Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

zVxTeflon posted:

Someone somewhere said that about American Horror Story, look how well that worked out.

Yes, and? If you like camp, it worked out well for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I guess it did if you like camp above all other things like good writing and characters.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's unimaginable that anyone would dare introduce camp and 70s mustaches into serious modern zombie literature.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

zVxTeflon posted:

I guess it did if you like camp above all other things like good writing and characters.

I don't think anyone in this thread is expecting good writing or characters.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Hobo Camp posted:

Daryl is seriously the worst character and I can't wait for his death. Even Merle was more interesting and was played by a better actor.

The writers have completely ruined some of the most badass comic book characters (Tyreese, Andrea) just to favor the Daryl fanbase. In fact, Tyreese and Andrea were Rick's #1 and #2 for the duration of the prison arc. Andrea is still his #1. Both characters were turned to poo poo because the writers are hell bent on shoving Daryl down our throats and make him some sort of loving savior.

I have no hope for Abraham. They'll probably ruin his character (just like they did Tyreese and Andrea) to make Daryl look better.

I generally agree with this, especially lamenting the fact that Andrea and Tyreese's characters were hosed over pretty hard and it's a shame. And considering that Daryl pretty much is the show version of comic Andrea in nearly every way save gender and using a crossbow instead of a rifle, it's hard to argue the other point as well. However I think a big part of the problem, wasn't just Daryl, it was also that the writers were just not comfortable writing black or female characters. I made this point earlier in the thread, but if you look at just the first two seasons the treatment of the black and female characters is so loving obnoxious you almost believe it's meant to be a parody. And then there's Michonne in season 3. I still remember goons live posting "USE YOUR WORDS!!" every time she was on screen. Apparently intersectionality makes you a mute.

Say what you will about the writing in the comics, it certainly deserves a lot of the ridicule, but the portrayal of black and female characters in the comics is literally loving LIGHT YEARS ahead of the show. Compared to comic Andrea, show Andrea was an absolute loving travesty.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Feb 18, 2014

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

Hahah ok man.

It's not me that's saying it. Right there in the rules thread;

quote:

SPOILER RULES: Are you talking about something that's already aired in an episode on the East Coast? Then you don't need spoiler tags. Are you talking about something that you only saw in a preview, or a commercial, or or due to a leaked ANYTHING? Then you need spoiler tags.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Jamesman posted:

It's not me that's saying it. Right there in the rules thread;

Don't overlook the common sense aspect. We aren't talking a preview you saw at an advance sneak peak of superman vs batman at your regional movie theatre, we're talking about a preview that aired literally seconds after the show ended, was there a commercial break? Instead of getting into a pissing contest, why don't we just move on and focus on that beautiful handlebar moustache.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Someone said that it was OK to talk openly about what was in the preview, and I just tried to explain to them that they were mistaken. No pissing involved.

I'm pretty sure the intention of the spoiler rule hasn't changed, but if you think it has, feel free to contact a mod for clarification.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

-Blackadder- posted:

I generally agree with this, especially lamenting the fact that Andrea and Tyrese's characters were hosed over pretty hard and it's a shame. But I think a big part of the problem, wasn't just Daryl, it was also that the writers were just not comfortable writing black or female characters. I made this point earlier in the thread, but if you look at just the first two seasons the treatment of the black and female characters is so loving obnoxious you almost believe it's meant to be a parody. And then there's Michonne in season 3. I still remember goons live posting "USE YOUR WORDS!!" every time she was on screen. Apparently intersectionality makes you a mute.

Say what you will about the writing in the comics, it certainly deserves a lot of the ridicule, but the portrayal of black and female characters in the comics is literally loving LIGHT YEARS ahead of the show. Compared to comic Andrea, show Andrea was an absolute loving travesty.

I think that by keeping some characters around, other characters got less development. Early Comic spoilers Shane was kept around in the show much longer than in the comics to the detriment of both Tyreese and Andrea. And, certainly, Darryl's addition doesn't help. Time that was devoted to him could have gone to them. He had an entire episode devoted to him when that could have been about Tyreese or Andrea (if they hadn't already hosed up her character).

To me Darryl seems like a Mary Sue. He's too perfect. He's the stereotypical dark and mysterious character that barely says a few words and is right all of the time. He's boring to me.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Daryl was at his best when Merle was around, I get why they killed him off but it also killed off the most interesting situation Daryl's had.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Surlaw posted:

Daryl was at his best when Merle was around, I get why they killed him off but it also killed off the most interesting situation Daryl's had.

