Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Strumpie posted:

This is a pretty fun and different way to play the mod that is worth a shot.

The only real thing to mention is you have to be decently skilled to do it and/or a bit of a masochist. I have a feeling people who struggle with Uomoz or other mods haven't quite fully grasped their combat/logistics skills yet. Keep practising.

I figured myself pretty good at vanilla Starsector, but if you go Voidwalker the deck is stacked so far against you it's not even funny. Your ships literally can't keep pace with slow freighters. The only way to get a battle is to either a) run into a vastly more powerful force (because your starting ships suck terribly) or b) hope to god the AI bugs out and you can intercept. In which case the enemy just runs away on the battlemap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
The problem with BRDY is that the sprites look so good that anything else looks like crap in comparison.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I have to believe that SFF does professional sprite work or graphic design of some kind, cause good god drat.

They're all so pretty.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

ArchangeI posted:

I figured myself pretty good at vanilla Starsector, but if you go Voidwalker the deck is stacked so far against you it's not even funny. Your ships literally can't keep pace with slow freighters. The only way to get a battle is to either a) run into a vastly more powerful force (because your starting ships suck terribly) or b) hope to god the AI bugs out and you can intercept. In which case the enemy just runs away on the battlemap.

What? You get 3 frigates when you start Uomoz, one of them you pick from a selection, and the other two are set and the other two (Samoyed class) are perfectly good ships. The two Samoyed frigates have 7 burn, 160 base speed, and burn drive, so you should have no problem catching up with pretty much any fleet on the map and pursuing whatever in battle.

You're strategy shouldn't actually be very different from that of vanilla gameplay: chase after pirates for a while, then other lower tech factions like the Hegemony and Kadur, and then move on to fighting high tech factions like Tri-Tachyon. If you try to go after something like the BRDY right after starting, then yeah, you're going to get your teeth kicked in.

Gobblecoque fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 12, 2014

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Arrath posted:

I have to believe that SFF does professional sprite work or graphic design of some kind, cause good god drat.

They're all so pretty.

He also makes good music, but still hasn't released the track Gneiss from the BRDY playtest yet. :argh: In fact, Castle Crashers has a track he made in the game. How is the mod soundtrack coming Cycerin, I must have the music!

ArchangeI posted:

Keep fighting and converting supplies when needed, use your blueprints to spawn follower fleets and slowly build your powerbase. Using your friendly AI fleets for defence might help.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Ok after reading up on ICE I think I need this in my Exerelin the moment it's made compatible. The playstyle looks interesting and I dig the visuals.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Gobblecoque posted:

What? You get 3 frigates when you start Uomoz, one of them you pick from a selection, and the other two are set and the other two (Samoyed class) are perfectly good ships. The two Samoyed frigates have 7 burn, 160 base speed, and burn drive, so you should have no problem catching up with pretty much any fleet on the map and pursuing whatever in battle.

You're strategy shouldn't actually be very different from that of vanilla gameplay: chase after pirates for a while, then other lower tech factions like the Hegemony and Kadur, and then move on to fighting high tech factions like Tri-Tachyon. If you try to go after something like the BRDY right after starting, then yeah, you're going to get your teeth kicked in.

I've always gotten 3 random frigates, one I picked, latest one is some sweet thing with a locked in doom cannon thing that has the text "yes it is mounted on a frigate, don't go too crazy with it", it eats buffalo like a fat man at a dive bar eats their wings.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Gobblecoque posted:

You should give the Void Walkers a go. I've gone that route every time since it's been implemented in Uomoz's Sector and it's a real fun and different experience. Instead of basing your personal economy and advancement on credits, it's based on whatever stuff that you salvage. You can convert stuff into supplies and fuel and crew into marines so you're plenty self-sufficient. You also get to use blueprints to form fleets that launch from the fortress and go out and raid. The thing that makes it really interesting is how you have to rely on blueprints, boarded ships, and salvaged weapons to form your fleet. It forces you to get inventive with ship setups rather than just buying whatever overpowered min-max ship and weapons.

