Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fish Shalami
Feb 6, 2005

What is shalami?

BrandorKP posted:

I would not even be talking about this stuff on SA if I didn't think I was well clear. Mostly I've just gotten in the habit of being all "how are they going to gently caress with me this year?"

And they kind-of hosed it up when they went after my class. But that's bad for you guys (unless they just make the same mistakes again)

Yeah what ends up happening is a bunch of classmates start talking about their problems with MARAD / the navy then one guy is sort of pushed into making all the phone calls/emails to find out what needs to be done, so he can then email it to the others. It tends to be the person who is the least hosed up as far as having things in order goes. That person can ask questions for the really hosed up people(without giving names), so they can figure out what to do without drawing unnecessary attention to themselves. I ended up as that person for the group of people I stay in touch with.

Just be careful (and it's sounds like you are being careful so this is more for other grads that might be lurking). In one of those conversations I got told that they considered a failure to do the eight year navy stuff a MARAD commitment breach even if it was after the five years specified in the MARAD contract. I also spent a lot of time talking to the navy asking questions (specifically to LCDR Cassano) He's not a bad guy, but I'm pretty sure he's got a spread sheet or some sort of database to keep track of who is compliant with the various SSRG requirements. And I think there is a schedule to go about separating people who are not complaint for too long. And I'm pretty sure he's sends all that information to MARAD.

I'm staying compliant with Navy side of things, MARAD though...not so much. I can only please one government entity at a time.

On a separate note, for those interested in robotic ocean science stuff, check out this company:

http://saildrone.com/

I can see these kind of platforms replacing research ships in some applications in the not too distant future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Cadet stupidity has reached new heights.
oval office jumped over the railings and loving ran on the main shaft while it was spinning.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Two Finger posted:

Cadet stupidity has reached new heights.

I got all reeved up to say something about how we were all idiots when we were cadets but then:

Two Finger posted:

oval office jumped over the railings and loving ran on the main shaft while it was spinning.

:stare:

How did he not die?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Im a fan.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Here's a video of the new STCW shore-based engine cadet training:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RBcHs-E5ZA

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
UK goons, what's the chances of finding a firm in Aberdeen that would put me through an Engineering Cadetship in the same city?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Yoshimo posted:

UK goons, what's the chances of finding a firm in Aberdeen that would put me through an Engineering Cadetship in the same city?

If staying in a specific city for an extended period of time if an important criteria in your job selection, this is not the industry for you.

I mean, you can have an address somewhere for the longest of time, but...

magpie
Apr 28, 2006

Yoshimo posted:

It's going to be offshore vessels then right? I knew plenty of guys with Vroon, Gulf Offshore, North Star and Farstad, sailing out of Aberdeen a lot of the time. The thing with a lot of offshore companies is they don't sponsor directly, instead they go through Clyde Marine or SSTG. I'm not sure but there might be some ferry companies operating out of Aberdeen too.

As far as studying in Aberdeen I have no idea, I never met anyone who studied there. Would that be Banff and Buchan college?

Chances? Getting your ideal company in your ideal town might be hard and cadetships are quite competitive at the moment. Apply to Clyde Marine and you might end up on a box boat sailing out of Hong Kong. It wouldn't hurt to contact companies directly to find out; SSTG in particular seem to have a lot more offshore companies though not exclusively.

Here's a website with some details of sponsoring companies: http://www.careersatsea.org/apply/sponsoring_companies.php

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

If staying in a specific city for an extended period of time if an important criteria in your job selection, this is not the industry for you.

I mean, you can have an address somewhere for the longest of time, but...

To clarify, my SO is starting a new job in Aberdeen. We are trying to figure out if there's a way I can do a cadetship without me living in a different city. Once the training is completed we would be able to be a lot more flexible about location.

Banff & Buchan/North Star do appear to do Cadetships so I'll give them a bell on Monday.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yoshimo posted:

To clarify, my SO is starting a new job in Aberdeen. We are trying to figure out if there's a way I can do a cadetship without me living in a different city. Once the training is completed we would be able to be a lot more flexible about location.

Banff & Buchan/North Star do appear to do Cadetships so I'll give them a bell on Monday.

Yeah, umm.... have you guys done long distance before? I don't mean to sound like a dick, but there's every chance this thing is gonna end while you're at sea. By all means try find something close together, but don't count on it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I know one person - one, out of a few hundreds - who finished marine college with the SO they had when they started. And you're home comparatively often while you're in college.

Like Two Fingers says, not saying it can't be done, but if your main factor in picking a school is being close to your girlfriend / wife / life partner... This is not going to end well.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

I know one person - one, out of a few hundreds - who finished marine college with the SO they had when they started. And you're home comparatively often while you're in college.

