Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Close to Home

This would not stop the repeated raping of Randy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

A lot is riding on the success of this children's book written by a child? How? Why? Also, Rex is so smug in that final panel, it's fantastic.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Mister Beeg posted:

This was one of the handful of comics that was picked up by Ted Rall when he was in charge of United Features' comic strip division.

On top of my head, the strips Rall picked up were this, "Diesel Sweeties", "The Knight Life", "Secret Asian Man", "Minimum Security", plus editorial cartoonists Matt Bors and Mike Lester (Lester and Rall are friends). Of those strips, only "Knight Life" and Bors are around, with others being discontinued (Family Tree is in reruns); Lester moved to Washington Post Writers Group.

Ted Rall delenda est.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Darthemed posted:

e: because no one who doesn't follow this thread will have a clue.
Man why you people trying to ruin that with text. :mad:

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise

Revenge is a dish best served Cajun style in tomorrow's conclusion!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Wanamingo posted:

Zachary Nixon Johnson

And now buckley boxes. Of course.

Direct steal from an obscure '80s Warren compendium called 1984, character himself was a ripoff of Han Solo, some dude named Happy Jim Sunblaster had a lucite revolver that talked to him and shot auto targeting bullets.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Tiggum posted:

A lot is riding on the success of this children's book written by a child? How? Why?
A.) Because the contract Rex and June's lawyer drew up is just that amazing.
B.) Because it is the worst museum, run by the most incompetent people, in the dumbest world imaginable.
C.) Because any of Rex Morgan's family experiencing anything other than perfect success and unearned riches must surely herald the End Of All Things.
D.) All of the above.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Can someone explain to me how reply all accidents are a thing that ever happened? I can understand clicking on it once by accident, but wouldn't it be really obvious that the list of addressees is now way longer and prominent than any of the rest of the e-mail's technical information? Both my e-mail accounts have you select reply / reply all before writing the e-mail. In the old days did it used to be other way around?

Mister Beeg posted:

This was one of the handful of comics that was picked up by Ted Rall when he was in charge of United Features' comic strip division.

On top of my head, the strips Rall picked up were this, "Diesel Sweeties", "The Knight Life", "Secret Asian Man", "Minimum Security", plus editorial cartoonists Matt Bors and Mike Lester (Lester and Rall are friends). Of those strips, only "Knight Life" and Bors are around, with others being discontinued (Family Tree is in reruns); Lester moved to Washington Post Writers Group.

Are the other comics here as terrible as this name association makes them look?

Comics (January 31st 2007)

Even by 2007 standards that sounds really dated.

La Cucaracha

Doonesbury

The Duplex

F-Minus

Non Sequitur

---

Eyebeam

The absence of a background here saddens me.

It's All Right Chief Dharma

This is yesterday's comic, because today's comic only makes sense in the context of yesterday's comic.

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Apr 18, 2014

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mister Beeg posted:

Also every one of those is loving terrible.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Binary Badger posted:

Direct steal from an obscure '80s Warren compendium called 1984, character himself was a ripoff of Han Solo, some dude named Happy Jim Sunblaster had a lucite revolver that talked to him and shot auto targeting bullets.

The idea of a talking weapon dates back to Irish mythology, it's not exactly something Warren invented.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Some Guy TT posted:

Can someone explain to me how reply all accidents are a thing that ever happened? I can understand clicking on it once by accident, but wouldn't it be really obvious that the list of addressees is now way longer and prominent than any of the rest of the e-mail's technical information? Both my e-mail accounts have you select reply / reply all before writing the e-mail. In the old days did it used to be other way around?

I've seen it happen when the original send was to a group alias, like some email systems and discussion lists allow you to set up so you only have to type a single address instead of twenty or fifty or more. Those are sometimes set so that "reply" automatically goes to the whole group.

If that's the way it's set, then when Person A sends an email to one of those, Person B can just hit plain "reply," not noticing that the original was to a group and the response will go back to the group. It's fairly easy to have it happen if B sometimes does get individual emails from A and just doesn't think to check.

TofuDiva fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 18, 2014

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Some Guy TT posted:

Are the other comics here as terrible as this name association makes them look?

