Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

mcmagic posted:

I could probably trade for a few to replace the Abondons if I wanted to play this deck in any kind of tourney. I usually just think of Trouble as a great T3 play after you've dropped a Satyr Firedancer on T2 as it's only good late game against control decks. Do you play Oracle of the Bones? I screwed around with it on the side of the FNM tonight (that I won with MonoU splashing white) and I don't think Oracle is any good anymore. I'm sticking with the strombreaths.

I was pretty unimpressed with Oracle. Your best-case-scenario with him often was have Toil/Trouble in hand, drop him, Fuse-Cast for free (since Oracle lets you cast from hand for free). Otherwise, he was freebie casting burns you want to use on your opponent's turn which was usually set-back. Or worse yet, as happened in a few cases, opponents already had big guys sitting across the board and just paid Tribute since they could block or trade favourably.

The deck is definitely fun, but is often inconsistent since not drawing Satyr is a big set-back. I'm not sure how Stormbreaths are playing out in yours, but I've had some success with Young Pyromancer. More often than not, he's just getting you a bunch of blocking value (though sometimes some offensive value). Having said that, though, I don't feel like he's particularly critical to the deck's success either, and could drop him. Haven't played around with Stormbreath, though. How's it worked out for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Mikujin posted:

I was pretty unimpressed with Oracle. Your best-case-scenario with him often was have Toil/Trouble in hand, drop him, Fuse-Cast for free (since Oracle lets you cast from hand for free). Otherwise, he was freebie casting burns you want to use on your opponent's turn which was usually set-back. Or worse yet, as happened in a few cases, opponents already had big guys sitting across the board and just paid Tribute since they could block or trade favourably.

The deck is definitely fun, but is often inconsistent since not drawing Satyr is a big set-back. I'm not sure how Stormbreaths are playing out in yours, but I've had some success with Young Pyromancer. More often than not, he's just getting you a bunch of blocking value (though sometimes some offensive value). Having said that, though, I don't feel like he's particularly critical to the deck's success either, and could drop him. Haven't played around with Stormbreath, though. How's it worked out for you?

Strombreath is basically a 5 mana burn spell in the deck and I'm pretty sure that it's evasion is better than Oracle's haste + the ability to cast a spell for free that you can only use some of the time. I haven't tried the deck with Young Pyro but I haven't thought the ability to spit out 1/1 chump blockers is that great that it's worth the card. I would rather play the 4 Chained to the Rocks/4 Anger of the Gods that can deal with most things that you're going to be chump blocking anyway

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
MG.dec trip report:

3-2 again, and by the same means: lost to the good decks and crushed bad ones, though the way it went about felt very different from last time.

Last time the deck just didn't seem to...work. I wasn't working with as much removal as I'd like, kept drawing multiples of Purphoros, etc. This time, everything seemed to just...flow better.

Game 1 was against some weird U/G Evolve deck, winning 2-0. The less said about the deck, the better; it ran four copies of Bioshift. Notably, I got a double Trading Post-Ratchet Bomb recursion card draw engine going, so that was cool.

Game 2 was against Mono-U Devotion, losing 1-2. All three games played our pretty similarly: I'd blew up whatever creatures he drop to keep his devotion low and play semi-aggro with Young Pyro/Murder King and tokens. Unfortunately, in two games he played more copies of Master of Waves than I could remove. At least it was always close, and all three games I was actually playing Magic.

Game 3 was against the same G/R Xenagos-Monster deck from last week, losing 1-2. What a fun game! He practically obliterated my defenses game one, game 2 I fought back like a cornered animal, eventually putting us both in topdeck mode where I had given him two Horses and he sat at 4 life, but could not topdeck Purphoros (whom I had not draw all game - I had to use a Tutor to fetch him against Mono U, meaning I hadn't officially drawn him all tournament to this point) while he kept killing my soldiers with Mistcutter Hydras. I eventually drew Purph and killed him with the trigger, but goodness that was tense. Game three was even more of a slugfest, and here I made a critical mistake of trying to kill him a turn or so early with a soldier token, leaving no blockers for a topdecked Mistcutter Hydra. I wasn't mad; that game was so fun I high-fived my opponent immediately after his topdeck.

