Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

sitchelin posted:

You might ask, how is this developer grief? Well, prior to the release of World of Warcraft's first expansion, Burning Crusade, Blizzard (the developer) made a carbon-copy of Lord Kazzak called Highlord Kruul. Highlord Krull was identical to Kazzak in every single way, except for one thing: Blizzard unleashed this crazy bastard on certain leveling areas, in addition to the Capital Cities for both factions, Horde and Alliance. These Capital Cities were hubs for players of all levels to buy/sell stuff, work on professions etc. So you've got an extremely dangerous boss capable of turning anyone it sees into a living bomb, while sending out an enormous volley of shadowbolts that ignore line-of-sight. This rampaging monstrosity was mowing down fields of lower-level players, and being healed to full each time he did it. Even the endless swarms of guard-NPCs couldn't dent his health. Each time he loosed a volley everyone under maximum level dropped like flies, which upped their repair bills on damaged equipment. Players were being slaughtered in their economic hub on a daily basis, losing money, and there was nothing they could do about it until they corpse-hopped a safe distance away from the boss. Players were pretty much forced to congregate in remote, backwater capital cities miles away from anything relevant until the event ended.
You're missing the best part of this grief. Kruul was a copycat of/tribute to when a guild of regular players kited the real Kazzak to Stormwind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl0VWJdE01M
Ended up with a server reset and bannings for all involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

There was also another glitch involving mobs from the Blasted Lands in WoW. Before the Cataclysm expansion, there was this long quest-chain that took you all over the world to forge a weapon to defeat the head honcho demon (not Kazzak). One of the earliest quests involved damaging cursed people until they spawned a rock that you had to click on to kill them; if you didn't, they were completely and utterly immortal. To add to the fun of this, said rock was clickable ONLY if you were on that quest.

Some bright minds took a cue from the Kazzak hijinks, and would kite one or more of them all the way over to Stormwind. From there, it was just a matter of waiting for some idiot wondering what was up with this mob that did not seem to die no matter what was done, and, well...

Oddly enough, it actually did have an unintended positive: since they were immortal and did such utterly pitiful damage to high-leveled players, they actually were relatively good for safely leveling up weapon skills for weapons you'd never used before. For reference, you'd do poo poo damage and have an incredibly higher chance to miss with attacks if you were using a weapon type you'd never swung around before; Blizzard thankfully wised up and removed weapon skills in Cata.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009
Incidentally, one of the only reasons to level up your weapon skills as a spellcaster were the Mana Feeders. They're completely immune to magic, so about half of any raid group clearing their way through Karazhan had to twiddle their thumbs when they ran into them. Or go level up their weapon skills with those immortal enemies just that they could do almost-insignificant damage with melee hits.

The things we did to ourselves.. :smithicide:

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Star Trek Online griefing had dried up a little lately, as we drove all the uberspergs out of the most popular easily accessible crossfaction hub, Drozana Station. They've slowly begun trickling back in though, and we've been tracking down their new lairs. Generally they'll be involved in super serious and dramatic roleplay (read: standing around chatting about how cool they are). Then Starfleet Dental and Nerds of Prey arrive and liven up the place a bit with discoballs (anyone within range will start dancing) and party poppers (spams various effects, makes noise) and ice grenades (throw at target, watch cloud of ice appear with explosion and then frost "tinkling" noise) and various outrageous costumes that seem to infuriate people. For some reason people don't appreciate our improving their party, and after insulting us they'll generally leave.

Now they've discovered a way to fight back.

After spotting some pubbies actually back on Drozana, a large group of goons in their new burqas and terrorist outfits turned up and added to the party atmosphere with the usual toys. Then a couple of pubbies left for five minutes, before returning and blowing up, knocking people away and covering them in plasma fire. Turns out our parties had enraged these people so much they'd figured out how to bring a small spider robot that will jump on you and then explode out of a PVE queue and into social zones. It takes timing and practice, but they figured it out and started suicide bombing us.

We could not be happier. We've gone from crashing parties with minor noise and particle effects and some dancing, to having pubbies potentially kill participants. This is absolutely beautiful and we're completely innocent of any wrongdoing, whereas if the GMs start responding to this blatant bug abuse, bye bye pubbies. :allears:

The screenshots are of a guy and his wife (who suspiciously never moves or talks while he is, and vice versa) attempted to bomb us. We saw them leave, saw which map they were on, and moved out of the way. They came back eventually and exploded, and we laughed at them for missing us completely before running back in and restarting the party. They ran away to their private starbase.

