Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

pomegranates posted:

Does anyone know how easy it is to get Malaysian food in Indonesia? Or how much crossover there is with the two cuisines? I love those weird ice desserts and if I can get them in Indonesia I'll be pretty chuffed. I'm already salivating at the thought of all the satay I'm gonna eat, too bad half my trip takes place during Ramadan.
Depends where you are. A lot of stuff is basically the same. The sambal is better, the martabak is worse and everything is deep fried.

I know for certain that there are Malaysian restaurants in Surabaya and Bali, and I'm sure there's a ton of them in Jakarta. Malang and Jogjakarta are also pretty cosmopolitan and should have their fair share.

What you call 'Nasi Sumatra' is called 'Padang' here. Rather than ordering it as a plattter at a restaurant, you go into a specific Padang Restaurant and pick the plates you want, like a buffet.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Feb 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

pomegranates posted:

Does anyone know how easy it is to get Malaysian food in Indonesia? Or how much crossover there is with the two cuisines? I love those weird ice desserts and if I can get them in Indonesia I'll be pretty chuffed. I'm already salivating at the thought of all the satay I'm gonna eat, too bad half my trip takes place during Ramadan.

EDIT: So I actually looked this up and:

:dance:

That's pretty much abc (ice kacang) - air batu campur (literally ice cube mix or something like that) and yeah there's a massive cross-over between indonesian and malay foods.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

pomegranates posted:

EDIT: So I actually looked this up and:

:dance:

I think the Indonesians may have their own type of satay? May be mistaken though - I've only been to Bandung and Bali. I think it's somehow easier to get Indonesian food in Malaysia, since I keep seeing Ayam Penyet stores mushrooming, and there's that Bumbu Desa/Ole Ole Bali chain which is going strong.

And if it's anything like Malaysia, they should have Ramadan markets where they set up a bunch of stalls and sell a FUCKLOAD of amazing, super-unhealthy food during the hours before sunset until after dinnertime.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
On the note of Indonesian food, the special lady friend was on a business trip and brought back a bag of this spicy peanutty dry paste that you add water to and eat with stuff. Similar to nam prik or prohok. It's awesome. This must be quite common - is there a name for it so I can look around BKK?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Does the idea of cheese ice cream disturb you guys?

pandesal ice cream sandwiches

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ReindeerF posted:

I love it when the cargo cult food adaptations become literalist. Like the Thai "i cree sanwit" that is literally a split bun with ice cream in it. I'm sure you've seen it many times. Cracks me up every time. Probably lucky they don't add cucumbers and a fried egg like in every other horrible sanwit.

Hot dog buns are for ice cream, not hot dogs. Which are sausages. And enjoy to make to littun squid ^_^

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

One girl that I met in Malaysia had a friend who studied abroad in the states and for ages, she couldn't find any condensed milk and was complaining about it to her roommate who told her that she could find it in the baking aisle in stores. She had been looking for it by coffee :v:

I loving loved condensed milk, it makes me sad that I can't get it on everything here :(

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007

ReindeerF posted:

On the topic of pizza and crazy ingredients I almost forget "white sauce" in pastas. It's not mayonnaise, it's not alfredo sauce, it's not carbonara sauce, it's not cheese, it's not anything identifiable. It is "white sauce" and it gets randomly inserted into all kinds of cargo cult Italian dishes - especially those tiny little baked tins of pasta with cheese on top. Sometimes they say cream sauce too.

White sauce is butter, flour & milk.

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?

We ordered pizza in for our staff who were working over the Christmas break. Every time we do this without fail they will ask for one of these abominations.

I wouldn't mind, but they then proceed to eat the only half-decent pizza first. :(

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

On baking again, I actually don't care for Japanese baked goods either. Which is a shame as KL has far more than it's fair share of decent Japanese bakeries. I also do not and will never understand why an entire region that is too hot and humid for whipped cream seems to have decided that whipped cream is basically the main ingredient in cakes. If I'm ordering cake I do not want it to be mostly composed of artificial cream like substance that leaves an oily coating and taste all over.

I'd say Cendol (shaved ice, sweet sauce, red beans and green jelly noodles in condensed milk) isn't quite like ice cream. It's a lot lighter and I can see why it would be so popular in a hot country as a dessert. It would also benefit a lot from not having red beans which have become one of my biggest :wtf: dessert ingredients.