I wanna see Darryl get some post-apocalyptic booty though :colbert:

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I remember them talking more than once in the last few episodes about how they had a rendezvous point set up if they ever had to evacuate the prison. Am I imagining that? I swear I heard it more than once. Especially the people on the bus, they were supposed to go somewhere specific.

Jamesman posted:

Someone said that it was OK to talk openly about what was in the preview, and I just tried to explain to them that they were mistaken. No pissing involved.

I'm pretty sure the intention of the spoiler rule hasn't changed, but if you think it has, feel free to contact a mod for clarification.

If you are referring to me, I've asked before, character names aren't spoilers. This came up during the end of season 2 when Michonne showed up. Upcoming guest stars aren't spoilers either unless it ruins something about the episode. Like Doakes showing back up in Dexter for a flashback or something. Anything else from the previews are spoilers though.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Daryl's character is so one-dimensional, there's only so much they can do with him. How many times has an arrow saved someone? How many times have we seen him struggle to safely aim a shot, then decide to drop the crossbow to brawl with a zombie? How many times can he reluctantly help someone?

We get it. He's an angel in disguise. He has a rough exterior but a heart of gold. He's a kind of lovely, over the top character who needs to show up every once in a while, or better yet die.

With his brother dead, there's no inner struggle. He never gives up, never makes mistakes, has no regrets, never changes, never fails, has no aspirations, is never vulnerable. He simply doesn't fit into tWD universe, where everyone else is fighting their human nature as much as they are fighting for survival.

If they won't kill him, then he needs to get drunk and beat up a kid, or lose his cool and betray the team, or anything that makes him flawed and less of a sad example of obvious fan service. He might as well be a Corgi with a red bandana

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
TV Andrea wasn't ruined by the inclusion of Daryl or by Shane sticking around for longer, she was just a bad character who had none of the likable traits Comic Book Andrea displays. Laurie Holden's portrayal really didn't help either, neither did the bizarre relationship with the governor that just made her appear as downright stupid and incredibly obtuse.

In the comic books Andrea is competent, resolute and focused on the survival of the group, in the TV show Andrea was incompetent, indecisive and preoccupied with herself. Just not the same character really.

Tyreese was 'ruined' (I think he's not a bad character on the TV show but I agree that his arc in the comic books was more engaging) by how poorly the entire Rick/Woodbury arc was handled, It's true that it might have been difficult to fit both Tyreese's original role and Daryl in the original arc but the way things were handled it was just such a mess that you really can't fault the existance of Daryl for Tyreese losing a lot of his depth.

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN

Haggis Heed posted:

Officer John loving Cooper. I yelped

I can't wait.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
So did the other kids on the bus get eaten up by the walker escapees? Namely that pasty boy with curly hair.

I certainly loved seeing thee cast much more than Carl's teenage adventures. But I worry that Beth is going to meet up with Maggie and decide to suicide (please don't, I like Beth). Maggie of course will be brought to breaking point, but Glenn will suddenly reappear.

The Girls+Tyreese section were fantastic to watch. Between little crazy girl, scared girl and screaming baby, they were a disaster waiting to happen. Glad to see Carol back too

Bob also seemed far too chipper. Is he on drugs?

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Andrew_1985 posted:

Well, the bottle of booze Glen used as a molotov was less than half full.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

I just finished S3 since that's all that's on Netflix at the moment. I'm enjoying it even if it is somewhat stressful to watch at times, and I get a little eye-rolly at the constant motivational/dramatic speeches the characters just whip out of their asses, but aside from that it's been a lot of fun. The Governor just annoys me though, with his ridiculous bad guy eye patch -- There's like tons of people with guns around who know he's dangerous, just plug him in the head and be done with it, jesus.

I miss Dale.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

sleepingbuddha posted:

I was thinking the same. Did she forget how to do it during the break?

Between that and the ridiculous zombie-sneak up on Tyrese and his girls I could barely maintain interest.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Baldbeard posted:

Daryl's character is so one-dimensional, there's only so much they can do with him. How many times has an arrow saved someone? How many times have we seen him struggle to safely aim a shot, then decide to drop the crossbow to brawl with a zombie? How many times can he reluctantly help someone?

We get it. He's an angel in disguise. He has a rough exterior but a heart of gold. He's a kind of lovely, over the top character who needs to show up every once in a while, or better yet die.

With his brother dead, there's no inner struggle. He never gives up, never makes mistakes, has no regrets, never changes, never fails, has no aspirations, is never vulnerable. He simply doesn't fit into tWD universe, where everyone else is fighting their human nature as much as they are fighting for survival.

