Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
If this does go on Live marketplace/games-on-demand, what time would that be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...
The usual time is 9:00 AM GMT. There may be up to an hour delay for it to work through content caches though.

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012
So to anyone who has the ps3 version, what happens with splitscreen and unlocks? I think I saw that it wouldn't save the second player's unlocks, but do they start from 0 every time, or go off my unlocks?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Is there still a lone Godzilla mission for you to cheese higher difficulty guns out of with Pale Wing?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Spike Catapult. Just... Just Spike Catapult.

I have never laughed so hard at a weapon in a game before.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
That Preorder and Goon tag can't come fast enough! I NEED TO DUAL-CHAIN GUN BUGS AND GET INTO PUSH-UP COMPETITIONS WITH EDF SQUADDIES!

boblemoche
Apr 11, 2008
Does anyone know if the US version can play online with a japanese version ?
A friend of mine has a japanese version and playing with him would be sweet.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

dis astranagant posted:

Is there still a lone Godzilla mission for you to cheese higher difficulty guns out of with Pale Wing?

The easiest farming mission I found for fresh characters was 11. Just wait by the space needle for the soldiers to thin out the 3rd wave of ships and revel in the loot.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yes, but that doesn't involve riding Godzilla like a rodeo bull.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I regret not preordering through amazon because tomorrow I will have to drive through a slushy mix to buy this. No matter, one should sacrifice for greatness.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
You might be able to just buy it digitally. I probably would have gone that route, but Amazon is too easy to do.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

boblemoche posted:

Does anyone know if the US version can play online with a japanese version ?
A friend of mine has a japanese version and playing with him would be sweet.
I really want to know too (I have the JP version) but it seems no one knows yet. People speculate that it won't, which would be a kick in the nuts.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 18, 2014

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

I guess we'll find out tomorrow. Anyone on ps3 feel free to add me: Super_Aggro_Crag

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
Popped by a Gamestop to see if they were breaking street date. No dice. I did preorder for pickup tomorrow, and just now realized there would be a preorder bonus.

quote:

Pure Decoy Launcher [Setsu]

A weapon that distracts the enemy by discharging a large balloon that takes the shape of an attractive female and acts as a decoy, used to lure enemies into an area for a pending air raid for a limited time.

A blow up doll. The preorder includes a blow up doll for the air raider class. I really hope it's an attractive female ANT. Maybe an ant with lipstick.

On the other hand, a blinged out gold-plated Vegalta is pretty cool.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Isn't it the blow up doll in the OP?

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Philthy posted:

Yeah, at least that's the picture amazon has up for it.

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

Philthy posted:

It is, which makes it all the more amusing.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

MassRafTer posted:

I regret not preordering through amazon because tomorrow I will have to drive through a slushy mix to buy this. No matter, one should sacrifice for greatness.

We might be in luck. This is the first sentence on the marketplace overview for it: "The Games on Demand version supports English."

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
Man the last game really sucked and while I loved the one I played previously to that I think I'll have to wait and see.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Mugaaz posted:

Man the last game really sucked and while I loved the one I played previously to that I think I'll have to wait and see.
If the one you liked was EDF2, aka Global Defense Force, definitely get this because it's a super-remake of that.

edit: just so everyone's clear, there's

EDF1/Earth Defense Force, remade as EDF3/EDF2017

EDF2/Global Defense Force, remade as EDF4/EDF2025.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Welp, I should probably quit replaying EDF2 and get back to hollering for a pc release.

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

If the one you liked was EDF2, aka Global Defense Force, definitely get this because it's a super-remake of that.

edit: just so everyone's clear, there's

EDF1/Earth Defense Force, remade as EDF3/EDF2017

EDF2/Global Defense Force, remade as EDF4/EDF2025.

And then there's EDF: Insect Armageddon, which was made by an entirely different developer with absolutely no connection to the people that normally make this series.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Yalborap posted:

And then there's EDF: Insect Armageddon, which was made by an entirely different developer with absolutely no connection to the people that normally make this series.
I left it out for a reason.

edit: what that game did that made it a loving disaster was to add in modern (dumb) shooter concepts like waypoint-driven stages and invisible walls that only go away when you've killed all the enemies. I wanted to physically hurt the developers for doing that.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Feb 18, 2014

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is there any chance of this appearing on the Playstation Store? I'd like to play it, but finding a physical copy where I live will probably be difficult.

Jehuti
Nov 19, 2010

Bardeh posted:

Is there any chance of this appearing on the Playstation Store? I'd like to play it, but finding a physical copy where I live will probably be difficult.

Yes in the NA store atleast. They confirmed it on the drop.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/02/16/the-drop-new-playstation-releases-for-february-18th-2014/

Computer Opponent
Nov 29, 2002

Nothing's gonna ever keep ya down!
My two copies of this are on a mail truck right now, and that makes me positively giddy.

