Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Cross-posting from the synthesizers thread:

An email update from Randy of Madrona Labs mentions a new Aalto update (1.5) and Kaivo to be shipping (hopefully!) in the next couple weeks.

quote:

Here’s the list of major changes in Aalto 1.5:
* Fixed an issue that was slowing down Aalto dramatically on some Windows systems.
* Fixed an issue requiring a runtime support pack on some Windows systems.
* Improved latency through the patcher when running at large host buffer sizes.
* Aalto now draws at full resolution on Macintosh Retina Display, in compatible hosts.
* Aalto is now compatible with Soundplane version 1.0 and higher.
* Fix mousewheel direction on Mac OS 10.7 and higher.
* Accelerated drawing to the screen on Mac OS with OpenGL.
* Optimized drawing scheduling to avoid glitches, especially in Logic.
* User and factory presets now share the same location.
* Improved ergonomics of patcher with larger handles and smoother graphics.
* Fixed a drawing problem with bipolar dials.
* Improved drag ergonomics for dials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

minidracula posted:

Cross-posting from the synthesizers thread:

An email update from Randy of Madrona Labs mentions a new Aalto update (1.5) and Kaivo to be shipping (hopefully!) in the next couple weeks.

The new build of Aalto is great and Kaivo is the loving coolest thing. I'm getting sounds out of it that are just unreal.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001
Finally Aalto works for me again with this new update!

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Oldstench posted:

The new build of Aalto is great and Kaivo is the loving coolest thing. I'm getting sounds out of it that are just unreal.
Let it be known that if you are in the closed beta for Kaivo, I hate you.

Kaivo's release "schedule" is taxing my ability to remain patient.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

minidracula posted:

Let it be known that if you are in the closed beta for Kaivo, I hate you.

Kaivo's release "schedule" is taxing my ability to remain patient.

Can we still be friends?

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Feb 18, 2014

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
That drums demo is pretty Nettle-licious almost entirely throughout. (Maybe I just have them on the brain because I charged my iPod finally and was able to listen to Build a Fort, Set That on Fire for the first time in a while).

How chompy has it been on your CPU in beta? Are you using it on Windows or OS X?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

minidracula posted:

That drums demo is pretty Nettle-licious almost entirely throughout. (Maybe I just have them on the brain because I charged my iPod finally and was able to listen to Build a Fort, Set That on Fire for the first time in a while).

How chompy has it been on your CPU in beta? Are you using it on Windows or OS X?

The first version wouldn't even run on my machine. Windows 7 32-bit, i5, Live 9.1. Randy sent me some other builds to help figure out what was going on and I think he's nailed it. Still takes about 50% of my CPU for 4 voices, and I have to disconnect my wireless internet dongle or I get pops and crackles, but it's worth it.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
On the Steinberg forum someone started a thread asking which plugins people like to use. Today, a user named OveKarlsen created a forum account so he could post the following reply:

OveKarlsen posted:

I use a lot of my own DSP. Which after seeing the level of unseriousness in the DSP and mastering environment, makes a lot of sense.

On KvR people slandered me because I did not support their gayactivism. That was their qualifier, not if one had optimal algorithms or not.
Mastering-engineers on Gearslutz talk about analog, and try to ridicule "the guy with the plugins", and claim 1950s "unobtainium" has magic qualities, and it is even from before the era of Hi-Fi, which started in the 70s.

And people who complain about digital, and think the right dither is necessary, is ofcourse completely unaware, that their amp probably has higher saturation levels, and even probably use a 1-bit D/A, which is like a compressed format, since it cannot perfectly reproduce the signal. One famous masteringengineer even said "they listened to blank CDs" to see if the "digital" was right.

The internet brings a lot of "rock and roll" opinions. The kind of attitude that one does not need to be learned. One thing good about the 1950s is maybe trained vocalists, trained artists. Which ofcourse went away with Elvis Presley, and did ofcourse not help with the LSD-slur of the 70s. With some of these still using reduced frequency-range amp-designs from the same time.