If they won't kill him, then he needs to get drunk and beat up a kid, or lose his cool and betray the team, or anything that makes him flawed and less of a sad example of obvious fan service. He might as well be a Corgi with a red bandana

There's pretty clearly going to be a lot of drama after the whole Rick-Carol thing, especially if all of them meet up at Terminus.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

So Lizzie is a psycho but she hasn't actually used her psycho-ness to kill zombies right? I think she's only killed living things...

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

-Blackadder- posted:

I generally agree with this, especially lamenting the fact that Andrea and Tyreese's characters were hosed over pretty hard and it's a shame. And considering that Daryl pretty much is the show version of comic Andrea in nearly every way save gender and using a crossbow instead of a rifle, it's hard to argue the other point as well. However I think a big part of the problem, wasn't just Daryl, it was also that the writers were just not comfortable writing black or female characters. I made this point earlier in the thread, but if you look at just the first two seasons the treatment of the black and female characters is so loving obnoxious you almost believe it's meant to be a parody. And then there's Michonne in season 3. I still remember goons live posting "USE YOUR WORDS!!" every time she was on screen. Apparently intersectionality makes you a mute.

This. The entire season spent at Hershel's farm was a clinic on how to write terrible women. There's literally a scene where the women go to the kitchen to fix food while the men debate the proper course of action. It's bizarre.

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I liked Andrea when she was calling Lori out on her bullshit.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Surlaw posted:

I still hold that the perfect time to kill Daryl if they were going to was when Merle was trying to redeem himself: Literally swapping Dixons in the crew.

I liked the idea of an rear end in a top hat that was could barely be tolerated but came under control enough not to be a serious threat to his own people in the group rather than someone than keeping the person who gets along great with everybody more or less. It'd really shaken things up considerably.

That said I'm still pissed Daryl hasn't so much as gotten a single line about Merle since his death, not even to get pissed at the Governor despite the fact he has far more reason to have had a grudge with the guy than Rick.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Tyreese was 'ruined' (I think he's not a bad character on the TV show but I agree that his arc in the comic books was more engaging) by how poorly the entire Rick/Woodbury arc was handled, It's true that it might have been difficult to fit both Tyreese's original role and Daryl in the original arc but the way things were handled it was just such a mess that you really can't fault the existance of Daryl for Tyreese losing a lot of his depth.

I like Tyreese best here when he's being a huge pussy that can occasionally get so fed up he goes berserker rage and I wish they'd expand on that, if it was even intentional. i.e. the way he hates killing walkers on fence duty, was about to snap in a fit of depression, how his contribution to the gun fight was "let the little kids save me," and how he tries to avoid going on salvage runs.

In other words I like the idea of a really big, physically imposing character that hates to fight.

Andrew_1985 posted:

"The good news is I kicked my alcohol addiction! The bad news is I'm now hooked on heroin, and used all our salvaged needles. Oops."

EDIT: Actually in all seriousness it would be hilarious to find a group of survivors growing weed - one drug they could easily make in the apocalypse - as a homebrew pain reliever, because it's not like I'd want to try year-expired pain killers for things like, say, pulling teeth.

Speaking of which, did anyone else laugh their rear end off at how much Carl is undoubtedly going to have the worst shits ever after eating an undoubtedly massively expired vat of chocolate pudding? As someone who got sick on far, far less pudding that was barely expired, I was kind of cringing at that thought. Good thing nothing seems to expire in the WD universe.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

TV Andrea wasn't ruined by the inclusion of Daryl or by Shane sticking around for longer, she was just a bad character who had none of the likable traits Comic Book Andrea displays. Laurie Holden's portrayal really didn't help either, neither did the bizarre relationship with the governor that just made her appear as downright stupid and incredibly obtuse.

In the comic books Andrea is competent, resolute and focused on the survival of the group, in the TV show Andrea was incompetent, indecisive and preoccupied with herself. Just not the same character really.

To be fair I don't think Holden could have done anything else with the role. When you're asked to step into a totally illogical character, it's hard to really do much with it unless you go for broke and chew through all the scenery.

Not quite as badly written as the Governor though. I'm still annoyed they wasted time on a redemption plot only to abruptly drop it and go "Eh, gently caress it." His return would have been vastly more compelling if he got dragged into the attack and really forced to participate in some way, rather than just going "Oh wait, I remember now, I'm supposed to be evil. Woops. EVIL!"

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 18, 2014

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

foxatee posted:

Also, wooo! Abraham!

I want to go back through the rest of the walking dead threads and find all the "Woo! Andrea!", "Yeah! The Governor", "Alright! Woodbury!", "Sweet, the prison!" posts.