Wren610
Oct 25, 2010
Ok the EQ post a page back took me down memory lane.The sneak skill is what you used to give mobs weapons in EQ zones often had mobs that wandered around and where higher level than players in zone, so one of my hobbies was to get cheap magical weapons that proced(casted effect)stun,root,blindness etc gnoll hide lariats where great for this give them to sand giants,sgt slate,or any other roamer and when they aggroed players they had a decent chance of disableing them so they couldn't run and killing them. Another grief was the north freeport bank, in the bank there is a door that leads to an empty room the door could only be opened by lockpicking skill of 200 there is no key for this door.So I would leave a trail of coins to the door and some coins inside turn invisable and open and close the door. A new player follows the trail picking up the coins and when he goes into the vault I lock him in if he's a caster he can gate out if he's a melee or hybrid he's screwed. I did this often enough that if I was tagged anonymous in north freeport regular players would yell at me to stop locking newbs in the bank even if I wasn't doing it.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
Another great thing is that in EQ hit detection was turned on for character models. Cue players rolling level 1 Ogres (largest character model in the game) and taking naps in doorways to places like the bank.

Or a group of them forming a line and blocking access in the Commons tunnels.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Splicer posted:

You're missing the best part of this grief. Kruul was a copycat of/tribute to when a guild of regular players kited the real Kazzak to Stormwind.

Reminds me of something my friends did once, pulled Omen (another high end unleashed boss mob) to Orgrimmar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82lZ-XyoY-k

Another amusing thing to do was use the hard-packed snowballs that they had for a winter event one year in PvP. It knocked your target back a fairly large distance, and worked on allies as well as enemies. Needless to say, it made people a touch frustrated when you launched them off of a high bridge that led to a capture point, likely killing them with fall damage and forcing them to try to get past you again if they wanted to help actually capture/defend the location.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zorlzgj_AdI

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I play the Harry Potter Lego game with my six year old brother when I end up looking after him and all was going well until we got a spell that suspends someone in the air in a blue ball for around ten seconds. There's really nothing stopping you from spamming this at your co-op partner who's stuck floating uselessly in the air while you giggle manically. My little brother finds endless joy in doing this to me and annoyingly he's a much better shot than I am so I find myself getting griefed to high heaven. We are never getting to the end of this game.

It's good to know that our future generations will continue this noble tradition of making people mad at video games.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
EQ was wonderfully awful. I actually played just a few years ago on the free Test server, mostly, and enjoyed it for a while, but inevitably it was EQ. I had missed out on a load of content over the years that nobody did, and I had my most fun doing 2.0 epics and exploring Kunark, Velious, and the base game.

I was actually on my bard in Skykshrine when the Sleeper was awoken, and drat it I cannot find the screenshots. He went rampaging through that zone killing everything, and he hit me twice for about 8000 damage - I never would have survived if not for bard speed.

May or may not be a grief, but I remember some drama surrounding the cleric resurrection wand (epic 1.0) and Ragefire the dragon. The cleric epic was, like the class, totally necessary. The quest wasn't too bad apart from one bottleneck, the aforementioned dragon. I wasn't on the server Rodcet Nife but I had RL friends who were, and some Vietnamese guild (not being racist, they literally only allowed Vietnamese players in) blatantly did something to sabotage a guild that was fighting Ragefire so that they would wipe and this guild could kill him for the epic quest. I can't remember the details through the mists of time, but the whole guild was blanket permabanned and they reset the encounter for the guild that was victimised.

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to

Regalingualius posted:

Before the Cataclysm expansion, there was this long quest-chain that took you all over the world ...

Speaking of pre-Cataclysm quest chains, The Scepter of the Shifting Sands was a massive line that involved multiple instances, raids, world bosses, and ran parallel to server-wide cross-faction resource donation efforts. Finishing both halves on a server opened the then-new raid of Ahn'Qiraj. After the one-time server collection event ended the associated quest line remained in the game until the map was changed in Cataclysm.

One of the bosses was a satyr named The Twilight Corruptor. He liked to DoT, shred stats, and mind control. At the time I fought him he was soloable by certain classes but I was having a hard time of it. So I recruited a few people (which actually makes the mind control aspect worse, but whaddaya gonna do) and finally took him down after racking up repair bills for some of the party. It seems the people I hired were expecting loot of some kind but apparently they didn't realize the boss' only drop was a single quest item. The quest line was a pretty big deal three years prior so I don't know where their excuses were coming from. In fact our escapades showed them that the boss was even there in the first place and such great knowledge is really its own reward.

The end of that branch involved fighting a dragon, Eranikus, and cleansing him from corruption. He required summoning in order to appear in Moonglade, a low traffic area. Upon starting the quest Eranikus would appear in the zone's single town and start going crazy on anyone there. The dragon itself wasn't all that big a deal but he also summoned a few dozen shadow minions to fight whatever they could find. The first time I tried the fight I died and realized that I didn't need to re-farm the items needed to start the quest. So I fought him again, won, and then quit the quest before I turned it in. This way I could resummon the dragon as many times as I wanted to.