There is no need to emulate poor transistors or power supplies. But one needs to understand that a lot of what goes on in analog units, are simple things. 1 pole envelopes, output saturation, etc. Something you do NOT want in an EQ. And even the simplest of analog filter emulation, will sound correct with gradually lower clipping before each stage, and this will also remove the bad keytracking of analogs. People who think this is more complex than it is, and has mythologized analogs, will make extremely poor emulations taking much CPU due to emulating obscurities.

Ofcourse if one wants softclip one can separate that from the rest of unwanted analog qualities like noise and distortion. And it will be the quality one wants. With a good softclip on each channel, driven to "no objectionable distortion" it does sound like an analog mix. And many used mixers this way, or limiters, and ofcourse when recording to tape.

What I did was simply make some sensible DSP, based on my wants as a musician. And also avoiding arrongant nerdyness, that reads the wildest myths into something. Simplicity is ofcourse not good enough, for someone who needs to conjure their own status, or have inane marketing-gimmicks.

And also "the loudness war" was not relevant with Nirvanas Nevermind. Infact the master sounds better than the live performance, and they should be happy they sold at all. Now masters are twice as loud, and even sounds cleaner. The reality of that argument is that one does not need more transient than necessary. At some point that ofcourse is an argument, but many loud masters does indeed sound very good, and when played back loud, good limiting should ofcourse be done, to remove unecessary loud transients from the ear. This simply makes sense. Some analog engineers will ofcourse not be able to do such a loud sound, on outdated gear, without objectionable distortion.

And if people want, actually perfect limiting can be done. Manybands zerocross limiting, would do the loudest limiting possible, without distortion. It does use much cpu though, but many would probably buy a necessary graphics-card if one were made to run on the GPU.

In the mean time, I am using my own DSP :) Which is quite good, and can do quite low-distortion processing (Drums here are saturated ofcourse).

I am going to make it available for purchase, sometime in 2014.

Peace Be With You.

Ah, but when you click the YouTube link, you are greeted with:

What are you brewing, OveKarlsen, and when can we buy it???

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Even if his own DSP is a bunch of hot air and he himself is a douche, he brings up a lot of valid points.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

That's kind of a *beep boop* post and the worst defense of 2-bus limiting that I've ever heard. I like the way noise sounds. I like reduced headroom. I like saturation and I like clipping. Are they appropriate for everything? No, but nobody really thinks they are. Will I argue to my dying breath that bad masters are bad? Hell yes. The way an 1176 sounds isn't objectively better than anything else, but it sure is imprinted hard into our cultural history. Why reinvent the wheel?

If you want clean you use clean. If you want dirty you gently caress it all up. Isn't that like the most obvious point ever?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Has anyone found a great VST for copying a Metallica-esque heavy distortion sound?

I tried SimulAnalog and the BOSS DS-1 isn't heavy enough even with tweaking I feel.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Razzled posted:

Has anyone found a great VST for copying a Metallica-esque heavy distortion sound?

I tried SimulAnalog and the BOSS DS-1 isn't heavy enough even with tweaking I feel.

Depends on what era of Metallica you want, really. There are more JCM 800 clones than you can shake a stick at, so take your pick and dump the mids to about 2 while cranking your treble and your bass around 7. Then throw a tube screamer clone in front of that for tightness and ta-da, Metallica with Burton. For the later stuff, you'll want a Mesa Boogie clone (I think they use Dual Recs now but I can't remember) with similar settings. Then just tweak/EQ until you're happy.

E: Can't vouch for it but try this

E2: Actually, what kind of setup are you working with right now?

Declan MacManus fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 23, 2014

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Declan MacManus posted:

Depends on what era of Metallica you want, really. There are more JCM 800 clones than you can shake a stick at, so take your pick and dump the mids to about 2 while cranking your treble and your bass around 7. Then throw a tube screamer clone in front of that for tightness and ta-da, Metallica with Burton. For the later stuff, you'll want a Mesa Boogie clone (I think they use Dual Recs now but I can't remember) with similar settings. Then just tweak/EQ until you're happy.

E: Can't vouch for it but try this

E2: Actually, what kind of setup are you working with right now?

