Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Charlz Guybon posted:

They always elect one of their own, or can they elected other bishops as well?

The former.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
It'll always be a Cardinal, and always the Preferatus.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The more of your guys that are in the curia, the more likely the pope will be your man. I find it a little pointless tho because it's so expensive to get guys into the curia, and by the time you can afford it your guys are probably naturally filling up the spots. Probably better to set up an anti-pope and push his claim first.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The more of your guys that are in the curia, the more likely the pope will be your man. I find it a little pointless tho because it's so expensive to get guys into the curia, and by the time you can afford it your guys are probably naturally filling up the spots. Probably better to set up an anti-pope and push his claim first.
My experience was that by the time I could afford it, the Most Serene Republic of Pisa owned all of Italy and could match me coin for coin and still be Italian on top of it. Pressing an anti-pope's claim was waaaaay easier.

Yeah, sure, elect another Pisan, I don't give a gently caress any more, he still works for me.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Damnit. I passed 20k gold last night in my ironman Venice->Rome game, but didn't get the achievement for it. Then I realized I hadn't gotten the 80 trade posts achievement from the same gameplay session, nor the 50k score achievement when I passed that a few days ago either.

So saving & quitting, and restarting the game, I took a closer look at the ironman tooltip on the load game screen.

That's some mixed messaging right there. So apparently at some point my ironman save got corrupted and no longer counts for achievements anymore, even though I'm still getting monthly autosaves. :argh:

And of course being ironman, there's nothing to revert to. Bah.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
So, some rather odd things happen when you disable "is_theocracy = yes" in who's allowed to take on the title of Cardinal.

For one, feudal lords higher than baron-level don't ever seem to quite make it into the list of cardinals, even though you might gain the title. Amusingly, the system seems to be totally fine with mayors becoming cardinals, and even, apparently, being next in line for Pope! Next, if you become a cardinal as a feudal lord, you won't be able to vote for anyone.

So it's something that one probably shouldn't mess with!

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

lurksion posted:

That's some mixed messaging right there. So apparently at some point my ironman save got corrupted and no longer counts for achievements anymore, even though I'm still getting monthly autosaves. :argh:

Had you ever been getting any achievements in that game? If you use ruler designer or a mod with Ironman, you won't get achievements, ever, but you'll still get that message even though it's not quite accurate (presumably they haven't changed the error message at all).

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

lurksion posted:

Damnit. I passed 20k gold last night in my ironman Venice->Rome game, but didn't get the achievement for it. Then I realized I hadn't gotten the 80 trade posts achievement from the same gameplay session, nor the 50k score achievement when I passed that a few days ago either.

So saving & quitting, and restarting the game, I took a closer look at the ironman tooltip on the load game screen.

Please tell me roughly how you went about becoming Rome from Venice, because I'm trying it as Amalfi and not really getting anywhere.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Dallan Invictus posted:

Had you ever been getting any achievements in that game? If you use ruler designer or a mod with Ironman, you won't get achievements, ever, but you'll still get that message even though it's not quite accurate (presumably they haven't changed the error message at all).
That's an unmodded, no ruler designer save, and yeah, I've gotten them previously in the save. Almost all my achievements have been from the save, actually, it being my main playthrough, most recently Prester John when a Miaphysite liberation revolt succeeded after I had already smacked down Egypt.

Totally sucks =(

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
The money I borrowed from the Jews. Is there interest on that or a due date like in EU?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Please tell me roughly how you went about becoming Rome from Venice, because I'm trying it as Amalfi and not really getting anywhere.
Started out patrician, fabricated claims and city claimed in Croatia area for initial power base. Dumped all cash into family manor (prioritized cash first, then retinue size) while having steward increase build speed or cash alternately. When not doing that, used mercenaries and retinues to take over Sicily, random counties in Italy, and parts of Africa. Had an antipope at one point, didn't keep it because he became an heretic. Focused Military Organization when doge, but didn't bother with funding elections much early on (cash for upgrades instead), but plot murdered generously, so never was out of it for too long. Even if you aren't doge for a bit, you keep your retinues and the taxes aren't anything to write home about yet.

Married one of the daughters of the current emperor for claims. Had this happen, murdered their entire family in revenge. One of his brothers had to do instead. Murdered the new emperor after father-in-law died to be able to press weak claim, etc etc. Retinue + Mercenary size at that point was more than enough. I did actually swear fealty so I could press the claim as a faction to get some extra dudes on my side.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 18, 2014

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Charlz Guybon posted:

The money I borrowed from the Jews. Is there interest on that or a due date like in EU?

There's a flat 50g fee (so you owe them 350g when you pay it back) and you get a -10 penalty with your church vassals until the loan is repaid, but there is no interest or due date. Later you'll be able to borrow money from the Templars if you're Christian, which carries the same fees/penalties.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

lurksion posted:

Started out patrician, fabricated claims and city claimed in Croatia area for initial power base. Dumped all cash into family manor (prioritized cash first, then retinue size) while having steward increase build speed or cash alternately. When not doing that, used mercenaries and retinues to take over Sicily, random counties in Italy, and parts of Africa. Had an antipope at one point, didn't keep it because he became an heretic. Focused Military Organization when doge, but didn't bother with funding elections much early on (cash for upgrades instead), but plot murdered generously, so never was out of it for too long. Even if you aren't doge for a bit, you keep your retinues and the taxes aren't anything to write home about yet.

