Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hesh Ballantine
Feb 13, 2012
I dont read the comics but those 3 at the end are so completely cartoonish in appearance that it made me lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

echoplex posted:

Pretty solid episode, and the start especially was a level of quality they needed to be at 2 seasons ago. The show is maturing slower than it should, but it is getting there. I appreciated Michonne's dream sequence last week too, I'd rather it be ambitious with the drama and not quite get it right than just be interminably dull (see: farm season).

Not quite getting it right kind of fits for the whole episode though. Too much emphasis on bad child-actors, and over the top emotional breakdowns. The whole diary narration behind Daryl and his puppy dog eyes, Carol and her "I don't know if I want to get involved" eyes, the little girl about to kill the baby, Glenn saving whats-her-face and her doing the whole "I am.....worthy...of help?" routine.

It's like, the show needs to chill the gently caress out. We don't need every second to showcase some kind of artist expression trope or someone crying into the camera.

They are trying too many little independent styles to tell the story. Dream sequence, Diary naration, !CORLEs! home-alone sequence, Glenn's complete isolation when he wakes up in the prison. One big mess.

Baldbeard fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 17, 2014

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
gently caress I hate corles stupid hat so much. Take that poo poo off, it looks too big on your small greasy head.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

He said his name and they appear in the previews for the next show.

Previews are spoilers.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jamesman posted:

Previews are spoilers.

Hahah ok man.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Hesh Ballantine posted:

I dont read the comics but those 3 at the end are so completely cartoonish in appearance that it made me lol

As soon as I saw them I knew they had to be from the comic. Glad that dude can find time to keep his goofy mustache in perfect shape in the apocalypse.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
WTH happened to Maggie's accent!?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Since when do we care about this show enough to bitch about spoilers as basic as THAT GUY'S NAME? You're seriously loving whining that someone told you the name of a character that appeared for 2 seconds? Whose name was mentioned in the preview? This isn't Game of Thrones or True Detective. It's The Walking Dead. It's not a GOOD SHOW you're complaining about spoilers for.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Didn't he introduce himself this episode?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

moths posted:

Didn't he introduce himself this episode?

I thought he did too. Did it happen in the preview and it just blur together in our collective heads?

If so I seriously apologize.

Hesh Ballantine posted:

I half expected them to exclaim "We're the Vault Hunters!"

euphronius posted:

Thinking back now, I liked Glenn's breakout of the prison. He dons a full suit of armor and covers his face, which as nicely indicative I think of the emotional defenses he was putting up dealing with the fact he was probably never going to see Maggie again. Once the helmet was on and the shield was down, he stopped becoming Glenn and became an anonymous soldier (I enjoyed the dissonance of a prison guard throwing a molotov into a police car.) He is basically giving up at this point, or has stopped the drive towards authentic existence (the path of Hershel) which was nicely shown by him diving into a crowd of zombies and being swallowed whole by the cloud of alienation. Or maybe a holy bath of zombie, Glenn emerges from the other side baptized in a bizarre ritual of full immersion.

All I got from that was "Hey! Finally a character that's smart enough to not throw away their highly, highly useful body armor and actually wear it, too! I was bitching about nobody being being that smart for nearly 3 seasons." It was a breath of fresh error, without symbolism.

That said, poor sick barely-able-to-stand Glenn is now wearing 90 pounds of armor (in fact that's the one reasons I would have bought him ditching it) and is still able to push through an entire mob of zombies that should have, by everything we've seen, torn his helmet off and ate his face.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 17, 2014

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

To be fair it did look like Glenn collapsed from exhaustion at the end of the show.

And yes Abraham's name was said in the show. I knew his name and I have never even seen the comic book.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Apoplexy posted:

Since when do we care about this show enough to bitch about spoilers as basic as THAT GUY'S NAME? You're seriously loving whining that someone told you the name of a character that appeared for 2 seconds? Whose name was mentioned in the preview? This isn't Game of Thrones or True Detective. It's The Walking Dead. It's not a GOOD SHOW you're complaining about spoilers for.
I've criticized this show as much as anyone else, but "I think this thing is lovely so I don't care about ruining it for others" is pretty lovely logic. Yeah it's silly to care about that guy's name, but it's also pretty easy to just not be a jerk about it.

euphronius posted:

And yes Abraham's name was said in the show. I knew his name and I have never even seen the comic book.
Only thing he said in the episode was 'You got a big mouth, what else you got?' His name is from next episode's preview and as inconsequential as it is to the show, it is considered a spoiler and is like one of the 3 rules in TVIV.

\/\/ Hah, you're totally right. My bad.

VDay fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 17, 2014

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

VDay posted:

His name is from next episode's preview and as inconsequential as it is to the show, it is considered a spoiler and is like one of the 3 rules in TVIV.

