Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caros
May 14, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

Kind of a low bar there.

Hey, I didn't include AGE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I hope I never see another RG mode activation for the rest of the series.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

paragon1 posted:

If there's one thing I've learned, it's that in fiction it doesn't matter if your concept is absolute poo poo or the most Amazing thing ever, so long as your execution is good enough.

People come for good ideas, but they stay for the execution. A strong concept is good for getting people interested, but if something doesn't live up to the premise then people won't stay for long. Conversely a weak idea won't catch as much initial interest, but with a strong execution it'll do a much better job of retaining the people who do try it out.

Caros posted:

I actually disagree with this. There are a lot of themes that run just below the surface other than BUY OUR GUNPLA other than the typical shonen ones, and even if its plot never gets into world shaking chaos I'd argue Build Fighters is a lot deeper than many of the 'serious' Gundam shows.

Back at the very first episode I commented one of of the major themes that is still a driving factor of the show, the idea of doing your own thing rather than following what came before. This theme is the Build Fighters variant on "The oldtypes are making everything suck rear end", and its shown in everything from the choice to have Reiji pilot the Build Strike, China's cotton stuffed Bearguy, the creation of the Star Build Strike and its abilites along with countless other examples.

What makes this theme interesting (at least to me) is that its a very meta theme on the concept of Gundam itself, and one of the telling things about the staff in general. Sei creates a version of the strike (a suit from a show that was a remake of MSG) in an attempt to imitate his father, who piloted the RX-78-2 to second place, and he utterly fails in attempting to be his father, in effect by just trying to do the same thing as his dad he's just making a poor imitation. Its not until he breaks out of the mold, an alternate pilot, a completely new game 'mechanic' that he starts to excel.

Build Fighters has a lot to say about Gundam as a series and in my mind the tournament arc is arguably more interesting and engaging than pretty much any character development in SEED, Victory, Wing etc.

That isn't obvious from the premise though. "Kids playing Gunpla battle" is what people hear before they try the show, which does make it sound like a cash-grab.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit: Nevermind, mispost.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Feb 17, 2014

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

New episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6IBs_q0XfQ

Nils uses Hokuto Shinken.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

That freezeframe previeuw image is straight out of Gurren Lagann:kamina: (or what GL took it from i guess)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zedd posted:

That freezeframe previeuw image is straight out of Gurren Lagann:kamina: (or what GL took it from i guess)

ROW! ROW! FIGHT THE GENIUS!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Caroraaaaaaaaain is still being the best character that doesn't pilot a Gyan. A Good episode even without the fights.

EDIT: Holy poo poo did they cut some animation corners this episode. I wish I had a gif of Sei and Reiji walking down the stairs after the fight. Jesus.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 17, 2014

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I will give them credit for bringing up a lot of different styles of fights.

Last week was a pure guerilla tactics shootout. This week's fight was 100% cribbed straight out of classic samurai action and chinese martial arts movies.

Except with more punching.

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 17, 2014

DookieSandwich
Nov 14, 2012
Carorine is the best

Nils can't handle her

DookieSandwich fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 17, 2014

Powerstone
May 30, 2010

What the fuck is this?
He named his Gunpla "Sengoku" but he's using Chinese martial arts! :spergin:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Hahaha, you could see the animators struggling to make things as dynamic as possible even though the Sengoku Astray is a bitch and a half to draw. :allears:

Anyways, as always that was a great fight. I'm really glad they've tried to make the fights as varied as possible, from Fellini's "two equals beating the poo poo out of each other" to Mao's "underdog vs expected winner" to last weeks tactical struggle to this weeks "gently caress it, PUNCH EACH OTHER".

Also Caroline continues to be the best.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

I will give them credit for bringing up a lot of different styles of fights.

Last week was a pure guerilla tactics shootout. This week's fight was 100% cribbed straight out of classic samurai action and chinese martial arts movies.

Except with more punching.

As much as I love punch-outs I can't help but think it would've been hilarious if the Build Strike abandonded its samurai honor the first chance it got.

Oh, we broke your swords? Guess we'll use our beam rifle again now. :smuggo:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Powerstone posted:

Yeah with Nils being off character every time Caroline was in character and both being hilarious, I still found this line to be the funniest because of how out of nowhere it came from.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Zedd posted:

The music that played at the beginning of the fight was :kamina: as hell too, had to do a doubletake to make sure it wasn't actually TTGL music.

Quad Cape
Dec 24, 2012
this is the third time they relied on their fists. Its high time they ditched the Strike base and mod a Maxter Gundam (God would be OK too i guess).

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
What the gently caress is Moomin doing there?

