Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe

Szurumbur posted:

There should be a note in the OP not to break the Reinforced Glass when you are on a spaceship, I don't know what I expected to happen :v:
Fun fact for trolling pubbies: The Ignis has enough range and a cone big enough to break that glass from JUST outside the door to those rooms. Yesterday we had a tile set of 4 of those rooms in a row. Oh god the pubbie rage :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

So if I'm looking at replacing my starter rifle, the Karak is a good weapon to craft? Are the materials accessible in the first two planets?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Bob NewSCART posted:

So if I'm looking at replacing my starter rifle, the Karak is a good weapon to craft? Are the materials accessible in the first two planets?
You get the requisite Neurodes on Earth, but that's the hardest part (it's not actually very hard).

You'll probably want to replace your starter rifle with the normal Braton first, though. It's available in the market for 25k credits, no rafting required, and will be a massive improvement until you get the resources to start building other stuff (like the Karak).

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Do I just need to allow enough mod capacity points or whatever to fit all my abilities in my warframe, or is there something I'm missing with the weird little symbols on the corners of the empty slots for mods?

Also could I get a clan invite on sadboys2004 (ps4)

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Pierson posted:

The Magnus is a good secondary but not nearly as cool as the Vasto, which is a space revolver.

The Magnus is also a space revolver, just that the spinning bullet chamber thing isn't as visible. The Magnus has a way cooler reload animation, though and I overall prefer the look of it over the Vasto.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Also what are some decent recommendations if I do manage to come into some plat(because I might end up dropping some cash if this game stays as entertaining as it is now) other than warframe/weapon slots? I'm talking overpowered warframes and primary weapons mostly?

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Bob NewSCART posted:

Do I just need to allow enough mod capacity points or whatever to fit all my abilities in my warframe, or is there something I'm missing with the weird little symbols on the corners of the empty slots for mods?

Also could I get a clan invite on sadboys2004 (ps4)

If the symbols match on the slot and the mod, then the mod only uses up half the points. If they don't match, I think it's a 2 point penalty to the cost.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Bob NewSCART posted:

Also what are some decent recommendations if I do manage to come into some plat(because I might end up dropping some cash if this game stays as entertaining as it is now) other than warframe/weapon slots? I'm talking overpowered warframes and primary weapons mostly?

There is a list in the OP for what to spend your plat on.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Sandweed posted:

There is a list in the OP for what to spend your plat on.

I saw that, but the warframes/weapons are listed as bad obviously because if you're trying to be smart with your money you can just make them with blueprints. I'm asking what good choices would be if I wanted to skip the long crafting process of some of the harder/more time consuming things to acquire??

Also do mastery points accumulate if you don't rank up? So let's say I'm rank 3 and I fail the test to get rank 4, fifty times, do all the mastery points I've earned stay earned, and count towards the next rank up after I pass or no?

Bob NewSCART fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Feb 18, 2014

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

No weapon is worth the price, and yes mastery keep building up even if you don't do the test.

Cascade Failure
Jan 8, 2010

Bob NewSCART posted:

I saw that, but the warframes/weapons are listed as bad obviously because if you're trying to be smart with your money you can just make them with blueprints. I'm asking what good choices would be if I wanted to skip the long crafting process of some of the harder/more time consuming things to acquire??

Also do mastery points accumulate if you don't rank up? So let's say I'm rank 3 and I fail the test to get rank 4, fifty times, do all the mastery points I've earned stay earned, and count towards the next rank up after I pass or no?

Getting the 'good' weapons and frames won't automatically get you very far because of the importance of boosting their effectiveness with mods. If I had to start again from scratch I'd probably go Loki/Mag to begin with (both really strong at the moment, Mag moreso at the beginning because of the number 1 Pull skill). Play some easy mercury missions until mastery rank 2 (allows trading), then replace the starting Braton-mk1 with the regular version. After that get the basic +damage, +shields etc. mods from goons (just ask in clanchat), soak some xp from a high-level defence mission or three (again just ask goons for help). This'll get you a bunch of credits, cores & mods to level up your basic mods and your weapons/frame to level 15 or so. From there it'll be a much smoother ride, check out the resources you need to make whatever and ask for a taxi to a relevant defence mission, you can do those in the first 4-5 planets easily even with pubbies (The mission will stay unlocked once you've passed it once).

