Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

greatn posted:

They should start making nothing but sequels to dead series. Shenmue 3, Power Stone 3, Mega Man Legends 3, Seiken Densetsu 4, Startropics 3, New Super Crash Bandicoot Returns!, Bayonetta 2, Killer 8, Metroid: The Third Heretofore Unmentioned M, Sega's Facefish That Talks the Legend Continues, etc.

It will maximize pissing everyone off and not really move any console, so it would be right up Nintendo's alley.

This would be gaming's ambrosia (just like Dreamcast was)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I'm probably late but the real issue of the review debacle is not just a videogame problem. A lot of the 7/10 reviews were generally negative but they didn't want to look like they were slamming a well made game so they gave it a "decent" score because all people do is read scores. They didn't have the balls to just say they didn't like the game. You can see the same thing in the AV Club review of the House of Cards second season. You could tell the reviewer had nothing but negative feelings about the series and expressed negatives in all but maybe one paragraph but the season review score? B.

I think that's why I appreciate guys like Jim Sterling. I loved NES Remix. He didn't. What does he give it? **/*****, which is clearly saying he felt it was medicore and the review represents that.

"Oh Nintendo, what are we going to do with you?" isn't what you say about a 7/10 game. That's what you say about a 3/10 game.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

zenintrude posted:

I'd disagree... there are probably not an insignificant amount of people who bought a PS4 over an Xbone because they like Sony's first party properties and subsidiaries.

All other things equal, absolutely. As far as game selection does IMO, all other things are equal. They both get 99% the same stuff, so their exclusive properties are a much bigger deal when weighing the two.

Harlock is also right though. First-party games don't matter that much nowadays, what matters is what games in general are available. Particularly the big budget AAA games that big studios are working on. First-party titles matter when choosing between one or the other. PS4 First Party vs. Xbone First Party is irrelevant to the Wii-U, because they both also have that other stuff.

It's like, I could play the new Infamous AND 99% of all the games. Or I could play Titanfall AND 99% of all the games. Or I could play Mario Kart.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I'm probably late but the real issue of the review debacle is not just a videogame problem. A lot of the 7/10 reviews were generally negative but they didn't want to look like they were slamming a well made game so they gave it a "decent" score because all people do is read scores. They didn't have the balls to just say they didn't like the game. You can see the same thing in the AV Club review of the House of Cards second season. You could tell the reviewer had nothing but negative feelings about the series and expressed negatives in all but maybe one paragraph but the season review score? B.

I think that's why I appreciate guys like Jim Sterling. I loved NES Remix. He didn't. What does he give it? **/*****, which is clearly saying he felt it was medicore and the review represents that.

"Oh Nintendo, what are we going to do with you?" isn't what you say about a 7/10 game. That's what you say about a 3/10 game.

Jim Sterling is pretty much everything right with games journalism.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
If anyone does not realize that a review is a personal opinion, and some people are going to like a game and some people are going to hate it, they should legally be declared retarded. Movies with near universal praise that win Oscars get poo poo on by the podunk sun from time to time. Stop bitching about Gamespot's review. It doesn't matter.

*Edit* I hit reply like 2 pages ago without realizing there was more.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 18, 2014

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

But no one claimed TF was going to be a system seller. As a product, it was never intended to be a system seller.

Maybe if Nintendo wants to sell Wii Us then they should release games that might entice potential customers to buy a Wii U.

I realize I'm quoting this from two pages ago but holy crap everything is on fire at Nintendo why would they release a game at this point if they didn't think it would sell consoles? Of course they think this game will sell consoles. They aren't publishing Donkey Kong Country Returns: Tropical Freeze because it's a piece of high art that deserves to exist for the good of humanity.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Zack_Gochuck posted:

If anyone does not realize that a review is a personal opinion, and some people are going to like a game and some people are going to hate it, they should legally be declared retarded. Movies with near universal praise that win Oscars get poo poo on by the podunk sun from time to time. Stop bitching about Gamespot's review. It doesn't matter.

*Edit* I hit reply like 2 pages ago without realizing there was more.

You are still right and I appreciate your post.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Soul Glo posted:

I realize I'm quoting this from two pages ago but holy crap everything is on fire at Nintendo why would they release a game at this point if they didn't think it would sell consoles? Of course they think this game will sell consoles. They aren't publishing Donkey Kong Country Returns: Tropical Freeze because it's a piece of high art that deserves to exist for the good of humanity.

