Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It just seems like I have to really strain my eyes to see any additional detail (such as the lines on Noriko's face). It's there, but something seemingly closer to a professional upscale from a better/cleaner source than my DVD. Though weren't the Bandai Visual GB DVDs based off of a relatively recent remaster?

Compared to: http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/62075

Unless Bandai Visual's Diebuster DVD release was just really bad originally. No clue about the CG parts though.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I think it's a combination of the gunbuster DVDs having a good master, and those diebuster DVDs using a lovely one.

Also gunbuster being traditionally animated is gonna have more texture at higher quality, even in the line work, where diebuster it just gets shaper / smoother / clearer. I think the noise in the DVD gunbuster is super obvious in that comparison, as opposed to grain in the BD, which is a totally different thing BUT is easy enough to confuse when its not in motion. The cockpit details are the easiest place to tell.

It's also a comparison between an upscaled and downscaled image. If they stretched the dvd out to the full 1080p the differences would be more striking.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Diebuster actually is an upscale, so I'm first going to question the scaler used to make that DVD->720p screenshot.

Gunbuster was animated traditionally, and the film was rescanned. However, I believe that shot is from an episode before 5, so it's 16mm film, and therefore really not worth getting over 720p in the first place. It's definitely sharper, whether there's significant detail that you couldn't see on the DVD or not. Compare shots from episode 5 or 6, as those were shot 35mm.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

AzraelNewtype posted:

Diebuster actually is an upscale, so I'm first going to question the scaler used to make that DVD->720p screenshot.
Just Photoshop's Bicubic Smoother. Going in the opposite direction (with Bicubic Sharper on the BD to downscale it) does seem to yield slightly less dramatic results.

Just mostly a better source I guess. Sure had me fooled.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

friendo55 posted:

Reposting from the Cinema Discusso Blu-Ray thread:

Can anyone elaborate on the Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day anime series? There's a new movie based off the series that's now released theatrically in Canada & US, and it caught my eye being that it's not something you see every day shown on the big screen.
Having only watched a few anime films myself, I've read it's not smart to see the movie before watching the TV series first. Is the series worth picking up as a blind-buy?

I haven't seen the movie yet, but from what I understand it's partly a recap/lookback and partly new scenes showing where the characters are now ("now" being one year after the events in the original anime).

No idea if you'd like the series or not, but I can't imagine the film would be all that enjoyable or even comprehensible without having seen it.

I completely loved the series, even if I doubt I'll go see the movie in the theater I'm fairly excited to watch it eventually.

It can be legally streamed on Crunchyroll if you're interested.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anohana-the-flower-we-saw-that-day

Bring tissues. :cry:

Edit: since this is the bluray thread, the discs are really nice and came with a bunch of artwork and stuff as per NIS' usuall thing.
Editedit: I completely missed NateRFB already posting about this!

a kitten fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Feb 11, 2014

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

friendo55 posted:

Reposting from the Cinema Discusso Blu-Ray thread:

Can anyone elaborate on the Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day anime series? There's a new movie based off the series that's now released theatrically in Canada & US, and it caught my eye being that it's not something you see every day shown on the big screen.
Having only watched a few anime films myself, I've read it's not smart to see the movie before watching the TV series first. Is the series worth picking up as a blind-buy?

I've seen the film, and while you technically could see it without having seen the series as it does do a lot of recapping of stuff, it very much glosses over things to the point where it assumes you're familiar with the smaller things. So really, I would say watch the series first.

I absolutely love the series, and would definitely recommend it. The price point is a little higher than something than, say, Funimation. However, NISA uses Justin Sevakis for their Blu-Ray's and he makes them look loving amazing compared to the other stuff that's out there and so getting that extra bit of quality is well worth the extra price tag in my opinion.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

AzraelNewtype posted:

Gunbuster was animated traditionally, and the film was rescanned. However, I believe that shot is from an episode before 5, so it's 16mm film, and therefore really not worth getting over 720p in the first place. It's definitely sharper, whether there's significant detail that you couldn't see on the DVD or not. Compare shots from episode 5 or 6, as those were shot 35mm.