I should point out something important about Moonglade, the zone you summon this dragon into. It's a small area meant for training druids for an hour before they go somewhere else and was otherwise a rather pretty but ignored zone. Unless you were a druid it was rather difficult to get to unless you were really committed to corpse dragging your way to a zone that had nothing to offer a non-druid. Except during the Chinese New Year events where it was a main hub for holiday purchases and the flight path was opened for toons of all levels to visit.

So naturally I started summoning the dragon every day to show players the wonders of outdated content. Lower level characters were effectively sentenced to death for the duration of the event as the shadow minions could lock on from a large aggro range due to the level discrepancy. Despite being level 60 content even a capped toon could easily die if they were caught off guard. And it was amazing how many people didn't know what was going on! The confused yelling in chat showed me that these people really needed a history lesson about the game and I'm happy I was able to provide.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Splicer posted:

So they banned players for kiting a boss to get people killed, then later actually created a boss that did the exact same thing? Blizzard are expert griefers.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I think the one Blizzard created was right outside the major city, not inside it. And was probably leashed so he couldn't be kited.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

RatHat posted:

I think the one Blizzard created was right outside the major city, not inside it. And was probably leashed so he couldn't be kited.

It was right outside the city. Id post my video but I am ashamed of it really.

The AQ event was really cool though and I wish Blizzard did it again. I played during that time and it was amazingly fun.

The event itself was crazy. 200 plus people packed into an area that has PVP enabled and is full of high leveled monsters. This was also during the time where the fastest mounts cost hundreds of gold (which was no small feat to obtain) and having one meant you were about 40% faster than most of everyone.

To add even more to everything, the lag was so loving bad that disconnects were common. You could see who disconnected in game if they were running in place or something like that.

My friend took it upon himself to cause as many problems to players as he could during this time. He would wander the zone looking for horde or alliance casters or equivalent spamming AoE moves on single targets.

Using his super fast mount, he would go gather a bunch of these goddamn scarabs and go back to the person spamming AoE spells. Since there wasnt any type of leash implemented at that time, a crowd of people trying to take advantage of the higher drop rates and abundance of mobs soon found themselves overwhelmed by lots scarabs by a warrior quickly jumping around on his mount called Pogo.

The aggro system was pretty hosed too, and if I recall, just being in the same party meant you would pick up aggro if and when the person who took the bait got killed.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I just remembered another WoW grief. When Burning Crusade went live, Hunters received a skill called Misdirect. How it worked was you targeted an ally, and when you shot an enemy, the monster would chase after your ally instead. It was a good skill for gluing the scary poo poo to your beefiest meat-shield sooner. This worked on anyone as long as they were in your party.

There are a million factions run by NPCs in this game which offer reputation grinds for certain rewards. Most of them begin as neutral, and as long as you stay neutral, you can flag that faction as hostile and freely kill the NPCs at a penalty of losing reputation. Neutral NPCs never throw the first punch, and have no aggro radius. One faction in particular was called the Cenarion Circle, which all players initially started as Neutral with, and they had high level "emissary" NPCs to decorate the main cities. WoW, being an MMO, is always going to be littered with new players begging for handouts, which is dumb because you have to have been hit by a truck as an infant to not make good money in this game; it spoonfeeds you all the currency you'll ever need. I would often pretend to agree to give such lowbies a handout, and ask them to meet me by the Cenarion Circle NPC, which I've flagged as hostile. I'd Misdirect the low level player, shoot the NPC, and watch a high-leveled NPC absolutely cream the guy in my party. Flagging Cenarion Circle as hostile got patched out fairly quickly when this caught on.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Gotta Wear Shades posted:

Speaking of pre-Cataclysm quest chains, The Scepter of the Shifting Sands was a massive line that involved multiple instances, raids, world bosses, and ran parallel to server-wide cross-faction resource donation efforts. Finishing both halves on a server opened the then-new raid of Ahn'Qiraj. After the one-time server collection event ended the associated quest line remained in the game until the map was changed in Cataclysm.

