Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

SeanBeansShako posted:

Not seen his closeted frustrated character in The Smoking Room?

Re: Robert Webb -- haven't seen that one, admittedly!

I hardly ever get time for the telly box during the semester for the programmes I go out of my way to watch, let alone new (to me) stuff :(

This thread has been extremely helpful for me to compile lists of things to see when I'm off school (or too ill to work, like I am now with a headful of cold, huzzah).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Inside No 9's been pretty good so far, all told. Seems to me that the first episode was too black but not enough comedy, whereas the second was more the other way around... mostly. It works well, though, because both maintained interest and I'm looking forward to next weeks too.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Robert Webb is a pretty good character actor. I have no doubt he'll be a good Bertie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deJ9lpNBZUA

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

My new favourite BBC 3 show is a dating show where a guy goes on a blind date but everyone wears facial prosthetics and it is terrible.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03wcmdc/Sexy_Beasts_Episode_2/

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

justcola posted:

My new favourite BBC 3 show is a dating show where a guy goes on a blind date but everyone wears facial prosthetics and it is terrible.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03wcmdc/Sexy_Beasts_Episode_2/

"In this episode, Alex the demon seeks to find love with Belinda the tentacled-monster"

Oh, so it is an anime.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I watched a full episode of that, due to having nothing better to watch.

I genuinely feel I could have spent that half hour better by doing literally nothing. If I had closed my eyes and sat in silence it would have been more entertaining.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

My evening has so far been spent watching University Challenge, watching highlights of University Challenge on youtube then Sexy Beasts. I remember there was a time when I was spoilt for choice, nowadays I just frown at iplayer and wonder what was on BBC 4 the night before that isn't music related.

I started watching the last Weekly Wipe but it was a clip show, so I may as well have just watched that I guess? I think it'd be a better format if it was released monthly than weekly, but then again...whatever.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Ddraig posted:

Robert Webb is a pretty good character actor. I have no doubt he'll be a good Bertie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deJ9lpNBZUA

drat straight. http://youtu.be/vy5ky2QFVLk?t=16m8s

Jonnty fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 16, 2014

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Emma Laslett of Only Connect team The Lasletts was on a monster Mastermind the other day, with thundering scores across the board. I mention her as it shows that Tintower shamefully doesn't watch MM.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

This is going to sound awful and is very un-pc but one of the funniest shows on tv at the moment is http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-undateables/4od .

Yes I know its wrong, its laughing at the mentally impaired.

But the loving torrets people just make me & and girlfriend laugh like gently caress. There was one who said 'thundercats' as one of his ticks, and another who would just say 'friend of the family' everytime he saw a black person.

Again, yes I know its wrong.

And its sometimes sweet, some of em do get together.

(but i would be lying if i didnt just admit im basically laughing in an immature schoolboy way at it, sorry :( )

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Mr. Squishy posted:

Emma Laslett of Only Connect team The Lasletts was on a monster Mastermind the other day, with thundering scores across the board. I mention her as it shows that Tintower shamefully doesn't watch MM.

All of the Lasletts rock hard. I was so sad they didn't win Only connect. But the other team were cool too.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

no that i've really anything against Webb, but quite glad i saw it when Stephen Mangan was in the role

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Seaside Loafer posted:

This is going to sound awful and is very un-pc but one of the funniest shows on tv at the moment is http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-undateables/4od .

Yes I know its wrong, its laughing at the mentally impaired.

But the loving torrets people just make me & and girlfriend laugh like gently caress. There was one who said 'thundercats' as one of his ticks, and another who would just say 'friend of the family' everytime he saw a black person.

Again, yes I know its wrong.

And its sometimes sweet, some of em do get together.

(but i would be lying if i didnt just admit im basically laughing in an immature schoolboy way at it, sorry :( )
I don't feel bad about laughing watching this show, it's genuinely funny and I don't feel like I'm being mean, I think you're supposed to laugh

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Seaside Loafer posted:

There was one who said 'thundercats' as one of his ticks
That was a lady that said Thundercats as a replacement word because it's something inoffensive, to stop herself saying something worse. Right? I can see why you thought she was a dude, though, since she was dating ladies. I guess?

