Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

unpronounceable posted:

I know they use an irc bot to get commands from the chat but how does it interface with the emulator?

So it's still kinda ugly, but this works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Use an IRC library, Admiral. Look at what I built for SGF.

(And seriously, just use a Lua script or something)

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

So it's still kinda ugly, but this works.

Happened to notice INPUT_HARDWARD (line 186) and INPUT_HARDWARE (line 194).

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Brassherald posted:

If you look at the Twitch numbers, Twitch Plays Pokemon has almost exclusively brought Pokemon Red/Blue to the number 2 played game behind League of Legends. Interesting idea, and seems to be successful.

Obviously, the next logical step is to combine the two.

That's right: Twitch Plays League. Only you have ten streams of it going on at all times.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

ApeHawk posted:

Obviously, the next logical step is to combine the two.

That's right: Twitch Plays League. Only you have ten streams of it going on at all times.

I can only imagine this being hours of "g" and "left click" (Ping the map) over and over again.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
I loving love DarkSyde Phil.

Maybe he really is the Andy Kaufman of Let's Play. This is loving hilarious to me.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
Wait, if he didn't open the box then what the gently caress is on the video?

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

ReturnOfFable posted:

Wait, if he didn't open the box then what the gently caress is on the video?

Lord knows, because it's 15 minutes that I am not gonna watch!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

slowbeef posted:

I didn't watch it, I just moused over the timeline to get that little preview frame and it is like 14 minutes of staring at the front of the box, 30 seconds of the back and then the rest was explaining about some alarm that was making a lot of noise and also him bitching about how he was gonna have to start recording with that alarm in the background. :stare:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

One job, Phil. You had ONE job.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

slowbeef posted:

Basically, the fire alarm malfunctions when the weather gets really cold, so it's gone off three times on that day already, requiring the fire department to head out each time to deactivate the alarm. There is no on-site superintendent to supervise the condo, so nothing gets done, and the alarm keeps going off, and apparently, by the third time, the fire department couldn't be arsed to come out.

And honestly, I can't really blame him for that. I mean, he still had to consciously upload the video, but considering how fast he knocks out content, and considering how painful it is to have a fire alarm going for an hour plus, I would probably be just as rattled as he is. I'd go insane if a fire alarm just went off for just five minutes.

There are a lot of reasons to rag on the guy, but I wouldn't pick this one.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Hell, next time, it's going to be a video titled "Buying Game," and then he walks around the store for two hours not finding it and walking out with nothing.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

TheMcD posted:

Basically, the fire alarm malfunctions when the weather gets really cold, so it's gone off three times on that day already, requiring the fire department to head out each time to deactivate the alarm. There is no on-site superintendent to supervise the condo, so nothing gets done, and the alarm keeps going off, and apparently, by the third time, the fire department couldn't be arsed to come out.

And honestly, I can't really blame him for that. I mean, he still had to consciously upload the video, but considering how fast he knocks out content, and considering how painful it is to have a fire alarm going for an hour plus, I would probably be just as rattled as he is. I'd go insane if a fire alarm just went off for just five minutes.

He still uploaded an unboxing video in which he does not actually even open the box in question, and still called it an unboxing video.

EDIT: Really, half of this is DSP being DSP and half of it is the general rule that unboxing videos tend to be kinda stupid.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

ApeHawk posted:

Hell, next time, it's going to be a video titled "Buying Game," and then he walks around the store for two hours not finding it and walking out with nothing.

"Where's the game?! What are these, shelves?! No one told me I had to look through shelves! Alpha-Alphabetical order? What's an alphabet! That's not in the manual! This Best Buy is dumb! WHAT?! This is a refrigerator! That's not a video game at all!"

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
"The game you want doesn't just appear in your hands? That's bullshit. This store is bugged."

How will he be able to give away the box if he doesn't take the game out first?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

TheMcD posted:

If he'd called it "Painfully annoying V-log guest-starring fire alarm DO NOT WATCH" then I'd give him credit for this one. But he didn't.

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012
Fun fact: He forgot to "unbox" Resident Evil: Revelations as well. Didn't have a excuse there.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

If he'd called it "Painfully annoying V-log guest-starring fire alarm DO NOT WATCH" then I'd give him credit for this one. But he didn't.

Color Printer posted:

He still uploaded an unboxing video in which he does not actually even open the box in question, and still called it an unboxing video.

EDIT: Really, half of this is DSP being DSP and half of it is the general rule that unboxing videos tend to be kinda stupid.

Might really be that I'm just sympathizing with him because I can't even function properly in the long term when loud noises like fire alarms, pneumatic drills and the like are about and constant.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

TheMcD posted:

Might really be that I'm just sympathizing with him because I can't even function properly in the long term when loud noises like fire alarms, pneumatic drills and the like are about and constant.

And DSP is already not firing on all cylinders even without distractions. With the distraction I'm just proud of him for not trying to eat the case.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I actually watched a little bit of that, he says that the game is "supposedly" the third and final game in the trilogy, as if there is an off chance that Square Enix was doing some false advertising and the game is really a sequel to Brave Fencer Musashi.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

David D. Davidson posted:

I actually watched a little bit of that, he says that the game is "supposedly" the third and final game in the trilogy, as if there is an off chance that Square Enix was doing some false advertising and the game is really a sequel to Brave Fencer Musashi.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if square made another FFXIII game.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Doesn't Phil do that a lot, like saying something like "This is Final Fantasy X, which I heard is the 10th numbered game in the series", like the developers are going to pull one on him midway through.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

bobjr posted:

Doesn't Phil do that a lot, like saying something like "This is Final Fantasy X, which I heard is the 10th numbered game in the series", like the developers are going to pull one on him midway through.