Also pau are a Chinese steamed bun (in Mandarin Bao) and are delicious. Although I don't really get the sweet ones that much purely because kaya/lotus pastes/etc. are so incredibly sweet that I can't really differentiate between them. Dominoes in Malaysia seems to be pretty much the same as Dominoes in the UK quality wise (i.e. not great but what you'd expect from mass produced delivery pizza) although I've only had it once here so maybe I just got lucky? There's also Papa Johns in KL.

Although in case I sound like I hate food here, I really don't. I don't like 90% of the desserts but I will murder the gently caress out of a plate of beef rendang. Only sad thing in KL is that the best place I've found for that so far is a mall food court since mamaks don't tend to do it.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

MrNemo posted:

I will murder the gently caress out of a plate of beef rendang. Only sad thing in KL is that the best place I've found for that so far is a mall food court since mamaks don't tend to do it.

Rendang is a Malay dish, not a mamak thing. Keep looking for anywhere that sells Malay Nasi-based dishes, there's definitely going to be one that serves it. I'm relatively sure there's at least ONE Nasi Lemak stall at one of the LRT stations which offers rendang daging, along with deep fried lungs and other kinds of crazy things.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Rendang is a Malay dish,

Don't let the Sumatrans hear you say that :nyd:

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Rendang is a Malay dish, not a mamak thing. Keep looking for anywhere that sells Malay Nasi-based dishes, there's definitely going to be one that serves it. I'm relatively sure there's at least ONE Nasi Lemak stall at one of the LRT stations which offers rendang daging, along with deep fried lungs and other kinds of crazy things.
The best rendang in Indonesia comes from Malaysian restaurants, by-the-by. It's weird because it's a Sumatran dish, but in Java at least they just don't seem to be able to get it right. It's always chewy as hell.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

I think the Indonesians may have their own type of satay? May be mistaken though - I've only been to Bandung and Bali. I think it's somehow easier to get Indonesian food in Malaysia, since I keep seeing Ayam Penyet stores mushrooming, and there's that Bumbu Desa/Ole Ole Bali chain which is going strong.

And if it's anything like Malaysia, they should have Ramadan markets where they set up a bunch of stalls and sell a FUCKLOAD of amazing, super-unhealthy food during the hours before sunset until after dinnertime.

Indonesians have our own satay with beef, chicken, pork or goat. Some areas even have tiny snail (like escargo) dipped in this gooey tangy sauce. I'm not super familiar with malaysian food other than the usual chain restaurants but as far as I know satay outside of Indonesia are bigger and less sauced-up. Indo-style satay is less about the meat and more about dipping it in crazy amount of sauce. Then there's the different style of dipping it in sambal which I haven't seen (yet) outside of Bali (it originates from the northern part of Bali). It's drat popular in this one stall in Denpasar that's always crowded every single day. There's also a very good restaurant serving authentic Padang food in Sanur.

If anyone has any questions about food in Bali, I'm happy to help.

Also, to that guy who is planning to come to Indonesia during Ramadhan, uh, depends on where you go, like, if you go to big cities like Jakarta or Surabaya you'll be fine but if you go to more rural areas you might end up having trouble trying to find food. For instance, in Lombok island, during Ramadhan they banned everyone from eating in public during the fast so you have to hunt for food sellers in random alleyways as if you're buying drugs or something.

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?
Just saw that the police are trying to clear protest sites in Bangkok, and 3 people have been killed? What's going on over there local goons?

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Four now, once you count the police officer who was shot. The cops cleared a lot of long-standing, partly abandoned protest sites on Friday to little fanfare, but there was pretty heavy push back at some sites today. Judging by reports it was more intense than even the Laksi shootout a couple weeks back.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
More assclown reporting!

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Who are the KPT? A google search reveals only Michael Yon's facebook page, where he says stuff like this.

quote:

Many people realize that the attack by the police today against the KPT was initiated by reaction to a fortune teller in Burma. As the story goes, the fortune teller told Prime Minister Yingluck that she must regain her power by entering the Government House to conduct a black magic ceremony. Deadline is midnight tomorrow night, which is about 28 hours from now.