Here's the thing- on other consoles, a game only has to sell itself. If it can move copies of software, it'll do fine. On the Wii U, to succeed, it has to move itself and consoles, because if it only sells to people who already own a Wii U, it's not going to make money. The install base just isn't there. It's a big reason to not bother with porting games to the Wii U- it's available elsewhere, no one is going to buy a Wii U for it, it's not going to be able to do enough numbers to turn a reasonable profit.

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013
If I hadn't been silly and bought a Wii U for no reason other than "Just because" I would have needed at least a new Zelda and a new Metroid. But really what I want is for Nintendo to actually take some risks and develop some new franchises. Unfortunately the franchises they are continuing to drive into the ground are the same ones over and over. Mario and Donkey Kong and Smash Brothers. Games like Eternal Darkness were the reason I bought a Gamecube and look back on it as a rock solid console that had few but great games on it.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

G-Whizard posted:

Games like Eternal Darkness were the reason I bought a Gamecube and look back on it as a rock solid console that had few but great games on it.

Not developed by Nintendo.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I know people who are buying a Wii U for Tropical Freeze. Not enough for anyone to notice and in :canada: where nobody cares but they are still going to do it. They are a niché.

The real issue is that at no point should you be worrying how many games you have released. You should have a steady flow of everything, whether you categorize it as a system seller or a system sustainer or a niché title or a shovelware title. Doesn't matter. Just have games coming out.

Another solid high quality title on the Wii U is a great thing but there should also be a game coming out for a sports fan this month, an FPS for a shooter fan, another kind of platformer, a fitness title, a party title, some indie games, etc.

Quality and quantity. You want both. You don't want to be losing out on one or the other. A strong, healthy system has both.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I like how nobody considers the idea of Nintendo actually getting third party support as even a remote possibility. There is nothing they can do to make the WiiU not a money-haemorrhaging failure by themselves, it's just not possible to make enough first party software to do that. Their best option is to just drop the console. Either they compete with MS and Sony or they pull out of the console market, those seem to be the only possibilities.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

icantfindaname posted:

I like how nobody considers the idea of Nintendo actually getting third party support as even a remote possibility. There is nothing they can do to make the WiiU not a money-haemorrhaging failure by themselves, it's just not possible to make enough first party software to do that. Their best option is to just drop the console. Either they compete with MS and Sony or they pull out of the console market, those seem to be the only possibilities.

If they ever want to release another console they have to keep this one on life support for at least another couple of years I'd think.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

icantfindaname posted:

Either they compete with MS and Sony or they pull out of the console market, those seem to be the only possibilities.

So you see no market for a console that doesn't compete with MS and Sony?

I think Nintendo's bigger mistake was not making another economically sound console. If the Wii U retailed at a profit making $199 it wouldn't hurt so much when there's only a dozen good games.

At first I thought the price was fine but when it's at a loss at $250 that's Nintendo losing its way. They almost always retail at $199.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

So you see no market for a console that doesn't compete with MS and Sony?

No

Nobody ever explains where this market is going to get its customers from, they just insist it exists.

I don't think the console would be doing that much better if they had made a Wii 2 with the same hardware and no tablet. Maybe GameCube numbers, but there would be no more games than for the WiiU or GameCube and it wouldn't make them any significant amount of money.

Unless you're now defining the GameCube as a 'success' there's no way for them to have a successful console without being competitive with MS and Sony.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 18, 2014

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

icantfindaname posted:

In order to get third party support they need to release a new console with similar architecture to Xbone/Ps4/PC so that ports are easy to make, that's pretty much the nuclear option/too far away to consider

They have to ride the WiiU out for another year or two probably before releasing something new. I think they bet on the idea that people weren't ready for a true 'next gen' console and just made an incremental upgrade like the Wii was to the PS2 age, but that didn't work out this time

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

icantfindaname posted:

I like how nobody considers the idea of Nintendo actually getting third party support as even a remote possibility.
They're right, there pretty much isn't anymore. That ship sailed.

quote:

There is nothing they can do to make the WiiU not a money-haemorrhaging failure by themselves, it's just not possible to make enough first party software to do that.
Pretty much.

quote:

Their best option is to just drop the console. Either they compete with MS and Sony or they pull out of the console market, those seem to be the only possibilities.
Not really. Another option is to keep limping along, and try again a few years down the line. Right now the plan seems to be "Quality of Life Products" which could mean a few things, and "Leapfrogging" which doesn't really mean anything. But so far it looks like they're staying the course.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

Spiffo posted:

They're right, there pretty much isn't anymore. That ship sailed.
Pretty much.
Not really. Another option is to keep limping along, and try again a few years down the line. Right now the plan seems to be "Quality of Life Products" which could mean a few things, and "Leapfrogging" which doesn't really mean anything. But so far it looks like they're staying the course.