Just caught the latest two episodes and boy they sure were a couple new episodes of the walking dead. The first one was mostly just horseshit but the second improved somewhat. I'm still just amazed at how this show is put together in such a lazy, haphazard way.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'd be surprised if anyone was excited about the governor. He was probably the low-water mark of the comics.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Tim Jong-un posted:

Yeah, as bad as Andrea got in season 3, Lori's annoying regressiveness was the worst.

moths posted:

I'd be surprised if anyone was excited about the governor. He was probably the low-water mark of the comics.
No, the low-water mark was every Governor redux Kirkman has done since then.

He was still really bad though.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Andrew_1985 posted:

The Girls+Tyreese section were fantastic to watch. Between little crazy girl, scared girl and screaming baby, they were a disaster waiting to happen. Glad to see Carol back too

So is the consensus now that the sister was one who burned the bodies? I don't think it's an accident Carol ended up re-uniting with that group. The Carol\Tyrese showdown is now looming, when Carol fess up to falsely accepting blame to protect the girls.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I don't personally care about spoilers and stuff, but if you think about it, assigning import to people's names tells people who haven't read the source material whether those particular characters would be important or throwaways. That's what a lot of people don't consider when they're like "WOOOO TYRESE!!!!" You're basically telling them "these characters will live through whatever dangerous situations they'll be in, in the next few episodes."

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

xxEightxx posted:

So is the consensus now that the sister was one who burned the bodies?

No, not at all

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I like how Lizzy's attempted murder of the baby summoned Carol to appear like some bloodthirsty avatar of the murder god. The baby is probably tainted by evil now or some sort of golem container of Carol's malice.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 18, 2014

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online
we still don't know who was feeding the rats or dissecting rabbits or whats in bobs box

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Naet posted:

This. The entire season spent at Hershel's farm was a clinic on how to write terrible women. There's literally a scene where the women go to the kitchen to fix food while the men debate the proper course of action. It's bizarre.

Remember when Lori is telling Andrea "The men don't you need you. They can handle this on their own. You're selfish for not helping us cook, clean, and do laundry." That was the worst.

I'm doing a rewatch this week and I'm finding Andrea much more likable now than I did the first time around and finding Lori a lot more unlikable.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Tim Jong-un posted:

The sole good thing Andrea did all series. God, I hated her and Lori so much.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

euphronius posted:

I like how Lizzy's attempted murder of the baby summoned Carol to appear like some bloodthirsty avatar of the murder god. The baby is probably tainted by evil now or some sort of golem container of Carol's malice.

:argh:YOU TAKE THAT BACK!:argh:

Carol's return was a bit of a letdown....maybe she learned teleporting!

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Remember when Lori is telling Andrea "The men don't you need you. They can handle this on their own. You're selfish for not helping us cook, clean, and do laundry." That was the worst.

I'm doing a rewatch this week and I'm finding Andrea much more likable now than I did the first time around and finding Lori a lot more unlikable.

No, when she drove down the road with a map open in front of her face was the worst, like she was on a sitcom in the 1980s.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Tim Jong-un posted:

The problem is that nothing ever came of it. Like always, it was just the writers thinking "Hey wouldn't it be cool if..." without actually considering the consequences or how it affects the characters. They threw that moment in there so the audience can go "gently caress yeah, Andrea!" and then promptly made her hilariously ignorant/naive during the entire Governor arc while Lori kept being the worst mom on the planet.

rypakal posted:

No, when she drove down the road with a map open in front of her face was the worst, like she was on a sitcom in the 1980s.

Don't forget the part where she whispers in Rick's ear about how Shane is a threat and he needs to deal with him, then throws a fit when she finds out that Rick killed him in self-defense. Cause who cares about thematic consistency, let's just write scenes and have them play out however we want and think is cool!

VDay fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 18, 2014

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Super Ninja Fish posted:

To be fair, considering how incompetent and bad of a shot she was, Lori was probably right!

Lori with the map was just hilariously bad

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Svanja posted:

:argh:YOU TAKE THAT BACK!:argh:

Carol's return was a bit of a letdown....maybe she learned teleporting!

No reason that power should be limited to the zombies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ovenmaster
Feb 22, 2006
I am the master of ovens for some reason.

Darko posted:

I don't personally care about spoilers and stuff, but if you think about it, assigning import to people's names tells people who haven't read the source material whether those particular characters would be important or throwaways. That's what a lot of people don't consider when they're like "WOOOO TYRESE!!!!" You're basically telling them "these characters will live through whatever dangerous situations they'll be in, in the next few episodes."

To be fair though in this particular case they couldn't telegraph harder that 'THESE PEOPLE ARE IMPORTANT' the way they all get out and pose for a group shot.

• Locked thread