Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Might I suggest some light reading? Everything Is Under Control: Conspiracies, Cults and Cover-ups. It's an encyclopedia of crazy. Got one on my bookshelf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!
I don't think anyone's mentioned this but you can break the doors to the medibots in the free clinic with a melee weapon if you hit them enough times. You can then get in without alerting everyone in the building.
Incidentally, the doors in deus ex have a hidden stat, "damage threshold", which determines whether or not an attack reduces the door's strength. The door strength is more like HP than an indication of what level of firepower is needed to blow the door up. This shows up later on when there are some doors with 35% strength that you can break through with the dragon's tooth, but others that you can't.
The doors in the free clinic can be damaged by just about anything, but it takes a while to break them.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Diggus Bickus posted:

I don't think anyone's mentioned this but you can break the doors to the medibots in the free clinic with a melee weapon if you hit them enough times.

I wish they had put more of an interesting side story, or some good datacubes in there. It's a lot of money to get in for nothing of real value.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

unfair posted:

I wish they had put more of an interesting side story, or some good datacubes in there. It's a lot of money to get in for nothing of real value.

You don't get any other medbots in Hell's kitchen, and you'll spend quite a bit of time there. In addition, this is the part of the game where you don't have a lot of skills / augmentations / hoards of healing items.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

unfair posted:

There are people who didn't quicksave, pay for the code, reload, and waltz in for free?

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Xander77 posted:

You don't get any other medbots in Hell's kitchen, and you'll spend quite a bit of time there. In addition, this is the part of the game where you don't have a lot of skills / augmentations / hoards of healing items.

Perhaps my perspective is just skewed by playing Deus Ex so much, but I don't remember ever taking any damage in Hell's Kitchen, at least until the rather short return trip (and by that point you should be stocked up). That's including doing runs killing every single enemy on each level.

While typing my previous post I was wondering if "Realistic" difficulty should have removed the healing function from medbots. If you know what you're doing it should be pretty feasible to never use a medbot heal.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Xander77 posted:

Not only that, but it's the first opportunity you get to install the Aqualung/Toxic Resist aug from Castle Clinton, and both are potentially very useful in upcoming areas. Without the free clinic code, you'll be wasting that inventory slot with the aug can until you can get back to UNATCO.

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!

unfair posted:

While typing my previous post I was wondering if "Realistic" difficulty should have removed the healing function from medbots. If you know what you're doing it should be pretty feasible to never use a medbot heal.

Deus Ex isn't a "hard" game though. You can play on easy and enjoy the game just as much as playing on realistic, but realistic just changes the way you approach combat. The only time I really die when playing Deus Ex is when I do "challenge" things, like seeing if I can take out a room full of dudes using only throwing knives and no stealth, or something. Being able to take a few hits can make the game more fun sometimes, because you can do stupid things for fun and shrug off the consequences.
Maybe my opinion of the game is skewed by how many times I've played it though... It's hard to objectively evaluate the difficulty when the AI is really bad and you already know where everyone is standing in every level.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
So Bobbin, by choosing to implant the Toxic Resist aug are you saying that in this instance Aqualung (your friend) SHOULD start away uneasy?

I'm sorry.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Man, I was not expecting a Jethro Tull reference in here.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Necroskowitz posted:

So Bobbin, by choosing to implant the Toxic Resist aug are you saying that in this instance Aqualung (your friend) SHOULD start away uneasy?

I'm sorry.