I've actually always played it right off the bat of new games, as in literally fly over there as soon as the game starts. You don't need to be at any sort of endgame level to do it, and in my opinion doing so would just dull the experience.
This is a good tip and great fun!

A question about the void walkers though: do my followers use crafting materials/supplies/crew when they spawn new ships or are those created out of thin air?

Nektu fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Feb 16, 2014

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I'm trying the Void Walkers approach in Uomoz's bundle and it really is pretty nifty doing that from the start. It's not nearly as hard as you might expect if you've never done it before, although I had some trouble getting going - got blown up until I got a Cerberus with a good loadout and then I was fine. Story wise I think it'd make a pretty great comic book.

I'd also like to know whether your followers need supplies, although yeah I guess I could watch my supply dump and see if any commodities are getting used. Any blueprints I've found have been made available to my followers. I'm just putting along at level 10 in my cerberus with no other ships, although I've started to train marines and to try to capture defeated ships.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 17, 2014

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
I've definitely seen my followers spawn ships I couldn't build because I lacked the necessary materials. Also they sometimes deposit supplies and fuel in the storage, which is :3:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I don't think followers use supplies, but there does seem to be an issue with various stuff just disappearing from the Void Walker storage. It's not the worst issue ever, but man, it really hurts to come back after some raiding and see a bunch of your favorite weapons just gone.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I notice you can still use the abandoned storage facility in Corvus to just stash stuff. I'm at the point now where my followers are dumping more supplies and fuel than I spend so I just drop all the items and salvage and let them do whatever with it. The ship progression is so much slower playing Void Walkers, which is pretty neat. Level 18 or so and I only have a couple of destroyers, most of the frigates, nothing larger. I dig it though, it definitely feels more rewarding than vanilla or any of the other factions.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Sundog of ICE fame has helped me implement something really cool for the Imaginos' right-click action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_4HsOvl2D4

Yes, if you manage to suck in a cloud of rockets and a TPC salvo, the resulting explosion can one-shot nearby frigates. :getin: Actually, before we even tried to balance it, it didn't weigh frag damage less than other damage types and such, so just the PD crossfire from a bunch of ships could create a screen-clearing explosion that flung wrecks clear off the map boundaries.

Still needs some balancing work of course.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 18, 2014

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Wow, incredible work once again by you and other modders.
I'm loving the music and can't wait until you put it up on your soundcloud/ingame.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

This game has a bright, bright future ahead of it if the core game remains solid with so many asskicking mods for it

Also I just realized techno music was one of the few things I liked about the 90s

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Spaceships and unts unts go hand in hand

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Holy poo poo, that frigate looks incredibly fun.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Well, looks like the Imaginos will remain my favorite ship. :allears:

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

Something awesome.

So how does it work? If you had 20 plasma cannons firing on you, would you absorb them all and then one-shot a battleship? Is there an upper limit? Or does it go off of how many shots are absorbed (rather than the power of each projectile)?

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

The damage is based on a base number that then gets modified by incoming projectiles' damage values. There is also a multiplier for each damage type, frag is weighed less than energy for instance.

I'm pondering diff approaches to limit its power right now. What I think I'll do is make each absorbed shot build flux based on the damage you absorb. This does two things: if you get too greedy, you will not have low enough flux to teleport away right after, fire a weapon or anything, or if you get REALLY greedy you might just overload and get hosed.

It also lets you make builds where you spend OP on extra capacitors, maybe even the expensive capacitor hullmods, to be able to absorb and return more fire. However the AI will be completely unaware of this, which bothers me a bit. It would be more simple to give diminishing returns on damage returned once you get above a fairly big number.

But right now, if you were to absorb like 20 plasma cannon shots, you would indeed cause a retaliatory explosion that could murder a screen full of battleships.

Also thinking about making away with the Asura phase cloak and giving it a shorter-cooldown version of this instead, since this is roughly 200 times more fun than a phase cloak.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Feb 20, 2014

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

The damage is based on a base number that then gets modified by incoming projectiles' damage values. There is also a multiplier for each damage type, frag is weighed less than energy for instance.