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDTX6eGaG7I

Original
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZgG6ScmScw

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I noticed the Strikes foot "bending" there at one point, you don't got that much articulation son :v:

Otherwise this fight was taken straight out of some Fist of the North Star beat down, aw yeah.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I liked this fight, it was more straight up dbz then the tactical stuff last episode. I generally prefer the latter, but it was a nice change of pace.

Although Why didn't sei give the build strike a machine gun or something, it's hard to cut through a hail of bullets. Also I think sei is going to bankrupt his parents shop considering how many times he's had to rebuild parts of the star build strike :v:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Because those bullets would still be made of plavsky particles

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

muike posted:

Because those bullets would still be made of plavsky particles

That doesn't mean much in the setting. Strike's shield can't absorb solid shots either. Whatever the rules of Gunpla Battle are, Solid plavasky things are different from Beam plavsky things.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I guess I didn't think of that because it doesn't really make any sense but I will go with it.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I love that a negotiation between two English speakers was conducted in Japanese with both acting like Japanese business people.

I can think of a couple reasons that would make sense, but it's still funny.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Maybe Baker was just humoring Nils' Japanophilia. Still funny, yeah.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Caroraaaaaaaaain is still being the best character that doesn't pilot a Gyan. A Good episode even without the fights.

EDIT: Holy poo poo did they cut some animation corners this episode. I wish I had a gif of Sei and Reiji walking down the stairs after the fight. Jesus.
Man, the staff weren't kidding about Sengoku Astray being a bitch to animate. Half the fight was in total black shading just to get around all of this. I can only imagine how the DVD/BD version will look.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I love how Virtue's pilot is Movie Tieria.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I love how every other cameo put in the effort to dress right, but this guy just put on a helmet.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Blink and you miss it, but Kati Mannequin and Sumeragi are chilling out in the bar when Fellini and Mihoshi/Kirara are talking about the fight. Sumeragi even wore her hilariously cleavagetastic shirt.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

TARDISman posted:

Blink and you miss it, but Kati Mannequin and Sumeragi are chilling out in the bar when Fellini and Mihoshi/Kirara are talking about the fight. Sumeragi even wore her hilariously cleavagetastic shirt.

And in the background of that shot are the Flag fighters.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Powerstone posted:

Best moment of the episode. Meijin is pretty consistently the funniest character in the show.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

And in the background of that shot are the Flag fighters.

Oh yeah, there's Generic Name and DARYL DODGE, PROUD TO BE A FLAG FIGHTER :patriot:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Sindai posted:

Best moment of the episode. Meijin is pretty consistently the funniest character in the show.

I was waiting for that statement to somehow be a plot point that led to Nils' defeat. Then no one else even mentioned or noticed it for the remainder of the episode and I busted out laughing.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

TARDISman posted:

Oh yeah, there's Generic Name and DARYL DODGE, PROUD TO BE A FLAG FIGHTER :patriot:

How dare you disrespect HOWARD MASOOOOOONN. The man who's death inspired a nation and began one man's obsession with Flags.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Kanos posted:

I was waiting for that statement to somehow be a plot point that led to Nils' defeat. Then no one else even mentioned or noticed it for the remainder of the episode and I busted out laughing.

I like to think that while they were busy animating that, somebody pointed out that exact inconsistency. Cue the staff looking at each other and deciding to run with it.

EDIT: Incidentally, best part of the fight was how the Sengoku kept its arms crossed during the entire sword fight. My OP post was right!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Man that next episode trailer has me hyped that our Flag Fighter is going to do some damage before being taken down by plot.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

AradoBalanga posted:

Man, the staff weren't kidding about Sengoku Astray being a bitch to animate. Half the fight was in total black shading just to get around all of this. I can only imagine how the DVD/BD version will look.

I'm guessing when they started making the designs for the show, they saw the design and thought it was so cool looking they kept it. They only later realized "gently caress this thing is so complicated, how are we going to animate it?"

edit V- the destiny remaster still has ads for mg's and rg's that are over a year old, so it's not surprising.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 18, 2014

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I am kind of surprised that, for such a toy commercial, they haven't updated the promos at all. They still talk about the HG Wing coming out in September (2013) and the V2 coming out in February (already happened).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So this episode kind of solidified something for me.

Every single person in the show has a more interesting motivation and characterization than Sei. Sei has basically been the same dude since episode 1 and has fairly little development or change and his motivation is "man, I sure want to win tiny plastic battles because tiny plastic battles are fun." It's a bit frustrating because he is constantly surrounded by more interesting characters with more meaningful motivations. Reiji, at bare minimum, is at least getting plot and storylines and things to do and exhibiting some kind of personal change. Sei... blushes a bit less around China? Even by boring anime protagonist standards he's pretty exceptionally boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I'm still waiting for someone to call Sei on how his ideal pilot is a 1:1 replica of his dad.

• Locked thread