It sucked to lose to the same deck again (and to be so close to winning - my opponent had only three life when he topdecked the winning play), but honestly after two weeks of playing each other I think we both had too much fun. That, to me, was the biggest improvement made by the changes to the deck: it was playing smoothly and able to respond to threats as they came. The deck is no longer losing to the good decks like it doesn't belong, it's losing by thin margins and making it hurt before it does. :black101:

The last two matches were of little consequence; a black-red aggro deck that might have gone 2-1 if the pilot (whom I had actually helped with his deck a few weeks prior) hadn't made a mistake about Auras. Game 5 was against some U/B Mill deck with Phenax that was highlighted by a sole 3/1 flaming goat token getting the killing blow. :3:

MVP of the night? Young Pyromancer - he made a LOT of tokens, sent them into fights they probably didn't deserve to win, and got a few licks in himself and helped pressure opponents with early aggro backed by a wealth of removal. I was a little weary of him a few weeks back, but I'm now glad to have 4 copies of him in the deck. In close second was Ratchet Bomb; I don't know what it is about the card, but people seem to completely forget what it does. Several times did I watch opponents (this includes the Mono-U and G/R opponent) play either a second Nightveil Spectre or drop BTE-BTE-Voyaging Satyr, and all with a Ratchet Bomb with the exact amount of charge counters (or one activation at end of turn from achieving) to blow them all up.

No real changes planned for the deck after this week. It ran beautifully; I just need to stop making little mistakes that cost me games. MURDERGOATS.dec, y'all.

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

<Insert Witty Phrase Here>
My LGS put on a Standard day today for people to practice, if they didn't already go to the city for the PTQ that was on. We had 8 people turn up, so we played a three-rounder just for shits and gigs. I ended up going 2-1 and finishing third.

I played with BaronVonVaderham's Simic deck. When he says that it's a blast to play, he is not wrong.

First match was against a red/white deck. The guy playing it said that he just picked up the pre-con and fiddled with it a little bit. Notable play was having two Kalonian Hydras out, with a Polukranos (Monstrous), dropping an 11/11 Mistcutter Hydra, and then swinging with the house for 3 times my opponents' life total. Result: 2-0

Second match was against Turbo-fog Mazes end. I'd never seen this deck played here, and to see it here was a complete surprise. The really frustrating part was having a 300+/300+ Polukranos (I had two Kalonians out and swinging) and not being able to hit because fog or riot control. Really wish I could have had something like Flesh/Blood to just finish the game - twice! Result: 0-2

Third match was against a BWg deck. The guy who was playing is known for making off-kilter builds of stuff, and this was no exception. Basically a BW Control deck that splashed G for abrupt decay, Sylvan Caryatids, and a couple of other goodies. Also used a couple more creatures than I'd expect for control. After beating him comfortably game 1, I boarded for control, minus the Mistcutters, but adding in the bow of Nylea. I managed to get a surprised look from him when I dropped Aetherling and begun the beatdown. He had Ghost-daddy out, and the Whip, but just wasn't able to keep up. Result: 2-0

Overall, I really enjoyed playing the deck. And would happily drag it along to another FNM just to see how it stacks up against a larger meta.

Kafila
Mar 27, 2010

bhsman posted:

No real changes planned for the deck after this week. It ran beautifully; I just need to stop making little mistakes that cost me games. MURDERGOATS.dec, y'all.

Would you mind posting your updated list?

Tappedout is still down, and I couldn't find a definitive current list in the thread

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Kafila posted:

Would you mind posting your updated list?

Tappedout is still down, and I couldn't find a definitive current list in the thread

Here is his last post on it.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

I'm glad to see the deck getting some play. I've been really wanting to up the Hydra count, I think with Prophet enabling you to flash it in on end step and dodge and sorcery-speed removal it's a ridiculous card. Playing it that way gets around the ONE drawback it has: lack of haste. It's a must-answer threat that either wins you the game or taxes a black player's one-for-one removal, which is all upside to me.

I'm turning away from the realm of creatures for a bit, though. I just got tired of sitting there hoping my opponent didn't draw yet another answer to a threat I deployed, so I'm switching over to the one playing all the answers. Behold, tonight's new toy:

Deck: Grixis Control

//Lands
4 Blood Crypt
1 Island
4 Steam Vents
2 Swamp
4 Temple of Deceit
4 Temple of Malice
4 Watery Grave

//Spells
2 Anger of the Gods
3 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
2 Cyclonic Rift
4 Dimir Charm
2 Doom Blade
4 Dreadbore
3 Mizzium Mortars
2 Rakdos's Return
3 Thoughtseize
2 Ultimate Price
2 Whip of Erebos

//Creatures
4 Duskmantle Seer
4 Guttersnipe

//Sideboard
2 Duress
1 Thoughtseize
2 Bile Blight
2 Doom Blade
1 Anger of the Gods
2 Counterflux
3 Slaughter Games
2 Ętherling

Display deck statistics

We'll see how it goes. It obviously has amazing creature deck matchups, so the board is mostly for control and aggro.