Married one of the daughters of the current emperor for claims. Had this happen, murdered their entire family in revenge. One of his brothers had to do instead. Murdered the new emperor after father-in-law died to be able to press weak claim, etc etc. Retinue + Mercenary size at that point was more than enough. I did actually swear fealty so I could press the claim as a faction to get some extra dudes on my side.

I think that my mistake is that I swore fealty before getting the claim so now the Emperor doesn't want to marry his daughters to me because I'm his vassal even though I'm King of Sicily and strong as hell.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

C'mon kid, we're Vikings, not barbarians.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I think that my mistake is that I swore fealty before getting the claim so now the Emperor doesn't want to marry his daughters to me because I'm his vassal even though I'm King of Sicily and strong as hell.
I actually don't remember how I got the marriage, this was 2 months ago (I've been playing really slowly - and also why I'm really annoyed at my save going fubar). I believe it was a straight-up proposal with no shenanigans on my part.

You can always try stabbing the husbands and hope she doesn't move back in with her dad.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

lurksion posted:

If your connection drops the game'll save locally, which forever tags it as not fully ironman :(

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Your local cheese loving, wooden shoes wearing drug addict.

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

So it's alright when you rape women, but not when a little kid wants to? We think alike my brother.

Jack the Stripper fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Feb 18, 2014

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

DrSunshine posted:

So, some rather odd things happen when you disable "is_theocracy = yes" in who's allowed to take on the title of Cardinal.

Didn't manage any lady popes?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ok I'll bite: how did that happen?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

He's 13. Of course his hormones are going crazy.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Regarding calling up your levies - the AI seems to be able to continually pull more reinforcements out from their holdings throughout a war, while I can only raise them once at the start and then I'm stuck unless I send everyone home and call up my levies again.

What's happening there? Something only the AI can do, or is it a control I'm missing?

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Your local cheese loving, wooden shoes wearing drug addict.

Gort posted:

Regarding calling up your levies - the AI seems to be able to continually pull more reinforcements out from their holdings throughout a war, while I can only raise them once at the start and then I'm stuck unless I send everyone home and call up my levies again.

What's happening there? Something only the AI can do, or is it a control I'm missing?

After a while levies will recover, and you'll be able to call them up again if you have no levy standing. If you wipe out your opponents army, they'll be able to call up a new levy after a while. They also get a big relationship bonus with vassals if you are of a different nationality, so they'll have more troops at their disposal aswell.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Have the Norse been nerfed by the latest expansion? This is my first game in a long time, and it may not be reflective of the average, but it seemed unusually easy to drive them from Britain.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Dutchfool posted:

After a while levies will recover, and you'll be able to call them up again if you have no levy standing. If you wipe out your opponents army, they'll be able to call up a new levy after a while. They also get a big relationship bonus with vassals if you are of a different nationality, so they'll have more troops at their disposal aswell.

It might be just this, but it seems like they're calling up additional reinforcements even while they have a standing army.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Newest Dev Diary, but it doesn't reveal too much new information: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...f0e78ebaddd686a

But I am excited about getting advice from gurus and yogis.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Gort posted:

It might be just this, but it seems like they're calling up additional reinforcements even while they have a standing army.

Mouse over, if it says "Reinforcing by xyz/month" then that's what's happening. It'll only appear if the army has some mercs/retinue in it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Allyn posted:

Mouse over, if it says "Reinforcing by xyz/month" then that's what's happening. It'll only appear if the army has some mercs/retinue in it.

It's not that, it's literally small groups of men spawning in each of their provinces then clumping into the main (already existing) army.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Gort posted:

Levies from individual vassals may have been mostly or entirely wiped out in the field, while replenished at home, at which point they can disbanded and raised again rather than disbanding and re-raising the whole army. You can do the same thing, but you might not want to pay that close attention. Other than that, troops only reinforce in the field if they are retinues or mercs (maybe some event troops? I can't think of any though), the AI has the same rules as the player.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Gort posted:

It's not that, it's literally small groups of men spawning in each of their provinces then clumping into the main (already existing) army.

As Darkrenown says, it sounds to me like they're dismissing individual levies and recalling them. If they've been in the field for a while their troop numbers back home have probably replenished, and they're looking to call up those new troops.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Darkrenown posted:

Levies from individual vassals may have been mostly or entirely wiped out in the field, while replenished at home, at which point they can disbanded and raised again rather than disbanding and re-raising the whole army.

This is what I see the AI doing, usually after a wipeout. Why I use 1 hunter-killer army (and then 1+ siege armies) generally now.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Ahhh. That makes sense. It never occurred to me that they might be dismissing and re-calling individual bits of their armies.