I don't think "QoL" is going to do much for them when Wii Fit U sold under 20K copies last month.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Bovineicide posted:

I don't think "QoL" is going to do much for them when Wii Fit U sold under 20K copies last month.

Oh yeah, I don't think it's going to do jack poo poo for them. But it's an option other than "make a new console" and "drop out of consoles altogether". It's the plan, with all the financial consequences it entails!

edit: in other words, there are way more than two options for Nintendo. "Stagnate" and "Spin your Wheels" is also an option. "Ruin" is another. As a company I don't think they're barreling toward the last one, but they got stagnation down pretty good. Maybe it'll work out by chance?

Spiffo fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 18, 2014

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

G-Whizard posted:

If I hadn't been silly and bought a Wii U for no reason other than "Just because" I would have needed at least a new Zelda and a new Metroid. But really what I want is for Nintendo to actually take some risks and develop some new franchises. Unfortunately the franchises they are continuing to drive into the ground are the same ones over and over. Mario and Donkey Kong and Smash Brothers. Games like Eternal Darkness were the reason I bought a Gamecube and look back on it as a rock solid console that had few but great games on it.

It's funny you say you want a new Zelda or Metroid and then say Nintendo's running DK and Smash into the ground. I mean, DKCTF is the second DKC since 1996 and Smash Bros for WiiU/3DS is only the fourth game in the series, how are they driven into the ground? While at the same time we got 4 mainline Metroid games since Metroid Prime included, two on Gamecube and two on Wii, while Smash Bros only has one game per generation.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
I think it'd be funny to see history repeat itself and have Zelda U come out on both Wii U and the Super Gamecube or whatever the gently caress Nintendo goes with next.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Equilibrium posted:

whatever the gently caress Nintendo goes with next.

If the Oculus does well, expect Virtual U

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

zenintrude posted:

I reckon that'd do pretty well. Everyone secretly wants some Wii in their eyes.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

zenintrude posted:

Western invention, they probably haven't heard of it/care about it.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

zenintrude posted:

Excuse me, Nintendo is leapfrogging over VR and going straight to nonwearable tech.

RALF
Mar 15, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Virtual Boy U: The first wearable tablet.

Arriving holidays 2015.

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

Excuse me, Nintendo is leapfrogging over VR and going straight to nonwearable tech.

Refrigerators are non-wearable and they're in every home. QED. Jump on Nintendo's stock before you miss the non-wearable goldrush

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Edmund Honda posted:

Actually the Wiimote technology was a western invention which the guy tried to give to Microsoft and Sony before approaching Nintendo.

Feel free to use the blind squirrel/nut analogy.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Edmund Honda posted:

This is what lead to the Virtual Boy:

http://news.cnet.com/2300-11386_3-10017075-6.html

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Actually the Wiimote technology was a western invention which the guy tried to give to Microsoft and Sony before approaching Nintendo.

Feel free to use the blind squirrel/nut analogy.

Was probably just some kind of bizarre balancing of cosmic fortune for them inadvertently spawning the Playstation by refusing a disc-reading console partnership with Sony.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Kurtofan posted:

It's funny you say you want a new Zelda or Metroid and then say Nintendo's running DK and Smash into the ground. I mean, DKCTF is the second DKC since 1996 and Smash Bros for WiiU/3DS is only the fourth game in the series, how are they driven into the ground? While at the same time we got 4 mainline Metroid games since Metroid Prime included, two on Gamecube and two on Wii, while Smash Bros only has one game per generation.
You're missing his point. He's just pointing out that Nintendo needs to put actual effort into developing new franchises instead of recycling old ones with each new console release- and I'm inclined to agree with him. Nintendo's most successful releases are Mario games, a few Metroid Games, and Smash Brothers. And Smash Brothers is just a game that includes characters from other games. Whoopity-doo you've added hovercrafts to the latest Mario Kart. Or they've added Little Mac to Smash Brothers. Yeah. I'm not buying a $300+, out-dated console for nostalgia and re-hashed titles.