I'm sure another goon has the long version, but my favorite Gates of AQ related grief was the one where a Tauren player was working on the scepter for months and months and it was all very serious business and then a goon transferred over to his server and stole the scepter right out from under him at the last minute. I recall the dude basically being inconsolable and posting on the official forums about it, furious.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Well, to give a brief version of it... In addition to all of the prestige from the playerbase you'd get for being the one to unlock AQ, there was also an actually tangible reward: the Black Qiraji Resonating Crystal, AKA one of the rarest mounts in the game even to this day. Said rarity is solely because, once the gate was opened, there was only a half-day window (in an event that took weeks and months to get to that point) in which anyone who had completed the Scepter could turn in the quest to receive the mount. If some upstart happened to turn it in while the server favorite was indisposed (I.E. working their job), well... There's at least one story of a guy getting notified by guildies, and leaving work early to get back in time.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

After reading this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3550928

and most especially these I-can't-quite-believe-this-actually-exists ultra-autists: http://www.vatsim.net/index.php?id=start

I really want to grief the gently caress out of them. HORDES OF 747'S CRASHING AND EXPLODING EVERYWHERE

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Clamps McGraw posted:

After reading this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3550928

and most especially these I-can't-quite-believe-this-actually-exists ultra-autists: http://www.vatsim.net/index.php?id=start

I really want to grief the gently caress out of them. HORDES OF 747'S CRASHING AND EXPLODING EVERYWHERE

"Vatsim is real life air traffic controllers for your FSX. Vatsim is real life air traffic controllers for your FSX. Yeah, you heard me, real loving life people train to become virtual ATC Controllers and then spend their evening routing people around Cleveland. This adds another level of immersion and is supposedly really awesome. The software is a plugin that you add to your FSX and you then register and account and do some other stuff, basically- think plugin, learn some poo poo, use your headset to feel just like a real pilot. and then spend their evening routing people around Cleveland. This adds another level of immersion and is supposedly really awesome. The software is a plugin that you add to your FSX and you then register and account and do some other stuff, basically- think plugin, learn some poo poo, use your headset to feel just like a real pilot."

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

All this WoWchat, one fun grief always has to be the waterwalking-cliffdiving grief.

In WoW there is no fall damage as long as you land in water. This allows people to leap off huge cliffs into the water as a shortcut, sometimes in a way mandated by the game. There is also an ability by the Death Knight to give your entire team waterwalking as long as they are close to you, which causes them to treat the water as solid ground.

So what do you do? Jump off the cliff before your mates and turn on the water walking as soon as you hit the water. Cue them all hitting the water and instantly dying with a bone-snapping crunch.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

"Vatsim is real life air traffic controllers for your FSX. Vatsim is real life air traffic controllers for your FSX. Yeah, you heard me, real loving life people train to become virtual ATC Controllers and then spend their evening routing people around Cleveland. This adds another level of immersion and is supposedly really awesome. The software is a plugin that you add to your FSX and you then register and account and do some other stuff, basically- think plugin, learn some poo poo, use your headset to feel just like a real pilot. and then spend their evening routing people around Cleveland. This adds another level of immersion and is supposedly really awesome. The software is a plugin that you add to your FSX and you then register and account and do some other stuff, basically- think plugin, learn some poo poo, use your headset to feel just like a real pilot."

I really think it might be worth it for the long con. Five/ten people put in the possibly weeks of sperging it takes to learn the bloody thing and get to a stage where you're accepted by talking to these spergs irl and then all at once OH GOD HOW DO I FLY THIS THING. Cause major crashes. Land upside down. Fly into the towers. Go the wrong way down the runway deliberately and stuff, causing huge piles of flaming wrecks and disasters worldwide.

I wonder what it is about me that I see something a lot of people are deeply passionate in a nerdy way about, I instinctively want to put in lots of time and effort to ruin it. I'm seriously not a jerk like this irl

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

All this WoWchat, one fun grief always has to be the waterwalking-cliffdiving grief.

In WoW there is no fall damage as long as you land in water. This allows people to leap off huge cliffs into the water as a shortcut, sometimes in a way mandated by the game. There is also an ability by the Death Knight to give your entire team waterwalking as long as they are close to you, which causes them to treat the water as solid ground.

So what do you do? Jump off the cliff before your mates and turn on the water walking as soon as you hit the water. Cue them all hitting the water and instantly dying with a bone-snapping crunch.

Easier to just pop the buff as everyone jumps and manually remove it from yourself in air. This ensures maximum carnage. Shamans can also do this though theirs is an individual buff.

My favorite light hearted grief as a hunter in BC was to use misdirection on my buddy in Karazhan. It was a game between us where I'd secretly try to pop misdirection without him noticing. Bonus was if I could get him with his vanish on cooldown. He'd cry out vanish was down while the tank and I laughed. Kara was probably the most fun I had with the game.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Or just look straight down, that turns off the water-walking effect so you can drop through fine yourself.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Zereth posted:

Or just look straight down, that turns off the water-walking effect so you can drop through fine yourself.

After you beat all but one of the bosses in the Trial of the Crusader raid, the floor is destroyed and everybody falls hundreds of yards into a pool of water. When this happens, anybody who didn't have the presence of mind to look straight down would crater on the surface of the pool thanks to some Death Knight casting Path of Frost. Every single time.