Haha funny enough the only screenshots I took were from 5 and 6 (about 100 or so for wallpapers). I didn't know the first 4 were on 16 mm. Is there a trove of Gunbuster history out there I'm not aware of (please say yes).

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

All this talk about gunbuster and Diebuster may get me to buy it. Where's the cheapest place I can score that bluray? It's region free right?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

All this talk about gunbuster and Diebuster may get me to buy it. Where's the cheapest place I can score that bluray? It's region free right?

You can find the japanese one on amazon. IDK if that's the best price. Expect to pay a poo poo load either way, given import + japanese home media pries.

But honestly, unless you can understand japanese you'd be better served finding a fansub online. The gunbuster series hasn't been licensed.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I found a copy of the gunbuster movie on blu ray a few years ago, what's the difference between that and the show? If it isn't much, I would say that would be an option for people in the US.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Kingtheninja posted:

I found a copy of the gunbuster movie on blu ray a few years ago, what's the difference between that and the show? If it isn't much, I would say that would be an option for people in the US.

It cuts out most of the character development, specifically in the first few episodes, and the series bluray looks better. The same is true even more so in the case of diebuster, at least with regards to letting us get to know the characters and feel connected in any way to what's going on.

Certainly it's an option, but only in the same way the gurran lagann movies are an option instead of watching the series; if you haven't seen the series it kills a lot of the impact the big scenes have because they are tightly bunched together. Mind you both series and movie are available for sale in Gurren Lagann's case, but in terms of the story...

I'd say get the series rips and if you love them go out and buy the movie; it's probably the best way aside from mailing the licensor to support bringing over the series potentially at some point.

(it's worth noting that since, supposedly, the isolated SFX audio is missing, that part of the reason gunbuster hasn't been brought over in full is because a dub would require recreating all the sound effects from scratch, though I believe that may have been refuted at some point)

((seriously if you haven't seen the series' first you have to watch them instead of the movies it's a difference of an hour and a half each))

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 12, 2014

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Oh I saw the series first, probably 5 years ago. Thought it was great, that's why I nabbed the movie blu (also it was 10 bucks) when I saw it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The only good parts of the Gun/Diebuster movies were the various promo and box artwork that went with it.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Thanks for the input! Yea I had a friend yesterday tell me the exact same thing - don't see the movie before checking out the show - and be prepared to cry. I just know I saw Miyazaki's The Wind Rises on the big screen and was incredible to see, so I was looking for a similar experience. I'm gonna look into Crunchyroll and check out the series.

Is there somewhere in ADTRW that references the best anime to get you started?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
re: Gunbuster DVD-BD comparison

Shouldn't a comparison always be upscaled to the higher quality source's resolution, i.e. 1080p in this case? You will see improvement in quality if you downscale the BD but if you do it the other way around that's when the BD shines and it's easier to spot the differences in quality.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Right, in theory if a BD is an upscale and is from the same source as its DVD counterpart then blowing up the DVD and comparing it should reveal very few differences in the amount of detail. CLANNAD for example. If it isn't an upscale then there should be loads of additional detail observed in the BD shots and not just slightly sharper lines that you could probably imitate with a filter.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

friendo55 posted:

Is there somewhere in ADTRW that references the best anime to get you started?

Yes actually. The recommendation thread's first post has links to the ADTRWiki and a page on it just for people looking at anime and wondering what might be good to start with.

Plus you can of course just make a post in the thread asking for suggestions for movies or series to watch if you like.

Edit: the wiki is being funky today, so until that gets sorted out, just askin' is your best bet.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

a kitten posted:

Yes actually. The recommendation thread's first post has links to the ADTRWiki and a page on it just for people looking at anime and wondering what might be good to start with.