I still like to brew my own, just like with beer, but at the same time I'm working on Bant Walkers because I miss winning. Working on tweaking a few things...BBD actually released a premium article yesterday and I was pleased that he suggested many of the same tweaks I came up with, most notably that Mistcutter just isn't that good in the deck and that you need one Aetherling in the main for game 1 in the mirror. I'm toying with running Beck//Call in the side since the deck's only early card draw is Jace, and I think the idea of playing Beck in response to an opponent's Elspeth +1 is hilariously useful...draw 3, but only had to tap 2 lands so I can actually play something I drew, unlike tapping out for Rev.

I just wish I could find Brimaz :( No one wants to part with theirs and I've had some really bad experiences with ordering from TCGPlayer lately that make me reluctant to resort to that. For now I replaced those with Glare of Heresy and some Negates. I'll post a tweaked list once I settle on one (I'm waiting on 50% of the deck to arrive in the mail, so I'm in no rush).

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

I've decided to tear apart my Murdergoats deck for now, and try to build a more controlling deck.

Deck: U/B Control

//Lands
6 Island
4 Mutavault
6 Swamp
4 Temple of Deceit
4 Watery Grave

//Spells
2 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
3 Cyclonic Rift
4 Dissolve
2 Far // Away
3 Hero's Downfall
2 Inspiration
4 Jace, Architect of Thought
1 Opportunity
3 Thoughtseize

//Creatures
2 Consuming Aberration
2 Disciple of Phenax
3 Liliana's Reaver
3 Omenspeaker
2 Prognostic Sphinx

//Sideboard
3 Bile Blight
2 Dark Betrayal
4 Dispel
1 Far // Away
2 Syncopate
3 Drown in Sorrow

Display deck statistics

There are some questionable cards in there, for sure. In testing, it's worked out pretty well, but I'm still not sold on Consuming Abberation. Liliana's Reaver is a fun card, but gets destroyed in some matchups. At the very least, both of those are cards that need answers from the opponent. Prognostic Sphinx is probably a more solid finisher, but it's a bit on the slow side.

The sideboard is kind of silly, but the Dispels are there for control matchups and have been working out okay. Syncopates were just kind of thrown in because I couldn't find anything else I had laying around, and I'll probably take them out, or move a couple of main board over one or two dissolves. Bile Blight and Drown in Sorrow are amazing against mono white or mono blue, so far. Mono black still gives me trouble.

Any suggestions?

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
Why tear it apart? Looks like very little of what you have in that list needs to be pulled form there.

here's where I"m at with the farm:

Deck: MURDERFARM!

//Lands
4 Blood Crypt
2 Temple of Malice
10 Mountain
6 Swamp
1 Mutavault

//Creatures
3 Akroan Horse
3 Purphoros, God of the Forge
3 Tymaret, the Murder King
4 Young Pyromancer

//Spells
3 Ultimate Price
4 Lightning Strike
4 Dreadbore
3 Mizzium Mortars
2 Anger of the Gods
2 Hero's Downfall
3 Molten Birth
3 Trading Post

//Sideboard
2 Dark Betrayal
3 Rakdos Charm
1 Mizzium Mortars
1 Drown in Sorrow
2 Anger of the Gods
1 Akroan Horse
1 Trading Post
4 Slaughter Games

Display deck statistics

I appear to be missing ratchet bombs and pithing needles.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, I think I hit a sweet spot with the mill deck. I think I need more testing against super fast aggro decks, but here we go:

Creatures
4 x Murmuring Phantasm
4 x Wall of Frost
4 x Phenax, God of Deception
2 x Lazav, Dimir Mastermind
2 x Duskmantle Guildmage

Spells
4 x Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
1 x Jace, Memory Adept
2 x Dimir Charm
3 x Ultimate Price
2 x Hero's Downfall
1 x Devour Flesh
1 x Far//Away
4 x Thoughtseize
2 x Duress

Lands
4 x Watery Grave
4 x Temple of Deceit
2 x Dimir Guildgate
2 x Mutavault
8 x Island
5 x Swamp

Ashiok is way better than people tend to estimate, especially when he has hand and creature disruption back-up. The deck top decks a lot better than I expected, and Dimir Charm is great early game to take out low drop fliers and great late game to fix your opponent's draw while dumping two more cards in the grave.

It is fun as poo poo though.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

YeehawMcKickass posted:

I appear to be missing ratchet bombs and pithing needles.

Definitely; they're both really useful. I'm also surprised to see people still running single-target damage spells, but that's me.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
It's because of the lack of bombs and not finding any Diabolic Tutors. I could have sworn I had two bombs. Must have traded them.

If I'm gonna run a burn spell, I'd prefer maximum damage.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

bhsman posted:

Definitely; they're both really useful. I'm also surprised to see people still running single-target damage spells, but that's me.