That said, if you really want to buy weapons/frames outright I'd go with Vauban (awesome set of skills, a pain in the rear end to acquire the 'smart' way). Good low-level primaries are the Karak (rifle, rank 2) and Drakgoon (shotgun, rank 3). Good secondaries are Vasto (rank 0) and Kunai (rank 2). The plat prices for those are simply ludicrous though, the Braton with a 20 plat catalyst and some basic mods will be good enough to farm the resources you'll need to craft them from blueprints.

Cascade Failure fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Feb 18, 2014

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Does Pressure Point effect the Kestral's charge/throw damage or is that only Rending Strike/Killing Blow?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Croccers posted:

Does Pressure Point effect the Kestral's charge/throw damage or is that only Rending Strike/Killing Blow?
The latter. The charge/normal attack disconnect in melee weapon mods is a big personal peeve of mine.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Cascade Failure posted:

Getting the 'good' weapons and frames won't automatically get you very far because of the importance of boosting their effectiveness with mods. If I had to start again from scratch I'd probably go Loki/Mag to begin with (both really strong at the moment, Mag moreso at the beginning because of the number 1 Pull skill). Play some easy mercury missions until mastery rank 2 (allows trading), then replace the starting Braton-mk1 with the regular version. After that get the basic +damage, +shields etc. mods from goons (just ask in clanchat), soak some xp from a high-level defence mission or three (again just ask goons for help). This'll get you a bunch of credits, cores & mods to level up your basic mods and your weapons/frame to level 15 or so. From there it'll be a much smoother ride, check out the resources you need to make whatever and ask for a taxi to a relevant defence mission, you can do those in the first 4-5 planets easily even with pubbies (The mission will stay unlocked once you've passed it once).

That said, if you really want to buy weapons/frames outright I'd go with Vauban (awesome set of skills, a pain in the rear end to acquire the 'smart' way). Good low-level primaries are the Karak (rifle, rank 2) and Drakgoon (shotgun, rank 3). Good secondaries are Vasto (rank 0) and Kunai (rank 2). The plat prices for those are simply ludicrous though, the Braton with a 20 plat catalyst and some basic mods will be good enough to farm the resources you'll need to craft them from blueprints.

Most of my poo poo is almost at level 20(warframe, weapons) and I'm only a bit past halfway through Venus. I guess my main goal is to get into the goonclan and replace my lovely rifle right now.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Helter Skelter posted:

The latter. The charge/normal attack disconnect in melee weapon mods is a big personal peeve of mine.
It's not that much of a problem with the Kestral (And I assume Glaive). There's a bunch of mods that effect Charge damage, I've stacked a couple on it with a mid-level Punch Through thing and it's fun to 1HK a line of enemies with one throw.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Zakmonster posted:

The Magnus is also a space revolver, just that the spinning bullet chamber thing isn't as visible. The Magnus has a way cooler reload animation, though and I overall prefer the look of it over the Vasto.

Is there an Akmagnus yet? If so, goddamn I need one.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

Fuzz posted:

Is there an Akmagnus yet? If so, goddamn I need one.

Yes there is, and yes you do. It may not be the stat-based best handgun, but it's so much fun to use.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
Yes there is an akmagnus, and it is very very good. Even by the stats it's in the top 10 dps sidearms, which means you can use it just about as effectively as Soma.

Sidearms are kinda op.

Denzine fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 18, 2014

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

What's the ak before the magnus signify?

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky

Bob NewSCART posted:

What's the ak before the magnus signify?

Akimbo, I believe

i.e two of them wielded in tandem

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah, there is an Akmagnus and I potato'd my Magnus before I realized! :argh:

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Ruddha posted:

Akimbo, I believe

Ah, makes sense. Just gonna repost this since I posted it at 4am or something retarded and it's been buried by now,

I need a clan invite to sadboys2004 on ps4

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Flipswitch posted:

Yeah, there is an Akmagnus and I potato'd my Magnus before I realized! :argh:

Imagine being one of the many many people who potatoed a Magnus before there was an Akmagnus :v:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Shugojin posted:

Imagine being one of the many many people who potatoed a Magnus before there was an Akmagnus :v:
I did this with the Viper too I think. DE should just port the potato over to be honest.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

I sacrificed my potatoed and formaed Cestra to make Dual Cestras. I have no regrets.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Shugojin posted:

stop making fun of me

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Bob NewSCART posted:

I don't think anyone really answered your question so here's some stuff that you could buy if you really wanted to lay down plat, ignoring price and just going by how good they are.