Crouched behind a park bench
Eying NSF with bad intent
Sunglasses in the dark
With prod and baton he'll make his mark
Hey, Trenchcoat Man

Night since the game began
Our boy wonders if he can get a moontan
Hey, Trenchcoat Man
Geared up like a gun nut
Knocking you out with one blow to the butt
Whoooah, Trenchcoat Man

Helicopter lands
A trenchcoat man comes running
Having fun
The only way he knows
Leg hurting bad
From getting too near explosions
He talks to a medbot
To fix his feet

Feeling alright
He'll stun six more tonight
Nearby guard hears the fight
And sounds alarms
Trenchcoat Man, my friend
Don't you just jump out and shoot them
You idiot
Now they've blown off your arms

Do you still remember
When you did training missions
When you learned stealth from Anna though
I bet you didn't listen
And you run until they forget you're there
When they can't hear your sounds
And the quiet falls like
Winter's silent breath

Helicopter lands
A trenchcoat man comes running
Having fun
The only way he knows
Killing robots
With a gun that shoots explosives
He knocks every man
Off of their feet

Feeling alright
He'll kill six more tonight
Nearby guard hears the fight
And sounds alarms
It's good you spent so much on Rifles
Firefight on hard
It's only you it harms

I think they want to kill your pilot
My god a bomb
Say monotonally

Crouched behind a park bench
Sniping MJ12 with bad intent
Sunglasses in the dark
With gun and LAM he'll make his mark
Hey, Trenchcoat Man

Night since the game began
Our boy wonders if he can get a moontan
Hey, Trenchcoat Man
He now wants you all dead
Dropping you down with one shot to the head
Hey, Trenchcoat Man

Oh, Trenchcoat Man

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Just some guy with a college doctorate and a passing knowledge of what it means to be a ninja.

I think someone in Speedball's current LP said this: There are some posts filled with fan art and then there are those that are filled with written art.

This was one of the latter. :golfclap:

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

idonotlikepeas posted:

Something awesome.

That was awesome. Convenient link for those who don't know what the hell.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Someone do an acoustic version of that song and sing it. Internet superstardom awaits.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Oh, Trenchcoat Man
I prefer the Aqua-lad version, but at least this scans better than anything in the political cartoons thread.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

Gully Foyle is a character in Alfred Bester's 1956 SF novel, The Stars My Destination.
Gabriel Syme is a character in G.K. Chesterton's The Man Who Was Thursday.
Oberst Enzian is from Thomas Pynchon's novel Gravity's Rainbow.
Smilla Jasperson is from Peter Hoeg's novel Smilla's Sense of Snow.
Hippolyta "Lyta" Trevor Hall is the alter ego of the comic book character Fury, who originated in Wonder Woman but played a bigger role in Neil Gaiman's Sandman series as the mother of Daniel the dream child.

Cribbed from nuwen.net.

A Pair Of Ducks
Dec 16, 2009
You don't mention it Bobbin, but someone else briefly mentioned it a couple pages back, but due to the fact some people can have life threatening reactions to some chemicals in vaccines, or have such compromised immune systems that even a severely weakened virus could harm them, that they have to rely on the fact no one else is getting sick in order to not get sick. This is herd immunity, and anti-vaccination campaigns are threatening this and therefore lives other than just their childrens' in some absolutely loving ASININE attempt to try and prevent autism, which is fairly clearly a spectrum of genetic disorders.

To intentionally not vaccinate your kids should be considered child neglect at best, and child endangerment in my opinion.

But keep up the good work Bobbin, I love your add-ons here and in your Brütal Legend LP, and I went and bought Deus Ex: Invisible War on Steam thanks to this LP.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

A Pair Of Ducks posted:

But keep up the good work Bobbin, I love your add-ons here and in your Brütal Legend LP, and I went and bought Deus Ex: Invisible War on Steam thanks to this LP.
"Dear Jodie, I loved your work in Taxi Driver..."

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.

And all already mentioned in the thread :eng99:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Sorry I'm late, but I had to go on a snowbound odyssey for a few hours.