I'm too lazy to replace my Lightning Strikes, and I still like Mortars since it can sweep if I want it to. I think that's all the burn I'm running these days.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Trying to make a deck that capitalizes on the synergy between Domri Rade, Kiora, and Courser. Check it out--

26 Lands
4x Breeding Pool
4x Forest
2x Island
2x Mountain
2x Steam Vents
4x Stomping Ground
4x Temple of Abandon
4x Temple of Mystery

Creatures--18(+6)
3x Courser of Kruphix
4x Experiment One
3x Prophet of Kruphix
4x Sylvan Caryatid
4x Sylvan Primordial

Spells--10
4x Domri Rade
4x Kiora
2x Curse of the Swine

This leaves me with 54 cards. First iteration was running 24 lands and a network of Purphoros, Xenagos Walker, and Mistcutter Hydras but this deck doesn't generate a ton of explosive mana or devotion. What it should do, in theory, is ramp just a couple turns ahead whilst swimming in card advantage.
How does this look? What bombs should I throw in to round out the slots?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

C-Euro posted:

I'm too lazy to replace my Lightning Strikes, and I still like Mortars since it can sweep if I want it to. I think that's all the burn I'm running these days.

Oh, Mortar is fine (I run 3 in the current deck) since it's a bit more effective than Lightning Strike and can deal with stuff like Blood Baron and Smiter without requiring a Young Pyromancer and combat step, unlike Lightning Strike.

Also, it sweeps!

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

bhsman posted:

Oh, Mortar is fine (I run 3 in the current deck) since it's a bit more effective than Lightning Strike and can deal with stuff like Blood Baron and Smiter without requiring a Young Pyromancer and combat step, unlike Lightning Strike.

Also, it sweeps!

Well at our Saturday MTG session I played all of my friends using Murderhorse. Conveniently they play R, U, B and W devotion decks. Of the 4 the only one I didnt split with was the R devotion again! I definitely held out longer and Sideboarded in an extra Anger of the Gods and 3 Drown in Sorrow for one Doom Blade and 3 Heroes Downfall. Never saw any of the cards I sideboarded. If I could have wiped the board just ONCE things would have turned around. Maybe I need 2 more Mizzium Mortars and 2 less Dreadbore for that comp...4 damage will kill everything in the deck and being able to Overload gives it the edge.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Sharzak posted:

This leaves me with 54 cards. First iteration was running 24 lands and a network of Purphoros, Xenagos Walker, and Mistcutter Hydras but this deck doesn't generate a ton of explosive mana or devotion. What it should do, in theory, is ramp just a couple turns ahead whilst swimming in card advantage.
How does this look? What bombs should I throw in to round out the slots?

Cyclonic Rift, Xenagod, Zegana, Thassa, Polukranos are the usual dudes. Garruk? Arbor Colossus? Mix and match what you want.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Can't stop EDH deckbuilding! Cribbed from a few places, and added in some ideas from my Nekusar deck, to put together a rough Nath of the Gilt-Leaf stax/discard list. I know I have a bunch to cut and that's fine, just wondering if there's anything decent that I'm missing.

Deck: Nath EDH - Elves With No Hands!

Also need a little guidance on cutting stuff from my new Sygg, River Cutthroat ninjas deck. I posted it before but got no response, but whatever.

Deck: Sygg EDH - Ninjas Stole My Everything!

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I'm glad to see the deck getting some play. I've been really wanting to up the Hydra count, I think with Prophet enabling you to flash it in on end step and dodge and sorcery-speed removal it's a ridiculous card. Playing it that way gets around the ONE drawback it has: lack of haste. It's a must-answer threat that either wins you the game or taxes a black player's one-for-one removal, which is all upside to me.

I'm turning away from the realm of creatures for a bit, though. I just got tired of sitting there hoping my opponent didn't draw yet another answer to a threat I deployed, so I'm switching over to the one playing all the answers. Behold, tonight's new toy:

Deck: Grixis Control

//Lands
4 Blood Crypt
1 Island
4 Steam Vents
2 Swamp
4 Temple of Deceit
4 Temple of Malice
4 Watery Grave

//Spells
2 Anger of the Gods
3 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
2 Cyclonic Rift
4 Dimir Charm
2 Doom Blade
4 Dreadbore
3 Mizzium Mortars
2 Rakdos's Return
3 Thoughtseize
2 Ultimate Price
2 Whip of Erebos

//Creatures
4 Duskmantle Seer
4 Guttersnipe

//Sideboard
2 Duress
1 Thoughtseize
2 Bile Blight
2 Doom Blade
1 Anger of the Gods
2 Counterflux
3 Slaughter Games
2 Ętherling

Display deck statistics

We'll see how it goes. It obviously has amazing creature deck matchups, so the board is mostly for control and aggro.

