Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

LordSaturn posted:

I mean this totally literally: What are you doing with 4 Chalice of the Void? What do you use them for? The other guy was doing that too, I don't get it.

It's possible that Arcbound Ravager should be on my list. I'll probably buy a set of them at some point to fill out the maybeboard. They're very good, it's just not the direction I chose to take with the deck.

I was running a Grixis list for quite a while, with Galvanic Blast and Shrapnel Blast - that build might have been more fun, but the superior sideboard options in Esper (Ethersworn Canonist, Rest in Peace) make it a very hard sell anymore. The main lesson I learned is that nothing feels better than saccing a wasteland target for value, which is something Ravager probably does pretty well.

I haven't played an event in a bit, and every local metagame is different, since there's so much monetary momentum keeping people from changing decks. Ask around what people are playing, and/or just show up and give it a shot.

Here is a list of things in legacy that a t1 chalice on 1 will stop.

bolt
stp
delver
brainstorm
probe
ponder
preordain
spell snare/pierce
deathrite
cabal therapy
thoughtseize
dark rit
aether vial
all the burn poo poo

How many blue decks work 1/2 as well without dig and draw? Also gently caress delver, bolt, path, forever.
here is a list of things that it messes up in Bots.

Signal Pest
Springleaf Drum

I'd probably consider using revokers over chalice but I don't have those right now either so I'm going to test chalice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

AlternateNu posted:

You could always try the all burn-spell w/ Satyr Firedancer route. :v: It would remove the need for Mizzium Mortars, and you get ridiculous efficiency out of Searing Blood. Then for the control match-up, you can take out Searing Blood and Satyr Firedancer for Assemble and Chandra's Phoenix.

Thats actually what I'm trying at this moment: http://deckbox.org/sets/592950

Ive actually had a lot of fun playing it. I went about even playtesting against a mono black aggro deck my friend is running and all my losses came from pack rats getting out burn death range. I did lose the matchup against a selesnya token deck my fiancee plays though, with smiters/trostani/advent being a problem. I thought I should switch to the midrange boros deck because I don't think the burn deck can stand up to G/R monsters.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Thats actually what I'm trying at this moment: http://deckbox.org/sets/592950

Ive actually had a lot of fun playing it. I went about even playtesting against a mono black aggro deck my friend is running and all my losses came from pack rats getting out burn death range. I did lose the matchup against a selesnya token deck my fiancee plays though, with smiters/trostani/advent being a problem. I thought I should switch to the midrange boros deck because I don't think the burn deck can stand up to G/R monsters.

YP is how you survive G/R Monsters by chump blocking all day long. This is also why you need Mutavaults. I would also run Shocks over Ash Zealot and 4 x Warleader Helix because it is a 1-mana "Kill Mutavault" which helps bring those rats back down to manageable sizes.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

OssiansFolly posted:

Can I ask why you chose Magma Jet over Searing Blood? I know the scry is good, but you will largely be using the 2 damage as removal, so I guess you weigh 3 damage to the opponent vs scry 2.

I think this is a bit over-simplified. Against UW control, Searing Blood is a dead card until they cast Elspeth, and then it still doesn't kill Elspeth. Magma Jet is more likely to get you to the spell you need to finish your opponent before they can cast Elspeth.
Against Mono-black, Searing Blood will kill a Pack Rat, so long as they have fewer than 3 pack rats. Against burn decks, they usually wait to cast Pack rat until they can make multiples. Searing Blood is clearly a non-card versus desecration demon, whereas Magma Jet does 2 to your opponent, and helps dig for something else.
Against Mono-blue, sure, Searing Blood is better in almost every scenario.
It's for these same reasons that I'm running Magma Jet over Searing Blood in Murdergoats. I may put some copies of Searing Blood in my sideboard, as when that card is good, it's great. However, Magma Jet is never a dead card because you can point it at your opponent if they have no creatures.