Warframes
Vauban - As said very good and very hard to get normally. More of a 'sentry' warframe with abilities that take enemies out of the fight without killing them.
Nova - Has an obscenely good ultimate ability that turns everything in its radius into a bomb detonated upon death, which basically daisy-chain-kills whole rooms of enemies as one dying sets off the explosion of another one, ad infinitum. Very fun to use, very expensive to buy.
Rhino - Obscenely good in general. All his abilities are useful and he's a tank to kill.
Ember - Isn't a top-tier Fire Goddess anymore but is still fun due to two huge abilities that set everything around you on fire.

Primaries
Soma - Top-tier rifle.
Drakgoon - Flak cannon with adjustable cone of fire.
Sobek - Lower-powered shotgun with large clip. I find it boring and dull but some people swear by it.
Paris - Bows rule now. Very strong but requires mods to really make use of due to long charge times.
Penta - Grenade-launcher with hilarious risk of suicide.

Secondaries
Akvastos/Akmagnus - As said in this thread both these are great space-revolvers.
Akbolto - These are hard to make since you're required to buy two guns and then craft them into two more guns, and then finally craft them one more time to make the Ak version. Nailguns that pin dudes to walls, very fun.
Akstilleto - Right now the most powerful submachineguns I think? Look and sound great too.
Hikou/Kunai - Fun throwing knives/shuriken.
(Dual) Bronco - Basically a shotgun with access to the pistol modset, which makes them strong as hell.

Melee
Galatine - 100% best melee weapon right now due to a variety of factors. Huge broadsword.
Zoren - Good weapon but mainly used for 'zorencoptering', abusing slide attack attributes to get mad speed and air.
Orthos - One of the only other good melee weapons right now, again because of charge attacks.
Honestly don't buy melee until we see what 2.0 brings.

VVV Man it's been so long since I made him I forget where he drops. I'm just listin' poo poo really.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 18, 2014

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's not really worth buying Rhino with plat, since he's pretty easy to just get the components for.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
nitpick: Slide attack, not charge attack.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Changed.

If you really want to build a whole bunch of stuff the best thing to do would probably be to drop 80 plat on a resource drop-rate doubler and a resource amount doubler. I did it this weekend and the amount of stuff you'll get is nuts and probably so much that you'll run out of credits before you run out of mats. Plus you'll get 100,000 Nanospores or so and can start your Nanospore Collection. :v:

Pierson fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 18, 2014

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I will always recommend against buying warframes with platinum, I think it's a huge waste of money for something you can get without having to spend a cent. The beginning of the game is unfortunately really boring due to the way opportunities open up (suffering through your first warframe and a couple weapons for a long time) but after that you can get everything very steadily on your own, and it opens up enough that you'll always be playing with something new while you're earning the next thing, so it doesn't really slow down until you truly have almost everything in the game.

Getting past the start sucks but once you do, you can get so many new warframes and weapons so quickly that you'll have multiple sitting in your inventory at level 0 while you use another you just got. I don't think you should buy Vauban either. If you play long enough you'll eventually get him and there are so many other characters to play with until then that you definitely won't run out of opportunities.

You can speed your way out of that early boring part a lot if you ask people in the clan to help you get the stuff you need. It's no trouble and there's usually people willing to help.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's not really worth buying Rhino with plat, since he's pretty easy to just get the components for.

It's not really worth it to buy any frame or weapon other than Loki and Volt. Spend that plat on potatoes, formas, and weapon/frame slots.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
The only Warframe I'd buy is Vauban because he's a pain in the rear end to get otherwise.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Yeah, I really don't like most of that list, because almost all of it is stuff you can craft from the market at any level, the exceptions being-

Vauban - Which can only be built after you gather the parts from alerts (which are completely random as to when they occur).

Soma - Has a high rank requirement, and I guess you can get around that by buying it with plat? (maybe).

Penta- Same as Soma.

I was gonna put the AkStilleto as something I agreed with, but if you're in the clan then it's apparently as easy to build as anything else I guess?(I wasn't paying attention when I built mine.)