For some people, the Water Boss was the hardest boss in the instance.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

The water walking thing got me in trouble more often than not. Goons tolerate fuckery like that, my old guild did not.

We were a "progression guild" back in Vanilla on the server Anetheron. My friends were assholes and really didnt like our leader. But considering the group, reliability of everyone doin 40 man raids and the fact that we had BWL (a raid instance) on farm status, we didnt have a reason to leave.

I was a fury warrior which was a joke until you hit a hit and crit chance cap, which I did. My biggest problem was another warrior was a Mortal Strike warrior (uses 2h weapons compared to two 1h weapons) he then used his DKP (a stupid system awarding points for kills you can turn in for loot via bidding) to grief me by yoinking a great 1her I needed. He had the Hand of Rag which was a godawful grind to get and had no need for it.

My friends and I were pissed. So, the next time we ran the raid instance we decided that we would be idiots. I started fighting with a pick and blacksmith hammer which does a massive 1 damage per second and are really just tools use to farm minerals and stuff.

Despite the poo poo weapons, I still was out DPSing the guy that took the weapon. My friends were the tanks and halfway trhough one fight decided to sit down which, at the time, guaranteed a critical hit against you. Effectively killing the yanks and forcing the guy to handle the boss himself.

Another part of this was living bomb. Living bomb was a move that a boss did that exploded you and shot you up into the air. Along with anyone else around you. So naturally, we gathered around te guild leader and the warrior in question and made their lives a little more exciting.

It took the leader all raid long to figure out I wasnt using real weapons. We also eventually made a game of killing the leader as well as the warrior every raid until our inevitable disbanding about a month later when half the guild quit because the leader started to take equipment for himself and friends.

He tried to move on to bigger and better things but was eventually told to pound sand after he got into a bigger guild for raiding new content. He got to his first boss, was told to pull, and was kicked out leavin him mano y mano against a big nasty giant.

Not the best griefing by anymeans. I guess its more how I got griefed and decided to be passive aggressive about the whole situation.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Pope Guilty posted:

After you beat all but one of the bosses in the Trial of the Crusader raid, the floor is destroyed and everybody falls hundreds of yards into a pool of water. When this happens, anybody who didn't have the presence of mind to look straight down would crater on the surface of the pool thanks to some Death Knight casting Path of Frost. Every single time.

For some people, the Water Boss was the hardest boss in the instance.

Water Boss was a reason that people didn't bring many Goon Squad DKs to ToC. I joined some other GS members in a ToC25, and the raid leader said he would cancel the raid if anyone used Path of Frost. Event starts, everyone falls, 1/2 the raid dies from Water Boss, raid leader gets really upset and has a breakdown.

On a previous WoW thing with snowballs, the real with them is they weren't tied to a character when used, so there wasn't a way to know who threw them. So in a raid when a single player was running forward to aggro the boss, you'd often see a single snowball sail out and nail him. It wouldn't do any damage, but it would knock the player down and throw them off. If you were standing in a group, no one could tell who did it. Person would get upset, turn around to start boss again, now 2 snowballs would go out. Repeat until person either lost their poo poo and quit, or developed a sense of humor and rolled with it. Since it was WoW and many tanks were babies, option 1 was picked.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Regalingualius posted:

Well, to give a brief version of it... In addition to all of the prestige from the playerbase you'd get for being the one to unlock AQ, there was also an actually tangible reward: the Black Qiraji Resonating Crystal, AKA one of the rarest mounts in the game even to this day. Said rarity is solely because, once the gate was opened, there was only a half-day window (in an event that took weeks and months to get to that point) in which anyone who had completed the Scepter could turn in the quest to receive the mount. If some upstart happened to turn it in while the server favorite was indisposed (I.E. working their job), well... There's at least one story of a guy getting notified by guildies, and leaving work early to get back in time.

Yeah I remember there was a story where someone started the event at like 1 in the morning and it was over by the time most people logged on. I think the guy who did it ending up transferring servers because that made him hated on that server

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I remember playing a lovely diablo knockoff game called Sacred when I was younger, while doing the usual adventuring duties and looting every house in a town for spare gold online, I found a couple identical overpowered weapons in the attic someone was going to trade with themselves, I had no love for hackers but I wouldn't say no to two upgrades and he could just make more later.

I guess that counts as griefing the hacker but in the end I was the one griefed by the game, because afew days later I used the throw weapon skill and one of the axes permanently turned into a mummy and walked away.