But I'm not here to talk about 2025. I've got the next 3 or 4 years to do that.

When I first got my house, a few friends and I started playing 2017 on my lovely little tv in the living room. I decided that the setup wasn't doing the game justice, so I moved the Xbox outside to the enclosed porch, nailed a bed sheet to the ceiling, hung up a projector that came out of the trash at work, cobbled together a surround-sound setup out of mismatched speakers, and put out some deck chairs.

My friends, if you enjoy EDF, you need to hook that poo poo up outside on a projector.

But I'm not here to slobber on 2017's sack. YOU'VE all taken care of that many times over. That cookie is right-loving-soaked.

I'm here to talk about Insect Armageddon. More specifically, the fact that you bitches have the cheek to act like it doesn't belong at the dinner table.

And why? Because it wasn't as good as the game of the generation? It was shorter? The story ended abruptly and didn't give you the emotional closure that you felt the game's fascinating plot deserved? Are you so intoxicated by your own farts that you can honestly say 2017 was GOTG, but IA was awful? They were SO different?

It was a loving EDF game. And by virtue of that alone, it was better than nearly every other game on the shelf. Were you so spoiled by 2017's impeccable production values that you assumed it's follow-up would be held to that impossible standard?

I didn't realize that we'd become such discerning connoisseurs of the "budget titles about blasting the gently caress out of gigantic insects and robots" genre that we'd be turning our noses up at a game like IA.

It wasn't perfect, but holy poo poo get over yourself if you honestly couldn't enjoy it.

For those new to the series, you can safely disregard anybody who says Insect Armageddon was bad. They're just cranky because they hate having fun.

Oh my god I'm so goddamn excited that there's a new EDF game out.

Computer Opponent fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Feb 18, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Because it missed pretty much everything that made the other EDF games fun. It tries to be an EDF game but it fails at being one by being boring. It isn't about the plot or the length or anything like that. IT's just a boring game. EDF is fun in spite of being low-budget-as-well because they put a lot of effort and time into making it fun to play and IA just didn't do that. The fact that is has EDF on the cover doesn't mean it is a good game and I'm not such a fan of the franchise I'm going to like a game just because it is called EDF. (On the other hand I can enjoy games that are not called EDF but capture the sense of fun, like the Wii Norse mythology game.)

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
IA's inferno ending was pretty drat funny: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scsVrk7TBCg

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Just got my copy at my street breaking store. Played the first 7 missions as the Ranger and it owns.

Then I decided to try out the Wing Diver.

Giant insects :getin:

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Computer Opponent posted:

My two copies of this are on a mail truck right now, and that makes me positively giddy.

But I'm not here to talk about 2025. I've got the next 3 or 4 years to do that.

When I first got my house, a few friends and I started playing 2017 on my lovely little tv in the living room. I decided that the setup wasn't doing the game justice, so I moved the Xbox outside to the enclosed porch, nailed a bed sheet to the ceiling, hung up a projector that came out of the trash at work, cobbled together a surround-sound setup out of mismatched speakers, and put out some deck chairs.

My friends, if you enjoy EDF, you need to hook that poo poo up outside on a projector.

But I'm not here to slobber on 2017's sack. YOU'VE all taken care of that many times over. That cookie is right-loving-soaked.

I'm here to talk about Insect Armageddon. More specifically, the fact that you bitches have the cheek to act like it doesn't belong at the dinner table.

And why? Because it wasn't as good as the game of the generation? It was shorter? The story ended abruptly and didn't give you the emotional closure that you felt the game's fascinating plot deserved? Are you so intoxicated by your own farts that you can honestly say 2017 was GOTG, but IA was awful? They were SO different?

It was a loving EDF game. And by virtue of that alone, it was better than nearly every other game on the shelf. Were you so spoiled by 2017's impeccable production values that you assumed it's follow-up would be held to that impossible standard?

I didn't realize that we'd become such discerning connoisseurs of the "budget titles about blasting the gently caress out of gigantic insects and robots" genre that we'd be turning our noses up at a game like IA.

It wasn't perfect, but holy poo poo get over yourself if you honestly couldn't enjoy it.

For those new to the series, you can safely disregard anybody who says Insect Armageddon was bad. They're just cranky because they hate having fun.

Oh my god I'm so goddamn excited that there's a new EDF game out.

2017 summed up everything fun about shooting wave after wave of dozens of enemies, while avoiding the tedium that should be inherent in that concept.

IA summed up everything tedious about shooting wave after wave of dozens of enemies, while avoiding the fun that should be inherent in that concept.

The game added level grinding, made enemies trickle out slowly rather than coming at you all at once, and made stages last forever so you had less chances to change up your weapons. In a series built on such a basic concept, changes like these make a massive difference, and they were all awful changes.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I tried out the Air Raider. Neat, but nearly all the equipment I have is co-op focused. Does it become more solo friendly?

