Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Could Punk even appear at Honorcon if he's still under contract? I know it won't be on air but still, it's an event promoted by another company

He's an independent contractor and so long as he's not on TV he can do what he likes. Guys with slower schedules like Jerry Lawler and Tommy Dreamer used to do local indies that didn't have TV, DVD or Youtube.

Of course that won't sit well with Vince because he loving hates people using the freedom that is granted in an independent contract to do things independently of the WWE. See Macho Man doing the Slim Jims ad or any Diva ever doing anything in music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

If ROH does anything at all that indicates they've had discussions prior to Punk's WWE contract expiring, can't they get the poo poo sued out of them? Isn't that what happened with the WWE/TNA thing?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

Bryan learning what the Tardis is :allears:.

Also, bonus Impact review because Del is a loving rear end in a top hat.

http://shootcast.org/impact-wrestling-for-02-13-14/

OK, what show do I need to listen to for what I assume is 20 minutes of Alvarez trying to wrap his head around "It's bigger... on the INSIDE?!!"

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

OK, what show do I need to listen to for what I assume is 20 minutes of Alvarez trying to wrap his head around "It's bigger... on the INSIDE?!!"

Sounds like we need a sequel to the Todd Martin "song."

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Gonzo McFee posted:

He's an independent contractor and so long as he's not on TV he can do what he likes. Guys with slower schedules like Jerry Lawler and Tommy Dreamer used to do local indies that didn't have TV, DVD or Youtube.

Of course that won't sit well with Vince because he loving hates people using the freedom that is granted in an independent contract to do things independently of the WWE. See Macho Man doing the Slim Jims ad or any Diva ever doing anything in music.

I always assumed Dreamer, Lawler, et al cleared those appearances with the office since they're wrestling related while music/ads aren't. I could definitely be wrong though

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I always assumed Dreamer, Lawler, et al cleared those appearances with the office since they're wrestling related while music/ads aren't. I could definitely be wrong though

I think Lawler basically has carte blanche (he still wrestles for indies) to do his own stuff since he's a commentator and Vince trusts and respects him.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I'm not a lawyer but legally he can do what he likes so long as he doesn't breach the terms of his contract and since forbidding an independent contractor from working within their contracted medium would be unenforceable if Vince sued he can do what he likes. You clear it with the WWE because Vince is a control freak who has people do promotional work for free because if anyone refused they'd get shitcanned or depushed fast.

Basically Vince wants the control of an employee with the lack of responsibility of an independent contractor. If Punk is really going to go and do something perfectly legal just to piss off Vince McMahon I'll love him forever.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

I'm not a lawyer but legally he can do what he likes so long as he doesn't breach the terms of his contract and since forbidding an independent contractor from working within their contracted medium would be unenforceable if Vince sued he can do what he likes.

Basically Vince wants the control of an employee with the lack of responsibility of an independent contractor. If Punk is really going to go and do something perfectly legal just to piss off Vince McMahon I'll love him forever.

Wouldn't Punk basically be okay as long as he doesn't wrestle?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MassRafTer posted:

I was worried I was going to hear a bunch of Doctor Who discussion on Bryan and Vinny but I guess that was on another show, so I was saved. Minor miracles.
It was on Thursday's Bryan and Vinny during the Granny call.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gonzo McFee posted:

No, he can't. Lawler is under an announcer contract that let's him take outside gigs under certain circumstances. I don't remember Dreamer doing anything outside of ROH, I guess he may have, but I don't remember it. Those were cleared with WWE. When you are under WWE contract you have to clear any outside wrestling appearances you make. In theory you could do a bunch, in practice they will never clear them and they have the contractual right to veto them. If Punk made a promotional appearance at Honorcon WWE would take legal action and would win unless Punk can prove that WWE breached his contract and voided it. If ROH announced they were signing CM Punk I have a feeling they'd be on the hook for tampering. As for the Slim Jim's sponsorship, Vince loved the extra money it brought him. The claims Vince hated Macho for that are bullshit, Vince tried to re-sign him in 96 and then in 98 or 99. Having Macho with that sponsorship brought in money. Obviously it sucked to lose it, but both companies liked that extra revenue.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Holy poo poo, Kevin's rant about the storyline to the main event of Unforgiven '99 in the latest AE Podcast is loving gold.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Do not even ask posted:

Holy poo poo, Kevin's rant about the storyline to the main event of Unforgiven '99 in the latest AE Podcast is loving gold.