Fenom
Mar 23, 2007
I don't have too many griefing stories but one of my favorites is from WoW. A few years ago around AQ40 days a friend and I were doing Alterac Valley (a PvP instance) around Christmas time. It was one of the first years they put in the snowballs. The funny thing about these snowballs was that they had(have?) a knockback effect which is pretty funny in itself as someone told in a previous post. But this was when someone could queue into an AV and just go AFK at the zone in and still receive credit for the win/losses. My friend and I figured out that these snowballs could be used to knock these players all the way to the portal out of the instance. We spent the next week or 2 just zoning into AV and knocking people out of the instance. Everyday the number of people just knocking AFK'ers out with snowballs grew until by the end of the Holiday season there was about 10-15 people just doing that. We would also use the snowballs to knock players who were avoiding direct conflict right into the mass of enemies assuring their deaths or casting a snowfall on a few people and jump from the tops of hills doing bombing runs on enemies and ally's as we float past. Unfortunately by the next winter season they had changed the way these snowballs worked so I don't think you can do this anymore.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
So Gunz 2 just came out in the states. Servers are packed and it takes quite a while to get into the game. Some enterprising individual decided it would be hilarious to make a bot that joins games and clicks the ready button, then unclicks it as soon as the matchmaker locks the game in. If a player decides to not click the ready button once the game is locked in there is no timer that eventually kicks them out. Therefor every other player must completely exit out of the client as there is no way to quit from a locked in match. Each person who got caught in the match must then spend another 10-15 minutes trying to get back into the nearly-full servers to play again.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

RatHat posted:

Yeah I remember there was a story where someone started the event at like 1 in the morning and it was over by the time most people logged on. I think the guy who did it ending up transferring servers because that made him hated on that server

Something similar happened in the EU in my guild.
My top raiding guild decides to complete it, one guy within the guild logs in at midnight and completes it.
He then transfers to another server the next week to join a better raiding guild leaving NO ONE on the realm who completed it.
Then the Italian realms open years later, and half the raiding guild (and hundreds more across other realms) transferred over to get it on there. Then transferred back.
So the shithead back in 2006 cost a lot of people £50 to get a title and a mount.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Feb 20, 2014

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Speaking of WoW and Alterac Valley, there is/was (from what I recall) a drop down option you can click on people who are AFKing to mark them as AFK. If enough people mark someone as AFK, that person receives a debuff that times down over sixty seconds. If that debuff expires, they receive a second sixty-second debuff which prevents them from receiving any rewards. Either debuff can be cleared by fighting enemy players on the other team (NPCs are not sufficient). If that second debuff expires, they're booted from the game, receive a very long debuff that prevents them from queueing again (I believe it's four hours) and are flagged internally on Blizzard's end so that they'll get banned if they do it repeatedly.

It's not (or wasn't) possible to enter Alterac Valley or any battleground in an organised group. You could get a bunch of people to all try and join the same instance, but there was no official way to do it. There was a group of forty pre-organised people who all wanted to enter the same Alterac Valley so as to stomp the other team with their superior tactics or whatever, so all forty of them queued up at the same time to enter the same battleground instance.

Thirty-nine of them got in. The fortieth person who got in was not in their group.

In a ruthlessly organised fashion, the entire group of 39 people repeatedly reported this one fellow, applying the debuff to him whenever he wasn't engaged in PvP combat. Running to a fight? Debuff. Waiting to be revived? Debuff. Fighting an enemy who just moved out of range of your attacks? Debuff. The only way he could avoid being kicked out of the battleground was to respawn, hop on his mount and immediately throw himself into the entire enemy zerg so that the debuff would clear.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
I believe some goons have mentioned Wurm at some point?

So there's this...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/02/20/wurm_turns_ddosed_online_game_universe_offers_10000_bounty_for_the_hackers_head/

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

SS13 Stories are hilarious. Mainly because never having played the game, i can only imagine real people acting these crazythings out.

Ive been reading through the SS13 thread and found this

Lisonfire posted:

HELP: NeddySeagoon/(Neddy Seagoon): Donald Hammock's been driving us all insane in Chemistry with concealed farting all round. Permission to beat him to death?
HELP: NeddySeagoon/(Neddy Seagoon): He was hiding in the chemical cupboard and we had no clue where the hell all the farting was coming from
HELP: NeddySeagoon/(Neddy Seagoon): We spent half the round flashing and beating each other trying to work out who the culprit was

President Ark posted:

Is this you?

Weren't the same person, but the fact that someone hid for 30 minutes farting and driving people to fights is amazing.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Soulex posted:

SS13 Stories are hilarious.

Here's a simple one that gave me a lot of joy. Let's call it Don't give money to The Devil.

quote:

The Devil says, "Fire is the station's official currency."

