Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Antares posted:

Just out of curiosity, what happens in multiplayer when people try to do what the AI does and redirect their stack every time you try to move into the same province? It's irritating as gently caress when you can't afford to split the stack into 2-3 and move to every adjacent province at the same time.

It works like 1/3 of the time. It's still a viable strategy but not a surefire one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
My point wasn't about the size you need to be to join the empire, but that the game doesn't tell you that you're too large to join until you get a province bordering the empire and then core it.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Progress on Dark Continent:

I'm now running into the trickier gameplay/balance issues. Should only the Christian remnant states be Natives with the ability to migrate, or should the Muslim colonizers (Ruma in Italy, Magyaristan in Hunagry, etc) be natives too? What about tech groups - should I attempt to balance them and their units, or would it be easier just to create a "Standard" tech group with no flavor for everyone? Input appreciated, I'm not sure what would be most interesting & fun.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
YES! Dark Continent makes it's return!

I'd say only have the Christians be natives with the ability to migrate, as, well, only the Christians really are natives in this timeline, right? It doesn't really make sense to have Rum or Magyaristan be natives because they're like early colonizers.

I really don't know what to suggest for tech groups either.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
There should probably be a roaming band or two of exiles, highwaymen, nomads, and whatnot. Bold Bardash couldn't have been the only one wandering through a depopulated Hungary, and he was picked up by pirates in the Balkans.

I'm really interested in how you're going to be laying out the trade network, tho.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Antares posted:

Just out of curiosity, what happens in multiplayer when people try to do what the AI does and redirect their stack every time you try to move into the same province? It's irritating as gently caress when you can't afford to split the stack into 2-3 and move to every adjacent province at the same time.

In multiplayer? It will be markedly less effective, since you can't pause the game to check movement times. You'd just have to guess which one has the quickest travel time, and that probably wouldn't be as effective a strategy as simply picking the province with the best defensive terrain.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Alikchi posted:

I'm now running into the trickier gameplay/balance issues. Should only the Christian remnant states be Natives with the ability to migrate, or should the Muslim colonizers (Ruma in Italy, Magyaristan in Hunagry, etc) be natives too? What about tech groups - should I attempt to balance them and their units, or would it be easier just to create a "Standard" tech group with no flavor for everyone? Input appreciated, I'm not sure what would be most interesting & fun.

My suggestion would be to have separate tech groups that all have the same research rates, but different units.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Alikchi posted:

Progress on Dark Continent:

I love how even in the apocalyptic end of the world scenario, Scotland still survives. :allears:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

A Tartan Tory posted:

I love how even in the apocalyptic end of the world scenario, Scotland still survives. :allears:

I am more amazed about Estonia. Almost as if Magyari would be too fast.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

A Tartan Tory posted:

It's canonical, too. A white-skinned, red-haired woman is part of the Ottoman Emperor's harem. He makes sure to bring her with him when he flees after Vijayanagar storms the city.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
It seems that when 1.5 comes out there'll be 3 new cosmetic DLCs with it:

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/strategy/europa-universalis-iv-native-americans-ii-unit/
http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/strategy/europa-universalis-iv-colonial-british-and-french/
http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/strategy/europa-universalis-iv-muslim-advisor-portraits/

English/British/French colonial unit pack and a second Native American unit pack. The third ones unknown. Found it, Muslim advisor portraits.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 17, 2014

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
The woman in the Sultan's harem is probably just one of the remnants of the few survivors, like one of the ones Bold Bardash met. The Ottoman sultan said he keeps the line of Firanjis pure by breeding them. When they found the surviving remnants of European culture, it was in the Faeroe Islands. There was never anything about Scotland in the books.

The purpose of the books was to explore a world without European influence, the plague was just the Macguffin that got rid of them. Of course everyone likes to play the Byzantine Empire for the same reason, but if you really want the experience you should just have the Europeans on maybe Iceland with native american tech and nothing else explored. You'd basically be playing the Central American game of sitting around, only you can't even expand or colonize your neighbors.