"Diesel Sweeties" was originally a sprite webcomic. The newspaper version and the "edgier" web version ran simultaneously during its time.

I have a soft spot for "The Knight Life", but only because I'm a fan of Keith Knight's "K Chronicles" (something I should post someday).

I never paid attention to the other strips.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Wanamingo posted:

Lost Side of Suburbia

This is reminding me of Roald Dahl. That is a good thing.

Luann

Meh.

Apartment 3-G

Meh.

Pros & Cons

Ew.

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Iron Man's "fly" button is located on his palm? Seems like a great place to put it if you want things to go horribly wrong as often as possible.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Julet Esqu posted:

Apartment 3-G

They went shopping for Stuff, and got it cheap, then they spotted a free Thing give-away and got some of those too! Orange Stuff, green Stuff, blue Things, they've got it all!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Iron Man's "fly" button is located on his palm? Seems like a great place to put it if you want things to go horribly wrong as often as possible.
This loving strip :allears:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Did JJJ just drop 70 tons/1 ton (who's counting) through the floor? And his impromptu exit shows that they're several stories up.
Oh, Newspaper Spider-Man. :allears:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Wasn't there a big pen full of hogs in the back? Maybe they covered them over with cobwebs, too.

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

Whenever someone introduces to you a new card game it's always bad news.

Retail

A safe if not remarkably boring choice. On the plus side she's already had her soul crushed so she comes pre-jaded to a life in retail.

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Holy smokes when did we get a chair in this house?

Dustin

You don't say...

(mildly NWS)

On the Fastrack

Virtual escapism always brightens my day when I'm feeling down.

Safe Havens

Spending half your life as a fish in a fishtank actually sounds pretty awful.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

sea turtles
      are idiots

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Holy poo poo, so do I! That is the coolest format! I seem to recall DD doing that in the past too.

At least once, reporting on Earth's then-ongoing food crisis back in Voyage to Venus (maybe Red Moon Mystery, too, but I'd have to check). A creative solution to the age-old problem of exposition dumping, and it fleshes out the setting at the same time.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Thanks Bitchtits!

Thbitchtits. :v:

That joke will never get old. :haw:

Wanamingo posted:

I just want to say, I appreciate Krazy Kat being posted again. It's a good comic.

Non-depressing factoid I learned from his Wikipedia page: Krazy Kat was apparently not very popular with readers in its day, but William Randolph Hearst a personal fan and gave Herriman a lifetime contract with King Features Syndicate.

Wanamingo posted:

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Speaking of problems with exposition dumping... (Also his gun is a pacifist ha ha ha that is zany. :geno:)

Oh just pair 'em off already fer chrissakes. Gunther the Wunder-Weenie trying to flex his cremaster ain't gonna be enough if you're really wanting to sell this "new management" bit.

Turn the tables on her, Gil: come back tomorrow suggesting a friendly game of "Mao". :getin:

Gahan Wilson

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Midnight Moth posted:

Gil

Whenever someone introduces to you a new card game it's always bad news.

In retrospect I'm not sure how my grandparents managed to teach me how to play any of those games. Naturally I've forgotten the rules to every last one of them except for rummy.

That attic was in the Gahan Wilson Haunted House game, although it's not that close. The horse and the doll are the only thing that actually resemble anything in the game, although the tone of the room is almost identical. Good thing you can kill the evil jack-in-the-box with a bomb. You could kill everything in that game with a bomb, especially the speaking characters. Kind of a messed up thing to sell to kids now that I think about it.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Bitchtits McGee posted:

Who's kid is that, anyway? Is Nemi enrolled in the "Big Brother, Big Sister" program? Do they even have that in Norway?

I'm not sure about Sibling programs like that, but that's her little brother. It doesn't get shown off a lot in the normal newspaper strips, but her entire family is goth.