I basically have no idea what I'm doing. I have an electric, which I plug into a Roland audio interface which connects to my computer. And then I open my DAW (Ohm Studio) and record. And then throw VSTs on top of a rack to change the sound from just a standard guitar.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Razzled posted:

I basically have no idea what I'm doing. I have an electric, which I plug into a Roland audio interface which connects to my computer. And then I open my DAW (Ohm Studio) and record. And then throw VSTs on top of a rack to change the sound from just a standard guitar.

Oh, okay. Well, I don't want to overwhelm you too much with recording stuff, so what I will say is that you want to pay attention to what your cab sims are and experiment with mic placement (which any guitar sim worth its salt should let you play with).

Here is a handy chart to give you some guidelines for equalization (which is necessary to make your guitars sit well in a mix). If your current VST doesn't let you mess with that stuff, I think Amplitube has a free version that you can mess around with. I will say that from listening to samples on the SimulAnalog website that I'm not a huge fan of how it sounds, so that could be the problem. Here are better sims that might get you closer to the sounds that you want.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I fuckin' did it, completed Amplitube CS fully. I was only missing the Zvex pedals and I don't REALLY super need their real world counterparts for anything I personally do, but what the hell, I can dick around with them now and if anyone else wants to use them, fine by me.

More noteworthy though, I finished T-Racks CS too, including the new Sontec MES 432c emulation, which is really surprisingly fantastic. I say "surprisingly" not because IKMM is bad at modeling and I expected it to suck - FAR from it, I love their gear - but rather because the thing that it offers to usually mastering engineers is kinda subtle, the features are aimed at basically being as awesome as possible in the analog domain with absolutely minimal THD, crosstalk, SNR, etc., and stepped potentiometers for everything it does. The first real parametric EQ. This thing is am-az-ing.

There are a lot of good EQs out there. I had my eye on this one for some precision work and I still may nab it, Dave is a great programmer and knows his stuff inside and out - http://dmgaudio.com/products_equilibrium.php. And anyway, I have a lot of great EQs! Linear phase parametric, dynamic multiband with all sorts of shapes, non-linear parametric, and of course all the other character EQ options in T-Racks CS that I'm not mentioning in this post, as well as some assorted other devs' gear.

I have never used one that made it so easy to very quickly accomplish precisely what I'm trying to do, and I have some really nice parametric EQ options in the digital realm. It even nails the sort of very light high-end sheen that the 260/432 puts on material, which gives a bunch of tracks all mastered with it a cohesive sound. I'm in EQ love :heart: It's heavy on the CPU, but considering it's largely intended for some great filters plus a few bands of +/-6dB with surgical precision and imparting that treble ... mojo, je no sais quoi, sparkle, "FINISHED" sound across all tracks, I think being "heavy on the CPU" is pretty relative. It does offer up to +/-12dB and it sounds excellent when boosting... Its introductory price is $150/120 credits, and a video of it on youtube shows it going up to like twice that, so if you're interested and you happened to nab a bunch of credits in a group buy at some point, I'd pick that particular unit up now rather than wait around for it. It just sounds so damned good.

The stepped pots thing I guess is intended to be an easy analog feature for recall, and maybe that's easier with variable pots in the digital world than it is in the analog one, maybe it's not necessary - but maybe it really, surprisingly helps nonetheless to be able to see the numbers that precisely instead of eyeballing a curve and moving it around. And it helps to be limited to 6, or 9, or 12dB, because it stops you from going too far in any one direction. I'm finding the +/-6dB mode to be extremely useful because it keeps EQ where it ought to be (in terms of parametric EQs): constrained more to necessity, something you use to correct an unwanted sound, not as an effect. This is not a character EQ, but it has character anyway that sounds consistent across tracks. It's hard to explain any better so I'll stop here. I dunno, thing just shines

There is a bug in some hosts right now where L/R and M/S aren't retained correctly when switching modes, but they know about it and I expect a hotfix pretty soon with the kind of attention the 432 EQ has been grabbing.

The other thing I was missing was the White Channel. I had to pick British Channel or White Channel last time I made a purchase and I feel like I got the one I should have waited for, as I've had several opportunities to use the White Channel's feature set and not as many to use the British Channel's overall sound and less precise gate and different behavior when driven. Ah, well.