KPT protestors have been blockading the Government House. After the fortune teller's advice, the police made an attack today. Result so far is four dead and about 59 wounded. Everyone expects a major battle in the next 12 hours or so.

Yingluck, according to the story, must go into the Government House, and among her black magic errands, she must go to the top of the House and paint this Pra Prom (Brahma) red. If she fails, she will lose power and her brother can never return to Thailand.

So the Battle of the Fortune Teller has already begun. I will spend the night with KPT and make regular updates. I checked with leadership at PDRC tonight. If KPT comes under heavy attack, PDRC will reinforce en masse. The farmers also are streaming into Bangkok as tomorrow is the start of their big days, too.
Again, googling this ("Yingluck fortune teller" etc) only brings up Michael Yon's Facebook page. The dude's got a wikipedia page, which totally wasn't written by him guys.

quote:

at one time enjoyed "rock star" status among individual soldiers, according to Brian Williams of NBC.[4]

EDIT: more research into this guy is giving me serious Caro vibes, except he's more dangerous and more popular. Conservatives apparently love the dude. According to his biography he was a green beret and he also once killed a dude in a bar fight but was never charged for it. He also claims to have taken weapons from fallen soldiers he was following and used them in battle. I don't know whether he's a God Level poo poo-that-didn't-happen guy, or whether he's just a loving lunatic. Either way, he's freaking me out.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 18, 2014

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

cent0r posted:

No poo poo? My special lady friend is a legit good international cook and even she didn't know what it was. I think it was too baanok, heh. Thanks for that.

Tytan posted:

Just saw that the police are trying to clear protest sites in Bangkok, and 3 people have been killed? What's going on over there local goons?
I accidentally wandered right through the middle of this on my way home from visiting a business partner company. The boat ends next to Democracy Monument, so I stumbled out into the street heading toward this new pizza place around Khao San area and I was like, "Hey this seems more tense than usual..." heh.

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

EDIT: more research into this guy is giving me serious Caro vibes, except he's more dangerous and more popular. Conservatives apparently love the dude. According to his biography he was a green beret and he also once killed a dude in a bar fight but was never charged for it. He also claims to have taken weapons from fallen soldiers he was following and used them in battle. I don't know whether he's a God Level poo poo-that-didn't-happen guy, or whether he's just a loving lunatic. Either way, he's freaking me out.
He was kicked out of the military for that bar fight reportedly. His whole shtick is that he wanders around the world looking for hot spots and reporting that the military in any country is doing nothing wrong. He has no particular journalistic skills and integrity that I've ever seen. I don't think he's like a paid hack, I just think he's a total hack. He showed up during the Red Shirt protests of 2009 (?) and it was the same line. At the time I didn't know who he was, so I was like, "Oh that's interesting..." then I noticed that in every situation it was never the military who did anything first. Total clown, basically.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 18, 2014

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Video of the grenade attack :stare:

:nws: http://vimeo.com/86981734 :nws:

:nws::nws:

The Saddest Rhino fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 18, 2014

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Suthep's lot are claiming that the riot policeman was throwing a grenade at them then dropped it. I think that video should clear up who's full of poo poo in this case.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
That guy who wrote the Straits Times article, I didn't agree with his take on the resolution, but he nailed the mindset. It's like abortion or something. It's Red versus Blue in American terms. These people, many of them, exist in separate worlds with separate sources of information and and separate facts. There's no convincing many of them of anything on either side.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

Video of the grenade attack :stare:

Ouch! Poor bastard. The way his leg is just flapping around after the explosion :( (might want to NSFW that)

Now listening to Thai news caster struggling with pronouncing Instagram. "Intragam, Intagam, In-sa-gam"

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ReindeerF posted:

No poo poo? My special lady friend is a legit good international cook and even she didn't know what it was. I think it was too baanok, heh. Thanks for that.

A Texan doesn't know what white sauce is? What the hell do you put on your chicken fried steaks?

Also I'm pretty sure that Thai white sauce for pizza is not that.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

It's probably derived from condensed milk, "cheese" with some MFC for flavour.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
There's a whole lot of weird occult stuff related to Thaksin and also some of the past coup leaders. See the story of Sondhi doing a Khmer magic ritual with sanitary pads. Rumor in Burma is that Thaksin et al were in Yangon for some black magic poo poo but Jesus there's some Western reporters who eat that up without pause. Might have happened, who knows, but there's not much fact checking.

