Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

New Truthism :v:

This time wasn't the MC fault!

:haw:

Gahhhh! That translation!! It's a shame, I think the manga could be very enjoyable to read if it weren't for the Babelfish translation!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

Gahhhh! That translation!! It's a shame, I think the manga could be very enjoyable to read if it weren't for the Babelfish translation!

Babelfish? Pshaw, it's all about the Google translate these days. Speaking of sub-par translations here's Chapter 3 of Mikake no Nijuusei :toot:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Joshlemagne posted:

Babelfish? Pshaw, it's all about the Google translate these days. Speaking of sub-par translations here's Chapter 3 of Mikake no Nijuusei :toot:

Y-you dummy! That's your own translation, I saw your name in the credits!

Aw man, I wonder how this latest development will pan out? I hope they can remain friends now that the "fake" issue has been driven between them. :ohdear:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Joshlemagne posted:

No, I think DrSunshine was right. If they had used Google Translate I'm pretty sure it would have read a little more natural than it does.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Zai x 10 Chapter 13

I didn't much care for the first time around with the kidnappers, but this one was pretty great.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
On a side note, I was rereading Zai x 10 and I realized in Chapter 8, a bunch of the male characters show up in the first page. I can make out the target from Chapter 2, one of the kidnappers, the dine and dash dude from Chapter 10 and the plane hijacker from Chapter 7.

EDIT: And what might be the old lady from Chapter 9.

ZepiaEltnamOberon fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Feb 17, 2014

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

Aw man, I wonder how this latest development will pan out?

I can pretty much guarantee that whatever you expect to happen is not what's going to happen.

I think this is the first chapter that starts to show off why I like this manga. If you look carefully in the early chapters you can see the original Ayako is left-handed at school and that they use opposite hands. It reminds me of a thing I read about how people prefer mirrored pictures of themselves to normal ones because that's how you normally see yourself. It helps to explain a bit why she takes it so well. And I also like the way the "fake" one is shown in silhouette at the end of the chapter.

Che Delilas posted:

No, I think DrSunshine was right. If they had used Google Translate I'm pretty sure it would have read a little more natural than it does.

I don't know. I've had occasion to use Google Translate lately and while the crowd-sourcing thing makes it good for picking up weird slangy words that aren't in regular dictionaries it still pretty much gives back gibberish if you try to put a sentence in it. At least in my experience. Maybe it works better on non-japanese languages, though.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Joshlemagne posted:

I don't know. I've had occasion to use Google Translate lately and while the crowd-sourcing thing makes it good for picking up weird slangy words that aren't in regular dictionaries it still pretty much gives back gibberish if you try to put a sentence in it. At least in my experience. Maybe it works better on non-japanese languages, though.

Yeah, that's the joke I was trying trying to make using apparently too much subtlety.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Che Delilas posted:

Yeah, that's the joke I was trying trying to make using apparently too much subtlety.

Well, you can never be 100% sure on the internet. I just didn't want anyone to accidentally walk away with the impression that Google Translate was actually useful or anything.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

I'm cross-quoting this from the Convince someone to read a manga with one image thread, because it really fits in well here. One can only hope more gets made.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I hope it sticks with colored chapters. Kuro is just the sweetest little formless horror from beyond the stars.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Serious Frolicking posted:

I hope it sticks with colored chapters. Kuro is just the sweetest little formless horror from beyond the stars.

It has so many "quotable" pages. I like the one where his legs become really long and she thinks he's standing on the stair rail.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Kuro reminds me a lot of stuff like Donyatsu or Alien Nine. It seems to be in about the middle, darker than Donyatsu but not as dark as Alien Nine.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Donyatsu -- This week, it becomes a mecha series! :allears:

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Apparently yes, there is more of that Lovecraftian cat manga, as here's another batch of it. Or rather, 2 pages of it. I'm not sure if its published a page at a time, or if the translator is just handling it in a weird way or what.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Blhue posted:

Apparently yes, there is more of that Lovecraftian cat manga, as here's another batch of it. Or rather, 2 pages of it. I'm not sure if its published a page at a time, or if the translator is just handling it in a weird way or what.

It "runs" on the same webpage as Murata's version of Onepunch-Man. And yes, it's a page per week.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

DrSunshine posted:

I had a feeling that that would happen eventually, but I love that it's those two that are drift compatible.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Blhue posted:

That has great art and makes me wish more manga were in color.

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

A mecha series which pilots are weird donut cats. This series is wonderful. :allears:

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

Say what? More horse butt.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

First page-- drat, son, that is not how a sweater works. :colbert:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The weird person pile doesn't stop from getting taller in the latest The truth is....

Also I'm starting to think that group wants translators.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Nate RFB posted:

The weird person pile doesn't stop from getting taller in the latest The truth is....