Like Two Fingers says, not saying it can't be done, but if your main factor in picking a school is being close to your girlfriend / wife / life partner... This is not going to end well.

I know a bunch but they were all the guys who had been doing long distance forever and working jobs with similar amounts of travel!

So I guess my main point is to already be used to something and then it's easy (no word what happened to the girlfriends they started their previous careers with)

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

shovelbum posted:

I know a bunch but they were all the guys who had been doing long distance forever and working jobs with similar amounts of travel!

So I guess my main point is to already be used to something and then it's easy (no word what happened to the girlfriends they started their previous careers with)

Just wait till they stop. When you are used to having that time away to normalize the relationship and then you retire and have to spend ALL your time together....

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Two Finger posted:

Yeah, umm.... have you guys done long distance before? I don't mean to sound like a dick, but there's every chance this thing is gonna end while you're at sea. By all means try find something close together, but don't count on it.

I'm not counting on it at all, which is why I'm asking. You have to study somewhere for 3 years, so I'm going to try my damndest to make it a place where my other half can do her trade (she's a web designer - so, basically any big city.) If I can do it in Aberdeen, great! If not, we can wait til another job comes up in Glasgow, which I know does Engineer as well a Deck.

After I "graduate" she knows full well I could be away for weeks/months. We are going into this after much talking and weighing of options, I assure you.

Yoshimo fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Feb 17, 2014

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Don't go on cruise ships.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Two Finger posted:

Don't go on cruise ships.

Or if you do, don't let her visit.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
So yeah getting a job was really easy, I walked into a big OSV company office the other day, interviewed, got an offer, took a physical, and now I am doing training and stuff. So far way better than my last horrible career.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

You had to do an interview?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

You had to do an interview?

Barely. It involved nascar.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Do you mind saying who you went with? If you end up needing anything on the West Coast Im sure there's something around.

I've heard good things about Chouest and one of the AK ones. Nothing good about the GoM. I don't know many people who stick with OSVs long term, they either choose shoreside or deep sea. There's a lot of turnover all over the industry so it's always easy to find something. Good luck and take it easy, never stress about anything or take any poo poo. Just like water off a ducks back.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
HOS. I'd heard decent about them and so I figured I'd give it a shot, a lot of guys from my academy have been working there.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf

lightpole posted:

I don't know many people who stick with OSVs long term, they either choose shoreside or deep sea.

Really? In my company which has both deep sea and OSVs people are crawling over themselves to go to the OSVs. They have shorter work periods and many feel that the work is more exciting than just going from A to B to C all the time.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

shovelbum posted:

HOS. I'd heard decent about them and so I figured I'd give it a shot, a lot of guys from my academy have been working there.

I've worked on one of their ships (doing research), and the crew really liked the company. That's saying a lot. Good luck.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Per posted:

Really? In my company which has both deep sea and OSVs people are crawling over themselves to go to the OSVs. They have shorter work periods and many feel that the work is more exciting than just going from A to B to C all the time.

Well right now oil is hot and companies need people so with all the new builds and pay its got a lot of advantages.

Skeleton Jelly
Jul 1, 2011

Kids in the street drinking wine, on the sidewalk.
Saving the plans that we made, 'till its night time.
Give me your glass, its your last, you're too wasted.
Or get me one too, 'cause I'm due any tasting.
So, if in Finland you either finish the maritime trade school or go to a maritime university for approx two years, it's possible for you to get some kind of watch-keeping certificate, and I've understood something similar exists in America too. I don't really know the English terms too well at this point but for engineering it's apparently just called "watch-keeping engineer" here and it's supposed to be the equivalent of STCW A-III/1. Anyways, I'm now applying to a Finnish university that trains engineering officers and I'm wondering how good of an idea it would be to stick to just that and start shipping out after I can do watch-keeping, even though on a limited ticket? I'm 22 and a university drop-out and four years more seems kind of overwhelming at this point, but it's a career path I'd really like to pursue so I was wondering if this is something people ever do.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I can't speak for Finland, but 22 is not too late to start, man. I was 23, qualified last year at 26.
I assume an STCW A-III is a third assistant engineer, which is similar to my marine engineer class III, which is similar to the American 3rd Assistant Engineer. As for working in the states, I'm sorry, but I really have no loving clue about how they recognise foreign tickets etc, but there is PLENTY of work elsewhere. As for the limited ticket, I'd seriously recommend doing the unlimited.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I got out of school at 26 too, plenty of people did. It's not a super traditional field in any way, including age.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I was 25 or 26 when I finished; that's absolutely average. Keep in mind that a lot of people take more than four years to finish school and a lot of people start late.