Also you should get rid of Muscovy. I did an expanded version of the Dark Continent mod before, which had a lot more of the revolter states queued up, Baraka and Nasr. I think the basic group I started out with was al-Alemand, Ruma, Magyaristan. Remember that Granada and Constantinople were also destroyed by the plague, though obviously they were quickly retaken. It seems like basically he just wiped the map clean of Europe up to the Urals. The Golden Horde was some kind of state into the future. The book has a good map of how Europe eventually ends up. A lot of people ran off into Firanjistan from the Muslim world, not Muslims, he never goes into much detail but I also had some events where different groups might pop up. Armenians, Gypsies, Jews... they had a chance to shift the religion/culture of the province, but they'd increase the base taxes and allow you to colonize faster. The end result was not huge empires in Europe, but another bunch of fractured nation states, even more fractured than in reality actually. The Balkans were a mess, and presumably they were comprised of different sects and ethnicities.

Egyptians (Christian and Muslim), Levantines, Turks, Berbers, Arabs, Gypsies, Armenians, Georgians perhaps, Mongols, all should have chances to move into these areas. Religiously, Sufis need to be added as another religion, and you might want to do more Islamic heresy to give reasons for the breaking apart of all of these areas into separate states apart from ethnicity. The re-colonization of Europe was actually quite speedy, considering how it was great land not far at all. Make sure you delete the important buildings like universities and stuff, I dunno about EU4 but in EU3 you could colonize Italy and get a bunch of universities that I guess had just been sitting around in the dust.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Is there any particular "best" way to handle Portugal declaring wars of colonial conquest on me as the Cherokee, pre-reformation?

I keep getting within one or two provinces of the "No trail of tears" achievement, then Portugal declares war and drops an 8- or 12-stack on me. I can eventually wipe them out with very judicious use of mercenaries and scorched earth (and an absurdly built-up treasury) but I have no way to actually hit Portugal back, and the "the war has stalled" modifier never builds up fast enough to actually force the war to finish instead of dragging on forever. Trying to just give them a province and gold doesn't work (I get the "they're not willing to accept anything you can offer right now"), but because I can drag it out so much eventually they just demand the exact same request I've been pushing at them the whole time. It's never anything substantial (in the last game it was Manhattan and 400 out of some 3000 ducats) but it makes it a bitch to try and reclaim it later, since they don't have enough provinces in America to occupy for substantial warscore.

Is my only real option to avoid the annoyance of Portugal here just to build up a giant naval fleet beforehand and dump a billion low-tech ships on any transports Portugal sends my way?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Roadie posted:

Is there any particular "best" way to handle Portugal declaring wars of colonial conquest on me as the Cherokee, pre-reformation?

I keep getting within one or two provinces of the "No trail of tears" achievement, then Portugal declares war and drops an 8- or 12-stack on me. I can eventually wipe them out with very judicious use of mercenaries and scorched earth (and an absurdly built-up treasury) but I have no way to actually hit Portugal back, and the "the war has stalled" modifier never builds up fast enough to actually force the war to finish instead of dragging on forever. Trying to just give them a province and gold doesn't work (I get the "they're not willing to accept anything you can offer right now"), but because I can drag it out so much eventually they just demand the exact same request I've been pushing at them the whole time. It's never anything substantial (in the last game it was Manhattan and 400 out of some 3000 ducats) but it makes it a bitch to try and reclaim it later, since they don't have enough provinces in America to occupy for substantial warscore.

Is my only real option to avoid the annoyance of Portugal here just to build up a giant naval fleet beforehand and dump a billion low-tech ships on any transports Portugal sends my way?

Is there any way you might be able to invade a Portuguese colonial state? Occupying the provinces of allies, vassals, and really anyone else in the war against you will give you warscore vs the warleader.

Edit: This is more a preventative measure, but getting an Alliance to someone in a position to attack portugal might help, remember that AI's (though terrible at over-seas warfare) have no naval attrition at all, so if you can somehow get an alliance with a strong AI Portugal might not even bother with you anyways.

Alternatively, you can also ally with one of Portugal's American enemies early on (Aztec/Inca?) so that even if you lose, it's probably just some gold + AI provinces to give up to them, and you can keep a truce up or even slow their progress into the Caribbean a tad bit.

