Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
Good job, Benny. I quite like the changes you made - much better than your first story. See how nice things can come out when you put even a small bit of effort into them?

Now just stay focused, and keep up the better-ish work. It's not great by any stretch, but it IS better and that's something. Keep writing, keep getting input, and keep posting in the TD. When people burn your rear end up for something bad, fix it and move on. The more you write, the better you will be, and the closer you'll be to your end goals, whatever they might be for your writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

I'm not a writer, so I'm going to pass on critiquing your story. However I will note that as a "general audience" it reads infinitely better than the oracle story. Now if only you could put as much effort into improving your job searching we might see you gainfully employed somewhere this year.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Good job Benny. Your new story is a start. Much better.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

juche mane posted:

Good job Benny. Your new story is a start. Much better.
Thanks. This story was written from a happy place, so I tried as much as possible to evoke that same kind of nostalgia that I have for those days when I was a kid. I think I'll try the soap opera inter-prompt.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Benny the Snake posted:

Thanks. This story was written from a happy place, so I tried as much as possible to evoke that same kind of nostalgia that I have for those days when I was a kid. I think I'll try the soap opera inter-prompt.

:unsmith:

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
You know I let my academic advisor read my early writings and he's compared me to Jim Butcher. I know he's the writer of The Dresden Files series but I'm not familiar with those books. Should I be embarrassed, proud, or a little bit of both?

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
You should be GET A JOB nah j/k Benny, this new story evokes actual feelings and interest. Good job.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Jim Butcher writes urban fantasy that features a massive goon as a private eye wizard who acts like he's in a noir, but with faeries.

Considering you're an e/n superstar - and I'm sure the thread would disagree - but you should probably read... less nerdy books, and go for lit fic by Hemingway et al.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Jim Butcher writes urban fantasy that features a massive goon as a private eye wizard who acts like he's in a noir, but with faeries.

Considering you're an e/n superstar - and I'm sure the thread would disagree - but you should probably read... less nerdy books, and go for lit fic by Hemingway et al.
I've read Hemingway, actually. A few years ago I read The Sun Also Rises. His writing felt cold and emotionless to me. I prefer Fitzgerald, actually.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

The story was much better. Still needs work, but I can tell you spent more time on the second story. Both stories seemed to end abruptly so the flow of it was a little off.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Judgment is up, anyone who posted a story.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Benny the Snake posted:

I've read Hemingway, actually. A few years ago I read The Sun Also Rises. His writing felt cold and emotionless to me. I prefer Fitzgerald, actually.

Benny, I know you think you need to study the classics, and there's definitely merit to them, but you should check out contemporary fiction too since you're presumably going to be writing for a contemporary audience. If you figure out how to write for the past, definitely let us know.

Try "The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao" by Junot Diaz, or maybe something like "Everything Was Illuminated" by Jonathan Lethem. Or, poo poo, branch out and hit up Toni Morrison - "Beloved" is good as hell. I guess theoretically I should be suggesting short story collections, since short form fiction's a good place to start and get practice in how to keep things concise and to the point. I liked Miranda July's collection of shorts, or you could go nerdier and turn to Gaiman, I guess. I dunno.

If you're going to be unemployed you may as well spend your time reading good prose to get an idea how to write it. Your second story was definitely an improvement over the first, though! Good luck, dude. Keep it up.

e: Fitzgerald owns though definitely

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Benny the Snake posted:

You know I let my academic advisor read my early writings and he's compared me to Jim Butcher. I know he's the writer of The Dresden Files series but I'm not familiar with those books. Should I be embarrassed, proud, or a little bit of both?

I'm glad that you wrote a nice story here and that you're getting some positive vibes, but holy poo poo this is funny.

In all seriousness, good luck with your next story and your job search this week.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Aqua Bear posted:

I'm glad that you wrote a nice story here and that you're getting some positive vibes, but holy poo poo this is funny.
What's so funny? :confused:

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Benny the Snake posted:

Well to be honest, you have a very flat register, almost paratactic in style, which is something Hemingway was known for. You don't have Fitzgerald's opulent, romantic tone.

So if you want to play to your natural style (as it exists right now), it's Hemingway or the highway.

You could do worse; good parataxis is hard, but incredibly powerful and evocative. Also very rewarding to write.

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

Screw the enemy's gate man, I've got a fucking TAIL!
Do you know how crazy the ladies go for those?
Benny, did you see how Fanky Maloons offered more in depth critique of stories if you PM them? It would be wise to take them up on that offer.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Croc Monster posted:

Well to be honest, you have a very flat register, almost paratactic in style, which is something Hemingway was known for. You don't have Fitzgerald's opulent, romantic tone.