Burma does have a lot of occult poo poo, to be fair. But still.

MothraAttack fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 19, 2014

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

The white sauce recipe (flour, butter, milk) is bechamel sauce and unless the proportions are really weird I don't think that's the white sauce I've seen in Wasian food which seems sweeter and a bit more liquid. I'm prone to agree with lemonadesweetheart that it's a load of stuff that shouldn't go anywhere near food.

Also the Thai protests seem to be getting crazy, the corruption commission is also apparently charging Ying Luck with corruption over the rice buying scheme so I suspect the yellows are beginning to make a power play and hoping to drag the army in with them. So far it doesn't seem like Ying Luk is willing to give them any grounds for military involvement though.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

MothraAttack posted:

There's a whole lot of weird occult stuff related to Thaksin and also some of the past coup leaders. See the story of Sondhi doing a Khmer magic ritual with sanitary pads. Rumor in Burma is that Thaksin et al were in Yangon for some black magic poo poo but Jesus there's some Western reporters who eat that up without pause. Might have happened, who knows, but there's not much fact checking.

Burma does have a lot of occult poo poo, to be fair. But still.
I have no idea about the veracity given how much rumor swirls around everything in Thailand, but this was a big thing when Thaksin was still in office. I recall a number of my Thai friends back then explaining how Thaksin was famous for flying to Naypyidaw to see Than Shwe's personal fortune teller who was some sort of blindmystic into black magic or whatever. I do recall how hard he worked to show himself off as a commoner, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was part of his cultivated image. It's the Thai equivalent of naming Jesus as your favorite philosopher or whatever during a Presidential campaign. During his final hurrah here, he staged this reality show that was hilarious. The cameras followed him as he rode a scooter around Isaan and the Lanna areas, stopped to buy fruit, cooked food, walked in fields and so on. I mean it was smart and it worked in public opinion terms, but it was so concocted.

MrNemo posted:

Also the Thai protests seem to be getting crazy, the corruption commission is also apparently charging Ying Luck with corruption over the rice buying scheme so I suspect the yellows are beginning to make a power play and hoping to drag the army in with them. So far it doesn't seem like Ying Luk is willing to give them any grounds for military involvement though.
Yeah, sounds like yet another attempt. They haven't been able to get enough public support and their attempts to provoke a violent response have failed so it's just the right time for the Constipaution Court to step in and dissolve parties, ban people from office and generally create some ostensibly legal way for the Yellows to possibly seep back into power.

cadenza
Dec 25, 2006

integrity
Hi chaps, thanks for all the replies about my Sumatra/malaria question. I've actually ended up in BKK and had a bit of a nightmare - my bank card decided to disappear and then my backup credit card locked! Luckily I've been somewhat rescued by someone sending me some money by Western Union this morning, so should be fine to survive until my new card gets sent over. I'm moving over to Silom this morning and would love to meet up with any of you guys who are here if you're available. Because I had no access to money yesterday I haven't done a great deal yet - just wandered around and observed the protests (from a distance!). If anyone wants to hang out, send me a PM and I'll shoot you my number for whatsapp or something.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

cent0r posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bechamel_sauce

You can mix it with a lot of flavored stuff; for Italian it will usually be cheesy.

pomegranates
Oct 16, 2012

This is probably a huge stretch, but has anyone here been to North Sulawesi (or other far flung corners of Indonesia)?

Also, buying unidentifiable fried things in seedy back alleys sounds hilarious to me, but it would probably only be funny the first time.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
You're wrong son, that's one of the few SE Asia things that is good every time.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
In Indonesia they have the word 'gorengan', which means "misc fried stuff".

Remember going to the fair as a kid, then you gave the guy a dollar and got to pull a random toy out of the barrel? And sometimes it was AWESOME but sometimes you ended up with your head in the toilet, throwing up from all the lead paint?

Gorengan is like that but for big kids.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)
I've only been to Makasar of Sulawesi, don't know anything about the other parts. Also keep note that Sulawesi used to be (still is?) a hotspot of sectarian violence as the population is divided between Catholics VS Muslims. You'll be fine if you stick to big cities like Makasar and Menado but I wouldn't venture into the boonies.