Also:

bhsman posted:

It sucked to lose to the same deck again (and to be so close to winning - my opponent had only three life when he topdecked the winning play), but honestly after two weeks of playing each other I think we both had too much fun. That, to me, was the biggest improvement made by the changes to the deck: it was playing smoothly and able to respond to threats as they came. The deck is no longer losing to the good decks like it doesn't belong, it's losing by thin margins and making it hurt before it does. :black101:
What's your general sideboard plan against Mono U? I basically aim to be the control deck in that matchup, and I've yet to lose a match (although I've had a few close 2-1s). However, I don't run Molten Birth or Beckon Apparition, which makes for a bit of a difference between our decks (If you look at my post history, 1->2 messages back should be my most recent decklist).
Looking at your list, I'd probably bring in Horse, Anger, 3 Drown, swapping out 4 YP. In my experience, YP is really not great in aggro matchups (especially since our t3 plan is to wipe the board). I would also take out 1-2 Trading Post, but I don't see anything else I would bring in. You can consider Pithing Needle (God, Jace), but I'd rather just keep their creatures dead so that their God's ability isn't useful, and kill Jace with Dreadbore/Downfall. Rakdos Charm seems alright, since Bident is good. However, I'd rather just keep killing all their creatures instead, and Trading Post gets us card advantage to do that (or at least chump block their non-flying attackers).
Another note - I still like Anger over Drown for Murdergoats. It's unfortunate that it exiles Tymaret. Fortunately, we have ways to sac Tymaret, or chump with him, and then we get him back later. Or we can just wait to cast him if we know that Anger is coming the next turn anyways. However, and this seems to be generally true in more competitive metas, U or B are going to be every other matchup, which means you need to deal with Nightveil Specter's fat butt. You have plenty of answers, but, if they go T1-> Raptor, T2-> Tidebinder, T3-> Nightveil, you take 4 damage and get a 3 for 1. They have a very hard time winning after this. Of course, if you don't have the Anger by t2, you still murder their little creatures anyways to prevent a large Master on t4 (although, if you have the doom blade/dreadbore/downfall in hand, who cares).
Due to my meta, where B is as prevalent as U, I run Ultimate Price over Doom Blade. There are a lot of times where Doom Blade is better, but too many times where it's a dead card. I could consider it in the sideboard, but having more "destroy target creature" spells against Mono B seems the best way to beat them.

Malgrin fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 18, 2014

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

AlternateNu posted:

YP is how you survive G/R Monsters by chump blocking all day long. This is also why you need Mutavaults. I would also run Shocks over Ash Zealot and 4 x Warleader Helix because it is a 1-mana "Kill Mutavault" which helps bring those rats back down to manageable sizes.

So what exactly would you cut/add? I could see replacing helix with shock for the rats matchup, or anyone running full sets of mutavaults. Should I mainboard or sideboard shocks? I had ash zealot mainboard because it was doing awesome defending against aggro and the early damage it snuck in won me a few games. Young pyro wasn't putting in as much work against faster decks so I ended up sideboarding it but it did help out like you said against the bigger selesnya deck. I haven't had a chance to play against monsters so I was worried. Having out two satyr firedancers and killing something with searing blood was pretty nice though, it's fun to play.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

jassi007 posted:

Here is a list of things in legacy that a t1 chalice on 1 will stop.

bolt
stp
delver
brainstorm
probe
ponder
preordain
spell snare/pierce
deathrite
cabal therapy
thoughtseize
dark rit
aether vial
all the burn poo poo

How many blue decks work 1/2 as well without dig and draw? Also gently caress delver, bolt, path, forever.
here is a list of things that it messes up in Bots.

Signal Pest
Springleaf Drum

I'd probably consider using revokers over chalice but I don't have those right now either so I'm going to test chalice.

That is reasonable. I might run them in place of Cabal Therapy, if I was so inclined, since they dis-synergize so hard and put harm to most of the same matchups. (And God Bless Modern Masters, they're down to like $3 each.)

Being able to cut into the dig spells (Ponder/Preordain/Goddamn Brainstorm) is big business - this deck's worst matchup I've played has been Omni-Tell, where of course we can't just auto-win with Chalice for 1, but we at least drag them down a bit. (Also bring in Ethersworn Canonist for this - there's few things you can afford to run that play so well off a Show and Tell.)