Plus you can of course just make a post in the thread asking for suggestions for movies or series to watch if you like.

Edit: the wiki is being funky today, so until that gets sorted out, just askin' is your best bet.

I should've mentioned in asking that, that ADTRWiki was either pretty empty or not working properly when I checked it out, so I was asking for an alternative. I will head over to that thread, thanks!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
man, where the gently caress can I find a subbed copy of the DYRL blu-ray? i know that poo poo aint licensed

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

TenementFunster posted:

man, where the gently caress can I find a subbed copy of the DYRL blu-ray? i know that poo poo aint licensed

Google BakaBT, they have pretty much everything that's translated and not currently ongoing, (unless it's licensed by Funimation anyway).

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Google BakaBT, they have pretty much everything that's translated and not currently ongoing, (unless it's licensed by Funimation anyway).

If BakaBT doesn't come through or you're in some kind of account silliness there and can't search them I've found Kickass Torrents has a decent amount of stuff as well.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Y'all need to get aboard the Usenet train. I found two 720p rips in seconds.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Sakurazuka posted:

thanks, got it. now all I need are the drat Mac 7 subs

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
okay why isn't there a US release of the Macross Plus bluray? I mean, they could put "STARING BREAKING BAD'S BRYAN CRANSTON" on the loving box for poo poo's sake

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

TenementFunster posted:

okay why isn't there a US release of the Macross Plus bluray? I mean, they could put "STARING BREAKING BAD'S BRYAN CRANSTON" on the loving box for poo poo's sake

Supposedly the only reason Macross Plus was ever released in the U.S. was some sort of loophole that saved the company involved from having to placate (read: pay off) Harmony Gold at the time. I imagine that might not necessarily be the case right now, and you'd have to renegotiate everything to include BD rights anyway.

wielder fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 22, 2014

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

wielder posted:

Supposedly the only reason Macross Plus was ever released in the U.S. was some sort of loophole that saved the company involved from having to placate (read: pay off) Harmony Gold at time. I imagine that might not necessarily be the case right now, and you'd have to renegotiate everything to include BD rights anyway.
my understanding is that Harmony Gold doesn't have the distribution rights to Macross Plus (and other non-SDF/DYRL properties) pursuant to a Japanese court case that I haven't read. Harmony Gold did trademark the term "Macross" in the US, so that trademark would need to be licensed. Last I checked, shouldn't Manga Ent. still have the distribution rights? Surely they know a Macross Plus bluray would be a strong seller. From the screenshots I've seen of the BD rip, it looks amazing.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

TenementFunster posted:

my understanding is that Harmony Gold doesn't have the distribution rights to Macross Plus (and other non-SDF/DYRL properties) pursuant to a Japanese court case that I haven't read. Harmony Gold did trademark the term "Macross" in the US, so that trademark would need to be licensed. Last I checked, shouldn't Manga Ent. still have the distribution rights? Surely they know a Macross Plus bluray would be a strong seller. From the screenshots I've seen of the BD rip, it looks amazing.

Manga Ent is full of poo poo lords and idiots. They sat on the rights for years and put out a poo poo version of End of Evangelion for fucks sake. They didn't even repress that poo poo to take advantage of Rebuild's popularity.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

HG is probably straight up refusing to license the trademark to anybody else who distributes video and I doubt Manga has the cash reserves or the desire to throw down with HG over it.

DamnGlitch posted:

Manga Ent is full of poo poo lords and idiots. They sat on the rights for years and put out a poo poo version of End of Evangelion for fucks sake. They didn't even repress that poo poo to take advantage of Rebuild's popularity.

This isn't helping their chances either.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

TenementFunster posted:

Harmony Gold did trademark the term "Macross" in the US, so that trademark would need to be licensed. Last I checked, shouldn't Manga Ent. still have the distribution rights? Surely they know a Macross Plus bluray would be a strong seller. From the screenshots I've seen of the BD rip, it looks amazing.