I had a couple of classmates who were in their forties, I've sailed with a few people in their seventies.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
It's traditional to get people coming for their second degree, out of the navy or just late so 25-30 graduation age is new out of the ordinary.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Nautical science has a +/- 50% drop out rate; most of those drops are people straight out of high school, so obviously graduating classes tend to be old. Kids coming straight out of high school and getting told "Here's thirty two hours of class a week, you also might want to study, I don't know and I don't care... Also the bar's across the street and your parents are a six hours drive away" tend not to have great success.

If you're 40+, yeah, I'd think twice. Otherwise? Nobody'll look twice.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

shovelbum posted:

I got out of school at 26 too, plenty of people did. It's not a super traditional field in any way, including age.

shovelbum I have vague memories of you posting a few years ago being interested but I don't remember which path you went - were you deck or engine? And where did you study? I need to update my maritimethread.xls

Skeleton Jelly
Jul 1, 2011

Kids in the street drinking wine, on the sidewalk.
Saving the plans that we made, 'till its night time.
Give me your glass, its your last, you're too wasted.
Or get me one too, 'cause I'm due any tasting.

Two Finger posted:

I can't speak for Finland, but 22 is not too late to start, man. I was 23, qualified last year at 26.
I assume an STCW A-III is a third assistant engineer, which is similar to my marine engineer class III, which is similar to the American 3rd Assistant Engineer. As for working in the states, I'm sorry, but I really have no loving clue about how they recognise foreign tickets etc, but there is PLENTY of work elsewhere. As for the limited ticket, I'd seriously recommend doing the unlimited.

Yeah I wasn't even looking for work in America, sorry if I phrased that weirdly. Any reason you seriously recommend shooting straight for the unlimited? Because it adds another two years to it and the four years of school is probably the most daunting part of it all, though not a decisive factor in this. Going to school for two years, shipping out for some years and then coming back to school to finish my unlimited ticket seems like the most attractive option to me but I mean I know very little about the industry at this point so I don't know if it's really doable.

Nice to know other most of you guys have gotten in into the industry relatively 'late' too because I personally was always kind of intimidated in that sense by people who went to a maritime trade school at the age of 16 and served a year in the navy afterwards and have been shipping out since they were like 19 or 20 - the sailors I know IRL have been mostly this kind of people.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

If you ship out, get a good paying job, get a flow going with a girl and maybe kids and car payments and a mortgage... Do you really think you're going to be willing to go back to school for two years in the middle of that?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

It keeps your options open. Mine's an unlimited, and well, look at it from a hiring perspective - say they call you and it's for a job you aren't licenced for, they're just going to throw you right out and not call again - even if it later might be a job you actually are qualified for. That said, there are exceptions - if you have a specific job lined up with a specific requirement, there's nothing to stop you from holding just a limited.
But, I have the freedom to work wherever I should choose - cruise at the moment, but I could do offshore, cargo, whatever.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Two Finger posted:

shovelbum I have vague memories of you posting a few years ago being interested but I don't remember which path you went - were you deck or engine? And where did you study? I need to update my maritimethread.xls

He is a Great Lakes engineer. I think he went there after seeing this thread which is impressive and depressing. I'm sorry we led him to such desperate measures.

Always go straight for the highest rating you can even if it means an extra two years. Like Frozenvent said, girlfriend, wife, kids, money etc etc. when you get out you will have the option of more better higher paying jobs.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
Always go for the highest pay. The only reason to go to sea is to make a giant pile of money that you can blow on therapy for depression during your vacation time.

Though this doesn't really apply to sailing Chief or working on tankers, where the stress:ducats ratio gets out of whack. Third/Second for lyfe yo.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Plus, if - God forbid :ohdear: - the job market should ever shrink again, companies will absolutely take the guy with the potential to advance faster (College, higher licenses, advanced courses, whatever) over the guy with the bare minimum. Senior people are going to retire at some point, and good operators know they'll need to replace them sooner than later; having career thirds filling up junior spots isn't conductive to that.

Nowadays they pretty much take everybody, but being three exams away form your first class is a hell of a lot better than being eight exams away, you know?

Azipod posted:

Though this doesn't really apply to sailing Chief or working on tankers, where the stress:ducats ratio gets out of whack. Third/Second for lyfe yo.

Last company I sailed for, because of overtime and contracts, going chief mate to captain meant less benefits and possibly a reduction in pay (Chief mate racking in a shitton of OT to junior captain on salary will do that). Not that I know anyone who passed on it, because a) You get to be a captain and b) gently caress being chief mate.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yep I went to Great Lakes, didn't really enjoy Lakes sailing (mostly because of the effect the low pay and long irregular rotations seemed to have on people) and am currently headed to my first actual job on Tuesday after I do HUET etc. on a little 240' OSV.

• Locked thread