I still like to brew my own, just like with beer, but at the same time I'm working on Bant Walkers because I miss winning. Working on tweaking a few things...BBD actually released a premium article yesterday and I was pleased that he suggested many of the same tweaks I came up with, most notably that Mistcutter just isn't that good in the deck and that you need one Aetherling in the main for game 1 in the mirror. I'm toying with running Beck//Call in the side since the deck's only early card draw is Jace, and I think the idea of playing Beck in response to an opponent's Elspeth +1 is hilariously useful...draw 3, but only had to tap 2 lands so I can actually play something I drew, unlike tapping out for Rev.

I just wish I could find Brimaz :( No one wants to part with theirs and I've had some really bad experiences with ordering from TCGPlayer lately that make me reluctant to resort to that. For now I replaced those with Glare of Heresy and some Negates. I'll post a tweaked list once I settle on one (I'm waiting on 50% of the deck to arrive in the mail, so I'm in no rush).

Well, this didn't go too well. Finished 3-2. My two losses were both to mono-black.

After board the games are actually really interesting, I bring out the Duskmantles for Aetherlings and more hand disruption. It's just rough because without Aetherling in hand I have to just keep hoping to survive to stick him. Underworld Connections is just unbeatable in that situation. Slaughter Games naming Gray Merchant buys a LOT of time, though.

I think I had some really lovely draws, there was one game in particular where I hit a cluster of 9 lands after Rakdos's Return for 4 on my opponent to dump his hand and we both did nothing for like 5 turns (I had 3 scry lands in there and scryed away land each time). Problem was he wasn't laying lands, he was stocking up kill spells.

lovely draws aside, it does need tweaking for the mono black matchup and BG. Those two just have such a high density of kill spells that the only win conditions are Ashiok and Aetherling. Ashiok is amazing in that match, except when my opponent is a friend of mine who is an actual wizard; every time I would Duress or Thoughtseize away a card, he would draw that exact card back the following turn (to the point where he reveals his next draw all the time after a Thoughtseize because it really does always happen). Remove your Downfall, play Ashiok on an empty board, mill a Pack Rat....draws Downfall. Nothing you can do.

Needs work, but I'm much more interested in tweaking Bant Walkers.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'm running MonoU with white splashed for DSphere and I was thinking about ways to answer mistcutter hydra. I know ratchet bomb is the most popular choice but would anyone give any thought to Divine Verdict out of the board? I've always felt that ratchet bomb is just a very clunky card...

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

mcmagic posted:

I'm running MonoU with white splashed for DSphere and I was thinking about ways to answer mistcutter hydra. I know ratchet bomb is the most popular choice but would anyone give any thought to Divine Verdict out of the board? I've always felt that ratchet bomb is just a very clunky card...
Ratchet Bomb is your best solution, since you can play it T2, crank, and leave it alone to deal with Mistcutters when they're a problem, likely only dinging one of your own guys in the process. This means you have an on-board solution available as early as T3, while not interrupting your ability to keep playing out your hand.

Verdict needs you to hold up mana in a deck that really wants to be tapping out to keep laying threats down. Would you rather tap out for a Master of Waves with Ratchet Bomb backup, or would you rather hold your mana up and maybe not play anything, meanwhile having a Tidebinder or Frostburn in play?

It's really a matter of slot efficiency at each CMC level, especially in a deck like MonoU where you want to be pumping out an on-curve threat at every CMC if you can.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Mikujin posted:

Ratchet Bomb is your best solution, since you can play it T2, crank, and leave it alone to deal with Mistcutters when they're a problem, likely only dinging one of your own guys in the process. This means you have an on-board solution available as early as T3, while not interrupting your ability to keep playing out your hand.

Verdict needs you to hold up mana in a deck that really wants to be tapping out to keep laying threats down. Would you rather tap out for a Master of Waves with Ratchet Bomb backup, or would you rather hold your mana up and maybe not play anything, meanwhile having a Tidebinder or Frostburn in play?

It's really a matter of slot efficiency at each CMC level, especially in a deck like MonoU where you want to be pumping out an on-curve threat at every CMC if you can.

The times I've died to mistcutter I had like 3 or 4 turns of it hitting me for 4-6 a turn while I can't do anything and had no answers to draw too so I don't even know if I would need to keep mana up until the mistcutter is already in play... Those decks also had ways to deal with a bomb just sitting there from T2 onward...

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 17, 2014

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

mcmagic posted:

The times I've died to mistcutter I had like 3 or 4 turns of it hitting me for 4-6 a turn while I can't do anything and had no answers to draw too so I don't even know if I would need to keep mana up until the mistcutter is already in play... Those decks also had ways to deal with a bomb just sitting there from T2 onward...