Handouts:

NWP: NY Grid Law
Smuggler Email: Limites D'Affaire
Smuggler Email: Inquiry
Computer Virus Cultivation
Firearm Safety
The Order of the Cincinnati
Covert Surveillance
Jacob's Shadow: Ch 12
JSteward Email: Our Chemist
JSteward Email: Company Picnic
JSteward Email: System Hacking
JSteward Email: Delivery
Chlorine and Water Treatment
Nanotechnology for Stupid People

Known Misses: Mr. Renton will probably want to know his daughter is safe, there's a box of shells between the two barrels down in the elevator tunnel.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I may misremembering things but can't you also just block beams with crates? Also I'm still a bit sad you didn't show off any of those crazy glitches back in Unatco HQ. (everyone hating on the vacuum cleaner especially). Or were those patched out?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I'm not surprised they use the same code for everything. If there's one thing I've learned about the Deus Ex universe, it's that no one can remember even a short number sequence without having it on their person in datacubes/pocket secretaries...which they also tend to just leave out in the open for anyone to find.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

I hope the next Deus Ex gives you the option to flip over keyboards so you can find the password written underneath.

I swear, almost everyone I know does this, why they even have a password I don't understand.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

FrickenMoron posted:

I may misremembering things but can't you also just block beams with crates? Also I'm still a bit sad you didn't show off any of those crazy glitches back in Unatco HQ. (everyone hating on the vacuum cleaner especially). Or were those patched out?

IIRC (been a while) you can block some beams with boxes, but others will set off the alarm if you push any object in front of it... It was a trial and error game

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I just specifically remembered that when I played I always blocked those blue beams with crates/other objects so I could save on a multitool. I always used the bug with the lockpick/tool too so I never had to skill them up.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
In this specific instance you can just push a big metal crate in front of you to shield yourself from the turrets and then wait until the alarm dies down.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

FrickenMoron posted:

Well, the answer is both yes and no. Yes, crates and barrels can block laser beams, but no, they'll trip the alarm in the process. I just checked with the ones in the elevator tunnel.

Cerebral Bore posted:

In this specific instance you can just push a big metal crate in front of you to shield yourself from the turrets and then wait until the alarm dies down.

I suppose that could work, but it's still easier and just as cheap to climb up onto the pipe.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Well, the answer is both yes and no. Yes, crates and barrels can block laser beams, but no, they'll trip the alarm in the process. I just checked with the ones in the elevator tunnel.

I suppose that could work, but it's still easier and just as cheap to climb up onto the pipe.

Yeah if you use that technique you have to chuck something in front of the beams to block them and then run and hide until the alarm shuts off. Basically a safer variant of what Cerebral Bore was talking about - and also leaves the beam gap open for places where you need to make a return trip.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

I love how the secret paramilitary CIA guys have a company pick-nick.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
1. Our version of J.C. demonstrates good interrogation technique in the bar. Getting people to feel like you're sympathetic to them generally yields better results than threats.

2. The Internet Oracle, seen in Smuggler's e-mail, is a real thing that actually exists. It used to be called the Usenet Oracle, back when that was a thing. The way it works is that you send an e-mail to the Oracle with a question, and it stores that e-mail in its database. It then hands you someone else's question to answer in return. When someone answers your question, you get an e-mail with their response. Generally the response is intended to be humorous. The best ones get recorded for posterity. That's why the mail to Smuggler has a question in the bottom of it - that's what he's supposed to answer in return for the answer he got. (Clearly some group has subverted the oracle to exchange clandestine information, but that doesn't let you out of your Internet Responsibilities.)

3. I love that the evil conspiracy still has an HR department. Because of COURSE they do.

4. More Dees. :allears:

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

idonotlikepeas posted:

2. The Internet Oracle, seen in Smuggler's e-mail, is a real thing that actually exists. It used to be called the Usenet Oracle, back when that was a thing. The way it works is that you send an e-mail to the Oracle with a question, and it stores that e-mail in its database. It then hands you someone else's question to answer in return. When someone answers your question, you get an e-mail with their response. Generally the response is intended to be humorous. The best ones get recorded for posterity. That's why the mail to Smuggler has a question in the bottom of it - that's what he's supposed to answer in return for the answer he got. (Clearly some group has subverted the oracle to exchange clandestine information, but that doesn't let you out of your Internet Responsibilities.)
"RosyCross" is also a pretty direct reference to the Rosicrucian Order, which while I don't think it factors into anything directly with Deus Ex's story has a bunch of conspiratorial and occult baggage of its own.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
You know I don't think I've ever let Johnny live in recent play-throughs, I don't even know what happens if you let him get away. It'a always much more fun to just shoot him.