Little My is a Force of Nature, never mistake it.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Some Guy TT posted:

In retrospect I'm not sure how my grandparents managed to teach me how to play any of those games. Naturally I've forgotten the rules to every last one of them except for rummy.
I'm going to teach my grandkids how to play Ogre Battle 64. To hell with card games.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

High school girls who want boyfriends, right? That's the way the Tiffanys of the world talk. You better get your frizzy head out of the clothing department and over to jewelry before Delta and Luann ship you off to Wholesomeness Reeducation Camp.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Oh, so that's what the musical notation for 'Two Pump Chump' looks like.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Wanamingo posted:

Arlo and Janis

What, their son and his wife? I always thought they were twenty-somethings, thirty-somethings tops. Huh.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Sergio Aragones (Issue #2, August 2011)

Don Martin Dept.

Thorn (April 2-4, 1984)

Lucky Cow (April 24-26, 2004)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Kammat posted:

Modesty Blaise

Revenge is a dish best served Cajun style in tomorrow's conclusion!

I'm surprised the General and Blanche want anything to do with Custer. They seem to be Fine Southern Folk, and every Confederate history aficionado I've talked with agrees that Custer was a colossal, glory-hogging, idiot coward.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

I wonder if these strips happen because they spot something they can run through a thesaurus 12 times and call it a joke, or if they just wake up really wanting to draw twelve cakes and the "joke" is just an excuse.

Mister Beeg posted:

"Diesel Sweeties" was originally a sprite webcomic. The newspaper version and the "edgier" web version ran simultaneously during its time.

Diesel Sweeties is still running as a webcomic, apparently. I'm as surprised as everyone else.

Rarebit Fiend

Artifacts of the humdrum world taking on a monstrous aspect and isolating you from society is a running theme in RF.

Momma

"I run my own life" isn't really an excuse for that. It's more of a declaration of intent.

e: could someone tell me what's going on in Judge Parker?

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Feb 18, 2014

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

Heimo's adolescence:
[High school graduate hearing]
- Studying doesn't motivate me... What if I can't get a job? I'm emotionally scabbed

I don't want to explain the intricacies of the Finnish school system right now, but ylioppilas isn't exactly a high school graduate (since we don't exactly HAVE the exact equivalent of a high school) but it's close enough. Kuuntelu is literally a hearing but in this case it means a listening exam for some unspecified language, likely Swedish or English. So, it's actually an exam that's part of the graduation process, not a "hearing" for graduates which Heimo already is (as evident from his ylioppilaslakki, graduate hat).

Fok_It

This is what some people actually believe

The alliteration parts were thankfully not particularly difficult, but there was a good one that had to be lost in translation: pakkopulla, literally "forced bun" or "bread", basically giving a name to that thing that's being shoved down your throat whether you want it or not. Something unpleasant and/or repetitive that you have no influence over and you have to do anyway. I replaced it with pressure, couldn't come up with any better synonym-ish word for "forced" that starts with p, and pressure works anyway in the context of that rant.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Feb 18, 2014

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

e: could someone tell me what's going on in Judge Parker?

Judge Randy Parker, son of Alan Parker (the original Judge Parker) is getting married to (probably) CIA agent April, in this hidden jungle fortress place that is supposedly a hospital where April's father is apparently dying of cancer (and may also be working for the CIA?). Alan Parker and his wife Katherine are there with them. On the cruise ship they took to get there, April spotted a woman watching them. That woman, whom we now know as Li Hai, disappeared. We saw her hat floating in the ocean behind the ship, but April apparently doesn't know what happened to her. Li Hai's husband Flaco confronted April about the disappearance on the ship. Once they left the ship they were met by armed guards who brought them to see April's father. On the way they discovered they were being tracked. They thought they'd managed to get rid of the tracking device but have since discovered a second one.

Also, Alan is writing a film script based on his successful book about Sam Driver, who is a lawyer who worked with Randy before he was a judge, and I can't remember what's happening with the Spencer-Drivers back in America but they're probably being given a lot of money for no reason, because that's what usually happens.

Any mistakes I've made in this retelling are down to the fact that all this has taken several months to unfold. And I'm really not sure what this place where Abbott (April's father) lives actually is supposed to be. I'm pretty sure it was described as some kind of medical facility, but its location is secret and it has heavily armed guards? I don't know.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Jane's World

Ok, here we go...