What Mistcutter decks are mainboarding artifact removal?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Mikujin posted:

Meh. I've seen a bunch of Gruul decks that sideboard Destructive Revelry to combat Detention Spheres and Ratchet Bombs.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Mikujin posted:

They are control shells that board 3 or 4 Mistcutters so they have access to DSphere and I've even seen Unravel in Aether played.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I'm down to the last 4 cuts in my EDH Goblins deck. Can you guys help me out?

http://deckstats.net/decks/1568/66585-edh-goblins-1-1/en

This is agonizing. :(

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Elephant Ambush posted:

I'm down to the last 4 cuts in my EDH Goblins deck. Can you guys help me out?

http://deckstats.net/decks/1568/66585-edh-goblins-1-1/en

This is agonizing. :(

Cinder Cloud
Goblin Tinkerer OR Shattering Pulse
Fissure
Bloodmark Mentor

That's what I would cut, at least. 5 CMC is too much for single-target removal even with a narrow extra condition. Tinkerer can't kill most artifacts worth killing without itself dying and you can't recur it, BUT it can be tutored. Bloodmark Mentor is a worse Legion Loyalist since you'll probably have Battalion every time you swing with Loyalist anyway. Plus you don't even need to attack to win, so if you really wanted to get crazy you could make some more tweaks around that idea.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

C-Euro posted:

Cinder Cloud
Goblin Tinkerer OR Shattering Pulse
Fissure
Bloodmark Mentor

That's what I would cut, at least. 5 CMC is too much for single-target removal even with a narrow extra condition. Tinkerer can't kill most artifacts worth killing without itself dying and you can't recur it, BUT it can be tutored. Bloodmark Mentor is a worse Legion Loyalist since you'll probably have Battalion every time you swing with Loyalist anyway. Plus you don't even need to attack to win, so if you really wanted to get crazy you could make some more tweaks around that idea.

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually ended up taking out the sweepers to get it to 100. I'm not sure why those were in there anyway other than for trolling.

While I was flipping through my binders looking for some of these cards to put in the deck, I stumbled across two more candidates: Burn at the Stake and Hellrider. I know that neither are goblin-related, but neither is Furystoke Giant. Both of those cards are potential one-hit kills with Krenko making GBS threads out tons of tokens all the time.

Any thoughts on putting those in? If so, what should I remove? My first thought was Blasphemous Act since it's my only remaining sweeper. However BA is also 1 mana when I cast it most of the time.

I'm leaving the Tinkerer in to eat Sol Rings, Sensei's Tops and anything else that's 1 mana. I'll even let him die to a good piece of equipment. Also, with all the cards in there that make all my creatures bigger I can potentially eat more expensive artifacts and equipment with him.

Why would I take out the removal? It's EDH so it's gonna be a lot slower than a Standard game. I'll have plenty of time to build up for that. Also Fissure can hit a troublesome non-basic.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I am thinking about running this at FNM this week: http://deckbox.org/sets/589812

Never played it before but the last few cards should arrive tomorrow. Tried to balance out what to cut to add two Brimaz and balance the land out. It's mostly cribbed from a big boros deck that won a GP or something a few weeks back. Was going to run my new R/w burn deck but my shop is flooded with R/G monsters right now and I don't think it would win. Would appreciate any comments on the deck or sideboard.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Decided to finish up a Ghost Council of Orzhov EDH Stax deck to start building alongside Jeleva to act as the meaner, 'board bully' deck to play alongside the more fun, combo-y Jeleva and a Thromok deck I'm building mostly because I have the cards for it, so I can. :v: And for the dumb pleasure of summoning Thromok, killing a player with Warstorm Surge, another player with Mage Slayer, and another with combat damage from a 144/144 Wurm. :black101:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I am thinking about running this at FNM this week: http://deckbox.org/sets/589812

Never played it before but the last few cards should arrive tomorrow. Tried to balance out what to cut to add two Brimaz and balance the land out. It's mostly cribbed from a big boros deck that won a GP or something a few weeks back. Was going to run my new R/w burn deck but my shop is flooded with R/G monsters right now and I don't think it would win. Would appreciate any comments on the deck or sideboard.

Young Pyro seems really weird in this deck, you only have 10 spells to trigger him.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Yeah, I'd say running Phoenix and young pyro is greedy when you're already relatively creature heavy. (Heavy for a deck running those guys.)

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

mehall posted:

Yeah, I'd say running Phoenix and young pyro is greedy when you're already relatively creature heavy. (Heavy for a deck running those guys.)

You guys are probably right. I'm thinking of taking out both hammers, then either reducing the number of helixes or chains and adding in 4x searing blood. All the hard hitters in the deck are t3 and up so I need some control in the first turns. Maybe lightning strike on main and searing bloods on sideboard in their place? Or something totally different.

