Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

pointsofdata posted:

Weirdly players interests and those of retailers do not exactly align!

Weirdly that doesn't mean we should just blindly ignore the interests of people who aren't players how crazy is that poo poo?

fake edit I also just said that players think it's dumb too so I don't even know what point you're trying to make here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Smashing Link posted:

Ok so my brother and I have a full set of unlimited duals, about 20 fetches, 6 FOW, 6 Rishadan Ports, 6 Wasteland, 2 Gaea's Cradles, and a large number of Modern staples, mostly bought when they were at their cheapest (duals were mostly between $15-20 about 10 years ago). I keep telling him we should sell the money cards while the market is this high and keep the rest for casual play. Confession: I am also at the point where I am starting to think more about my 401k than wizard poker but anticipate I will still enjoy playing in another 20 years. Advice?

Build some kind of protective fortress using mud and the cards. Require someone present their DCI number before allowing them inside. Take a picture of their hand when they do, then tweet pictures of it. When your guests are inevitably frightened away start screaming about Ken Nagle and shaking your fists.

Alternately if you're just going to play casually pay for some high quality proxies with the money you got from selling those cards and not following my initial advice.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Smashing Link posted:

Ok so my brother and I have a full set of unlimited duals, about 20 fetches, 6 FOW, 6 Rishadan Ports, 6 Wasteland, 2 Gaea's Cradles, and a large number of Modern staples, mostly bought when they were at their cheapest (duals were mostly between $15-20 about 10 years ago). I keep telling him we should sell the money cards while the market is this high and keep the rest for casual play. Confession: I am also at the point where I am starting to think more about my 401k than wizard poker but anticipate I will still enjoy playing in another 20 years. Advice?

I've wondered the same thing. Prices can't go up forever, $5k+ decks means either unsanctioned proxy-allowed tournaments or a format with a very small playerbase, as shown by vintage. What's the magic number that can still sustain a playerbase, though? A quick and rough look shows most top modern decks being between $500-700, and legacy at $1.5k-2k. Does anyone know numbers that could compare the popularity or growth between the two?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Literally The Worst posted:

The YGO model is so bad. Instead of balancing the game, they just have a gigantic banlist that changes with every set depending on what new deliberately broken thing they printed in that set. Then they reprint the unbanned card at common.

Couldn't they just print a bunch of stuff, and not make broken cards, thereby having a bunch of availability, but not a huge ban list? It's not like making dumb broken cards has to go hand in hand with printing a bunch.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

While I hate that prices in Magic rise to the point that they begin to exclude players, it does encourage variety. If every deck were a clone of the top tier decks, players like me would lose interest pretty quick.

Prices aren't the only thing that would quickly become unbalanced by large scale reprints.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

toadee posted:

Couldn't they just print a bunch of stuff, and not make broken cards, thereby having a bunch of availability, but not a huge ban list? It's not like making dumb broken cards has to go hand in hand with printing a bunch.

YGO's "reprint Goodstuff at common to crash prices and make it the new required thing" policy goes hand in hand with their inability to not have a broken game. The stuff about it being bad design is a criticism of YGO as a game, the fact that it makes YGO singles a fool's game is what makes YGO singles a bad idea for anyone who isn't Konami.

Also, you're seriously underestimating the differences between the two games, like as businesses. YGO, the game, is part of a franchise that has anime and manga and toys and poo poo, aimed at younger dudes. Magic is....Magic, and then sometimes they put out a hat or t-shirts or whatever, aimed at being for...basically everyone, I guess. The tournament support is also vastly different for YGO and MtG and basically just every single thing YGO does I look at as someone who works in a card shop and also plays Magic and think "Wow that's the dumbest loving thing I've ever heard of."

fake edit: While I'm yelling about YGO their tournament support is garbage. You win the equivalent of a Pro Tour or a GP and you get an iPad. That's it, iPad, and a playmat.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

toadee posted:

Not if their goal is to make everyone buy the new cards all the time because they are brokenly powerful and their previously broken cards are now banned.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

toadee posted:

No, they print their broken cards, make them rare and mandatory, rake in the money. Then in two months, they ban the cards and/or print hosers, and print a new set of busted cards, while putting the old bunch in starter decks. Rinse and repeat.
I mean, from a business standpoint they're pretty rocking, but I don't think that exploiting their customer base like that is good in the longer-term, especially with Magic growing ever-stronger.