420 Gank Mid fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 17, 2014

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Roadie posted:

Taking back a province or two should be easy. A war of conquest for a province should give you a ticking warscore up to 20 just for occupying that province. And since it's colonial, it'll only take one or two to demand it

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
As a reminder, I'm totally back from Mexico and less sober than ever before, so the Tuesday Europa Gooniversalis game is back on! Come on and get your Mediterranean drama on! At 8:15PM PST! Tuesday! The 18th!

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Dibujante posted:

As a reminder, I'm totally back from Mexico and less sober than ever before, so the Tuesday Europa Gooniversalis game is back on! Come on and get your Mediterranean drama on! At 8:15PM PST! Tuesday! The 18th!

Help Catholic Zealots are killing us all.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
So, I got a whole bunch of gold provinces in south america (some I colonized, some I stole from the Inca) and then "Portuguese Peru" formed.

If I understood that correctly, it means that instead of getting all that gold income, I get just a small percentage of it as colony income (whooping 2 gold a month). Because my gold income dropped from almost 10g to around 5 after that (I have some gold provinces in Africa as well).

Well, it does makes american colonization a lot less profitable. I guess I should stick to Africa an Asia then.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Feb 18, 2014

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

So, I got a whole bunch of gold provinces in south america (some I colonized, some I stole from the Inca) and then "Portuguese Peru" formed.

If I understood that correctly, it means that instead of getting all that gold income, I get just a small percentage of it as colony income (whooping 2 gold a month). Because my gold income dropped from almost 10g to around 5 after that (I have some gold provinces in Africa as well).

Well, it does makes american colonization a lot less profitable. I guess I should stick to Africa an Asia then.

Cash from colonial nations comes from tariffs, and when colonial nations form their tariffs default to a very low rate so they'll actually have some money to get started with. You'll have to sink some ADM points into raising the tariffs (not too high or they'll rebel) and making a profit again, but consider it an investment since you can get mad ducats, bonus unit limits, and the New World equivalent of a vassal swarm from a well-developed colonial nation.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

toasterwarrior posted:

Cash from colonial nations comes from tariffs, and when colonial nations form their tariffs default to a very low rate so they'll actually have some money to get started with. You'll have to sink some ADM points into raising the tariffs (not too high or they'll rebel) and making a profit again, but consider it an investment since you can get mad ducats, bonus unit limits, and the New World equivalent of a vassal swarm from a well-developed colonial nation.

I did raise the tariffs a bit, rebellion rates raised to almost 10% (which is already problematic) and income raised from 1,7 to 2 g. It seems not worthy to me, I would undo it if I could.

I have two nation-colonies now, Rio da Prata and Peru, both got gold provinces I owned, both are giving me pretty crappy income. And of course, anything I colonize there now is going to either of these nations, not to me directly anymore. So I fail to see any reason to keep colonizing south-america, if its only to make Rio da Prata and Peru get bigger.

Also, I got that whole exploration-idea block because of the bonus of having permanent CB against pagans. Now I find that this is not going to be as useful as I though. I can use it to attack american nations (like I did to Inca), but then they became just another colony-nation with low income.

I dont know anything about "vassal swarm", but so far I see absolutely no advantage in having those colony-nations instead of just regular provinces, on the contrary.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
What level of tariffs is generally acceptable to colonial holdings? It scares me that I can't lower them, only increase them, so if they go too high I'll be dealing with rebellions until the end of the game.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Antares posted:

Sooner or later you can pin them down - eventually they can't move fast enough. Failing that, the larger party just starts sieging and waits.

Vequeth
Jul 12, 2008

Working on my England World Conquest attempt in Ironman, Europe has been slower going than I would like, France is under PU, Castille and Porgual are vassals. Fairly worried about HRE progress but im fairly close to 3 of the electors. Through marriages I have the same dynasty as Austria and Hungary but have had no opportunities to claim throne yet.

Colonial wise things are going a bit faster, sadly when I vassalised Castille and Portugal their nations just went independent, and I have no CB against them, so I probably just have to hope my colonial nations swallow them up at some stage. Still a long way to go.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

I did raise the tariffs a bit, rebellion rates raised to almost 10% (which is already problematic) and income raised from 1,7 to 2 g. It seems not worthy to me, I would undo it if I could.