Character names don't count as spoilers. Same as when Michonne showed up.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Blazing Ownager posted:

I half expected them to exclaim "We're the Vault Hunters!"

After one look, I was hoping he'd say, " You probably been wonderin' where all the stereotypical people from our great state of Georgia been the last 3 seasons. Well, here we is. I'm Ginger Manface and this here is my wife and sister. Him over there's our retarded cousin Jimbo. "

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Man this episode was poo poo. What happened after the mid-season finale?

I hope Darryl dies.

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online
A better episode than the last, but still I dunno. Seems like they used most of it to set up what's we all know is coming when they all inevitably meet up again and we're back to square one. Ginger Big McLargeHuge is kinda a bad actor... Sasha was weirdly cold and calculating when she's been a fairly warm person even in times of crisis, and even with her thinking Tyrese is dead it was oddly out of character.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Officer John loving Cooper. I yelped

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

ravenkult posted:

I hope Darryl dies.

What are you some kinda monster?

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Haggis Heed posted:

Officer John loving Cooper. I yelped

As much as he was good in Band of Brothers, Cudlitz was fantastic in Southland especially the final season.

Tin Miss
Apr 8, 2009

Meow
This episode seemed promising at the start and then was quickly ruined by trying to cram in too many things at once. I would have much rather just watched Daryl/Beth and Tyreese and the girls for the entire episode and then gone on to Maggie and Glenn's story the next week.

It just felt very rushed and made little sense.

Like who were the people at the train tracks? Were they prison people, the Governor's crew or just randoms milling about the forest? And who's shoe was that that made Beth break down? It looked small, so I assumed it was a child's. Maybe this "Luke and Molly" that she mentioned when they were tracking? Is that the names of the little kid and the girl who almost got eaten when zombie Millhouse attacked?

The Carol reveal was so forced for a moment I almost thought Tyreese was hallucinating. Like he came back to the kids, but Lizzie had killed Judith and he was so distraught he just snapped and imagined a better scenario. I'm usually defending everything in this show, but that scene really stretched my suspension of disbelief. Carol just happens to show up right in the nick of time to save her two surrogate daughters from walkers and also make sure Judith is okay? And we don't get to see it happen? Yeah, sure. Whatever.

Also why did they just leave that guy by the train tracks to turn? Why didn't they talk to him and find out more about this supposed safe haven or at least mercy kill him? They were just like "Thanks for the info, see ya later. Have fun with your dead friends and your upcoming horrible death."

I felt like the Maggie segment was pretty pointless. There's no way they're going to kill Glenn offscreen like two episodes into the second half of the season. I knew he was alive for sure when they didn't show the body Maggie knifed. And then he's just...alive on the walkway? Like how did he get up there? I know he said he left the bus to look for Maggie before it took off, but did he really have time to go back into the prison and get up to the walkway without getting shot up before he passed out? And good thing absolutely no zombies got into the cellblock so he could wander around there slowly afterwards and grab the magical riot gear that suddenly makes him strong enough to plow through 20 walkers all trying to pull him down. Again, I'm always giving this show the benefit of the doubt, but that scene made me roll my eyes.

I was really looking forward to a full episode of Daryl and Beth surviving together, especially after last week's "CORL!" snorefest, but nope just 10 minutes and then on to some complete bullshit for the rest of the ep. Considering they walked the opposite direction down the tracks from Carol and the others I'm hopeful that they'll remain isolated from the group and have their own adventures. And I really hope we're not going to just have a Woodbury/Governor repeat now with these new characters. Just ditch the kids and the baby at the camp and focus on everyone else going out and being awesome.

Tin Miss fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 17, 2014

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Tin Miss posted:

I was really looking forward to a full episode of Daryl and Beth surviving together, especially after last week's "CORL!" snorefest, but nope just 10 minutes and then on to some complete bullshit for the rest of the ep.

In the future, you should watch the preview for the next week's episode to avoid this kind of disappointment. The one for this episode made it abundantly clear that we'll be seeing the rest of the prison crew, not just Daryl and Beth.

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.

ravenkult posted:

I hope Darryl dies.

Daryl is seriously the worst character and I can't wait for his death. Even Merle was more interesting and was played by a better actor.

The writers have completely ruined some of the most badass comic book characters (Tyreese, Andrea) just to favor the Daryl fanbase. In fact, Tyreese and Andrea were Rick's #1 and #2 for the duration of the prison arc. Andrea is still his #1. Both characters were turned to poo poo because the writers are hell bent on shoving Daryl down our throats and make him some sort of loving savior.

I have no hope for Abraham. They'll probably ruin his character (just like they did Tyreese and Andrea) to make Daryl look better.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...

Andrew Verse posted:

In the future, you should watch the preview for the next week's episode to avoid this kind of disappointment. The one for this episode made it abundantly clear that we'll be seeing the rest of the prison crew, not just Daryl and Beth.