In their defence, I hear that they're shifting a bit, introducing formats and a more concise schedule for stuff, so maybe that's a step in the right direction.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Serperoth posted:

In their defence, I hear that they're shifting a bit, introducing formats and a more concise schedule for stuff, so maybe that's a step in the right direction.

I haven't heard any of this and I'm pretty good about keeping my ear to the ground for TCG poo poo (at least for the next few months), but if they do it right I'll be impressed.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

toadee posted:

Unlike magic a big part of YGO's business model is to do everything they can to bilk their hardcore user base for every penny they can as opposed to having a wide appeal among a massive group of casual players. Printing busted cards, drives sales, then you ban them, print the piss out of them, and print a new set of busted cards. Rinse, repeat.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Feb 18, 2014

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

In other news, Tavis Woo kicks off his PT Valencia articles by insulting everyone he can:

quote:

Half of the people don't work and the other half of the people don't work much compared to a working American. Suspiciously none of them are starving. Seems like they hang out in the park, walk their dogs, and chill at home. It's a slow pace. Things feel a little more present, but somehow mañana turns into mañana turns into mañana.

http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/woo-brews-play-the-game-see-valencia/

The first comment says it best

quote:

Half the people dont work, the other half dont work much. You arrogant prick. You just flew half way around the world to land in a beautiful country, rich in history to play a goddamn card game.
You need your wings clipped in a big way.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

toadee posted:

In other news, Tavis Woo kicks off his PT Valencia articles by insulting everyone he can:

Despite woo having a bunch of goofy and interesting decks, he can be so stupid and annoying sometimes.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
Yikes that's unfortunate. When I first read that comment I interpreted it as "Man, why can't America be as chill as Europe?"

He really could've worded it better though. Taken on its own it sounds awful.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

toadee posted:

To be fair Americans are completely overworked, both Americans and Spanish would agree.

To be unfair I don't even think Travis was making a "lol everyone lives off conquistador gold lol!" joke and he was just being super dumb.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

I've resigned myself to the fact that the reserve list policy isn't changing, so I'm not going to beat that dead horse. Modern has no such limit, so they need to take advantage of that and prevent Modern from becoming just as expensive as Legacy. I think converting Modern Masters to a constantly in-print set similar to a core set is the way to go. A modern set printed like a Core Set would ensure that an awesome limited environment could thrive year-round and they could keep prices of certain cards from growing out of control by keeping them in print. The staples need this the most, as they make up most of the barrier to entry. They may not need to go as far as keeping fetches in print 5 years in a row like the checklands, but increasing the number of staples in circulation should be a priority to keep the barrier to entry down.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

AnacondaHL posted:

To be fair Americans are completely overworked, both Americans and Spanish would agree.

To be unfair I don't even think Travis was making a "lol everyone lives off conquistador gold lol!" joke and he was just being super dumb.

If he is to be believed he was saying exactly that it was cool, I'll quote an exchange him from his comment section:

quote:

Travis Woo
wow didnt expect so much hate. basically people in america work too many hours and its a huge social problem. european lifestyle is much better. people work less and the people are healthier. thought that was clear.
Reply · 11 · Like · Follow Post · 20 minutes ago

Marco Grunert · Top Commenter · Works at Ericsson
It sounded more like, Europeans seem lazy to you.
Reply · 2 · Like · 16 minutes ago

Travis Woo
i mean, my job is to play magic cards over the internet
Reply · 5 · Like · 9 minutes ago

I mean, he could just be covering his rear end, but there were no other seemingly disparaging remarks so ::shrug::.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Smashing Link posted:

As far as anyone can tell, Modern stuff will be slowly reprinted in Standard/supplementals/Modern Masters 2 and Legacy will never be reprinted. Anyone's best guess is that we won't see another major Modern thing this year aside from the Event Deck they've talked about, because their design practices usually have them designing at least a year in advance and MM only came out in the last year.

Obviously any option that isn't "get out while you still can" is going to be a gamble. The Event Deck had a pretty high MSRP if I'm remembering correctly, so the assumption is that it's going to contain a singleton Bitterblossom and a few other staples in BW (because people are guessing that it will be BW tokens) but everyone's guessing. Fetches probably aren't coming soon, and even the next block would have been designed before Modern Masters came out, so we won't see any of the design results from that being implemented in it... probably.