Non Sequitur

Bleh. Jeeze Wiley, you need a vacation or something.

Heavenly Nostrils

:)

Kliban's Cats

Still doing the Sochi thing. Pretty neat.

9 Chickweed Lane 2/18/2003

Oh Jesus, Brooke, the Arabesque thing again? :suicide:

Zits

Weird. She doesn't look any different.

Kevin & Kell

:ughh:

Nemi

Thanks, Cyan. Lorde's "Royals" just started up on repeat in my head again. :v:

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac gives you exactly what you ask for, but not what you want.

The Creeps is doing a thing. (click for big)

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Tiggum posted:

Judge Randy Parker, son of Alan Parker (the original Judge Parker) is getting married to (probably) CIA agent April, in this hidden jungle fortress place that is supposedly a hospital where April's father is apparently dying of cancer (and may also be working for the CIA?). Alan Parker and his wife Katherine are there with them. On the cruise ship they took to get there, April spotted a woman watching them. That woman, whom we now know as Li Hai, disappeared. We saw her hat floating in the ocean behind the ship, but April apparently doesn't know what happened to her. Li Hai's husband Flaco confronted April about the disappearance on the ship. Once they left the ship they were met by armed guards who brought them to see April's father. On the way they discovered they were being tracked. They thought they'd managed to get rid of the tracking device but have since discovered a second one.

Also, Alan is writing a film script based on his successful book about Sam Driver, who is a lawyer who worked with Randy before he was a judge, and I can't remember what's happening with the Spencer-Drivers back in America but they're probably being given a lot of money for no reason, because that's what usually happens.

Any mistakes I've made in this retelling are down to the fact that all this has taken several months to unfold. And I'm really not sure what this place where Abbott (April's father) lives actually is supposed to be. I'm pretty sure it was described as some kind of medical facility, but its location is secret and it has heavily armed guards? I don't know.

Much obliged. I wonder how it's all going to end. I hope Parker gets shot or bitten by something

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

SubNat posted:

I'm not sure about Sibling programs like that, but that's her little brother. It doesn't get shown off a lot in the normal newspaper strips, but her entire family is goth.

Little My is a Force of Nature, never mistake it.

My favorite thing about this is that you can actually see it coming a day in advance (well, beyond the huge clue of "nope can't be bothered to count 'em gotta run"). When the Mymble washes and counts them near the start of this storyline there's seventeen brothers and sisters, and if you do headcount on the bottom-right corner here...

SubNat posted:

Midsummer bonfires are pretty rad, all things considered.

...there's exactly sixteen.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Nemi

Thanks, Cyan. Lorde's "Royals" just started up on repeat in my head again. :v:

Try this version of "Royals".

Monty

Marmaduke circe 1968

Mike du Jour

You couldn't just use a real drink like an appletini, you had to make one up?

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 18, 2014

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (November 30, 1926)

This is what Our Hero was selling in '26, if you're curious.

The one the center is the most severe guy I've ever seen wearing pointed shoes and a hat that looks like it should have jingle bells.

Peanuts: When you pay five cents for advice, you get advice that's worth no more than a nickel... (February 21, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean

To be fair to the pick-up artist, weekend broadcast news shows that aren't Meet The Press or Face The Nation aren't exactly ratings giants.

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Pogo (February 21, 1956)

Out Our Way (June 20-21, 1924)

Mom knows that one sudden move and she's picking a kid's face up off of the floor.

There's a lot to admire in Williams's style, but it doesn't really lend itself to a full-tilt mom freakout.

(The counterexample: Toonerville Folks by Fontaine Fox, June 23, 1943)

The third member of their party knows the score: chicks dig dorgs.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

To be fair to the pick-up artist, weekend broadcast news shows that aren't Meet The Press or Face The Nation aren't exactly ratings giants.

To be fair it's 2014 and most well off people who are under age 55 get their news from various online sources. The closest I come to "watching news" is a clip that is linked to from a thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I remembered "Secret Asian Man" being boring but somewhat cute, so I looked it up again.

...I think my memory is playing tricks on me.

• Locked thread