I should probably round up some more Ancient Tombs and run those, too - they seem to be crawling upward steadily.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

So what exactly would you cut/add? I could see replacing helix with shock for the rats matchup, or anyone running full sets of mutavaults. Should I mainboard or sideboard shocks? I had ash zealot mainboard because it was doing awesome defending against aggro and the early damage it snuck in won me a few games. Young pyro wasn't putting in as much work against faster decks so I ended up sideboarding it but it did help out like you said against the bigger selesnya deck. I haven't had a chance to play against monsters so I was worried. Having out two satyr firedancers and killing something with searing blood was pretty nice though, it's fun to play.

I would probably do:
-4 x Ash Zealot
-1 x Warleader Helix
-2 x Searing Blood
-1 x Chandra/Chandra's Phoenix
+4 x Young Pyromancer
+4 x Shock

Sideboard the other 2 Searing Blood in against weenie decks. As Malgrin pointed out, Searing Blood is a dead card against control, so you don't want to run the risk of getting a grip of them versus U/W. You could even sideboard the Zealots if weenies are that big a threat in your local meta. Helix is nice for staying alive against overly aggressive decks, but you will never really be able to cast more than 1 per game because you want your opponent dead by turn 5.
You can ignore the Chandra (since her card advantage is insane for mono-R) and just go with 3 x Shocks, but it lowers your chances of getting one turns 1-3. Think back. How many times did you end Turn 3 with an open mana because you had no Phoenix to play? Nothing in your deck is odd-costed, and mana efficiency is how the deck wins. You should be tapped out by the end phase of every opponent's turn. And it is a great finisher for those times you get creatures out turns 2 and 3. Double creature shock or a creature shock and a token to block for another point of damage. Shock also kills rats as soon as it hits the field which is a must to survive against Mono-B.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

LordSaturn posted:

I mean this totally literally: What are you doing with 4 Chalice of the Void? What do you use them for? The other guy was doing that too, I don't get it.

The deck seems weak vs. combo, and the only unfair decks I've seen playing Legacy were Storm, so I went with Chalice. Plus I didn't really know what else to do. I hadn't thought about Needle/Revoker shutting down Wasteland, which I'm otherwise really weak against. I guess then it becomes a question of which to run. Revoker can provide those big Phyrexian beats, but is a lot easier to get rid of. I was thinking I'd put a Leyline of the Voic in for a RIP, and maybe a Tormod's Crypt or something. Any useful, free artifacts are good in my book.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Could there be a decent deck that takes advantage of the interaction between Vorel, Kiora's Follower, and Azor's Elocutors?

I knocked something up here--
http://www.mtgdeckbuilder.net/Decks/ViewDeck/wugfog-1128722

60 Cards
4 Breeding Pool
3 Hallowed Fountain
2 Temple of Mystery
4 Temple Garden
2 Temple of Plenty
1 Temple of Enlightenment
4 Forest
3 Island
1 Plains
24 Lands
4 Judge's Familiar
4 Sylvan Caryatid
3 Vorel of the Hull Clade
4 Azor's Elocutors
4 Kiora's Follower
4 Wall of Frost
23 Creatures
4 Fog
3 Detention Sphere
2 Jace, Architect of Thought
2 Negate
2 Sphinx's Revelation
13 Other Spells

In the board one would have Selesnya Charm, Ratchet Bomb, Dispels, and possibly Kiora?
How would you put this together were you to do such a thing?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