But that's the issue...Harmony Gold probably isn't going to license that trademark for cheap, which means an extra cost.

Manga Ent. or anyone else would have to deal with them, in addition to whatever the Japanese ask for the BD rights.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

For what it's worth, Macross Plus has been on Hulu for awhile.

I suspect that the BD rights are expensive, especially since Frontier did revitalize interest in the series over in Japan.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DamnGlitch posted:

Manga Entertainment as was no longer even exists, it's just a name and a logo to put onto DVD's in the UK because people recognise it. It's changed hands a few times but Kaze uses it at the moment and they're pretty decent distributors, despite milking stuff they think is going to be popular (Tiger & Bunny and SAO split into four sets for £25 each :rolleyes:).

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Manga Entertainment as was no longer even exists, it's just a name and a logo to put onto DVD's in the UK because people recognise it. It's changed hands a few times but Kaze uses it at the moment and they're pretty decent distributors, despite milking stuff they think is going to be popular (Tiger & Bunny and SAO split into four sets for £25 each :rolleyes:).

What about Manga Ent in the US? Are they just sitting on a boatload of IPs?

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
No, it's the same deal. They're a subdivision of Starz at the moment, and have no right to put out those movies you think they're so stupid for not reprinting. Movies, by the way, that nearly bankrupted them to get the license to the first time.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-03-12/nis-america-offers-toradora-blu-rays-with-english-dub

NISA doing their first dub with a premium release BD/DVD of Toradora (which Justin Sevakis stated on twitter also has previously unavailable OAV on it)

They're charging 100$ for it, but for the whole series, dubbed, and BD/DVD that's actually a pretty solid deal and not Aniplex levels of premium (150/140 for 13 episodes sets). I definitely will be double dipping for this, and now have to find someone who will maybe want to buy my sub DVD sets for a decent price.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Is the 2011 FLCL: The Complete Series still the best version available? Reading this thread and around the internet it seems people were disappointed with it. I'm assuming there's no way to access a better quality master than that one? In that case that's fairly depressing, but it's only $25 I guess...

http://www.amazon.com/FLCL-The-Complete-Series-Blu-ray/dp/B004DMIIPA

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

icantfindaname posted:

I'm assuming there's no way to access a better quality master than that one?
FLCL was animated digitally, probably at standard definition, so no Blu-Ray release of it will look that good. It was then upscaled with Q-Tec for BD release, which is horrible.
The King Records release might look slightly better just due to being 2 BDs instead of 1 (probably higher bitrate), but it's out of print, was $150 at release, and is still a Q-Tec upscale.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

FLCL was animated digitally, probably at standard definition, so no Blu-Ray release of it will look that good. It was then upscaled with Q-Tec for BD release, which is horrible.
The King Records release might look slightly better just due to being 2 BDs instead of 1 (probably higher bitrate), but it's out of print, was $150 at release, and is still a Q-Tec upscale.

I thought it used cell animation for most of it and CGI rendered at SD resolution for the CGI parts? Either way same result I guess.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
I have the Funimation release, which I'm pretty sure was done in-house. It looks okay, better than 99% of upconversions. It kind of reminds me of 16-to-35mm blow-ups, where the benefit is that you have a larger, brighter image, but have to deal with the inherent weakness of the original format.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

icantfindaname posted:

I thought it used cell animation for most of it and CGI rendered at SD resolution for the CGI parts? Either way same result I guess.

Wasn't Bebop the same case, though? IIRC that turned out OK, didn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Robert Denby posted:

I have the Funimation release, which I'm pretty sure was done in-house. It looks okay, better than 99% of upconversions. It kind of reminds me of 16-to-35mm blow-ups, where the benefit is that you have a larger, brighter image, but have to deal with the inherent weakness of the original format.

It wasn't done in-house, it is the source provided by the licensor, and therefore is the Q-Tec shitshow. They confirmed this on ANNCast in one of their many interviews.

• Locked thread