Anyone who gets on my case about not buying the Wii U always seems to be telling me same sales pitch: "Just wait until Mario Kart/Smash brothers comes out! You'll definitely buy it, then!" And Nintendo seems to be behaving the same way. But no. I won't be buying it. If you're going to compete with giants like Microsoft and Sony (and to a lesser extent- the iOS/Android market) Nintendo's going to have to do a heck of a lot more than re-release existing franchises with incremental improvements.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 18, 2014

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

zenintrude posted:

Not developed by Nintendo.

They might as well have, Nintendo had a ton of say so in that game, and given Silicon's resume after ED maybe they should have stuck with Nintendo.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

How much effort does Mario Kart usually have in it anyway? Honest question, I've played some at friends' places, but haven't owned one since Double Dash.

Mario Kart DS had a bunch of challenges to complete, and you could try to get the best rankings in things. F-Zero GX had story mode, batshit tracks/speeds, and some expert unlockable stuff for completionists. Split/Second mixes things up with splosions. Diddy Kong Racing had some bosses and the Silver Coin challenges (and a bunch of cool cheats to play with).

Apparently Mario Kart added hang gliders recently, does that do much to mix it up?

I just feel like once I beat the Grand Prix there's nothing left to do in the game.

All the blue shells and other crazy powerups made it feel more like the game was just rolling dice at me, but maybe I was just playing it wrong.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Spiffo posted:

All the blue shells and other crazy powerups made it feel more like the game was just rolling dice at me, but maybe I was just playing it wrong.

Nah MKWii and DS were party games first and foremost. Its what they wanted Brawl to feel like where you could do everything well but the dice say you lose. Take skill out of the fun.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Barudak posted:

Nah MKWii and DS were party games first and foremost. Its what they wanted Brawl to feel like where you could do everything well but the dice say you lose. Take skill out of the fun.

This is why I stopped buying Mario Party games, and those are literally based around dice.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed is the best kart racer ever and Mario Kart will never manage to compare to it because it wasn't built for literal babies.

Difficulty in Mario Kart comes from random pickups by other people screwing you over, difficulty in SaS comes from learning how to drift, maximizing your turns, and learning when to boost and when not to boost.

Every item in SaS can mess you up, but they're also perfectly avoidable if you know what you're doing.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Spiffo posted:

This is why I stopped buying Mario Party games, and those are literally based around dice.

gently caress the dice, the arbitrary awarding of bonus stars at the end is what kills MP.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

KittyEmpress posted:

Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed is the best kart racer ever and Mario Kart will never manage to compare to it because it wasn't built for literal babies.

This is a bit off topic and I'll drop it after but quick question: how is it for optional challenge stuff? Because I've heard good things and will probably buy it.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Spiffo posted:

This is a bit off topic and I'll drop it after but quick question: how is it for optional challenge stuff? Because I've heard good things and will probably buy it.

Really hard if you set it to hard difficulties. But they force you to learn the mechanics really well. I was coming in fourth or fifth with my friends, but then I forced myself to do the drifting challenge on the hardest difficulty (took like 8+ tries) and suddenly was coming in first every time, because I knew how to maximize that stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

melon cat posted:

You're missing his point. He's just pointing out that Nintendo needs to put actual effort into developing new franchises instead of recycling old ones with each new console release- and I'm inclined to agree with him. Nintendo's most successful releases are Mario games, a few Metroid Games, and Smash Brothers. And Smash Brothers is just a game that includes characters from other games. Whoopity-doo you've added hovercrafts to the latest Mario Kart. Or they've added Little Mac to Smash Brothers. Yeah. I'm not buying a $300+, out-dated console for nostalgia and re-hashed titles.

Anyone who gets on my case about not buying the Wii U always seems to be telling me same sales pitch: "Just wait until Mario Kart/Smash brothers comes out! You'll definitely buy it, then!" And Nintendo seems to be behaving the same way. But no. I won't be buying it. If you're going to compete with giants like Microsoft and Sony (and to a lesser extent- the iOS/Android market) Nintendo's going to have to do a heck of a lot more than re-release existing franchises with incremental improvements.

When you look at the other consoles' top sellers most of them seems to be sequels of sports games, fps games etc... Sure there are original games the likes of Alpha Protocol, Nier or Deadly Premonition but most of those don't seem to sell so well (a notable exception being Last of Us), I'm not sure the problem is doing "rehashes".

I can also think of Puppeteer, Tearaway for Sony who didn't do well at all.

And people seems to ignore Wonderful 101 in these conversations, you can't say that wasn't a risky move for Nintendo, and it paid off even less than sequels.

• Locked thread