I'm pondering diff approaches to limit its power right now. What I think I'll do is make each absorbed shot build flux based on the damage you absorb. This does two things: if you get too greedy, you will not have low enough flux to teleport away right after, fire a weapon or anything, or if you get REALLY greedy you might just overload and get hosed.

It also lets you make builds where you spend OP on extra capacitors, maybe even the expensive capacitor hullmods, to be able to absorb and return more fire. However the AI will be completely unaware of this, which bothers me a bit. It would be more simple to give diminishing returns on damage returned once you get above a fairly big number.

But right now, if you were to absorb like 20 plasma cannon shots, you would indeed cause a retaliatory explosion that could murder a screen full of battleships.

Also thinking about making away with the Asura phase cloak and giving it a shorter-cooldown version of this instead, since this is roughly 200 times more fun than a phase cloak.

I like your first idea, with the caveat that "getting too greedy" doesn't result in overload. Maybe it's always (Max flux - 1) when you release the energy (though if you're being fired upon, that would cause overload). I say that because you don't always have control over what the enemy ship shoots at you. Would the damage released/flux generated ratio be 1:1? I noticed your frig in the video had somewhere between 4500-5000 flux capacity, which would cripple frigates at max flux but that's assuming you're not carrying much flux to begin with. Something like 2:1 would allow 6-8k damage and still allow for firing afterwards or having some flux before absorbing. Maybe you want bigger numbers, I don't know.

On the Asura...holy hell.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

How quickly are the shots around you sucked in? Because if it happens too fast that might limit the usefulness in really big battles where the screen is filled with projectiles and you dont really have a choice about how much you suck in.

Personally I would prefer some kind of hard cap on the possible damage. It is a weapon mounted on a nimble-as-gently caress-rear end in a top hat frigate, and in my book that means it should not poo poo out damage left and right.

While it might be fun to play that doomsday nimble-as-gently caress-rear end in a top hat frigate from hell, it would be really unfun to play against.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
The BRDY Dev version Imaginos is feeling a bit better balanced, with the ridiculous cost, reduced weapon slots, regenerating armor but hull that stays damaged, and flux dissipation that's still high, but not so high that you never need to vent or overload. The problem is that these wonderful powers Shaolin Fuckfiend keeps making, although fun to use, don't seem fair when compared to anything Vanilla's got. Okay, the Hyperion can teleport next to your engines and unleash a barrage of Antimatter Blasters, but you can defend against that by filling the area you expect it to teleport to with a hail of bullets and missiles, and the Hyperion's armor is made of tissue paper so a single lucky hit will do significant damage. The Imaginos can do this, plus its armor is better and regenerating, plus when it teleports in it creates an enormous EMP shockwave, plus it can suck up the retaliatory fire and turn it into lightning. This is badass and supercool and awesome to play with, but how fun is it to fight against? I have a feeling that I'd call it cheap bullshit the first time my Onslaught had its engines disabled and 30% of its hull taken out in the first ten seconds of the fight with no way to avoid or defend against it.

Don't know for certain, though, because I have still never played against the Imaginos. As far as I can tell, there's no way to tell how unfun it is to play against because there's no mission where you fight it and there's no way to choose it as an enemy in the Refit Simulator. I guess I could get lucky and have it spawn in a Blackrock fleet which I then fight, but I've never seen that happen.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Meh, I've playtested both as and against it, and don't feel all that concerned. It's a frigate with the logistics footprint and cost of a battlecruiser, but the CR degeneration of a Hyperion, and it can die in one and a half AM Blaster hits or four solid Heavy Mauler hits. I think I'll wait and see how it pans out.

So far when I've fought it, holding fire when it phases out and then forcing it to teleport away has worked well. I've also decreased the range it can teleport somewhat in the internal build. If you are playing the campaign and rolling with some character skills, it shouldn't be very hard to take it out.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

So is it possible to fire, say, a barrage of missiles at something from medium range, teleport close in and suck your own missiles in to zap everyone else? :allears:

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Yeah. Friendly projectiles count for half their damage, though.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
The imaginos plays like a loving dream, I just ported into a clusterfuck of P9 ships entangled with my own blackrock and wiped out 5 frigates two destroyers and a 2 cruisers, the first frigates with the teleporting and the rest when I regurgitated two AM shots from the surviving frigate.