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

justcola posted:

My evening has so far been spent watching University Challenge, watching highlights of University Challenge on youtube then Sexy Beasts. I remember there was a time when I was spoilt for choice, nowadays I just frown at iplayer and wonder what was on BBC 4 the night before that isn't music related.

I started watching the last Weekly Wipe but it was a clip show, so I may as well have just watched that I guess? I think it'd be a better format if it was released monthly than weekly, but then again...whatever.

If you havent got rid of it yet Weekly wipes worth a watch, theres a few new bits including a new Limmy (and probably the best one of his from the run)

Brooker touched on why theres not a longer run and why theres a complilation on twitter

quote:

"We do 5 regular eps then a comp ep because that's what we're commissioned to do.

To answer another question, we could do a longer run than 5 eps if commissioned to do so, but for a really long run we'd need a bigger team, more contribs etc etc. To produce the material we currently do takes 7 days flat out and often means long nights etc.You have to factor in time it takes to watch & sift through hours of news footage etc before you can write a section.For instance, something like Daily Show must have huge team of researchers, writers, producers etc to generate several new mins of material nightly.

Our show is v diff beast and is chiefly assembled in edit suites throughout the week. We prune away about 25% of each item as we go.It's a very dense show in other words. To do a *much* longer run we'd prob have to cut back on the number of sections I do per episode.

Essentially there's nothing stopping a UK Daily Show, but the Wipe 'format' isn't conducive to that kind of nightly volume.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Paperhouse posted:

I don't feel bad about laughing watching this show, it's genuinely funny and I don't feel like I'm being mean, I think you're supposed to laugh

You, Seaside and the entirety of Channel 4 are all terrible people.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I'll always have a fondness for the Undateables purely for the "Shes in loving London" moment with Richard.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Gorn Myson posted:

I'll always have a fondness for the Undateables purely for the "Shes in loving London" moment with Richard.

Please explain.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Charlie Brooker via Taff posted:

Essentially there's nothing stopping a UK Daily Show

Well, except our news culture is completely different. American news is driven by TV, so they have the Daily Show and Colbert. British news is driven by newspapers, so we have Private Eye.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Rarity posted:

Please explain.

On my phone so can't embed as it never see to work...

http://youtu.be/_EVBhtoTWhA

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Trin Tragula posted:

Well, except our news culture is completely different. American news is driven by TV, so they have the Daily Show and Colbert. British news is driven by newspapers, so we have Private Eye.

The main difference is, i think that in the us the daily show for all its faults manages to go beyond laughing at politician said silly thing to get at the deeper issue, where as in the uk it'd just be politician said silly thing lol and move on, plus we tend to be far more averse to the sincerity that is present in the states.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

We only have to look at 10 O'Clock Live as to why we should all be glad there isn't a UK version of TDS. To be honest, whenever anything happens in this country that's worth talking about, TDS covers it anyway so its not as if we're really missing out.

Unless they commission a new series of The Friday (or Saturday) Night Armistice, which still holds up absolutely phenomenally to this day.

Blaminator
Apr 16, 2007

"He seriously didn't go mech?"
Is anyone watching the BAFTAs? Tinie Tempah just high fived Prince William...

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Blaminator posted:

Is anyone watching the BAFTAs? Tinie Tempah just high fived Prince William...

Just caught the last twenty minutes or so. Best line (Stephen Fry introducing the two people who will present the fellowship award to Helen Mirren):

quote:

For one of these it is the closest he will get to The King and I; for the other, it is the closest he has ever been... To an iron. Please welcome prince will.I.am, and Jeremy Irons.