So if you want to play to your natural style (as it exists right now), it's Hemingway or the highway.

You could do worse; good parataxis is hard, but incredibly powerful and evocative. Also very rewarding to write.
Reading Raymond Chandler was what inspired me to embrace minimalism as my writing style, actually. Of course, Chandler doesn't compare to Hemingway, but I like Chandler better :shrug:

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Benny the Snake posted:

Reading Raymond Chandler was what inspired me to embrace minimalism as my writing style, actually. Of course, Chandler doesn't compare to Hemingway, but I like Chandler better :shrug:

Don't get too hung up on reputation. Read poo poo you enjoy, dude. It doesn't matter if Hemingway has more cachet if you can't stand him. It's like you're going through the motions and not allowing yourself to have an opinion. You're allowed to hold and defend your own beliefs even if they don't align perfectly with the literary canon. There are a lot of reasons to dislike Hemingway even though he's feted as some kind of uber-writer in some circles. Like, there's probably a ton of people who would agree with you on Chandler being better, or at least on not liking Hemingway.

Whatever inspires you, man.

... Why am I posting in this thread?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Don't get too hung up on reputation. Read poo poo you enjoy, dude. It doesn't matter if Hemingway has more cachet if you can't stand him. It's like you're going through the motions and not allowing yourself to have an opinion. You're allowed to hold and defend your own beliefs even if they don't align perfectly with the literary canon. There are a lot of reasons to dislike Hemingway even though he's feted as some kind of uber-writer in some circles. Like, there's probably a ton of people who would agree with you on Chandler being better, or at least on not liking Hemingway.

Whatever inspires you, man.

... Why am I posting in this thread?
Hemingway is kinda strange like that. I remember I used to hate him for the same reasons Benny does, and I brought that up with some midlist fantasy author online and he told me to get off his forum and never come back. I think a lot of writers feel far too strongly about Hemingway.

On the other hand, I definitely came to enjoy his writing as I read more and I got a better grasp of telling stories. There's a real elegance to his prose that's beautiful to a writer in the same way the pyramids are beautiful to a builder: there are no gaps at all, and every little piece is just so in creating something huge and monumental.

Jim Butcher is ... uh. Well, he's a lovely guy and his books are fun as hell. They're intelligently lowbrow, if that makes sense. At one point, Harry Dresden saves the day by riding in on a zombie T-Rex, guns blazing. That was kinda defining moment in understanding Butcher for me: dude doesn't care if it's batshit or over-the-top, so long as it's fun. He's about as far from Hemingway as you can get, for better or for worse.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Benny the Snake posted:

Read what speaks to you. It is very good to try new authors and get a feel for things but it's also important to have passion for what you are writing. If you don't like it, you won't make anyone else like it either. If you like Chandler, maybe give Elmore Leonard a try if you want to explore more minimalist stuff. Hes known for his sharp and snappy writing.

As far as Jim Butcher is concerned: the dude isn't literary if that matters to you but he sells books so I wouldn't take a comparison to him as an insult. Your writing will change on its own as you develop as a writer and find your voice anyways. So if you don't like that style you won't stay there for long if you keep working on your craft.

Also, kudos for submitting to dome twice in a row now. Keep it up.

Dome often, dome hard. Get critiques, learn, and improve.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Hemingway is kinda strange like that. I remember I used to hate him for the same reasons Benny does, and I brought that up with some midlist fantasy author online and he told me to get off his forum and never come back. I think a lot of writers feel far too strongly about Hemingway.

On the other hand, I definitely came to enjoy his writing as I read more and I got a better grasp of telling stories. There's a real elegance to his prose that's beautiful to a writer in the same way the pyramids are beautiful to a builder: there are no gaps at all, and every little piece is just so in creating something huge and monumental.

Jim Butcher is ... uh. Well, he's a lovely guy and his books are fun as hell. They're intelligently lowbrow, if that makes sense. At one point, Harry Dresden saves the day by riding in on a zombie T-Rex, guns blazing. That was kinda defining moment in understanding Butcher for me: dude doesn't care if it's batshit or over-the-top, so long as it's fun. He's about as far from Hemingway as you can get, for better or for worse.

Oh, yeah, there's definitely something to be said for the austerity of Hemingway's prose. Dude was really good at cutting to the heart of things sometimes, and managing to evoke ... emotion? understanding? without a ton of words. There's a kind of tedious masculinity to a lot of his stuff, though. I haven't read him in a while and remember generally liking his work but after a while it wore on me a bit.