T-RackS might have been kind of a joke a long time ago but these days this stuff is really, really good. They hold up very well in comparisons to hardware, let alone in comparisons to other plugins. Very happy with the full package (for now, heh).

They also updated the saturation behavior at extremes and pretty much every T-Racks CS plugin benefits from that (except, ironically, maybe the 432 because it's so clean). Much more pro sound even when dealing with less than ideally tracked material. It's some kind of big under the hood overhaul that they aren't going into a ton of detail about but which pretty clearly changes a LOT, not hard to test that theory and find out for yourself.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Is using an iLok dongle a largely hassle-free experience? I've been looking into drum triggering and Slate Trigger 2 seems to offer the best value for money but it requires an iLok to run. Even with the additional $55 for what an iLok 2.0 would cost me the package is still a pretty good deal but I'm loath to introduce anything into my studio setup that could cause instability or other issues. Also I'm running a hackintosh which shouldn't matter really but I don't know if these dongles take system info or anything into account for their protection schemes (like windows activation) and whether it would wig out when the specs of my system only marginally meet what a mac is meant to be. Lots of alliteration in that sentence.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

RandomCheese posted:

Is using an iLok dongle a largely hassle-free experience?

For almost everybody, yes. Just don't lose it. :)

Edit: A seen below, potential differences of opinion vary strongly. I've never had issues, but I definitely would have during that downtime - which is loving unforgivable in terms of destroying a studio's workflow for that long, since highly iLok invested studios tend to use multiple products from the same developer, and developers like to standardize to a single copy protection scheme. I didn't even know about it because I was laid up with a severe spinal injury and had rather different priorities. Hopefully Pace has taken measures to improve their uptime, maybe even off an uptime guarantee as a matter of goodwill, but (most) everything you use suddenly becoming deactivated would be a massive turn off from the iLok system, no doubt.

I wasn't aware that iLok had moved to an always-on internet connection requirement, either; I wonder how recent that is. I'm glad now that I've already found replacements for everything that was previously iLok. Could you imagine getting some sort of zero-day exploit on your computer with a malware delivery package including cryptolocker and suddenly having to pay hundreds of dollars unless you are 100% on point with cold backups and can get them up and running within the limitations only of the transfer speed of your media? Internet-facing studio computers are a pretty bad damned idea, and even call & response server authorizations from all major companies usually offers an offline authorization method using a third-party computer for the actual authorization part.

When did iLok move to all online, all the time?

Agreed fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Feb 28, 2014

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
Also hope that the iLok servers never go down like they did for 2 months last year. Then you own't be able to use your poo poo.

Signed respectfully, an audio professional who will NEVER touch anything which requires a dongle.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

For my personal use, I like the dongles, because I can switch between computers and operating systems without burning through activations (for example, I am not able to install my legally purchased copies of Ableton Live 8 or 9 anymore at the moment without begging Ableton for more activations). I also prefer it to several challenge/response methods I've had to use. It took me an hour to register the Korg Legacy Collection plugin bundle because of their Rube Goldberg activation scheme. The reason I'm still using my 4-year-old DAW PC because I don't want to have to re-register all my non-dongled software again.

The iLok fuckup last year WAS enormous, but for most of the time it only affected people who migrated to PACE's new license manager or were attempting to transfer licenses to/from other users. If you had the previous iLok version installed and your products were already activated, you could still use your products. I don't remember hearing that anyone actually permanently lost any licenses from that. So, yes, it was terrible while it was happening for many iLok customers, but not as bad as I guess it could have been.

Also, almost certain iLok doesn't have to be online all the time. This requirement would kill many DJs and gigging musicians (or force them to use cracked versions of software when playing live at some venues). PACE also offers non-dongle/soft licensing now, but whether it's available is at publisher discretion, on a per-product basis. UVI offers it on some of their newer instruments.

At the moment my only complaint with the dongle method is that there's not one universal type. I have an eLicenser, an iLok, and a generic thumb drive (for Waves) hanging out the back of my primary DAW box.

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Feb 28, 2014

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

renderful posted:

Also hope that the iLok servers never go down like they did for 2 months last year. Then you own't be able to use your poo poo.