:newlol:

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Gorn Myson posted:

was that the guy with really, really bad aspergers? and a mum who was kinda hot for her age as well

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
10 O'Clock Live has the potential to be good, if it weren't for a couple of things:

1. Jimmy Carr

2. The fact that it's live.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Yeah, every debate on it just descends into shouting... which is pretty accurate to real life, but not the best TV.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
3. Constant cutting to the audience. They should be heard but not seen.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The last episode of Graham Norton was amazing. Bill Murray, Matt Damon, and Hugh Bonneville absolutely brought the house down.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Has anyone watched that Johnathan Creek's Ski Lodge or whatever programme, where the thick one from QI who bit a man's ear off chats about something presumably related to the Sochi olympics, like some kind of bipedal Adam Hill. Is he in any way likable?

EL BROMANCE posted:

We only have to look at 10 O'Clock Live as to why we should all be glad there isn't a UK version of TDS. To be honest, whenever anything happens in this country that's worth talking about, TDS covers it anyway so its not as if we're really missing out.

You should probably become better informed.

Pablo Bluth posted:

3. Constant cutting to the audience. They should be heard but not seen.

4. *gestures expansively to indicate entire show*

e: oh, and adverts tell me that Channel 4's Mad Fat Teenage Diary is back, which is good news for the people here who insisted that it was, in fact, good.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 17, 2014

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Après Ski is absolutely awful and Alan Davies cannot present at all.

It is autocue-tastic.

Shame really, because I think he's great. Just not a presenter.

edit: mad fat diary IS good

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Hmm there's a show about Amanda Knox on BBC3 tonight. I'd like to watch it, but it's the same time as BSG on Pick, and I suspect that will only be marginally more fictional.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just remembered Inside No. 9 exists and caught the second episode. God drat, this show is great. One of the best things on British screens in a long while.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
Moone Boy was excellent tonight. Padrig was quality as usual.

I'm a bit disappointed we wont be able to watch Big Fat Diary till tomorrow.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
Good news about Uncle, it's been recommissioned (and I just found out that the BBC commissioned Heavy Entertainment too).

quote:

The comedy series, written and directed by Oliver Refson and starring Nick Helm, has been swiftly recommissioned after favourable feedback from viewers, positive press reviews and good ratings.

The sitcom follows the misadventures of Andy (Helm), a dissolute, out-of work musician who forges an unlikely alliance with his 12-year-old nephew Errol (Elliot Speller-Gillott) after being morally blackmailed into looking after him by his chaotic sister, Sam (Daisy Haggard). Not a natural with either kids or responsibility, Andy tries to keep his new charge out of trouble whilst often ending up knee-deep in it himself.

[...]

The new series is expected to go into production later this year for broadcast in 2015.

Nick Helm, who recently won the Breakthrough category at the South Bank Awards, has a busy 12 months ahead of him. As well as starring in the second series of Uncle, he is also filming a studio-based comedy series for BBC Three called Nick Helm's Heavy Entertainment and is writing a sitcom pilot for Channel 4 called White Thunder.

lets go swimming fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 17, 2014

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

thehustler posted:

Après Ski is absolutely awful and Alan Davies cannot present at all.

My instincts are still razor-sharp, good to know.
Tonight on BBC4 some guy risked his meatus in the search for candiru, making him my telly hero of the week. It also brought us the impossibly stark border between the Reo Negro and the Amazon.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Mr. Squishy posted:

My instincts are still razor-sharp, good to know.
Tonight on BBC4 some guy risked his meatus in the search for candiru, making him my telly hero of the week. It also brought us the impossibly stark border between the Reo Negro and the Amazon.

Thanks for this, watched a few of these a few years back and forgot to download the rest!

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

onoflalks posted:

Good news about Uncle, it's been recommissioned (and I just found out that the BBC commissioned Heavy Entertainment too).

This is great news. And combining thread favourites, Nick Helm has also been booked as a guest on RHLSTP.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mr. Squishy posted:

You should probably become better informed.

Haha, I'm uninformed because I think a comedy TV show is garbage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

EL BROMANCE posted:

Haha, I'm uninformed because I think a comedy TV show is garbage?

I think he meant you shouldnt get your total UK news information from a 2-minute TDS segment once a fortnight.