I'll consider these changes and add shocks, thanks. I probably will find somewhere to keep both Chandras because every time I got to play her she was awesome at keeping my deck moving. I'll be sad when rotation happens and some of the better burns like skullcrack and boros charm are gone, satyr firedancer actually makes burn pretty fun to play. Is Aurelia's Fury a garbage card for this deck? It's an X spell and I dont have a lot of land but the damage distribution/silence effect seemed interesting but I've never seen anyone play one.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
I'm not sure it has the makings of a Tier 1 or 2 deck but it's the sort of fun jank I'd run at an FNM. And if you're untapping stuff in standard right now, it's very tempting to throw some Prophets of Kruphix at it despite the mana cast.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I know you guys are sick of hearing about my EDH Goblins deck but here's the final version I just bought all the cards for:

http://deckstats.net/decks/1568/66585-edh-goblins-3-0/en

I'm not asking for any advice, I'm just sharing it. I talked to some friends from my LGS and they gave me some great ideas. Basically the philosophy I came with for it is "Kill players, not creatures". So I took out all the sweepers except for Mizzium Mortars and put in anything I could think of that could be a potential one-shot kill on a player. Sadly I had to take out Goblin Bomb because even though I desperately wanted to keep it in for comedy and tension-building, it's not a one-shot kill. I also ended up taking out all the removal due to recommendations from this thread and from IRL friends. I think it's pretty balanced and fun and potentially very lethal with the right draws.

Basically I'm looking to either dome someone for 40 without even attacking, or building up a massive army and swinging in with a huge pumped-up goblin swarm, possibly with Hellrider leading the pack.

My only major concern right now, after running a ton of opening hand simulations, is that it might be a little slow and that there might not be quite enough land. However I have literally no clue what to cut for more land. I already took out Goblin Bomb to add another Mountain because I only had 32 mana-producing land. I'm extremely hesitant to put in any more.

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.

suicidesteve posted:

I hadn't thought about Needle/Revoker shutting down Wasteland, which I'm otherwise really weak against. I guess then it becomes a question of which to run. Revoker can provide those big Phyrexian beats, but is a lot easier to get rid of.

Revoker is nonland as opposed to Needle's "anything but mana abilities", so it can't stop Wasteland.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Sleep of Bronze posted:

I'm not sure it has the makings of a Tier 1 or 2 deck but it's the sort of fun jank I'd run at an FNM. And if you're untapping stuff in standard right now, it's very tempting to throw some Prophets of Kruphix at it despite the mana cast.

I'm hoping you were directing this at me otherwise it's the sort of awkward waving across the hallway to someone who's waving at the person behind you thing that I do in real life way too often.

Prophet is definitely tempting but--
Kiora's Follower is already a card that's only useful if Vorel is out and I'd like to minimize that
It sits at the 5 slot that my elocutors are already holding up

I actually stole this idea from someone who was, instead of fogs and d spheres and negates, running a ramp suite with elvish mystic, prophet, and courser of kruphix. That may be worth considering but this way feels a bit safer and a bit less vulnerable to Hero's Downfall etc.
I really want to be able to fit Kiora in here--she solves a ton of problems the deck has, but I just don't know where to put her.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

LordSaturn posted:

That is reasonable. I might run them in place of Cabal Therapy, if I was so inclined, since they dis-synergize so hard and put harm to most of the same matchups. (And God Bless Modern Masters, they're down to like $3 each.)

Being able to cut into the dig spells (Ponder/Preordain/Goddamn Brainstorm) is big business - this deck's worst matchup I've played has been Omni-Tell, where of course we can't just auto-win with Chalice for 1, but we at least drag them down a bit. (Also bring in Ethersworn Canonist for this - there's few things you can afford to run that play so well off a Show and Tell.)

I should probably round up some more Ancient Tombs and run those, too - they seem to be crawling upward steadily.

I have two tombs, I had my ftv one and a friend traded me his. God bless people who can break up a set like that, it bugs me so much if I have a set that is missing a piece.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sharzak posted:

Could there be a decent deck that takes advantage of the interaction between Vorel, Kiora's Follower, and Azor's Elocutors?

This makes me think of ways to abuse Vorel with Gideon since he becomes a creature with his 0 ability. :getin:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

jassi007 posted:

I have two tombs, I had my ftv one and a friend traded me his. God bless people who can break up a set like that, it bugs me so much if I have a set that is missing a piece.