Signed respectfully, an audio professional who will NEVER touch anything which requires a dongle.

Cubaaaaaaaaaaaase :argh:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

All the more reason to look into those cheap plugins that just use a serial number and/or one time activation.

When NI released Driver for free, I passed on it because of the copy protection. And I imagine that was one of the less annoying ones in the scheme of things. I just can't deal with that poo poo.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

I like how Audio Damage just removed DRM from their plugins entirely.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This is why you should take care what plugins you buy. Seriously, as a programmer and general computer guy the DRM-hell that is VST's hurts my brain. It's a similar issue to what's going on with games these days, but unlike gamers we don't really have a lot of tech-savvy people to call the companies out on their bullshit.

Easiest way to be able to actually use the plugins you bought, wherever you might need them..? Pirate them :yum:

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

From Waldorf's Facebook page:

quote:

(German) Gute Nachrichten für Largo- und PPG-User: Die 64-Bit-Versionen sind jetzt im Beta-Test und zur Musikmesse als final angekündigt - Markus (Hinweis: Tippfehler geändert)

(English) Good news for Largo - and PPV (PPG Wave 3.V) users: the 64-bit versions are now in the beta test and the Musikmesse than final announced - Markus (Translated by Bing)

Hell freezing over, pigs flying, etc.

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 3, 2014

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Unnnnnnnnnnghhhhhh that's some tasty news.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

Ooooh, now to decide between Largo and PPG Wavegenerator.

I'll probably grab Kaivo first, anyway.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

renderful posted:

Ooooh, now to decide between Largo and PPG Wavegenerator.

I'll probably grab Kaivo first, anyway.

Kaivo and Aalto are the best VST synths ever made, so, yeah, this is a good idea.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Oldstench posted:

Kaivo and Aalto are the best VST synths ever made, so, yeah, this is a good idea.

I watched the Kaivo video and I never want to hear that dude say sonic... exploration ever again.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Swagger Dagger posted:

I watched the Kaivo video and I never want to hear that dude say sonic... exploration ever again.

I haven't seen the video you're talking about, but drat, you can do some serious sonic exploration in Kaivo.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Oldstench covered this already in the synthesizers thread, but Kaivo is out now!

:siren: GO GO GO GO GO!!! :bandwagon: :siren:

Oldstench posted:

The first version wouldn't even run on my machine. Windows 7 32-bit, i5, Live 9.1. Randy sent me some other builds to help figure out what was going on and I think he's nailed it. Still takes about 50% of my CPU for 4 voices, and I have to disconnect my wireless internet dongle or I get pops and crackles, but it's worth it.
Kinda the only thing holding me back from Buying It Now is whether it'll be punishing on my laptop, which is similar to the specs you mentioned above: Windows 7 64-bit, i5, 8 GB RAM, Live 8 & 9, a bunch of other BS.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

minidracula posted:

Oldstench covered this already in the synthesizers thread, but Kaivo is out now!

:siren: GO GO GO GO GO!!! :bandwagon: :siren:

Kinda the only thing holding me back from Buying It Now is whether it'll be punishing on my laptop, which is similar to the specs you mentioned above: Windows 7 64-bit, i5, 8 GB RAM, Live 8 & 9, a bunch of other BS.

Runs like a champ at up to 7 voices with complex modulation routings now. He optimized the gently caress out of it.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Heads up Windows users, 32-bit or 64-bit, and sorry Mac users: cool new amp sim freebie!

This is an emulation PLUS (more on that later) of the mighty interesting Fender Frontman 25R solid state practice amp, of all things. I was a beta tester for this one and asked him why he wanted to do a Fender Frontman 25R, when clearly his talents are quite a bit broader, and he told me the quote he has on the web page for the amp model:

AXP aka SoftAmp posted:

[The] Frontman 25R was the first guitar amp I've ever owned. To my best knowledge its digital model did not exist, so I decided to fill the gap. And after all, who needs yet another incarnation of say, JCM800? :)

Click the image to go to the download page on AXP's site.

