic guitar "please steal me", "thanks obama" and "this machine kills fascists" am i terrible c/d

e: i bought it from china on amazon too

• Locked thread