Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

chumbler posted:

Someone reading Negima for background would also need to read the Eva arc. And the tournament arc because the tournament arc owned and had some great fights.

Honestly, reading the Kyoto arc gives a pretty good idea of what Eva is capable of even before there's all of the exposition and training in the magical world. The early Eva arc basically just sets up a bit of backstory that I remember being able to be inferred later on. After that, if you're skipping around, you're missing a bit of stuff. It goes pretty quick, again from what I remember, to the festival arc and the questionable stuff diminishes. The tournament in the festival is great if only for Chisame's reactions to her world quickly melting around her.

Kyoto seems to be where Akamatsu decided to go full shonen with it and found his true calling. I like Love Hina but between Negima and this series, it's obvious he should have been doing this all along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Kyoto was a fun arc. The tournament is where I really started loving Negima though.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think Negima started hitting its stride when Kotarou showed up again and that Wilhelm guy appeared. By then I think Ken had a good grasp of both what balance he wanted to strike and how to do it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Robviously posted:

Honestly, reading the Kyoto arc gives a pretty good idea of what Eva is capable of even before there's all of the exposition and training in the magical world. The early Eva arc basically just sets up a bit of backstory that I remember being able to be inferred later on. After that, if you're skipping around, you're missing a bit of stuff. It goes pretty quick, again from what I remember, to the festival arc and the questionable stuff diminishes. The tournament in the festival is great if only for Chisame's reactions to her world quickly melting around her.

Kyoto seems to be where Akamatsu decided to go full shonen with it and found his true calling. I like Love Hina but between Negima and this series, it's obvious he should have been doing this all along.

Akamatsu wasn't originally anything special as an artist and storyteller. UQH is great, but it comes after years of him developing his craft.

Legacyspy
Oct 25, 2008

Sindai posted:

I started reading Negima at the point where they teleport to the magic world and felt I hadn't missed much.

You should totally go back read the tournament arc if you like Negima. It owns. The kyoto arc is also a lot of fun. TBH your missing a lot. One of the the reasons I like so much is the character development
all the characters go through, and you've really missed a lot. How the relationships form between the cast characters is really quite awesome.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
What's the chapter number of the earliest good arc?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I liked the Evangeline arc though it's obviously still transitioning to Shonen action. Kyoto arc is where the story really starts though, so that's chapter 26. I'd say just start from the beginning since 25 chapters isn't that much to read through.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
You have to keep in mind that it isn't like a switch flips and Negima goes from being entirely about naked 14 year old girls to entirely about ballin' fight scenes. The wretched fanservice harem content takes up about 50% of the manga total and it never goes away entirely.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

You have to keep in mind that it isn't like a switch flips and Negima goes from being entirely about naked 14 year old girls to entirely about ballin' fight scenes. The wretched fanservice harem content takes up about 50% of the manga total and it never goes away entirely.

Sadly, this is true. It does end up taking a back seat eventually, though.

I'd say just start with the Kyoto arc, and breeze through the fanservice stuff when it happens.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, he leaves behind the Love Hina 2.0 his publishers wanted, but it's not like he did Love Hina begrudgingly. He enjoys his wacky hijinks and fanservice, he just happens to enjoy fights a lot too.

You know, I think a few AI Love You characters were mentioned or shown in Negima. I guess all his work "might be" in the same Kenverse?

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

I'd venture a guess that it is, if only due to the carry over of the Shinmei Ryu sword style. Some of the wackier Love Hina stuff would completely fit into a world that was shared with Negima.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

PerrineClostermann posted:

Yeah, he leaves behind the Love Hina 2.0 his publishers wanted, but it's not like he did Love Hina begrudgingly. He enjoys his wacky hijinks and fanservice, he just happens to enjoy fights a lot too.

You know, I think a few AI Love You characters were mentioned or shown in Negima. I guess all his work "might be" in the same Kenverse?

At least Negima! and Love Hina are set in the same world. Read chapter 303 of Negima! Idk about AI Love You tho.

the unabonger fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 12, 2014

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
AI love you might have been mentioned in the love hina anniversary chapter, actually.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

While I agree that the amount of fanservice in Negima is unfortunate, I definitely do enjoy the wacky hijinks. The slice-of-life chapters pretty frequently put a smile on my face when I read through them.