Ed: made changes to maindeck and sideboard. http://deckbox.org/sets/589812

Fingers McLongDong fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Feb 18, 2014

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

You guys are probably right. I'm thinking of taking out both hammers, then either reducing the number of helixes or chains and adding in 4x searing blood. All the hard hitters in the deck are t3 and up so I need some control in the first turns. Maybe lightning strike on main and searing bloods on sideboard in their place? Or something totally different.

I haven't played anything as mixed as this, but the deck seems to be all over the place. If you want to go the control route, I would recommend dropping the Phoenix and YPs and put in a playset of Anger of the Gods. Maybe add in another Purphoros because it looks like your finishers are Elspeth/Assemble + Purph. You won't be doing much beating with just Reckoner and Brimaz, but they're really good on the defensive. Maybe you could make room for some Boros Charms just because it is a good card.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Can I ask why you chose Magma Jet over Searing Blood? I know the scry is good, but you will largely be using the 2 damage as removal, so I guess you weigh 3 damage to the opponent vs scry 2.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

AlternateNu posted:

I haven't played anything as mixed as this, but the deck seems to be all over the place. If you want to go the control route, I would recommend dropping the Phoenix and YPs and put in a playset of Anger of the Gods. Maybe add in another Purphoros because it looks like your finishers are Elspeth/Assemble + Purph. You won't be doing much beating with just Reckoner and Brimaz, but they're really good on the defensive. Maybe you could make room for some Boros Charms just because it is a good card.

Ive thought a lot about doing this so I might. The idea is supposed to be that you're well rounded g1, then g2 I can sideboard in more burn/control if I need it. I might try completely removing YP's and/or pheonix and opting for early game control into my 3 cmc stuff. I'm somewhat worried about trying that because there's a good bit of esper control played here. I also liked the combo utility they both have with purphoros. So you think maybe add 3 angers and 4 boros charms over YP and phoenix?

I think magma jet is better over searing blood here because of the scry. I love searing blood but it seems like having something to help make sure I can curve correctly into turn 3 has more overall utility in this deck.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Ive thought a lot about doing this so I might. The idea is supposed to be that you're well rounded g1, then g2 I can sideboard in more burn/control if I need it. I might try completely removing YP's and/or pheonix and opting for early game control into my 3 cmc stuff. I'm somewhat worried about trying that because there's a good bit of esper control played here. I also liked the combo utility they both have with purphoros. So you think maybe add 3 angers and 4 boros charms over YP and phoenix?

I think magma jet is better over searing blood here because of the scry. I love searing blood but it seems like having something to help make sure I can curve correctly into turn 3 has more overall utility in this deck.

You could always try the all burn-spell w/ Satyr Firedancer route. :v: It would remove the need for Mizzium Mortars, and you get ridiculous efficiency out of Searing Blood. Then for the control match-up, you can take out Searing Blood and Satyr Firedancer for Assemble and Chandra's Phoenix.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Some guys in the main thread were asking about Legacy Robots, which is a thing I play. It's a punchy little fast aggro deck which makes it pretty bad in the current competitive meta, but for local shop stuff it's perfectly fine.

Here is my current list: http://deckbox.org/sets/612634

Basically, I want to cheat on mana as hard as I can and shove them in the dirt before they can do something to stop me. Post-sideboard, I may bring in disruption, or I may decide that my only option is a race to the bottom.

suicidesteve posted:

I'm playing legacy this Friday with my terrible Affinity deck that refuses to work more than every 5 hands. Should be fun? Does anyone actually play Affinity in legacy?

My list is here:
http://deckbox.org/sets/601891
I just dropped the 4th Thoughtseize for the 4th Tezz, which was probably a mistake, but Thoughtseize's usefulness is hard to gauge in a hotel bed with nobody to play with.

Per my advice in the main thread, Master of Etherium is a huge vicious beating. He will be 6/6 or better easily, and he makes it more likely that your 0-power evasive creatures can attack profitably.

(Anecdote: I once got attacked by Emrakul, went to one life and sacced down to a single Master. The following turn I played a Vault of Whispers and attacked past the tapped Emrakul for game and match. Don't deprive yourself of this possible experience :getin:)

Cabal Therapy is usually going to hit them harder than Thoughtseize, but only if you know what to name, which is a delicate science. Any discard disruption should live on your sideboard - game 1 you want to rely on them not stopping you fast enough.

I can see cutting Memnite, as he is the worst card in the deck, but I like him at 4 to make the most explosive openings I can. He can be a pretty good sideboard slot when necessary.

I can't see cutting Thoughtcast. Thoughtcast is one of the best reasons to play this deck. Turn 1 Thoughtcast is a beautiful and non-difficult thing.

4 Tezzeret might be too many. I've never run more than one Ancient Tomb, so maybe I'm wrong, but he's lame in multiples, and just one that sticks for an entire turn is enough to close the game.