I have two nation-colonies now, Rio da Prata and Peru, both got gold provinces I owned, both are giving me pretty crappy income. And of course, anything I colonize there now is going to either of these nations, not to me directly anymore. So I fail to see any reason to keep colonizing south-america, if its only to make Rio da Prata and Peru get bigger.

Also, I got that whole exploration-idea block because of the bonus of having permanent CB against pagans. Now I find that this is not going to be as useful as I though. I can use it to attack american nations (like I did to Inca), but then they became just another colony-nation with low income.

I dont know anything about "vassal swarm", but so far I see absolutely no advantage in having those colony-nations instead of just regular provinces, on the contrary.

Do you mean 10% liberty desire? That's peanuts, man; the dangerous thresholds are at 50% LD (enables declarations of independence) and 100% (guaranteed war for independence). You can get serious income from tariffs alone without even breaching 50%. For example: in my GB game, a completely British Caribbean in 1615 pulls 17gp per month at 32.5% tariffs plus the Viceroys bonus from Exploration. LD neutralizes at 45% too, which is pretty easy to maintain.

Compare the rich Caribbean to Canada and its terrible base-tax average: I only have the coastal provinces and even then most of them are like 1 or whatever, but I'm pulling 9.85 with the same tariff/liberty levels as the Caribbean.

That's only one part of the colonial economy too; my tariff total is around 33 gp, but the trade I'm pulling into London through the Lawrence -> North Sea -> London route is twice as much as that. You just have to give it time and patience, and eventually you can even outfight France with the cash and unit limits colonial nations give you.

Also, by vassal swarm, I mean that colonial nations do have AIs. Once they get strong enough, they'll even try to take land from foreign colonial nations or natives, and that new land is going to contribute to your power as long you either keep them happy or afraid. I don't even bother to land troops whenever my colonies go to war against Portugal/Spain; I can focus my efforts on blockading the hell out of the Iberian peninsula while my boys stomp all over their colonies.

Gort posted:

What level of tariffs is generally acceptable to colonial holdings? It scares me that I can't lower them, only increase them, so if they go too high I'll be dealing with rebellions until the end of the game.

You can spend 75 ADM to lower them by one step in the beta patch. Even then, I'm still making mad bank and maintaining a bigass fleet while below 50% liberty desire so you don't really need to squeeze the colonies dry. You don't want to, anyway: it'll limit their growth and military.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 18, 2014

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
It's pretty nice letting the colonial nations patrol for pirates for you.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

toasterwarrior posted:

Do you mean 10% liberty desire? That's peanuts, man; the dangerous thresholds are at 50% LD (enables declarations of independence) and 100% (guaranteed war for independence). You can get serious income from tariffs alone without even breaching 50%. For example: in my GB game, a completely British Caribbean in 1615 pulls 17gp per month at 32.5% tariffs plus the Viceroys bonus from Exploration. LD neutralizes at 45% too, which is pretty easy to maintain.

Compare the rich Caribbean to Canada and its terrible base-tax average: I only have the coastal provinces and even then most of them are like 1 or whatever, but I'm pulling 9.85 with the same tariff/liberty levels as the Caribbean.

That's only one part of the colonial economy too; my tariff total is around 33 gp, but the trade I'm pulling into London through the Lawrence -> North Sea -> London route is twice as much as that. You just have to give it time and patience, and eventually you can even outfight France with the cash and unit limits colonial nations give you.

Also, by vassal swarm, I mean that colonial nations do have AIs. Once they get strong enough, they'll even try to take land from foreign colonial nations or natives, and that new land is going to contribute to your power as long you either keep them happy or afraid. I don't even bother to land troops whenever my colonies go to war against Portugal/Spain; I can focus my efforts on blockading the hell out of the Iberian peninsula while my boys stomp all over their colonies.

You can spend 75 ADM to lower them by one step in the beta patch. Even then, I'm still making mad bank and maintaining a bigass fleet while below 50% liberty desire so you don't really need to squeeze the colonies dry. You don't want to, anyway: it'll limit their growth and military.

Oh, ok. I though liberty desire worked as "revolt risk", so I was worried about the 10%.