From a game design point-of-view, why is it OK for mercenaries and retinues to have the low-micromanagement "x men reinforced per month" system while normal levies don't? It'd be a lot less hassle than having to do the dismiss-then-recall dance with your army to replace losses.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Gort posted:

You don't have to dismiss all your levies in order to call up new ones. If the troops from one particular location have been wiped out or dismissed, you can re-raise the troops from that location without having to dismiss the entire army first. I'll do the same thing if I'm in a tough fight and badly need numbers - separate out the regiments that've been ground down to nearly nothing, rush them back to home territory and dismiss them, and then hit the "call up all vassal levies" button to call back the recovered levies. It's not something I do that often since it's usually not worth the effort, but if I've thrown my entire levies against a jihad and a battle goes poorly, I do it in order to pull every last troop I can out of those levies to put together a new doomstack before the invasion presses too far forward.

Gort posted:

Ahhh. That makes sense. It never occurred to me that they might be dismissing and re-calling individual bits of their armies.

From a game design point-of-view, why is it OK for mercenaries and retinues to have the low-micromanagement "x men reinforced per month" system while normal levies don't? It'd be a lot less hassle than having to do the dismiss-then-recall dance with your army to replace losses.

Because mercenaries and retinues are expensive as poo poo. They have a heavy up-front cost, mercenaries have an ongoing cost, and for retinues, the reinforcing costs mucho dough. Troop levies, on the other hand, are cheap - they basically just cost what it takes to feed them.

Zoinker
Jan 18, 2009
I had a funny thing happen to me yesterday while playing an Aztec world conquest game. I'd gone into the habit of inviting a bunch of holy men after conquering each kingdom for a fresh supply of content duke-material.

However, after conquering all the Aztec holy sites and reforming the faith, I did the same for England and suddenly found my court flooded with Aztec Catholics, who showed up in the character finder even when filtering exclusively for men of my own faith.

Wasn't much trouble really, since I could just make them reconvert giving them the duchies and everything in them, but I can't help but feel this might cause a problem down the line, especially since one of my holy sites ended under one of those Catholics, giving me a -5% to moral authority.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

ulmont posted:

This is what I see the AI doing, usually after a wipeout. Why I use 1 hunter-killer army (and then 1+ siege armies) generally now.

How do you designate armies hunter-killers?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Charlz Guybon posted:

How do you designate armies hunter-killers?

It's not a game setting, he just means he uses one army to seek out and kill enemy armies in the field, and leaves smaller groups behind to carry out sieges.

Myself, I just get everyone into a big mob and do sieges one at a time, as long as they're not taking attrition.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I like to consolidate all my guys and then try to provoke a setpiece battle; crushing an army in the field is worth way more warscore than a siege. I only settle down to start taking holdings once I can't get into any more fights that are worth my time.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Gort posted:

It's not a game setting, he just means he uses one army to seek out and kill enemy armies in the field, and leaves smaller groups behind to carry out sieges.

Right.

Gort posted:

Myself, I just get everyone into a big mob and do sieges one at a time, as long as they're not taking attrition.

I find that I want both the hunter-killer and siege stacks to be right around the attrition limits, so combined they would be over the limit.

CapnAndy posted:

I like to consolidate all my guys and then try to provoke a setpiece battle; crushing an army in the field is worth way more warscore than a siege. I only settle down to start taking holdings once I can't get into any more fights that are worth my time.

I like using mercenaries and retinues so that I can fight a series of setpiece battles against individual disorganized levies immediately after the war starts, rather than letting the enemy consolidate their guys as well...

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
If you can conveniently do so, crushing the enemy armies is usually the best course of action. If you can crush individual stacks before they consolidate, so much the better. If you're in a defensive war for territory, have less territory than your foe, or they have easy access to the war target area, you want to prevent enemy sieges and countersiege ASAP. If you're attacking, sieging the war target provinces is often more important than beating enemy sieges.

dogsarentdangerous
Aug 11, 2008
Is it possible, as a King (or Queen in this case) to press a De Jure Ducal claim on a Dukedom that is independent, but part of your De Jure Kingdom?

I get all the counties that make up the kingdom as causus belli, and have a few claimants to the duchy in my court (Women, but the current ruler of the duchy is a woman too)?

I'd really like to snap up the whole dukedom at once rather than county by county.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

dogsarentdangerous posted:

Is it possible, as a King (or Queen in this case) to press a De Jure Ducal claim on a Dukedom that is independent, but part of your De Jure Kingdom?

I get all the counties that make up the kingdom as causus belli, and have a few claimants to the duchy in my court (Women, but the current ruler of the duchy is a woman too)?

I'd really like to snap up the whole dukedom at once rather than county by county.

De jure wars will ALWAYS net you one single county, never more. Claim wars on the other hand are different. If you press the claim on a duchy that is de jure part of your kingdom, then the new duke (or duchess in your case) will become your vassal. So yes, press the claim of one of your claimants.

• Locked thread