Academy Ruins is going to be kind of lame unless you're seeing a LOT of artifact hate. Don't underestimate Glimmervoid.

I've been running Stoneforge Mystic since I own them anyway, they get me three additional Cranial Platings, and they enable Batterskull in the sideboard.

I have no idea what you're doing with 4 Chalice of the Void. Ethersworn Canonist is a good pick, some number of Pithing Needle/Phyrexian Revoker is probably correct. Needle stops Wasteland, Revoker stops Lion's Eye Diamond, the body vs. casting cost argument is largely a wash.

Try to vary your graveyard hate as 4 1-ofs - this makes it harder to Cabal Therapy you effectively.

jassi007 posted:

I haven't finished my deck yet but this is what I'm planning on starting with.

http://deckbox.org/sets/571868

No mater of etherium? He's frickin huge with artifact lands.

You deleted this list or it's private or something, I can't see it at all.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

LordSaturn posted:

Some guys in the main thread were asking about Legacy Robots, which is a thing I play. It's a punchy little fast aggro deck which makes it pretty bad in the current competitive meta, but for local shop stuff it's perfectly fine.

Here is my current list: http://deckbox.org/sets/612634

Basically, I want to cheat on mana as hard as I can and shove them in the dirt before they can do something to stop me. Post-sideboard, I may bring in disruption, or I may decide that my only option is a race to the bottom.

Per my advice in the main thread, Master of Etherium is a huge vicious beating. He will be 6/6 or better easily, and he makes it more likely that your 0-power evasive creatures can attack profitably.

(Anecdote: I once got attacked by Emrakul, went to one life and sacced down to a single Master. The following turn I played a Vault of Whispers and attacked past the tapped Emrakul for game and match. Don't deprive yourself of this possible experience :getin:)

Cabal Therapy is usually going to hit them harder than Thoughtseize, but only if you know what to name, which is a delicate science. Any discard disruption should live on your sideboard - game 1 you want to rely on them not stopping you fast enough.

I can see cutting Memnite, as he is the worst card in the deck, but I like him at 4 to make the most explosive openings I can. He can be a pretty good sideboard slot when necessary.

I can't see cutting Thoughtcast. Thoughtcast is one of the best reasons to play this deck. Turn 1 Thoughtcast is a beautiful and non-difficult thing.

4 Tezzeret might be too many. I've never run more than one Ancient Tomb, so maybe I'm wrong, but he's lame in multiples, and just one that sticks for an entire turn is enough to close the game.

Academy Ruins is going to be kind of lame unless you're seeing a LOT of artifact hate. Don't underestimate Glimmervoid.

I've been running Stoneforge Mystic since I own them anyway, they get me three additional Cranial Platings, and they enable Batterskull in the sideboard.

I have no idea what you're doing with 4 Chalice of the Void. Ethersworn Canonist is a good pick, some number of Pithing Needle/Phyrexian Revoker is probably correct. Needle stops Wasteland, Revoker stops Lion's Eye Diamond, the body vs. casting cost argument is largely a wash.

Try to vary your graveyard hate as 4 1-ofs - this makes it harder to Cabal Therapy you effectively.

You deleted this list or it's private or something, I can't see it at all.

It was private, I unlocked it. So yeah, my list and your list are fairly similar. working with what I have, I'm running 4 ravager where your running 4 mystic. Someday I'll pick up a set of mystics, but not anytime soon. I am running 1 master 3 champion, I have 4 champions but only one mater. I will certainly work on getting more masters, he is obviously a lot better in legacy with artifact lands I can see that. My sideboard I'm sure needs some work, but I like to play a deck and get a feel, I really don't know the legacy meta at all. I play modern enough to have a reasonable grip on that meta, but I figured I might as well take my modern robots and make it legacy bots since it isn't that big of an upgrade. I had most of the parts anyway. So my short list will be to get 3 masters, 4 cannonists, then probably 2 or 3 cabal therapies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I mean this totally literally: What are you doing with 4 Chalice of the Void? What do you use them for? The other guy was doing that too, I don't get it.

It's possible that Arcbound Ravager should be on my list. I'll probably buy a set of them at some point to fill out the maybeboard. They're very good, it's just not the direction I chose to take with the deck.

I was running a Grixis list for quite a while, with Galvanic Blast and Shrapnel Blast - that build might have been more fun, but the superior sideboard options in Esper (Ethersworn Canonist, Rest in Peace) make it a very hard sell anymore. The main lesson I learned is that nothing feels better than saccing a wasteland target for value, which is something Ravager probably does pretty well.

I haven't played an event in a bit, and every local metagame is different, since there's so much monetary momentum keeping people from changing decks. Ask around what people are playing, and/or just show up and give it a shot.

• Locked thread