Also I'm starting to think that group wants translators.

You know, at first the way their faces were drawn it seemed really weird to me but now I think is really endearing and cute. Is just so expressive :haw:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

You know, at first the way their faces were drawn it seemed really weird to me but now I think is really endearing and cute. Is just so expressive :haw:

I like that the art style is a little different than the standard fare, if you follow me, but it could stand to be a little less simple.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Speaking of The Truth Is..., there's another new chapter! The translation feels a little rougher this time, but it's still basically intelligible.

The true contest in this chapter is who can face-palm harder.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Before her life is over that teacher is probably going to have a hand print permanently left on her face from all the :ughh:

Also good to see some new faces besides :haw::

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The concept behind 'truthism' should've wore really thin by now and yet, is still really enjoyable and goofy.

Can't decide if tiny class rep or tiny principal are the best though. :allears:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

Before her life is over that teacher is probably going to have a hand print permanently left on her face from all the :ughh:

Also good to see some new faces besides :haw::

This manga has the best facial expressions. :allears:

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

The faces in this chapter is the true highlight. I haven't laughed at faces like that in a while

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

boredsatellite posted:

The faces in this chapter is the true highlight. I haven't laughed at faces like that in a while

Have you watched Lovely Complex? It's got some of the greatest face work I've ever seen (incidentally, a couple of great voice actors too). It's not surreal or anything, it's just a high school romance, but if you like faces, trust me: Lovely Complex.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I actually haven't but thanks for the recommendation. I'll check it out later!

New Centaur's Worries

Pretty cute overall.

I do like the reverse racism comment. I'm continuously surprised by the social commentary this manga about a centaur schoolgirl manages to dosh out

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
That interesting reverse racism comment... it's essentially based upon the perception that everyone should get equal aid, but in truth some people just need more help than others to bring them closer to the same standard of living. Merpeople're severely disadvantaged in environments not specially tailored for them, so it makes sense the ones that want to coexist in the same environment as the other races'd get a lot of attention in terms of aid.

This is something I have kind of a personal perceptive on, with my deafness. Though there're people who would need considerably more assistance than me--people who're almost completely paralyzed for one.

There're also groups of people plagued with socioeconomic issues, but that's a hotly debated issue all by itself. This centaur schoolgirl manga does seem to be kind of making a commentary on that, though.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

What is this? How could this be?

How could there be a new chapter of Sumire 17-Sai! after all this time? I guess someone finally got back to translating the rest of the manga.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

boredsatellite posted:

I actually haven't but thanks for the recommendation. I'll check it out later!

New Centaur's Worries

Pretty cute overall.

I do like the reverse racism comment. I'm continuously surprised by the social commentary this manga about a centaur schoolgirl manages to dosh out

I like to think the artist drew the princess-carry mermaid gag, and then later thought to themselves "Wait, that's actually really cute. I should make them characters."

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

DrSunshine posted:

What is this? How could this be?

How could there be a new chapter of Sumire 17-Sai! after all this time? I guess someone finally got back to translating the rest of the manga.

AW YEAH!

I miss you Sumire, is good to having you back :unsmith:

So, this happened before or after the end of Sumire 16?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

AW YEAH!

I miss you Sumire, is good to having you back :unsmith:

So, this happened before or after the end of Sumire 16?

Sumire-17 was drawn by the author before Sumire-16, so it's a prequel, of sorts, even though the events and characters in Sumire-17 take place after the events in Sumire-16. The characters in Sumire-17 make a cameo appearance in the final chapter of Sumire-16.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Kaja Rainbow posted:

That interesting reverse racism comment... it's essentially based upon the perception that everyone should get equal aid, but in truth some people just need more help than others to bring them closer to the same standard of living. Merpeople're severely disadvantaged in environments not specially tailored for them, so it makes sense the ones that want to coexist in the same environment as the other races'd get a lot of attention in terms of aid.

This is something I have kind of a personal perceptive on, with my deafness. Though there're people who would need considerably more assistance than me--people who're almost completely paralyzed for one.

There're also groups of people plagued with socioeconomic issues, but that's a hotly debated issue all by itself. This centaur schoolgirl manga does seem to be kind of making a commentary on that, though.

Exactly. I'm actually impressed how this manga has been tackling those issues. Then there was that chapter that devoted to early European racism and contrasted with the Europeans of the modern age looking down at societies with racism issue as if they were better. A lot of the social commentary is actually quite biting

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Just binged through Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha, which is super :3: but also deals with a bunch of more seinen themes.

A girl gets godly powers and has to deal with how that affects her life and those around her.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I hope you are prepared for the strongest girl of all in Zai x 10.

Ya got punk'd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

That is just mean

• Locked thread