It began with a simple gimmick. I'd been chosen as the Captain, so I decided to be genuinely helpful and absurdly irresponsible at the same time. I announced that I would stand at the job change console with a cheery bonfire behind me, and anyone who brought me something to burn in it would get an upgrade to their ID card's clearance based upon how valuable/funny the burned object was. Before too long, Jung Mi Young came along in his lawyer suit and started pestering me to desist in my fire-related corruption and extinguish the hazardous blaze. My flatulently dismissive reaction agitated him to the point that he began offering to bribe me.

Naturally, I burned the thousand bucks he gave me. So he decided to up the ante:

quote:

Jung Mi Young exclaims, "I give money to keep!"
Jung Mi Young exclaims, "No burn!"
Jung Mi Young exclaims, "And to stop buring fires!"
Without even breaking stride, The Devil flips open and lights the Zippo lighter in one smooth movement.
The Devil says, "SORRY I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER ALL THIS FIRE"
Jung Mi Young says, "I repeat."
Jung Mi Young exclaims, "I GIVE 50K TO STOP!"
The Devil throws Paper.
Paper catches on fire!
Paper catches on fire!
Jung Mi Young exclaims, "KEEP MONEY, NO BURN!"
Paper catches on fire!
Paper catches on fire!
Paper catches on fire!
The Devil says, "Okay, okay, deal."
The Devil says, "You found my price."
Jung Mi Young asks, "Promise?"
The Devil says, "I promise."
The Devil throws 25000 Credits.
The Devil throws 25000 Credits.
Jung Mi Young gasps.
25000 Credits catches on fire!
Sam Khan throws 1 Credit.
1 Credit catches on fire!
Jung Mi Young exclaims, "UNFUCKING BELIEVABLE!"
The Devil says, "Dude I'm LITERALLY SATAN"
The Devil farts like a muppet!
25000 Credits catches on fire!

Jung was frustrated, but undeterred. He swore to find my price and put an end to my diabolical plot of harmlessly burning things that people voluntarily gave to me. Minutes later, this happened:

quote:

Space Authority Update

Jackpot Winner

Congratulations to Jung Mi Young on winning the Jackpot of ONE MILLION CREDITS!

:stare:

quote:

The Devil [145.9] says, "Remember: bring something for me to add to my Satanic bonfire and I will give you any job you want."
Jung Mi Young says, "One"
Jung Mi Young says, "Million"
Jung Mi Young exclaims, "If and only if you end fire!"
Jung Mi Young says, "Think of use you can have."
The Devil says, "Hmmm."
Jung Mi Young says, "All things you can buy."
The Devil says, "Alright, alright, alright."
You hear a quiet click, as The Devil shuts off the Zippo lighter without even looking what they're doing. Wow.
You have added Zippo lighter to the backpack.
Jung Mi Young throws 1000000 Credits.
Hermann Gibbing has added the paper- 'MY SOUL' to the backpack!
Without even breaking stride, The Devil flips open and lights the Zippo lighter in one smooth movement.
Jung Mi Young says, "Glad you understand."
Jung Mi Young says, "You would not."
Jung Mi Young says, "No no"
The Devil asks, "WOULDN'T I?"
The Devil is a farting motherfucker!!!
1000000 Credits catches on fire!
1000000 Credits has been hit by The Devil with Zippo lighter
Jung Mi Young exclaims, "One million!"
The Devil throws Zippo lighter.
Jung Mi Young goes pale for a second.
Hermann Gibbing slurs, "Holy shhiff duaff ish a loff of gashh"
The Devil laughs.
The Devil farts like a goone!
The Devil says, "LET IT ALL BURN"

After that, I decided that there was no possible way to top burning over a million dollars of some guy's money, and I should go out on top by dying as I had lived: setting absolutely loving everything on fire. I ignited my jumpsuit with my trusty Zippo, but it was taking quite a while for me to die, so I stood in the bonfire while politely informing the crew of my intentions. Most of them were very understanding about it, but sure enough, Jung came back to demand that I stop, drop, and roll. It seemed appropriate that he be there to watch me perish. I answered his urgent demands with one last, contemptuous fart, for old times' sake...

quote:

The Devil gasps, "Hi."
Jung Mi Young exclaims, "Roll!"
The Devil farts on the bible.
A mysterious force smites The Devil!
Jung Mi Young [145.9] says, "He fart on holy book while on fire."
Jung Mi Young [145.9] says, "RIP crazy devil man."
ASSIMO [145.9] states, "He went out a noble death"

...completely forgetting that I had thrown the Bible into the bonfire earlier. When you fart on the Bible, a mysterious force smites you and you instantly explode into gibs.

And that's how I burned a million dollars of some guy's money and then exploded in front of him while farting and on fire.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Feb 21, 2014

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...

Angry Diplomat posted:

And that's how I burned a million dollars of some guy's money and then exploded in front of him while farting and on fire.
It's stories like this that have convinced me to download SS13 and give it a try. At this point I have figured out how to pick things up, put them in my backpack, hit things with other things, and run around sealing off sections by setting off the fire alarm. Not to the level I want to be yet but I will get there.