The safest action is probably selling any Bitterblossom you have before people figure out how to deal with it and where it fits into Modern (which is probably not at $90 but again I'm guessing) and I'm thinking you can probably hold onto any Modern staples until next year without any major risk aside from a card getting banned (if you pay attention to the format you can usually just listen to what people are complaining about the most). Anything after that is anyone's guess.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

suicidesteve posted:

Last Friday I played Golgari, which played so horribly I just dismantled the deck - 7 rounds of finding no creatures in a deck that hasn't ever lost a game before Friday. Everyone else played netdecked monsters or netdecked control except for one guy playing some stupid thing with Heliod, Ephara, and apparently no win con besides Brimaz and me having 1 creature for 20 turns. What an exciting tournament that was.

I'm playing legacy this Friday with my terrible Affinity deck that refuses to work more than every 5 hands. Should be fun? Does anyone actually play Affinity in legacy?

My list is here:
http://deckbox.org/sets/601891
I just dropped the 4th Thoughtseize for the 4th Tezz, which was probably a mistake, but Thoughtseize's usefulness is hard to gauge in a hotel bed with nobody to play with.

I haven't finished my deck yet but this is what I'm planning on starting with.

http://deckbox.org/sets/571868

No mater of etherium? He's frickin huge with artifact lands.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Smashing Link posted:

Start by posting pictures and a list on the sell forum here? You have thousands of dollars there. I wish I had 3-4k to just buy a playset of duals, but I like my penis and my wife would cut it off and cook it. :P If you play kitchen table you and your brother can probably split 4-6k to put in your 401k's, then buy all the commander decks and enjoy the gently caress out of casual magic forever.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Despite woo having a bunch of goofy and interesting decks, he can be so stupid and annoying sometimes.

Travis has a bunch of goofy and interesting decks because he farms out to his fan base looking for cool decks and then "helps them work on it" and then takes credit for the deck idea. Dude is not far off of being a grifter but he also believes his own hype and that he's inventing these decks.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Literally The Worst posted:

How many of those stores have made selling YGO singles a significant part of their business though?

I don't know what quantifies as significant but ideal808.com is one of the premier YGO selling sites. I know they have plenty of singles in their shop but probably keep the hot new ones at lower quantities unlike MTG. They've adapted to that kind of market so probably have to churn through singles at a much faster pace. It seems like a tautology. Of course they're going to sell more actual product of YGO instead of magic singles and relatively more magic singles because that's how those business models work.

I am honestly surprised when any LGS makes any single product too significant as their business model. I've seen stores come and go because of it. We have one in nova, curio cavern, and over the course of the two years it's been open it has morphed into MTG-only shop that happens to sell other things but isn't as balanced as all the other LGSs I know. There's a new shop that opened maybe 8 months ago in Oahu like that too. It's working so far but it's stupid as hell. I only think they're (referring to both stores) still in business because the locals support it enough through cult-like pack gambling and buying singles and boxes there as good will to keep it open instead of buying online. Now I'm sure that's because of the mystique of opening mythical cards and reserved list and etc. but I don't think the eggs in a basket approach is a good one and think it's stupid as hell. But whatever, there are 4 more in the area so the community's not hurting for places to go if one folds.

Anyway, I look forward to taunting due to this effort post and my opinions of the printing rarity. :)

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Feb 18, 2014

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

suicidesteve posted:

I'm playing legacy this Friday with my terrible Affinity deck that refuses to work more than every 5 hands. Should be fun? Does anyone actually play Affinity in legacy?

My list is here:
http://deckbox.org/sets/601891
I just dropped the 4th Thoughtseize for the 4th Tezz, which was probably a mistake, but Thoughtseize's usefulness is hard to gauge in a hotel bed with nobody to play with.

Put Thoughtseize/Cabal Therapy on the sideboard and focus your maindeck on furious hard beatdowns. This plus one less Tezzeret should make room for your playset of Master of Etherium, the dude who will fight Tarmogoyfs and win.

If you really wanna break stuff down, we can go to the decklist thread. Legacy Robots is my jam.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

LordSaturn posted:

Put Thoughtseize/Cabal Therapy on the sideboard and focus your maindeck on furious hard beatdowns. This plus one less Tezzeret should make room for your playset of Master of Etherium, the dude who will fight Tarmogoyfs and win.

If you really wanna break stuff down, we can go to the decklist thread. Legacy Robots is my jam.

Yes please i want some input on legacy bots. I loving love bots and have been working on a legacy build.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

If you anticipate that you'll still be enjoying playing Magic in 10 years just keep your cards. If you don't want to play anymore, sell them, that should be as much thought as you put into it unless you really need money for something important. Everyone I know who has sold their collection and come back/kept playing regretted it, especially if they cashed out for something non-essential, like my friend who sold a grip of Duals for concert tickets to see a band he doesn't even like anymore.