Also, if you follow Ford all the way back to the main chamber you can speak with him some more. Due to engine limitations he can't climb latters but he does have a few more tidbits of information but he will vanish into the ether as soon as you lose sight of him. And obviously the Chlorine spill mentioned in a bulletin was caused by these guys experimenting with the water to see what would happen. The email from "WS" hinted that it was only an example for something more to come.

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008
All ATMs on a map are effectively networked together, so withdrawing from one will cause all of them to lose money. (The ATM scripting specifically goes and synchronizes the balance of every ATM on the map when the balance changes.)

Other things I've discovered while looking through the scripting...

Crossbow bolts (and all non-hitscan projectiles) fly in a perfectly straight line, unaffected by gravity, until they reach the end of their range, where gravity starts to kick in. So there's no point in trying to compensate for gravity unless the crosshair indicates the target is too far.

The weird collision for headshots has been talked about before a bit, but the scripting for it is clearly wrong. The intent was to make the head region a bit smaller than the collision cylinder, but the way it works out headshots only register of the cardinal sides of the cylinder are hit, while the intercardinal sides count as body hits. I'll make a graph of it later, but the head region, when viewed from above, looks like a plus shape, with body region wedges filling in the rest.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
The lectures at the end continue to be the best part! I had no idea that alcohol was important to civilization for reasons other than recreation, or how fluoride was discovered to be so important to dental health.

Also, I want to see Dees show up in every single lecture from now on. :allears:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Currently in my country there is a groundswell movement of colossal morons with too much time on their hands who want to ban water fluoridation for *reasons*. They are directly analogous to the vaccines=autism people and tack on a string of nebulous 'health issues' that arise from water fluoridation. One area has already had the council bend over and take it out of the water supply and they are now targeting the big cities. The media continue to present it as 'the fluoride debate' which gives it enough legitimacy that these people can gain footholds politically.

It is loving retarded and makes me angry.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Reinstalled DX because well...it's DX okay?

Bobbin are you going to demonstrate the Anna Navarre/LAM combo?

A Pair Of Ducks
Dec 16, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Currently in my country there is a groundswell movement of colossal morons with too much time on their hands who want to ban water fluoridation for *reasons*. They are directly analogous to the vaccines=autism people and tack on a string of nebulous 'health issues' that arise from water fluoridation. One area has already had the council bend over and take it out of the water supply and they are now targeting the big cities. The media continue to present it as 'the fluoride debate' which gives it enough legitimacy that these people can gain footholds politically.

The media is probably the most dangerous part of any asinine movement like that. They'll do anything to get ratings, even give legitimacy to the ravings of lunatics.

Hopefully the cities are much smarter than to give into the demands of idiots.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

This is kinda neither here nor there, but bobbin, what is your keyboard layout? Do you keep all the augmentations on the F1-12 keys? Where do you keep scope & laser?

Deus ex (along with Jedi Outcast and the Freespace games) require some serious keyboard juggling to get all the spells/functions within hand's reach and I kind of hope someone has a better system than mine....

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

double nine posted:

This is kinda neither here nor there, but bobbin, what is your keyboard layout? Do you keep all the augmentations on the F1-12 keys? Where do you keep scope & laser?

Deus ex (along with Jedi Outcast and the Freespace games) require some serious keyboard juggling to get all the spells/functions within hand's reach and I kind of hope someone has a better system than mine....

The augs plus the menu hotkeys use every single F key, so there's no way to fit them all in easy reach no matter what. I've moved the scope and laser keys to Z and C, though. Normally they turn you left and right, but that's just a legacy from the pre-mouse era. I think I move "Switch Ammo Types" to F, as well. I forget if it starts there or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Five
Jan 6, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Are you Canadian? And by chance do you live in the Kitchener/Waterloo area?

• Locked thread