Refresh my memory, what was it?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Gaz-L posted:

Said where in my last post, but it was really very brief, and he kind of just dismisses the whole thing.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

No, he can't. Lawler is under an announcer contract that let's him take outside gigs under certain circumstances. I don't remember Dreamer doing anything outside of ROH, I guess he may have, but I don't remember it. Those were cleared with WWE. When you are under WWE contract you have to clear any outside wrestling appearances you make. In theory you could do a bunch, in practice they will never clear them and they have the contractual right to veto them. If Punk made a promotional appearance at Honorcon WWE would take legal action and would win unless Punk can prove that WWE breached his contract and voided it. If ROH announced they were signing CM Punk I have a feeling they'd be on the hook for tampering. As for the Slim Jim's sponsorship, Vince loved the extra money it brought him. The claims Vince hated Macho for that are bullshit, Vince tried to re-sign him in 96 and then in 98 or 99. Having Macho with that sponsorship brought in money. Obviously it sucked to lose it, but both companies liked that extra revenue.

Good thing I prefaced it with INAL.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Refresh my memory, what was it?

The 6 pack challenge clusterfuck, with Vince as world champion.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I can not wait to hear the AE Podcast's review of Bash of the Beach 2000

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

bobkatt013 posted:

I can not wait to hear the AE Podcast's review of Bash of the Beach 2000

That's a WCW pay=per-view?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

That's a WCW pay=per-view?

Yes and one of the most infamous. It has the Russo shoot.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
he still knows...

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes and one of the most infamous. It has the Russo shoot.

Yeah, but AE Podcast only does WWF, right?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Yeah, but AE Podcast only does WWF, right?

They are doing this one special as a memorial to Russo.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
Cena records with Austin tomorrow. I haven't listened to much of Austin's podcast but I'm looking forward to that

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Wario Kart 64 posted:

Cena records with Austin tomorrow. I haven't listened to much of Austin's podcast but I'm looking forward to that

My understanding is that Austin recorded shows with Zeb, Cena and Big Show backstage at the Raw he went to last week, as opposed to setting up interview times with them. He noted that it is really difficult to set aside time with current wrestlers because they're always involved in some kind of promotional work for WWE if they're not wrestling or training.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

MassRafTer posted:

Yeah that's pretty much what I thought, thanks

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
I will be shocked if we actually learn anything about Cena. Dude is a loving WWE robot.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah, Austin or not it's going to be the same Cena interview we get all the time.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I have no doubt. Dude can't not tow the company line.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
he still knows...

LividLiquid posted:

I have no doubt. Dude can't not tow the company line.

He does at least say he wants new opponents.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Punchsport Podcast: is Big Daddy Yum Yum a viable candidate for the 2014 Wrestling Observer Newsletter Award for Most Improved after a single match in Japan?

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I ask for more questions.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

HulkaMatt posted:

I ask for more questions.

Besides Shinsuke/Okada, what fresh matchups would you like to see in NJPW?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oatgan posted:

Punchsport Podcast: is Big Daddy Yum Yum a viable candidate for the 2014 Wrestling Observer Newsletter Award for Most Improved after a single match in Japan?

Now there are two Big Daddies who need to be in the HoF.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
I like Big Daddy V just as much as anyone, but I dont know about that.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Punch/Pisscast: Book a UFC/WWE supershow. All UFC-style fights. Both WWE and UFC titles can be put on the line. Including the tag team championships.

I'm so sorry.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Podcast Q: How would you rehabilitate Randy Orton, if you think he can be the top heel?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Which wrestler that got a big, sustained push that ultimately lead nowhere was your favorite? Least favorite? Ahmed Johnson? Tatanka? Drew McIntyre?

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
Punchsport Podcast: Do you think there's anyone who could actually be pushed by the 'losing streak' plotline the WWE loves giving to people because they're insane?

Who, either on the roster or in developmental, would you like to see on an undefeated streak for the next 6+ months?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

We answered some of your questions on this show:

http://shootcast.org/wwe-monday-night-raw-for-02-17-14/

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Austins interview with cena is up.

http://podcastone.com/Steve-Austin-Show-Clean

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Cena's dad :3:

Also, Cena is as charismatic as usual.

edit: Cena's a smart dude. Tows the company line like a champ, but he's a smart dude.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Feb 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

LordPants posted:

Cena's dad :3:

Cena: My Dad and I never played catch :smith: ......we'd have Battle Royales in the living room instead! :neckbeard:

• Locked thread