Tanks for the tips, colonial nations do seems a lot more useful now.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

It bugs me more than it should that when you're Great Britain all your colonies are still "English Mexico" and so on.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Gort posted:

It bugs me more than it should that when you're Great Britain all your colonies are still "English Mexico" and so on.

But you can name it whatever you want.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

How do you change a colonial name after it's already in place? I think he's talking about circumstances where you create "English Mexico," and then later switch tags to GB.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Arcturas posted:

How do you change a colonial name after it's already in place? I think he's talking about circumstances where you create "English Mexico," and then later switch tags to GB.

Yeah, that's it. Probably affects other countries as well, it's just GB I've seen it with so far.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Think up creative names in the first place instead of using the default COUNTRY'S REGION name.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Arcturas posted:

Ah yes, I got it.

I suppose you could name it "GB Mexico" from the start, if that bothers you.

I for one have been naming my colonies with the name of their present day country, with no prefix.

Vequeth
Jul 12, 2008

Gort posted:

Yeah lack of foresight from me there, I debated sticking with the England tag for a while, but Scottish werent accepted culture so it made more sense to go GB.

Its even worse when it doesnt change colour, had a Burgundy go to Netherlands in MP, pink colonial nations next to orange ones.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It's named after your primary culture, so it would be "English Mexico" regardless of whether you're GB or England. Spain gets Castillian colonies and France gets Cosmopolitaine colonies, if those are their primary groups.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

toasterwarrior posted:

toasterwarrior posted:

This. Having colonial nations is actually an enormous improvement I think, since it both models the real life lack of authority the crown had in the colonies, and also allows me to keep my focus on Europe where it belongs. It'll be better when the bugs related to colonial range get fixed, and if we ever get the Colonialism CB on the foreign colonies adjacent to our colonies. Does anyone (Wiz) know if the latter is an intentional omission?

e: Also, if the cultural naming convention gets fixed. Cosmopolitaine Columbia and Castilian Peru look just so stupid.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
The republicans are coming from inside the empire:

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

This. Having colonial nations is actually an enormous improvement I think, since it both models the real life lack of authority the crown had in the colonies, and also allows me to keep my focus on Europe where it belongs. It'll be better when the bugs related to colonial range get fixed, and if we ever get the Colonialism CB on the foreign colonies adjacent to our colonies. Does anyone (Wiz) know if the latter is an intentional omission?

e: Also, if the cultural naming convention gets fixed. Cosmopolitaine Columbia and Castilian Peru look just so stupid.

And it needs to get expanded to other parts of the globe, like India and the Spice Islands. Generally speaking, I think the colonization of non-American areas is a little tricky. While the East India Company was founded in 1600 or so, I don't think England really had proper colonies in India, or owned huge stretches of land in India the way it started to in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, but that's the vibe I get from those missions and my efforts to take the west coast of India for spice provinces.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Arcturas posted:

And it needs to get expanded to other parts of the globe, like India and the Spice Islands. Generally speaking, I think the colonization of non-American areas is a little tricky. While the East India Company was founded in 1600 or so, I don't think England really had proper colonies in India, or owned huge stretches of land in India the way it started to in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, but that's the vibe I get from those missions and my efforts to take the west coast of India for spice provinces.
I think part of the problem is that the game skips the whole "Can't we borrow this city?" part of colonization, since the Indian provinces are not anywhere near big enough to accommodate it. Obviously I don't expect Paradox to include every coastal city in India, but it does seem to me that Asia could stand to have some provinces that were designed to function as trade ports. Like, look at this map, there are more European trading posts than there are Indian coastal provinces in-game. Even if you simplify European control down to 1 holding per coast, plus Sri Lanka and the Bengal Delta, that's still 15 provinces out of a total of 21. It's not like India wasn't populated enough to warrant a bunch of extra provinces anyway.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Any way to get CBs against non-pagan african and asian nations?

The only way I managed to get one so far was when I got to be papal controller and called a crusade on Mali.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dickensian Aspect
Mar 18, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

Any way to get CBs against non-pagan african and asian nations?

The only way I managed to get one so far was when I got to be papal controller and called a crusade on Mali.

Expansion, diplomatic, and religious ideas all give CBs.

• Locked thread