I have every part of 2 Realms, 2 Legends, 2 20 (plus a Jace I won and Dark Ritual I bought which drive me nuts,) Relics, and Exiled. I'll never use 2/3 of these cards, but breaking them up is unimaginable. Plus, I recently found a use for Desert, so I'm pretty sure if I can do that, I can find a use for anything.

In case anyone is wondering what use Desert could possibly have, it's in my Vhati il-Dal commander deck. :getin:

Speaking of, I know I asked this a long time ago, but I need an equipment that untaps whatever creature it's on when another creature dies so I can succeed in my ultimate goal of Black Sun for 1, kill everything.

AlternateNu posted:

Illness in the ranks gives all tokens -1/-1. Is that what you're thinking of?

Nope.

Edit 2: Thornbite Staff!

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 18, 2014

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

suicidesteve posted:

Speaking of, I know I asked this a long time ago, but I need an equipment that untaps whatever creature it's on when another creature dies so I can succeed in my ultimate goal of Black Sun for 1, kill everything. Also a black/green playable permanent that gives all creatures -y/-x where y is anything and x is 1 or 2. I think there's a black enchantment that gives all creatures -1/-1?

Illness in the ranks gives all tokens -1/-1. Is that what you're thinking of?

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Curse of Death's Hold is a thing.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Night of souls' betrayal.

Also pestilence/pyrohemia sorta

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Elephant Ambush posted:

I know you guys are sick of hearing about my EDH Goblins deck but here's the final version I just bought all the cards for:

http://deckstats.net/decks/1568/66585-edh-goblins-3-0/en

I'm not asking for any advice, I'm just sharing it. I talked to some friends from my LGS and they gave me some great ideas. Basically the philosophy I came with for it is "Kill players, not creatures". So I took out all the sweepers except for Mizzium Mortars and put in anything I could think of that could be a potential one-shot kill on a player. Sadly I had to take out Goblin Bomb because even though I desperately wanted to keep it in for comedy and tension-building, it's not a one-shot kill. I also ended up taking out all the removal due to recommendations from this thread and from IRL friends. I think it's pretty balanced and fun and potentially very lethal with the right draws.

Basically I'm looking to either dome someone for 40 without even attacking, or building up a massive army and swinging in with a huge pumped-up goblin swarm, possibly with Hellrider leading the pack.

My only major concern right now, after running a ton of opening hand simulations, is that it might be a little slow and that there might not be quite enough land. However I have literally no clue what to cut for more land. I already took out Goblin Bomb to add another Mountain because I only had 32 mana-producing land. I'm extremely hesitant to put in any more.

EDH is a little slower in general, given the larger decks and less consistent draws (from having decks full of singletons), so don't sweat it. I do admire your restraint in not putting in the easy Krenk/Phyrexian Altar/Staff of Domination combo, though. And if you want to get banned by your playgroup, swap Krenko out of your general spot for Purphoros :getin:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

C-Euro posted:

EDH is a little slower in general, given the larger decks and less consistent draws (from having decks full of singletons), so don't sweat it. I do admire your restraint in not putting in the easy Krenk/Phyrexian Altar/Staff of Domination combo, though. And if you want to get banned by your playgroup, swap Krenko out of your general spot for Purphoros :getin:

I had no idea that combo existed. Someone also told me about Thornbite Staff to combo with that goblin that functions similarly to the Phyrexian Altar. I ended up taking those out though.

I intentionally made this a Krenko goblins deck just to make sure it was fun and wouldn't be too overpowered. The EDH crowd at my LGS isn't hyper-competitive. If it ever gets that way I'll definitely make Purphoros my Commander and change up the deck to maximize his value.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Another pile of Johnny'd up jank:

Enchantment Creatures
4 x Hopeful Eidolon
4 x Nyxborn Shieldmate
4 x Spirit of the Labyrinth
4 x Archetype of Courage
4 x Eidolon of Countless Battles
3 x Heliod, God of the Sun

Enchantments
2 x Spear of Heliod
3 x Sphere of Safety
4 x Ethereal Armor

Other Spells
4 x Brave the Elements

Lands
20x Plains
4 x Mutavaults

I was originally considering making it Orhzov and tossing in Baleful Eidolon and Spiteful Returned just because first strike + deathtouch and Spiteful w/ vigilance is always amazing.