Well we wouldn't want people spoiling themselves, now, would we?

I was excited when I found out Abraham was going to be in this season, but him and his crew did look kind of goofy. I am afraid the introduction of new characters is just going to push others one, especially Daryl, to the background. It seems like they really only focus on developing two or three characters at a time on the show, and they probably figure as long as Daryl doesn't die and he doesn't something awesome once in a while, the fans will stay happy.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Hobo Camp posted:

Daryl is seriously the worst character and I can't wait for his death. Even Merle was more interesting and was played by a better actor.

The writers have completely ruined some of the most badass comic book characters (Tyreese, Andrea) just to favor the Daryl fanbase. In fact, Tyreese and Andrea were Rick's #1 and #2 for the duration of the prison arc. Andrea is still his #1. Both characters were turned to poo poo because the writers are hell bent on shoving Daryl down our throats and make him some sort of loving savior.

I have no hope for Abraham. They'll probably ruin his character (just like they did Tyreese and Andrea) to make Daryl look better.

I would like even one example of how Daryl's character ruined Andrea's you seem to be blaming Daryl for every difference between the comic and the tv show. Did Daryl prevent Rick from losing his hand?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't think it's really worth arguing with anyone who thinks the comic has good writing or characters.

The Telltale game is by far the best adaptation of the material. I want Clementine on the show. :colbert:

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Hobo Camp posted:

Seriously, Darryl is ~*cool~* and everything and that one episode where he got lost in the woods was cool, but ever since then all we get is Darryl being a superhero with his loving crossbow and motorcycle. It's just bad.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

socialsecurity posted:

I would like even one example of how Daryl's character ruined Andrea's [...]?
That one time he selfishly walked right into her bullet back on the farm, duh. Way to make Andrea look like she had no idea what she was doing, Daryl. :jerkbag:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Armyman McMoustache gave me serious Biff Tannen vibes.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
I honestly think that the writers should have let psycho kid kill Judith. That would be an amazing twist of Shyamalan proportions. I'd also enjoy seeing a zombie baby, since there are no zombie animals. They spent all that time in Georgia and nobody thought, "Hey, let's hide out in the world's largest aquarium and also check out a zombie Beluga whale while we're there!" This is the first thing I thought!

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online
The name's Rowsdower. Zap Rowsdower.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I really felt like this would have worked better as two episodes, even if it meant it took longer for things to "happen." Getting rid of Lily off screen and Glenn's "I got off the bus" really didn't work for me, but I largely liked the rest, I just felt the pacing was off most of the time.

I laughed pretty hard at that mustache, that's terrible and I love it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Grin and Tonic posted:

I'm not actually trying to go off an a SJW tangent but Sexy, Sassy, Hip-Cocked, Midriff-showing, Sweater-as-a-push-up-bra chick made me laugh more than Big Moustache McLargehuge there.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

ravenkult posted:

Seriously, Darryl is ~*cool~* and everything and that one episode where he got lost in the woods was cool, but ever since then all we get is Darryl being a superhero with his loving crossbow and motorcycle. It's just bad.

That has to be balanced against the fact he is the only one in the show isn't an emotional eggshell ready and willing to break down into a giant sack of tears the second anything goes wrong during a zombie apocalypse.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kibayasu posted:

I'm not actually trying to go off an a SJW tangent but Sexy, Sassy, Hip-Cocked, Midriff-showing, Sweater-as-a-push-up-bra chick made me laugh more than Big Moustache McLargehuge there.

"We heard there was some bubblegum and rear end to be kicked over here. :clint: "

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Grin and Tonic posted:

The names Major Dutch Schaefer Abraham and I like to punch Aliens Zombies in the face

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Grin and Tonic posted:

Love these guys. TWD needs a healthy infusion of camp. I don't think this whole dark realistic thing they're trying to do is quite working for them.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Krowley posted:

Love these guys. TWD needs a healthy infusion of camp. I don't think this whole dark realistic thing they're trying to do is quite working for them.

Someone somewhere said that about American Horror Story, look how well that worked out.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

Hobo Camp posted:

Unironically agree except gently caress Laurie Holden's Andrea anyways just awful.

e: Actually if they bust up Daryl's mythological position the rest of the season he might be better.

fake e: I hope to gently caress they get Rosita in some non stupid clothes.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

WastedJoker posted:

WTH happened to Maggie's accent!?

I was thinking the same. Did she forget how to do it during the break?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
This episode was better than the turd that was the last one, but it was still kind of stupid. The bus thing was pretty dumb no matter how you cut it. Even if people in the back were shot and died, the people inside know well enough to punt them out. Glenn bulldozing through a wall of zombies was pushing it, and the new bad guys at the end feel so drat cliche.

• Locked thread