If you're at the point in your life that you're thinking about your 401K seriously you're also at the point in your life where 4K isn't life changing money. If you wanted to you could probably save up 4K this year without sacrificing your hobby.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 18, 2014

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I was out with friends last night and one of them put out an interesting idea: I could literally sell the remainder of my magic collection and buy a BTR or similar APC/tank that are street legal. Just another option to consider with the magic of wizard rectangles.

e: Yeah they're like ~$15-20k used. I think the british papers had at least a few stories of guys who bought tanks and they got slightly better non-soviet(?) ones for like $25k. Now the gas is probably gonna set you back a pair of underground seas per fill.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 18, 2014

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Are tanks cheaper than I thought? Even a full play-set of Duals and power can be had for under 10K

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

jassi007 posted:

Yes please i want some input on legacy bots. I loving love bots and have been working on a legacy build.

Pretty much this, yeah. Although I haven't had enough experience to say whether I really like it or not. Either way, I thought about the Masters, but don't actually have them, soo this os where I am right now.

Mexican Sandwich
Jan 1, 2013
I asked a friend that plays YGO about this the other night, but how do the prices of staples compare to those in Magic? I wonder because technically the only format is Legacy.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mexican Sandwich posted:

I asked a friend that plays YGO about this the other night, but how do the prices of staples compare to those in Magic? I wonder because technically the only format is Legacy.

You can't really compare them because of the weird reprint poo poo. I do know that at one point YGO's ponder was like fifty bucks though!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

So since Temple of Plenty was the first set of Scrylands I filled up on somehow when BotG came out I decided to take it as a sign and am stocking up on post rotation GW staples.

What is looking like keepers for G/W besides Fleecemane Lion, Sylvan Caryatid and Polukranos? :v:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Count Bleck posted:

So since Temple of Plenty was the first set of Scrylands I filled up on somehow when BotG came out I decided to take it as a sign and am stocking up on post rotation GW staples.

What is looking like keepers for G/W besides Fleecemane Lion, Sylvan Caryatid and Polukranos? :v:

Boon Satyr

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
What retailer do you guys find has the best buylist prices?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

ScarletBrother posted:

http://www.mtgprice.com/

When you search for a card here, you can see what different retailers offer for buylist.

If you don't mind splitting a stack between 2-3 retailers you can get a good bit more money than just one place.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ScarletBrother posted:

Card Kingdom bases their buylist off their sell list, which is astronomically inflated, and pays a 30% premium if you trade for credit. For instance, I just dumped Sphinx's Revelations on them for $19.50 store credit each.

Normally this would be bad, as they want like $8 for the R/B scryland, but since I live in Seattle, I can just walk in and spend that credit on tournament entry and beer at the attached Cafe Mox.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

ScarletBrother posted:

StarCity is fine in this regard, as long as you're trying to get store credit. Channel Fireball has similar prices but their store selection for anything not in Standard is not good.

Nissir
Apr 23, 2007
Man with no Title
Wife took off work early and kept the kids and told me go have fun playing Wizard's Poker.

Hit up the LGS and played my first draft since Gods came out, it was Gods, Gods, and more Gods.

Lived the dream and went 4-0 playing tribal minotaur. Pulled a pair of Stormbreath Dragons once of which was a foil who was almost instantly traded off for a pair of normal Stormbreath Dragons. Rest was a pile of nothing good, but I should be able to trade the dragons to fully build my horrible black and blue wall/mill standard deck I want to play.

Deck was

6 Kragma Butcher
2 Ragemonger
2 Warchanter of Mogis
4 Felhide Brawler
1 Felhide Spiritbinder
1 Mogis, God of Slaughter
4 Necrobite
4 Bolt of Keranos

9 Mountains
7 Swamps

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Nissir posted:

6 Kragma Butcher

Wait, you can have more than four copies of something in limited? Has that always been a thing?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

NofrikinfuN posted:

Wait, you can have more than four copies of something in limited? Has that always been a thing?

I once drafted an m11 deck that was 5 squadron hawks and 7 foresee. It has always been a thing.

edit: I am not endorsing playing a seven of 4 drop sorcery speed draw spell, but I am going to say it was exactly as amazing as it sounds.

second edit: Scry and Squadron Hawk is a baller nonbo.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

NofrikinfuN posted:

A long, long while at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

NofrikinfuN posted:

Yeah, you can play as many as you draft or open. It's always been this way.

• Locked thread