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
That's just like, your opinion man.
My BUG Defender Mill did not go as planned tonight so I took some advice from some fellow players and went to take it back to straight U/B Mill but then it hit me.

Deck: God Mill

//Lands
6 Swamp
10 Island
4 Temple of Deceit
4 Watery Grave

//Spells
3 Cyclonic Rift
3 Essence Scatter
3 Psychic Strike
4 Triton Tactics

//Planeswalkers
3 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver

//Creatures
4 Wall of Frost
4 Nightveil Specter
3 Thassa, God of the Sea
3 Erebos, God of the Dead
3 Desecration Demon
3 Phenax, God of Deception

//Sideboard
3 Jace, Memory Adept
3 Hero's Downfall
3 Dissolve
3 Consuming Aberration

Display deck statistics

I'm probably not the first person to come up with it but I thought of it by myself so I don't care. By turn 5 every game you should be playing a Phenax and have 3 active gods and an Ashiok making GBS threads on everything. Even when all does not go according to plan it should have enough steam to pull through. Anyone that thinks this can be tweaked even more please let me know as I am going to be serious about this build.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
It is a fun idea, I bet aggro rolls you so hard though. Playtest against a rakdos aggro list and see if it can hold it off long enough. Also your making a huge gamble on hitting all your land drops on time which is far from guranteed. I don't have the chart handy but if I recall you'd be something like 45% to hit your 5th land on t5?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Mindisgone posted:

My BUG Defender Mill did not go as planned tonight so I took some advice from some fellow players and went to take it back to straight U/B Mill but then it hit me.

I'm probably not the first person to come up with it but I thought of it by myself so I don't care. By turn 5 every game you should be playing a Phenax and have 3 active gods and an Ashiok making GBS threads on everything. Even when all does not go according to plan it should have enough steam to pull through. Anyone that thinks this can be tweaked even more please let me know as I am going to be serious about this build.

Having 3 active gods and an Ashiok is impossible on Turn 5. You don't have any 2 drop permanents in the deck. Hell. You can't even have 3 active gods by turn 6 unless you just happen to drop two Nightveil Specters after a perfect Thassa, Erebos, Phenax curve. And even then, you don't get an Ashiok.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

jassi007 posted:

It is a fun idea, I bet aggro rolls you so hard though. Playtest against a rakdos aggro list and see if it can hold it off long enough. Also your making a huge gamble on hitting all your land drops on time which is far from guranteed. I don't have the chart handy but if I recall you'd be something like 45% to hit your 5th land on t5?

I'd probably keep 3 Drown in Sorrow on your sideboard for the Aggro decks...Essence Scatter won't keep up where Drown in Sorrow may.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

MURDERGOATS! players, which is more important to you, the low cost burn or conditional removal spells? I have shocks/jets/lightning strikes but bhsman's new list does not run any burn besides mortars. My deck (WIP) goes as follows-

http://deckstats.net/decks/13169/68139-murdergoats-

As you can see, it is a bit all over the place. I want to get 2 mutavaults but will settle for 1 right now and I am wondering if I should take out the doom blades/anger/one purphoros to run 4 lightning strikes or shocks.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Samael posted:

MURDERGOATS! players, which is more important to you, the low cost burn or conditional removal spells? I have shocks/jets/lightning strikes but bhsman's new list does not run any burn besides mortars. My deck (WIP) goes as follows-

As you can see, it is a bit all over the place. I want to get 2 mutavaults but will settle for 1 right now and I am wondering if I should take out the doom blades/anger/one purphoros to run 4 lightning strikes or shocks.