:allears:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Are you using a modified version of the AI that the Karkinos uses for its system for the energy absorber?

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Network Pesci posted:

The problem is that these wonderful powers Shaolin Fuckfiend keeps making, although fun to use, don't seem fair when compared to anything Vanilla's got.
Yes, that is so. The answer however is not that Shaolin Fuckfiend stops making that impressive poo poo, but that vanilla draws some inspiration from him.

Also, apparently Uomoz is working on adding (more or less) randomly generated weapon loadouts for AI fleets :allears:

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

The random variants are awesome and will probably make Void Walker feel even more roguelike-like

Kenshin posted:

Are you using a modified version of the AI that the Karkinos uses for its system for the energy absorber?

The kark just uses phase teleporter ai. All DEFENSE type abilities must use phase cloak AI, because the ship is hardcoded to think it's invulnerable while it's active. Do you mean script? :0 Sundog used the Deracinator script as a base.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

The random variants are awesome and will probably make Void Walker feel even more roguelike-like

The kark just uses phase teleporter ai. All DEFENSE type abilities must use phase cloak AI, because the ship is hardcoded to think it's invulnerable while it's active. Do you mean script? :0 Sundog used the Deracinator script as a base.

Yeah meant script. :)

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Pfft, those missiles don't know whether or not I'm on their team when I get my dumb rear end in their way. Just as they run out of fuel.

Ask me how I learned not to bring in my missile spam ships on stern chase battles :gibs:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

I am just having titanic fun seeing how large an enemy fleet I can take on with a single ship.

I was using a fat but surprisingly fast freighter with non terrible weapons and it let me steal an actual cruiser before getting blown up when I had it board a comorant to try to steal that and boom. Now i'm in the cruiser, (dominator) and just spinning around unleash torrential tides of bullets, which is great until I run out and have to leave to reload.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Dominators rule and are kinda underrated for some reason

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Dominators rule and are kinda underrated for some reason

I have no idea why, You can kill most destroyer and anything smaller class by simply lining up your ships and hitting the burn drive while your hilarious guns surpress their shields and chew on their armor, course destroyers then explode which can sting your armor, frigates seem to be clean though.

I am using Uomoz :argh: getting started there :argh: and some of the weapons it adds are even more hilarious, I should find some more of those reloading missiles at some time and stick them on my dominator... or build a fleet... once I get done doing hilarious solo blaze of glory runs.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I'm not sure which mod adds it, but while starting a new game on the new version of Uomoz with the randomized loadouts, one of my starting ships came with a "Mass Driver", a 17 OP medium weapon that does a crazy 1500 kinetic damage per shot. It will overload frigate shields in 1-2 shots and it does so much raw damage that it wrecks ships that aren't super heavily armored. It's basically a souped up Hypervelocity Driver. I threw it on a Brawler along with a Thunderchief (the super overpowered machinegun flak from Interstellar Federation) and I think I've found my new favorite hilarious Brawler loadout.

DFlux
Apr 25, 2008
The Mass Driver is also an Interstellar Federation weapon.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Gobblecoque posted:

I'm not sure which mod adds it, but while starting a new game on the new version of Uomoz with the randomized loadouts, one of my starting ships came with a "Mass Driver", a 17 OP medium weapon that does a crazy 1500 kinetic damage per shot. It will overload frigate shields in 1-2 shots and it does so much raw damage that it wrecks ships that aren't super heavily armored. It's basically a souped up Hypervelocity Driver. I threw it on a Brawler along with a Thunderchief (the super overpowered machinegun flak from Interstellar Federation) and I think I've found my new favorite hilarious Brawler loadout.

I agree with the thunderchief being AMAZING.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

DFlux posted:

The Mass Driver is also an Interstellar Federation weapon.

A lot of the IF stuff is overpowered. Some of it more subtly than others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dmaonk
Oct 15, 2007

Chinese Starcraft tomato ninja image

Kenshin posted:

A lot of the IF stuff is overpowered. Some of it more subtly than others.

So Interstellar Federation plays like the Hiigarans, but with ballistic weapons?