For content:
About 2 days ago another goon and I were playing 7 Days to Die when I came across a server that was roleplaying the old west. If you don't know 7 Days to Die is a zombie survival game mixed with the minecraft style of crafting and everything being made of blocks and destroyable. So this server was building their little western town and had zombies turned off which was no fun. It was at this point my friend realized that they had creative mode on which lets you just spawn in a full stack of whatever item or block you want. We immediately spawned in some Augers and started excavating under the entire town. In 7 Days to Die they boast about structural stability, if it has no supports it will fall. Well we tunneled straight down the road and branched off under every house. One of the admins found us and started questioning us about what we were doing so the logical answer was escape tunnels in case of zombies or something. Admin gave us the thumbs up and went on his way.

After about 5 minutes later an entire house collapsed on me after I removed every block under it while thinking there was a bit more support. I quickly disconnected and came back with a new name then started asking why they destroyed their building. The admins started going on about people using TNT when they shouldn't be, idiots. So back to tunneling we go and we dug out most of the buildings and left supports made on explosives. Right before we are about to set it off the whole drat road collapses and the guy comes down into the tunnel freaking and throwing supports up (only under the road) and placing dirt in front of the tunnels to the buildings. We laid low for a few minutes until we went back to whatever dumb RP poo poo he was doing and removed all the dirt and lined his supports with TNT. That's when the explosions started happening, one by one buildings on each side of the street started to crumble when their floors and supports were blown up. This caused so much lag the admin restarted the server and rolled it back. Myself and the other goon were the first ones in and immediately started blowing poo poo up again cause all of the TNT was still in place. Admin comes on, other goon got banned. Before he could ban me another restart took place and next thing we know the server requires a password.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

So one day in SS13 I was playing an Assistant and I stumbled upon the Detective gunning down some poor bastard in the hallways. I went to help him and was immediately shot as well. Fortunately, at this point he ran out of ammo, and while he reloaded I grabbed his victim and made my escape. After dragging the man to safety and having the bullets dug out of his chest, he was back on his feet. I asked him what dastardly criminal act he had committed to earn 4 bullets to the chest, fully expecting it to be some kind of theft or murder, and he said that all he had done was damage the carpet in the detective's office by accidentally dropping a welder onto a piece of paper and starting a tiny, one square fire.

Well, the detective was clearly a jerk, and since I still had one of his bullets rattling around in my ribcage I decided that it was time for us to take our horrible vengeance upon him. We cobbled together improvised weaponry in the warehouse, and then set an ambush in the maintenance corridor behind the detective's office. Sure enough, he showed up, and we immediately jumped him and shoved him back through his office door. After a moderate-to-severe beating was administered, we grabbed the detective's cash and zippo lighter and broke into his office. We split the cash stack down and then threw it all over the office, then set about lighting it with the lighter. Then I remembered that one of the improvised weapons I'd brought was a flamethrower so I just blasted the entire office with it, setting all three of us on fire and destroying the entire carpet(as well as some other things). Then we smashed the tables and the front window and ran out into the hallways, screaming and on fire, past 2 or 3 confused security officers.

At this point, the chase was on. The detective survived and lead the security team after us, and we stayed on the move as much as possible. We managed to steal a shotgun, but were defeated and executed by sec when they ambushed us while we tried to steal spacesuits. We got the last laugh, though, as during the last fight the detective took a hit from the shotgun while he was standing in front of an open airlock and the knockback sent him sailing out into space without a suit.

FirstPlayer
Jan 1, 2007

Beat me up and earn
fifteen respect points

Is there a place that still has the Dating Game Online screenshots? None of the mediafire links from half a decade ago work and I remember laughing my rear end off at them. :saddowns:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

FirstPlayer posted:

Is there a place that still has the Dating Game Online screenshots? None of the mediafire links from half a decade ago work and I remember laughing my rear end off at them. :saddowns:

These ones?

http://www.somethingawful.com/feature-articles/sa-forum-goons/1/

FirstPlayer
Jan 1, 2007

Beat me up and earn
fifteen respect points

From that game, yeah; are there others? Hydrogen Oxide mentioned an archive with 363 shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

The sad thing is those games get overrun so fast that they die in a flash of brilliance but dont stay long.

There was another one of the draw something variety where the person in question drew nothing but ducks and the chat was hilarious. Anyone know what I am talking about or better yet have screenshots? Google has turned nothing up for me. Same with the burnout crash cam.

I am in need of a console game I can be creative and grief with, suggestions? Trying to go against the grain and get something like a sandbox except with multiplayer (grand theft auto like)

• Locked thread