Also, I wouldn't buy gorengan off the street. Maybe if it's a proper place selling food but not some random cart frying stuff by the side of the road. The common method they used (which I have seen myself though not in Sulawesi) is to fry a plastic bottle (usually mineral spring water) before frying whatever they it is they fry there. Because apparently it makes the crispiness last longer. I have not bought any gorengan off roadsides ever since.

If you do find a good gorengan shop, do try to fried banana.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

wid posted:

The common method they used (which I have seen myself though not in Sulawesi) is to fry a plastic bottle (usually mineral spring water) before frying whatever they it is they fry there. Because apparently it makes the crispiness last longer. I have not bought any gorengan off roadsides ever since.
This is completely plausible, haha, which is what's making me laugh. I try to suss out places where the people seem to care about their ingredients here in Thailand, but it's hit or miss. I have found that if the stall is clean, the ingredients are well-kept and there's an older lady cooking I'm usually good, heh.

That said, the other day I was out on the bike at like 02:00 after work looking for a make-to-order place and I found one. Kinda dingy, near a sewer, but I wanted kee mao gai. I sat down, ordered, ate the food and looked over as the guy put his hand over the front of his waste bucket and used the hand as a strainer while he dumped the contents of the waste bucket into the sewer grate. He then washed his hand off in a bucket of water he kept for general washing and wiped it. I actually made an audible groan and he looked over, so I had to pretend it was a mosquito bite or something. Still, yech.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Feb 20, 2014

pomegranates
Oct 16, 2012

wid posted:

I've only been to Makasar of Sulawesi, don't know anything about the other parts. Also keep note that Sulawesi used to be (still is?) a hotspot of sectarian violence as the population is divided between Catholics VS Muslims. You'll be fine if you stick to big cities like Makasar and Menado but I wouldn't venture into the boonies.

Also, I wouldn't buy gorengan off the street. Maybe if it's a proper place selling food but not some random cart frying stuff by the side of the road. The common method they used (which I have seen myself though not in Sulawesi) is to fry a plastic bottle (usually mineral spring water) before frying whatever they it is they fry there. Because apparently it makes the crispiness last longer. I have not bought any gorengan off roadsides ever since.

If you do find a good gorengan shop, do try to fried banana.
This is the first I've heard of it being dangerous. The places I most want to visit (the Sangihe Taulud island chain) are pretty squarely in the boonies. Should I be worried (I'm a woman, if that's at all relevant)? For those not in the know, this guy's photos should explain why I want to go there.

Also, I'm currently brushing up on my Bahasa Indonesia and "pisang goreng" is one of the first things I memorised, right after "gunung berapi".

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Cheap oil can be bought in huge plastic packets. There have been rumours (or maybe substantiated news) that street vendors typically don't even bother emptying them, and dump the whole thing including the plastic packet into the oil to increase crispiness as wid mentioned. I'd probably trust a place that is in a store more than something by the streetside operated by someone with only two teeth, but really if you see a bunch of people eating there, it (hopefully) should be fine.

The best goreng thing I have seen is in Siem Reap where a bike stall sold tarantula, and they look fried to death and limp and absolutely poo poo, for USD 1 each. And there's a sign saying "To take photo please pay USD 5".

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I've never seen them dump the plastic bag of oil in and cook it here, though I'm sure it happens, but I have definitely seen them toss the plastic bag of charcoal into a grill and just burn off the plastic as a way of lighting the charcoal. I attribute this one mostly to laziness and, surely, the notion that "It burn go way, no poblun."

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

The best goreng thing I have seen is in Siem Reap where a bike stall sold tarantula, and they look fried to death and limp and absolutely poo poo, for USD 1 each. And there's a sign saying "To take photo please pay USD 5".

Usually the places which say that have a live tarantula there which the people are taking photos with. Surely that's what it was, right? Not trying to charge you $5 when you could just buy it for $1 and throw it away if you wanted after?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Hey Tao freaks, figured you'd like this:

http://bk.asia-city.com/travel/news/thai-island-ranked-top-10-in-the-world

Also, this means your beach paradise is basically over. Regards.