On the topic of UQ Holder, I hope Touta gets a bit more clever. Rakan wasn't stupid, he just gave no fucks. Touta already has the give no fucks part down pat, he just needs the experience to back it up.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

PerrineClostermann posted:

AI love you might have been mentioned in the love hina anniversary chapter, actually.

AI Love You gets teased in Negima as well, via Chachamaru's origins.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Silento posted:

While I agree that the amount of fanservice in Negima is unfortunate, I definitely do enjoy the wacky hijinks. The slice-of-life chapters pretty frequently put a smile on my face when I read through them.

On the topic of UQ Holder, I hope Touta gets a bit more clever. Rakan wasn't stupid, he just gave no fucks. Touta already has the give no fucks part down pat, he just needs the experience to back it up.

What Touta really needs is motivation. The thing is, he could get that at any time if his memory came back, because whatever killed his parents also hosed up Eva. However, the manga could also continue as it is and he could gradually find something to motivate him. The whole 'make friends with every immortal' thing was dropped just as quickly as all of the life goals he borrowed from his friends.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
I think it might be a while before we see a true, genuine motivation from Touta. The last chapter said pretty much explicitly that it's because he doesn't have any goals at all that he's such an absurdly quick learner, which is his most shonen hero quality.

keet
Aug 20, 2005

Paracelsus posted:

Kaede and Mana should show up as a wrecking-crew duo. :black101: Their fight was one of the best in the series.

Remembering the creative adaptation timeline around the development of the characters I wouldn't put it past Akamatsu to have a cameo with Setsuna & Konoka's adult swordfight magic-science-baby or something. It's really the only main cast "couple" he ever did (Negi mostly used as tease fuel for the fandom) and apparently it started as just a bog standard "protective servant of princess type" standard archetype until Setsuna got superpopular as the series and adaptations went on and it got embellished. IIRC Akamatsu's epilogue literally implies they got married.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
The epilogue, unless it was mistranslated, says they get married but was ambiguous as to whether they marry one another or they both get married to men. The way it was worded could be interpreted either way.

Of course, the fact that they revealed that Kuromaru's some sort of hermaphrodite that can choose its sex, and looks like the same sort of being Setsuna was, seems like a retcon to allow for those two to have had children together.

Blhue fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 18, 2014

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Blhue posted:

The epilogue, unless it was mistranslated, says they get married but was ambiguous as to whether they marry one another or they both get married to men. The way it was worded could be interpreted either way.

Of course, the fact that they revealed that Kuromaru's some sort of hermaphrodite that can choose its sex, and looks like the same sort of being Setsuna was, seems like a retcon to allow for those two to have had children together.

Or magic. Or cloning. Or adoption. Or pick a guy they both like to be the donor. Lots of ways it could go.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Honestly, I'm surprised that the future isn't a dystopia following the mold of DNA^2. The idea that Negi overcame being a natural gigolo seems incredibly unlikely. I wonder why he doesn't seem to be all that famous, though? No one ever mentions him even though he was responsible for most of the defining features of the setting. Heck, even the slum is unbelievably pleasant (for a slum), which says a lot about the rest of the world. Maybe he is only famous on Mars?

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

Honestly, I'm surprised that the future isn't a dystopia following the mold of DNA^2. The idea that Negi overcame being a natural gigolo seems incredibly unlikely. I wonder why he doesn't seem to be all that famous, though? No one ever mentions him even though he was responsible for most of the defining features of the setting. Heck, even the slum is unbelievably pleasant (for a slum), which says a lot about the rest of the world. Maybe he is only famous on Mars?

It really seem likely that this will be a plot point for UQ. Akamatsu ended Negima early to make sure he could still keep the rights to it didn't he? And the fact that we have Eva and Magica Erebrea really makes it seem like he'll wrap up whatever untidy ends he left with the sparse Negima ending.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Chapter 23 is out. http://www.crunchyroll.com/comics_read/manga?volume_id=389&chapter_num=23.00

Yggdrasil325
Jul 24, 2011

...Aaaand now we've got a fist through Touta's chest, and his heart outside his body. That sure escalated.

taishi28012
Aug 9, 2007
Even considering some of the bloodier battles in Negima, I didn't see this coming. Though, if we get Hellsing levels of violence I won't object.

taishi28012 fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 19, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

^^^^ I don't know, I think Eva getting sliced into pieces in the first chapter kind of set what to expect. And Karin getting impaled multiple times. And Kuroumaru getting an arm through the chest. And Touta getting his head cut off.