I only run the removal like he does. I have 1 Anger of the Gods, 3 Mizzium Mortars and the targetted removal in deck. I have another 2 Anger, 3 Drown in Sorrow and more Ratchet Bombs in side board. I prefer the "just die" cards over damage as I don't have to worry about them playing a 2/3 and only holding a Shock or Magma Jet.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

OssiansFolly posted:

I only run the removal like he does. I have 1 Anger of the Gods, 3 Mizzium Mortars and the targetted removal in deck. I have another 2 Anger, 3 Drown in Sorrow and more Ratchet Bombs in side board. I prefer the "just die" cards over damage as I don't have to worry about them playing a 2/3 and only holding a Shock or Magma Jet.

So perhaps -4 Magma Jet, +2 Dreadbore, +2 Hero's Downfall? Maybe 12 removal spells + mortars is a little too much, though. Rakdos Keyrune for more creature presence and a bit of ramp? I really think running 3 angers can get risky with so many 1-2 toughness things.

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
That's just like, your opinion man.

AlternateNu posted:

Having 3 active gods and an Ashiok is impossible on Turn 5. You don't have any 2 drop permanents in the deck. Hell. You can't even have 3 active gods by turn 6 unless you just happen to drop two Nightveil Specters after a perfect Thassa, Erebos, Phenax curve. And even then, you don't get an Ashiok.

I was half asleep when I made that comment about the turn 5 Phenax. Obviously in reality you are looking at turn 3 NS -> T4 Ashiok -> T5 Thassa -> T6 Phenax or Erebos then the next one after that. Even when you do not hit it perfectly that means you are drawing awesome poo poo like Desecration Demon or counter magic or some removal. All of which should get you to the above setup SOMEHOW. Definitely not impossible, especially if I go heavy on scry lands and take some more basic lands out.

Also I think play testing against favored enemy Rakdos Aggro is a great idea and I will let you know how it turns out.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Samael posted:

So perhaps -4 Magma Jet, +2 Dreadbore, +2 Hero's Downfall? Maybe 12 removal spells + mortars is a little too much, though. Rakdos Keyrune for more creature presence and a bit of ramp? I really think running 3 angers can get risky with so many 1-2 toughness things.

His deck is under his portrait click the link.

I am running 4 Dreadbore, 3 Hero's Downfall, 2 Doom Blade, and I've removed all the Magma Jet from deck and sideboard. As far as creature presence goes I don't have issues. I run 3 Tymaret and 4 Young Pyromancer. With those and the token generation it is rare I don't have a chump block, and if something has or gives Trample I usually get rid of it pretty fast. The only thing you have to be careful of is using Anger of the Gods while you have Tymaret out...I always find a way to get him kill before I use it or he gets exiled.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

OssiansFolly posted:

His deck is under his portrait click the link.

I am running 4 Dreadbore, 3 Hero's Downfall, 2 Doom Blade, and I've removed all the Magma Jet from deck and sideboard. As far as creature presence goes I don't have issues. I run 3 Tymaret and 4 Young Pyromancer. With those and the token generation it is rare I don't have a chump block, and if something has or gives Trample I usually get rid of it pretty fast. The only thing you have to be careful of is using Anger of the Gods while you have Tymaret out...I always find a way to get him kill before I use it or he gets exiled.

Has anyone tried to incorporate a Firedance Satyr/Burn spell aspect to the MURDERGOATS! shell? Perhaps in conjunction with (or replacing) YP? I could see Toil//Trouble being used as a 1 or 2 of.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Has anyone tried to incorporate a Firedance Satyr/Burn spell aspect to the MURDERGOATS! shell? Perhaps in conjunction with (or replacing) YP? I could see Toil//Trouble being used as a 1 or 2 of.

Not really, because Murdergoats is damage from tokens. If I wanted to build a burn deck I'd go straight Red and just use Lightning Strike, Searing Blood, Magma Jet, Shock and Fated Conflag coupled up with Satyr Fire Dancer, Fanatic of Mogis and Frostburn Weird. I have a friend that is doing something very similar...he is a pain in the rear end to fight using Murdergoats...

