Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

One of the best moments in Morrowind was actually exploring anywhere and usually finding something extremely cool for taking the time to do it.

Actually exploring anywhere

The world of Morrowind is open ended and you can go anywhere you want. Feel like exploring Dunmer tombs? Maybe you want to find ancient daedric artifacts? Or just explore the Ashlands? It’s all up to you, just remember to visit the nearest town and enjoy their services when you're done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I got back into the warehouse yesterday and found that they were either smuggling or had seized a poo poo ton of Moon Sugar and Skooma. So much that I had to smoke some to get it all to Ravi'ir in Balmora. I'm a tweaked out, drug dealing lizard wizard :v:

Also I accidentally used the wrong scroll during combat and woke up in Molag Mar. In 12 years I'd never bothered to visit..

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Shoehead posted:

I got back into the warehouse yesterday and found that they were either smuggling or had seized a poo poo ton of Moon Sugar and Skooma.

Pretty much every faction in Morrowind is corrupt as gently caress so it was definitely their own supply.

I started the Fighter's Guild today since I never, ever do that quest line. After completing the Balmora quests, I remember why I never bother with the Fighter's Guild. gently caress these assholes, they suck.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
I played through Skyrim in German to kind of practice my German in the downtime and so I could play video games without MY WIFE bitching. I was thinking about doing the same with Morrowind, but I heard somewhere that the translation is just horrible. Can anyone confirm this?

I'm probably going to do it anyways. I was just going to install the Overhaul. But I'm open to other mods. I don't have a superfast computer, but it should be able to handle most stuff. If I play the PC version with an Xbox controller am I screwed? I played it with a mouse this time.

I'm going to play a magic guy because the last time I played a warhammer guy. Normally my second guy is a sneaky guy but from what I remember, stealth is kind of broken.

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

Where was that Dremora Lord (I think) who wanted to kill you and rape your corpse (don't worry, he'll be gentle)? That was surprising to say the least when I first stumbled upon that guy.

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

ddinkins112 posted:

Where was that Dremora Lord (I think) who wanted to kill you and rape your corpse (don't worry, he'll be gentle)? That was surprising to say the least when I first stumbled upon that guy.

He's in the Maar Gan shrine, part of a temple quest where you taunt him into attacking you for a pilgrimage.

And yeah why didnt he imply rape instead of just straight up say it what the hell bethesda

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Crewmine posted:

And yeah why didnt he imply rape instead of just straight up say it what the hell bethesda

Well, one of the daedra is literally called the King of Rape, so...

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Is it just me or is Bethesda really bad at humor? Like 90% of it tends to be wacky random monkey cheese bullshit and the rest is super grimdark stuff. Bad as Oblivion was, Shivering Isles at least attempted to be interesting but it was hamstrung by just about every single NPC spouting insufferable random garbage constantly.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

I Said No posted:

Is it just me or is Bethesda really bad at humor? Like 90% of it tends to be wacky random monkey cheese bullshit and the rest is super grimdark stuff. Bad as Oblivion was, Shivering Isles at least attempted to be interesting but it was hamstrung by just about every single NPC spouting insufferable random garbage constantly.

Bethesda is hopeless at humour, super grimdark stuff and also all other genres

Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3 and all their DLCs are hampered by the horrible lifelessness of the NPCs, as well as being just generally poo poo

it's like watching a kid mash action figures together

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

quote:

I like that Skyrim is (at least on the surface) a straight fantasy with a couple of innovations, and I'd hate to see that ruined or cheesed out just so that this guy's wilder ideas can have free reign.

from the skyrim thread in games. yes because straight tolkien-ish fantasy is so very interesting and fun and creative guys. but they did some innovative stuff,so its not all that bad

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

I Said No posted:

A lot of the jokes in Morrowind were pretty well done. The condescending tone of the "little story" explanation, stuff like that. I think it might be that they're better at subtler written humour and that poo poo fell away as the focus moved to their terrible voiceacting and retarded jokes departments

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
^^ the Telvanni wizard who has filled her tower with kwama eggs and has a slave rebellion caused by the slaves realising they're breaking their backs mining eggs and she's not even eating them was p funny

It takes some balls to say "look i actually like really bland things and i'd hate to see that ruined by anything interesting"

Prism Mirror Lens fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Feb 18, 2014

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012
Skyrim's greatest innovation is creating a civil war that has literally no impact on anything whatsoever
that and "wait... what if mages weren't trusted by normal people? fuckin woahhhhh"

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I Said No posted:

god shivering isles was terrible. if it wasn't inane plot and awful attempts at monkeycheese humour, it was the same overly long loving dungeon crawl through one of two tilesets over and over again, the quest/dungeon/enemy design somehow had even less variety than vanilla oblivion. and that's terrible.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

Stalins Moustache posted:

from the skyrim thread in games. yes because straight tolkien-ish fantasy is so very interesting and fun and creative guys. but they did some innovative stuff,so its not all that bad

they say Viking words like 'jarl' sometimes, that's innovation right?