Like, I won't tell anyone if they should or shouldn't like Hemingway, you know? You said it: a lot of writers feel far too strongly about Hemingway. v :) v I was just trying to encourage Benny to think for himself, because you really are allowed to dislike Hemingway, or like him, and it doesn't actually matter that much whether others do or not.

Read what you like, write what you want. Keep doing both and you're bound to improve at both.

Maybe. Hopefully.

Possibly, unless you're Benny, then you'll probably just crash your word processor into a car in the parking lot. :ohdear:

GodsGiftToWomen
Jan 26, 2004
Providing women with sexual pleasure since 1983
Gun Saliva
I'm going to jump on the bandwagon and say that I am also interested in an hour-by-hour breakdown of a day in the life of Benny.

I remember the first breakdown and I'm interested in finding out if any of his daily behaviors or patterns have changed now that we are a year into Benny's thread.

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

Benny, with where you are now and what you have done and leaned over the last year, do you stil consider things like AmeriCorps and teaching English overseas to be options of last resort? Because you spoke of these a year ago as things you'd do if nothing panned out in a few months. Well, it's been more than a few months. What do you think of these options now?

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
I guess I'll go ahead and bump this. Did you ever get a call back from those jobs you've applied to?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Aqua Bear posted:

I guess I'll go ahead and bump this. Did you ever get a call back from those jobs you've applied to?
Nope. I'll call the shoe company on Monday.

Starter Wiggin posted:

Benny, did you see how Fanky Maloons offered more in depth critique of stories if you PM them? It would be wise to take them up on that offer.
I tried, but his username isn't valid for some reason.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 23, 2014

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Benny the Snake posted:

Nope. I'll call the shoe company on Monday.
I tried, but his username isn't valid for some reason.

Fanky is a she. Post in the thread requesting a crit.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

sebmojo posted:

Fanky is a she. Post in the thread requesting a crit.
You mean the Fiction Writing thread? Thanks.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
My Thunderdome story is up: "The Great Lego Train Robbery". This one was harder on me since I was only given 750 words, but overall I like it.

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Look on my Posts, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away
Please tell me “Nutsy, hold the sack" was on purpose.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Thora posted:

Please tell me “Nutsy, hold the sack" was on purpose.
...yes, yes it was.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The writing is decent, but there's way, way too many cliches in there. Most of the dialogue I've heard countless times before. I did like the cow crud line, though.

Real talk man: I hope you are considering this to be a hobby/fun way to pass the time rather than as something that has any dollar signs attached to it in the future.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I think I finally figured it all out, this thread is just a kid trying to get goons to write/critique his English homework for him.

:golfclap: Well played, Benny.

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Look on my Posts, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away

Benny the Snake posted:

...yes, yes it was.

I don't know if that makes it better or worse.

It seems forced.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Arkane posted:

The writing is decent, but there's way, way too many cliches in there. Most of the dialogue I've heard countless times before. I did like the cow crud line, though.

Real talk man: I hope you are considering this to be a hobby/fun way to pass the time rather than as something that has any dollar signs attached to it in the future.
I'm in no position to make any kind of money off my writing so yeah, this is just a way to pass the time/dip my toes in the water.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Feb 24, 2014

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Benny the Snake posted:

I'm in no position to make any kind of money off my writing so yeah, this is just a way to pass the time/dip my toes in the water.

Are you trying to write for fourth-sixth graders? Is that your intended audience?

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Why are all the people that are trashing Benny's hobby in this thread either lovely writers themselves or an unknown quantity?

Lay off the man-boy.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

I do love that everyone told him to write and that he'd write poo poo for a long time before he gets better, and now he's writing poo poo and everyone is in shock.
At least there is some construction criticism you can glean from this thread.

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

Benny, for all the other faults, I have to credit you with at least sticking with it. No, it's not breathtaking writing, but you're doing what you said you would do. And your writing is getting marginally better (to me, not that I'm some expert, just in terms of readability) with each week. So please stick with it.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Spiteski posted:

I do love that everyone told him to write and that he'd write poo poo for a long time before he gets better, and now he's writing poo poo and everyone is in shock.

I think it's bordering on cruel to hold out hope to Benny that he can become a good writer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Spiteski posted:

It's almost like there's 50 or so people reading the thread, 15 of whom are still holding out hope and pressing Benny to do better and the the rest are just making GBS threads on him 24/7

• Locked thread