Well, technically the numbering between regions is a bit funny early on, but yeah this is after they got their poo poo together in that regard. :v:

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

bobjr posted:

He probably thinks he's being clever.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Ablative posted:

He probably thinks he's being clever.

I don't know how clever you think you can be when you have several videos that are at least 90% of a game installing.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ChaosArgate posted:

I don't know how clever you think you can be when you have several videos that are at least 90% of a game installing.

DSP genuinely thinks he's a good person and that every game he sucks at is the fault of the developers. Trust me, as far as he is concerned he's the most clever man on the planet.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

ChaosArgate posted:

Often mentioned, but it's worth keeping in mind.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

slowbeef posted:

Maybe he really is the Andy Kaufman of Let's Play. This is loving hilarious to me.

What are the Andy Kaufman LP's we've had here? Ones where we know that the LPer was trolling his audience for no reason other than their own amusement? I can think of Taxidermist Pasta's dongs.exe, and maybe Cybershell's Half Life 2(?) LP. I tried some Andy Kaufman humor during TFTD but there's no way I could keep it up an entire LP. I'd love to see more examples but only if I know I'm being trolled. I believe DSP is just that stupid and can't watch anything of his for more than 10 seconds because of it.

Edit: Lurkdawg LttP deserves a spot on this list.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

The thing that I take away from that image is that he's going to be doing an LP of Final Fantasy 13-3. I mean, we already know that he only ever does games that his viewers ask for because viewers and money is more important than what he actually enjoys, but who would even ask him to play that, of all loving games?

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
He almost exclusively does New releases, he saves everything else for slow weeks.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

How much money does someone like DSP make doing this racket?

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Typically about as much as a standard desk job, if not a low-paying one, and without any of the benefits that having a "real" job provides. Most LPers who make their living off of it aren't that rich (DSP clearly isn't, since he trades every game in), it's only PDP that makes ridiculous amounts of money from it.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

GuavaMoment posted:

What are the Andy Kaufman LP's we've had here?

The first Dragon Age 2 lp could be interpreted that way.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Sneaky Fast posted:

How much money does someone like DSP make doing this racket?

At minimum around 60k a year, probably more like 100k. That's just based on rough napkin estimates of what his monetized views and CPM probably are.

Keep in mind the dude got 3.5 MILLION views in the past month.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The best thing about this is that you'll be able to win this case in a month or so. Not the disk, he's gonna trade that in.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

unfair posted:

At minimum around 60k a year, probably more like 100k.

Jesus H. Christ. Just the 60K figure is a COMFORTABLE living...for Let's Play? Oh slowbeef, if only you'd known this poo poo was going to turn into what it has. Should've just paid the money to have "Let's Play" copyrighted, with a small portion from every penny made from anything "Let's Play" put in your pocket. gently caress, you'd be a rich, rich man.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

slowbeef posted:

I loving love DarkSyde Phil.

Also note that in the comment, he is absolving himself of all blame. It's not HIS fault he forgot to actually unbox the game. It's not HIS fault he uploaded the video where nothing happens. It's the bugged fire alarm mechanics that caused those things to happen!

Phil knows full well what he's doing. If he actually put the effort into his videos, he would be vastly cutting down on the amount of content he would be able to push out, and he doesn't believe that there would be an increase in views to account for the loss of production. He churned out 200 unedited camcorder videos of Dragon Age for 1,000 views each over the course of a month, and that's the safe option for him. To do direct capture, to edit down videos, to release an LP of that game, from start to finish over a longer period of time with a more thoughtful play style, is too much of a risk for him.

It's not a matter of him being able to do the work (he probably can't). He just wants to milk his viewer base as much as he can and is afraid of doing anything differently that would lose what he has.

Brassherald
Feb 3, 2012

Wait, I'm the one who calls people buttheads!
I don't care why he forgot to open the box, it's hard to feel bad for him when the oversight can be fixed by saying, "I did not achieve the main purpose of this video. I will not release the video and attempt to make it correctly." Quality control is absolutely foreign to this guy.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Jamesman posted:

Also note that in the comment, he is absolving himself of all blame. It's not HIS fault he forgot to actually unbox the game. It's not HIS fault he uploaded the video where nothing happens. It's the bugged fire alarm mechanics that caused those things to happen!

Phil knows full well what he's doing. If he actually put the effort into his videos, he would be vastly cutting down on the amount of content he would be able to push out, and he doesn't believe that there would be an increase in views to account for the loss of production. He churned out 200 unedited camcorder videos of Dragon Age for 1,000 views each over the course of a month, and that's the safe option for him. To do direct capture, to edit down videos, to release an LP of that game, from start to finish over a longer period of time with a more thoughtful play style, is too much of a risk for him.

It's not a matter of him being able to do the work (he probably can't). He just wants to milk his viewer base as much as he can and is afraid of doing anything differently that would lose what he has.

Just a quick FYI, he's switched to direct capture. There was a big stink from his fanbase over the switch, but his stuff is actually not awful to at least look at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brassherald
Feb 3, 2012

Wait, I'm the one who calls people buttheads!

ChaosArgate posted:

Just a quick FYI, he's switched to direct capture. There was a big stink from his fanbase over the switch, but his stuff is actually not awful to at least look at.

To add on, he switched to direct capture so he could stream on Twitch, because he was losing revenue by not live streaming content.

• Locked thread