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
some soundtrack talk

ive been listening to a little of morrowind and oblivion's soundtrack. while every track has some memory tied to them, i feel as if Skyrim in comparison is not very memorable. anyone else feel this? i think oblivion's got one of the best soundtracks tbh, but morrowind has the best theme overall(even beats skyrim's main theme)

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
i've never beaten morrowind

I get to the point my impossible godlike powers are peaked and the idea of actually going through story missions seemed irrelevant

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

Oblivion's soundtrack is definitely the best. the chillest, just what you want to hear when you go exploring a green and blue grassy void totally absent of life.

i haven't played Morrowind in years, but i remember it being chill as well, and its main theme is really good

Skyrim's theme kicks rear end, but it plays at stupid moments, like when a dragon is a mile away and attacking some bandits outside the draw distance

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter if someone in another thread likes Skyrim/dislikes Morrowind.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
All Elder scrolls games become bad after they added level scaling even soft level scaling

If I can find daedric armor at level 1 it better own as much as daedric armor at level 50

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Mel Mudkiper posted:

All Elder scrolls games become bad after they added level scaling even soft level scaling

If I can find daedric armor at level 1 it better own as much as daedric armor at level 50

Morrowind had level scaled monsters, but they chose to intelligently scale them rather than aligning every single creature and item in the game exactly with your level.

Yellow Jackson
Jan 13, 2013

by Ralp

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

Morrowind had level scaled monsters, but they chose to intelligently scale them rather than aligning every single creature and item in the game exactly with your level.

They do it with zones, right? So creatures in one area can be like from lvl 5 to 10, but never stronger or weaker than that.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

did skyrim have level scaled artifacts like oblivion did
that was the most magnificently retarded thing i've ever seen in a game

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

some soundtrack talk

ive been listening to a little of morrowind and oblivion's soundtrack. while every track has some memory tied to them, i feel as if Skyrim in comparison is not very memorable. anyone else feel this? i think oblivion's got one of the best soundtracks tbh, but morrowind has the best theme overall(even beats skyrim's main theme)

morrowinds theme is the best song in a game ever

i get all boned up just thinking about it

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

god shivering isles was terrible. if it wasn't inane plot and awful attempts at monkeycheese humour, it was the same overly long loving dungeon crawl through one of two tilesets over and over again, the quest/dungeon/enemy design somehow had even less variety than vanilla oblivion. and that's terrible.

I actually liked the plot. :shrug: The humor was a bit overbearing at times, but a few of the bits were amusing enough. The censor notes at the start and end of the book about the root system for instance. Plus Haskill was a nice comic foil. On a side note, is it bad if I understood everything Sheogorath said? He speaks pretty clearly for someone who's a god of madness.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

Morrowind creatures only get to level 30 I believe, which is nice because I like feeling like spending the time to get enough money to train myself to level 50 was actually worth it in some way. Morrowind also doesn't completely scale leveling for all creature; I think Dremoras have minimum levels of like 10 or 15, so if you decide to go into a Daedric ruin and steal a cursed diamond from the altar, well, you're dead, buddy.

That's really one of the things I love about Morrowind. There are quite a few areas where you just are not supposed to go early on, but there's nothing stopping you either. No hand-holding bullshit, no 'this door must be unlocked by a certain key' crap like Oblivion and Skyrim. Actual, real freedom to explore, and if it turns out you aren't supposed to be there yet, remember that place and come back in 10 levels and try again. You can even go to the monastery of the dissident priests and to the cave of the Neverarine whenever the gently caress you drat well please, even though there's really no point to do so until you reach that part of the main quest.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

did skyrim have level scaled artifacts like oblivion did
that was the most magnificently retarded thing i've ever seen in a game

Nope, you'll find a few chests or monsters with scaled loot but everything unique or hand-placed doesn't scale. (So anything important)

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

An Angry Bug posted:

I actually liked the plot. :shrug: The humor was a bit overbearing at times, but a few of the bits were amusing enough. The censor notes at the start and end of the book about the root system for instance. Plus Haskill was a nice comic foil. On a side note, is it bad if I understood everything Sheogorath said? He speaks pretty clearly for someone who's a god of madness.
It wasn't a lack of understanding that was the problem for me. It was that Sheogorath's accent was so ridiculous that it just made everything he said grate. He sounds like an Englishman pretending to be an American, pretending to be a Scotsman.