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Samael posted:

There was a long period with the deck, as I was still compiling Downfalls/Dreadbores/Doom Blades, etc., that I had to rely on burn spells like Lightning Strike and Magma Jet, and I absolutely hated every second of it. The moment I had to deal with a creature with toughness 4 or higher, I was more or less screwed. Maybe Magma Jet has some value due to the Scry 2, but I would honestly just kill the threat (be it creature or Planeswalker) and just move on. If you can't beat the opponent with Tymaret/Purph/tokens, you aren't going to win by becoming a worse Burn deck.

As was pointed out, my list can be found in my avatar text.

quote:

I'm really down on Mutavault in lists that don't run Pack Rat; between Anger/Downfall/Dreadbore, I'd really just rather have the extra colors and not be stuck with useless colorless mana. Besides, have you seen the prices for Mutavault lately? I'd just trade the copy for store credit, assuming I couldn't find someone to trade with.

I've already talked about the use of burn spells in the deck, but I will say that Shock can be useful due to its cheapness. I'd rather just run Beckon Apparition, though, since the deck can have trouble dealing with flying creatures. Not to mention, having a flyer to get through blockers can be really useful.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
I was thinking about this earlier, and was wondering if maybe tossing some Deathrite Shaman in there (2-3 of) might be an ok idea, given that we're going to be filling our graveyard with instants and sorceries anyway. Might as well get something extra off of them, and maybe the occasional mana off of a discarded land.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

With the acquisition of the temple scrylands, I wanted to give Bant a try. Its been a lot of fun.

I'd like any critique anyone could offer up! The sideboard is my thrown together answer for games 2 and 3 against mono-B, when they sideboard out all their kill spells for duress/seize.

The ideal play against most decks is turn 4 Verdict, turn 5 Kiora/Urban. I really like the amount of card draw and the ability to play creatures at the end of the other players turns/or revs.

Deck: Crashin' Thrashin' Bant

//Lands
4 Breeding Pool
4 Hallowed Fountain
2 Island
4 Temple Garden
3 Temple of Enlightenment
4 Temple of Mystery
4 Temple of Plenty

//Spells
3 Advent of the Wurm
4 Detention Sphere
2 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
3 Kiora, the Crashing Wave
2 Quicken
4 Selesnya Charm
3 Sphinx's Revelation
4 Supreme Verdict
4 Syncopate
4 Urban Evolution
2 Ętherize

//Sideboard
4 Swan Song
3 Archangel of Thune
4 Fiendslayer Paladin
4 Loxodon Smiter

Display deck statistics

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Now I'm imagining -1 on Kiora and then casting Urban Evolution.

It's a good image.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Lands:

4x Temple of Malice
4x Blood Crypt
4x Mutavault
11 Swamp

// 23 Total

Creatures:

4x Tormented Hero
4x Pack Rat
4x Agent of Fates
3x Nighthowler
3x Herald of Torment
4x Grey Merchant

// 22 Total

Spells:

4x Thoughtseize
3x Eye Gouge
4x Hero's Downfall
3x Gift of Orzhova
1x Whip of erebos

// 15 Total

Sideboard:

2x Duress
3x Bile Blight
4x Dreadbore
4x Mizzium Mortars
2x Underworld Connections

// 15 Total

Really enjoying this list, considering cutting the underworld connections for slaughter games. Thoughts???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Mezzanon posted:

Lands:

4x Temple of Malice
4x Blood Crypt
4x Mutavault
11 Swamp

// 23 Total

Creatures:

4x Tormented Hero
4x Pack Rat
4x Agent of Fates
3x Nighthowler
3x Herald of Torment
4x Grey Merchant

// 22 Total

Spells:

4x Thoughtseize
3x Eye Gouge
4x Hero's Downfall
3x Gift of Orzhova
1x Whip of erebos

// 15 Total

Sideboard:

2x Duress
3x Bile Blight
4x Dreadbore
4x Mizzium Mortars
2x Underworld Connections

// 15 Total

Really enjoying this list, considering cutting the underworld connections for slaughter games. Thoughts???

I like Slaughter Games in my Grixis build. It's a special kind of awesome when you Thoughtseize and see your opponent kept a double Gray Merchant hand, Turn 4 Slaughter Games them away.

• Locked thread