Sobek, Kunai, and Hikou, do have moderate rank requirements as well, but I don't really think they are very good or fun in general.

Which is really what I would say is a big part of the problem with DE's monetization of the game, you don't really get a whole lot out of the deal by purchasing weapons and frames with plat. You get the slot and potato the weapon or frame comes with when you buy it with plat, and that's all the value that can't be easily achieved for free otherwise most of the time; 40 plat worth for frames and 26 plat worth for weapons.

If you're really jonesing to spend some plat, use it on slots, cosmetics, potatoes, etc; stuff that you cannot (easily) get for free.

e: IF you're just starting out, then for the love of god play with some goons, get them to ferry you to the planets you need mats from to build whatever it is you want to make, and they will probably help you farm the blueprints and mats you need as well, lots of goons at this point only have mastery as a goal in-between updates. I'm not in goonclan personally for reasons, but I'd be glad to help as well; I'm AndroidHub in-game too, so just send me a friend request or group invite

AndroidHub fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 18, 2014

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

I'd avoid ever platbuying a weapon that has a Prime equivalent, because you'll end up eventually getting/using the Prime version anyway since they look cooler and generally have slightly better stats and existing slot attunements.

Weapon slots, reactors, and frame slots are always worthwhile purchases. Hoover (the resource sucking/shotgun sentinel) isn't a terrible platbuy for a newer player, since it can take awhile to farm up & build, and he'll tremendously improve your farming experience. If you want to pick up color packs for space ninja dressup, "saturated classic" is the best one.

I can, however, recommend picking up Vauban if you want to buy a frame, since he's stupid annoying to get the "free" way and is probably the second or third best frame for defense/mobdef games, especially against corpus and infested.

Never buy keys, mods or resources (except reactors and maybe a forma if you really badly need one RIGHT NOW) with plat. They're just too easy to farm for, and the exchange rate is godawful.

Fakeedit:
Also what Pierson said, minus the nanospores. Grab credit/resource buffs and power farm with other goons over a week/weekend.

Realedit:

Shab posted:

Are there are ways to unlock warframe slots other than straight up platinum?

No. What you can do is farm up rare mods and trade them for plat with which to buy more slots though.

sushibandit fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 18, 2014

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
Every time there's a new sidearm released that vaguely looks like it could be dual-wielded, I just make one, get it to 30 and leave it alone. I wait for the eventual akimbo version to be released before spending any potatoes.

I did this since I got shafted with the Viper and it's worked out well - Kama, Vasto, Magnus, Lex all ended up with dual versions.

In fact, I didn't even bother getting the Magnus until the Akmagnus was released.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I made a Warframe account a loooong time ago, played for an hour, and never touched it again until this weekend. Now I'm having a blast. Because of how old my account is, I had 150 plat and my only frame is Volt. I spent my plat on the saturated colors palette and the hoover vacuum sentinel. I have no regrets.

Are there are ways to unlock warframe slots other than straight up platinum? I'm working on a Rhino but once that's complete I'm all out of slots and long term I want to go for a Trinity.

edit: oh, and what would be a good melee weapon to go for from Skana now that Cronus BP is no longer a guaranteed drop?

Ben Nerevarine fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 18, 2014

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Shab posted:

I made a Warframe account a loooong time ago, played for an hour, and never touched it again until this weekend. Now I'm having a blast. Because of how old my account is, I had 150 plat and my only frame is Volt. I spent my plat on the saturated colors palette and the hoover vacuum sentinel. I have no regrets.

Are there are ways to unlock warframe slots other than straight up platinum? I'm working on a Rhino but once that's complete I'm all out of slots and long term I want to go for a Trinity.

Nope. Gotta buy them.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Zakmonster posted:

Every time there's a new sidearm released that vaguely looks like it could be dual-wielded, I just make one, get it to 30 and leave it alone. I wait for the eventual akimbo version to be released before spending any potatoes.

I did this since I got shafted with the Viper and it's worked out well - Kama, Vasto, Magnus, Lex all ended up with dual versions.

In fact, I didn't even bother getting the Magnus until the Akmagnus was released.

I have a spare Detron BP, receiver and barrel in my inventory.

Just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Absolutely no other way to get slots. That said you can just sell a couple half decent mods and get the plat for slots easy.