Not to say it is terrible; the ability to wipe out an entire city block via air strike is appealing. I may just save it when I decide to play online.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Never heard of EDF. Based on this thread got EDF 2017 off eBay and played first time today.

Only single player but this game is addictive fun! Going to have to do couch coop. Need to develop drinking game for this.

Thanks! 2025 on my radar as a friendly now

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I got an early copy of this over the weekend and its amazing. I was not a big fan of Earth Defense Force 2017 but the variety of weapons in this game, excellent co-op and the huge differences between the classes really make this game. Playing as a fencer makes the game maybe twice as difficult as a ranger but all the weapons you can equip them with are very satisfying.

My advice is play as the fencer until you unlock high altitude missiles and equip 2 of them then try and synchronise a launch with your friend against the biggest group of enemies you can find on co op. And watch out for the giant spider because those fuckers can hit you with a web from half a mile away.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

sethsez posted:

2017 summed up everything fun about shooting wave after wave of dozens of enemies, while avoiding the tedium that should be inherent in that concept.

IA summed up everything tedious about shooting wave after wave of dozens of enemies, while avoiding the fun that should be inherent in that concept.

The game added level grinding, made enemies trickle out slowly rather than coming at you all at once, and made stages last forever so you had less chances to change up your weapons. In a series built on such a basic concept, changes like these make a massive difference, and they were all awful changes.

IA was a good half of an EDF game. The problem is that they left a lot of levels out and failed to make up for the empty space. They tried to make up for this by making the levels longer but didn't really have a good idea of where they should begin and end.

This is evident when you realize the massive amount of grinding that they required. On Normal difficulty you would beat it at about level 2-3 on each class if you tried to keep them even. On Hard you would gain maybe a level on each class by the end. Level 5 up required beating Inferno quite a few times all the way through with every character solely being used for each run.

The loss of levels is also evident when you look at story/level progression. In 2017 you progressed through a day/night cycle (each level was a different and later time than the previous) and so it felt like you were moving along at a steady pace. IA has you linger at midday for about half the game then it's suddenly sunset and then night. The locations also wildly vary between missions. In 2017 the city saw a gradual increase in native destruction. The first level had all the buildings intact while the last few levels had most of them destroyed. IA didn't have any of this and add on to the fact that the story jumps ahead sporadically, it shows that there are large chunks missing, either intended for DLC or never finished.

The levels also had seemingly random cutoff points in IA. 2017 felt natural while IA's levels either randomly ended or lingered on too long. It feels like they were trying to make up for the gaps in the story/progression left by missing levels by mixing up the levels that made it into the final game. There's one mission I distinctly remember and it was fairly early on in the game. I believe it was the introduction of the gunships where after shooting a bunch of them down you were funneled into a riverbed/storm drain thing. On your way there the dialogue was closing up the mission and it felt like you were done. Once you got to the riverbed/storm drain, you had to fight a couple waves and it arbitrarily ended at a locked sewer gate.

I don't know the true story of IA but this is just what it felt like to me when I played it. The mechanics were solid and I honestly enjoyed the writing and VAs, it just felt like they ran out of time/money and had to leave a lot out then failed to account for that in the balancing.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Insect Armageddon was fun enough just because I could get it on steam and force 2 of my friends to play through it.

If this game ever comes out on PC I would be all over it.

WarpedLichen fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Feb 18, 2014

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012
So did anyone get it on PS3, and can they confirm how the splitscreen co-op is gonna go down?(Specifically, how weapon/armor drops are handled) I'd really rather not get the 360 out of storage, but I will if I have to for the Earth Defense Force.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oh right, I forgot how lovely D3 was.

They didn't actually get copies to Canada on time.

Edit: There's a Mission Pack up for sale on XBox Live. Is this the same pack they're giving away for free through that Facebook thing from before, or a different one? It's just called Mission Pack 1.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Feb 18, 2014

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Yeehaw, kids. It's out today. I'll be getting it around my lunch break, so I'll be checking the Metatag one last time before I play. Send your requests to :siren:HOWCANYOUMISS:siren: to find each other. Remember; The EDF will never surrender till the last of us falls!

EDF! EDF!

Computer Opponent
Nov 29, 2002

Nothing's gonna ever keep ya down!
Honest question: What in particular made 2017 so exciting that IA lacked?

Edit: nevermind, question answered.

Computer Opponent fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Feb 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Computer Opponent posted:

Honest question: What in particular made 2017 so exciting that IA lacked?

IA's missions were really long. The playtime was a lot closer than the mission count would make it seem, but long missions are undesirable because you can't change weapons mid mission.

They also tended to throw everything at you. In 2017 (and 2025) you have missions that are primarily Hectors, or ships, etc. so you can equip accordingly. In IA you were basically forced to take basic general purpose weapons every time, because you could end up against a UFO wave with a shotgun and sniper rifle.