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

Cannot Find Server posted:

That's really one of the things I love about Morrowind. There are quite a few areas where you just are not supposed to go early on, but there's nothing stopping you either. No hand-holding bullshit, no 'this door must be unlocked by a certain key' crap like Oblivion and Skyrim. Actual, real freedom to explore, and if it turns out you aren't supposed to be there yet, remember that place and come back in 10 levels and try again. You can even go to the monastery of the dissident priests and to the cave of the Neverarine whenever the gently caress you drat well please, even though there's really no point to do so until you reach that part of the main quest.

You can go all the way to Dagoth Ur and he's just like "maybe come back when you're actually prepared you colosssal moron"

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Crewmine posted:

You can go all the way to Dagoth Ur and he's just like "maybe come back when you're actually prepared you colosssal moron"

When I first started really getting into this game, a friend and I were both playing and I found my way to Dagoth Ur while exploring around Red Mountain and got the whole 'Why have you come unprepared?' bit.

Then I left, found Keening an hour or two later, equipped it and died. This might have been the moment that pushed the game from Very Good to Outfuckingstanding to me.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

TheChad posted:

Nope, you'll find a few chests or monsters with scaled loot but everything unique or hand-placed doesn't scale. (So anything important)

False

reward armor for example scales based on level

If you get thief guildmaster armor at level 20 its worse than if you got it at level 50 for example

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Mel Mudkiper posted:

False

reward armor for example scales based on level

If you get thief guildmaster armor at level 20 its worse than if you got it at level 50 for example

Oh really? I had no idea, probably shouldn't be making definitive statements for a game I played so long ago. :)

Also I don't think I ever played through the guild questlines more than once.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Zero Star posted:

It wasn't a lack of understanding that was the problem for me. It was that Sheogorath's accent was so ridiculous that it just made everything he said grate. He sounds like an Englishman pretending to be an American, pretending to be a Scotsman.

I think the voice actor said that was the point? like he was going for a scot/irish mix :shrug:

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

thehumandignity posted:

I am playing as a monk for the first time and drat I have never leveled so quickly without trying

just from wandering around punching the local mudcrabs, smugglers, and sovereign citizen murderer psychopath to death, my HTH skill has shot up from the starting 35 to 67

that means I am going to miss out on the 200 gold that Caius gives you if you report to him before level 4, but who gives a poo poo I'm about to dump a bunch of skooma and moon sugar on balmora's khajit population

Keep the Moon Sugar and brew up your own Fortify Speed Potions. Reach Heaven through violence and a poo poo load of drugs.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Whorelord posted:

I think the voice actor said that was the point? like he was going for a scot/irish mix :shrug:
speaking as a scottish person, this didn't go very well

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

the fact that every kahjiit was a drug addict and would openly buy drugs off you was loving brilliant

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

soscannonballs posted:

Keep the Moon Sugar and brew up your own Fortify Speed Potions. Reach Heaven through violence and a poo poo load of drugs.

I would have done this but I got that walk faster mod from the other thread so now I'm sitting on my moon sugar stash in the mages guild bedroom in Balmora with the crazy soulgems I knicked from the elf upstairs.

I think tonight I'm going to find that ring need Seyda Neen someone mentioned earlier and then I'm going to wander over to Ebonheart to see how low my FPS goes.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

Whorelord posted:

the fact that every kahjiit was a drug addict and would openly buy drugs off you was loving brilliant

One thing I did like about Skyrim was the Khajit trader caravan. When you wanted to see their wares, the khajit loving beamed happiness.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

One thing I did like about Skyrim was the Khajit trader caravan. When you wanted to see their wares, the khajit loving beamed happiness.

I swear that's the only time anyone actually smiles in the entire game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

I installed the code patch that makes enchanted items have a 4 second cooldown, and now it won't uninstall :negative: My absorb health bracer, ruined

MCP makes a backup of the exe. Just replace your patched exe with the original and run MCP again.

• Locked thread