It's okay though, Touta will walk it off with Rakan levels of not giving a gently caress. Man, Akamatsu is just showing with every chapter that he was born to do battle manga.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Considering I can enjoy Love Hina due to rose glassed nostalgia, Negima for its bizarre transition from rom-com to DBZ, and UQ Holder for being balls to walls crazy with action, I'm quite happy to admit I've yet to be disappointed by Akamatsu.

Just gotta avoid re-reading Love Hina...:shepface:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Shinjobi posted:

Considering I can enjoy Love Hina due to rose glassed nostalgia, Negima for its bizarre transition from rom-com to DBZ, and UQ Holder for being balls to walls crazy with action, I'm quite happy to admit I've yet to be disappointed by Akamatsu.

Just gotta avoid re-reading Love Hina...:shepface:

The best girl lost, anyway.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
You can tell he has wanted to do action sequences for a while though considering they start popping up more often in the second half of Love Hina. I still think it's fairly re-readable but that's probably nostalgia speaking. I thought there were some decent character arcs and moments anyways, though he admittedly starting spinning the wheels near the end, resulting in more ridiculous action sequences, so it all evened out.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Allarion posted:

You can tell he has wanted to do action sequences for a while though considering they start popping up more often in the second half of Love Hina. I still think it's fairly re-readable but that's probably nostalgia speaking. I thought there were some decent character arcs and moments anyways, though he admittedly starting spinning the wheels near the end, resulting in more ridiculous action sequences, so it all evened out.

It's pretty good really. The main strike against it is well...genre.

taishi28012
Aug 9, 2007
Hmm, last time I reread Love Hina was a few years ago. It didn't quite pass the nostalgia test but, almost nothing does. It never was as terrible as some people make it out to be & was leaps and bounds better than A.I. Love You.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
February - the month of love! Started the month of love in Naruto, with Sakura cutting a hole into a dying Naruto's chest and grabbing his heart to pump it with her fist. Next week, Kill La Kill had Ryuko getting her heart pulled out of her chest. And now in UQ Holder, Touta loses in a battle of speed and getting his heart pushed out of his back!

That's a whole lot of hearts. Did I forget any?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
It was Pushed out of his chest and then crushed.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
I agree with the sentiment that Love Hina was never particularly bad. I certainly have enjoyed it years after I first read it and I dont think anything will change the fact that it's more often than not genuinely funny.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Spoiler images are out for chapter 24. There's a flashback to Negi fighting the Mage of the Beginning(?) which is something we never got to see in Negima.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

New chapter: http://readms.com/r/uq_holder/24/2265/1

drat, we're moving along at light speed now. Or should I say lightning speed? :D

It's cool that Touta was re-absorbing his gibs. After all, Magia Erebea is about taking everything! Sometimes more literally than others.

I hope we get to see Negi's final form in action sometime.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Silento posted:

New chapter: http://readms.com/r/uq_holder/24/2265/1

drat, we're moving along at light speed now. Or should I say lightning speed? :D

It's cool that Touta was re-absorbing his gibs. After all, Magia Erebea is about taking everything! Sometimes more literally than others.

I hope we get to see Negi's final form in action sometime.

This chapter's got me pretty optimistic that we're going to get the final arc of Negima as a flashback sometime down the road, or at least a detailed summary.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It seems obvious that an 'immortal hunter' would have pretty strong feelings about immortals, but maybe immortality is viewed negatively in the magic world.

Also, this guy is pretty much just a dumbass. Immortals are all bad, especially the ones who saved the world(s)! Like, he was probably the only person to directly witness the mage of the beginning being taken down from the outside and that is what he took away from it.
What, did his girlfriend dump him to spend more time on the Negi fanclub?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 22, 2014

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Yesssssss. Finally, a brief glimpse into what would have been the ending for Negima. And I am already immensely sad that it didn't happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Dammit Akamatsu, stop teasing. Looks like Negi stopped aging at about the same age as he used to disguise himself as, or is using the same old age pills. And he worked with what became UQ Holder? drat, this just raises more questions.

• Locked thread