The model is feature complete, and then some. It includes the amp, an expanded stereo spring reverb tank (in mono mode, it uses the amp's original spring reverb tone - in stereo mode, well, just try it for yourself, you'll see, it's neat!), and cabinet emulation, selectable between the original 1x10" combo speaker or an external 2x12" speaker cabinet or neither. It also has a totally loving awesome "AXP mod" switch that turns it into some kind of badass tube amp by replacing all the solid state clippy bits with his triode emulation, and re-voicing the EQ to turn it into a totally different cool amp model. I was a beta tester for the whole process and had no clue that this last bit was coming, he kept it under his hat until release and it turned out great :) I will take credit for the suggestion to allow for switching between the 1x10" open back original cab or the 2x12 external cab sim, but only in the sense that he ran the idea by me and I said "yeah that sounds like a good idea."

It also has a very fancy manual with graphs that would make Ross Perot jealous, including frequency response graphs and good explanations of features and all that good stuff that you usually associate with paying money for. Seriously, this dude knows his poo poo. So those links up there in bold, before the amp, download those plugins too while you're at it and enjoy 'em if you haven't ever come across them before. I hadn't, and I actively try to keep up to date with all sorts of freeware developments, especially modeling-related stuff. :shrug: Apparently he just never advertises his software but his expertise is quite apparent.

Usage cases include: whatever you want - yeah, it's a guitar amp sim, so run a guitar through it, but it's also great for dirtying up a synth through it, or just turning it way up on its own to generate noise (potentially with reverb!); think it and it can be. The Power is Yours.

okay now heads down there's a sniper

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
You people werent joking about the Klanghelm SDRR - I actually prefer it to Soundtoys Decapitator. Extremely good value at 22 euros as well.

Thanks guys!

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

You people werent joking about the Klanghelm SDRR - I actually prefer it to Soundtoys Decapitator. Extremely good value at 22 euros as well.

Thanks guys!

I finally bought it after you posted this. It absolutely owns bones. I prefer it to Decapitator also, the SSDR is like a filet knife and decapitator is a meat clever.

Does anyone else notice that it's oddly CPU intensive though? I start getting CPU errors when I have a few instances running but only if I'm actually looking at it, If I close it I stop getting them. I guess the GUI is very graphics heavy.

How's the compressor? My interest in this guy is certainly piqued now.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Well thanks for the reply dicks.

I kid. Anyway I just bought the compressor and mixed a track with it today. It is easily the best bus compressor I own now. It's the most flexible by far and you almost have to try to make something sound bad with it.

That being said, as with the SDRR, it is similarly, if not more CPU heavy. My 2Ghz i7 will start crashing after 2-3 instances of it running.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Sorry man I didn't have anything else to add an already evangelized the poo poo out of Klanghelm. The bee's knees, imo.

Does seem to respond better to fewer faster cores than many slower ones, though, yeah. That is not uncommon with the development framework being used there, which is kind of ironic since it's a cockos product yet Reaper started life with one of the most prominent goals being "don't suck at multithreading, EVER" because the dude behind it made it on an old Opteron-based octocore system. Well, that's the host, not the plugin, anyway.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
It's a huge deal I guess, it'll force me to sum in my console more and force me to just make decisions and stick with them.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I have two requests for the wizards here.

1) Is there any sort of plugin that will take MIDI in and try to analyse what key the piece is in?

2) I need some awful choir sounds. The cheesiest poo poo possible, while being recognizable as an attempt at a human voice. Any plugins/samples you guys can recommend?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Make choral samples sound artificial by: chopping off the attack phase and only use the looping part. Use an envelope with almost instantaneous attack and release. Map one sample per octave. Do not use reverb or delay on it.

Or record yourself singing ooooh and aaah and put it in a sampler using the above techniques for maximum comedy.

Any general midi soundfont or sampleset will have two lovely patches of choral sounds. If you've got a sampler plugin that will take SF2 or SFZ, it shouldn't be hard to find something terrible for free. The smaller the filesize the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Not that anyone but professional mastering engineers should attempt mastering, but Ian Shepherd's Perception plug-in sure is the bee's knees for accurately assessing the impact of a processing chain for those of us who happily ignore best practices :

http://productionadvice.co.uk/perception/