Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

My first model kit in about 15 years. I picked an MG God Gundam to get back into things. drat you, Build Fighters!

Screw the side skirts real hard. I also haven't put any panel lining or decals on it yet. Waiting for a marker set from amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The funny thing about HG God Gundam is that HG Shining Gundam is a legitimately better kit that incorporates a lot more gimmicks. :v:

MG God Gundam is a pretty great kit, especially for its price. Be warned that it uses screws though, so if you don't have a small screwdriver you'd better get one. Also it is an old MG, so you'll find that it doesn't have that many more runners than the HG.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Feb 18, 2014

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
After 3 and a half months of waiting for a R4L order, that when I ordered it showed as all in-stock (this was ordered about a month before they had their server troubles and changed everything to just always show as in-stock), they finally responded to me and asked if I wanted to keep waiting an indeterminate period of time for an LED unit for the h-hangars to come in or if they could substitute one of a different color and go ahead and ship. I said go ahead, and it arrived today. Well, a box arrived, but it's not the items I ordered. I liked them back in the day, but think they should definitely be avoided now.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BlitzBlast posted:

MG God Gundam is a pretty great kit, especially for its price. Be warned that it uses screws though, so if you don't have a small screwdriver you'd better get one. Also it is an old MG, so you'll find that it doesn't have that many more runners than the HG.

Why are you warning him about a kit he has already bought and built? That IS the MG God Gundam. :v:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Well poo poo. I was wondering why the manual had a guide for the decals too. :downs:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I still got a big old soft spot for the mg god gundam, it was the first mg I ever built. Made it over 11 years ago.
At the time my parents thought I'd grow out of building models in a couple of months, guess I proved them wrong :v:.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Build Fighters did it. It made me go to the drat store and pick up a kit for the first time in 7 years.

Somebody convince me not to make a Zeta Zaku Amazing.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Broken Loose posted:

Build Fighters did it. It made me go to the drat store and pick up a kit for the first time in 7 years.

No.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

All Gundam man, you gotta take advantage of those universal polycaps.

Speaking of monstrosities, during my club's meeting this week I dropped my V2's face and pretty much gave up on finding it after forty minutes of searching. One of the members offered to give up one of her kit's heads (she was building the HG Shining, and didn't really care for the transformed face). Cue an on-the-spot kitbash of the V2's torso, the Shining's head and arms, and the Double X's bottom half. Sadly I didn't take pictures, but it fit together fairly well all things considered.

Oh, and I found the V2's face literally two seconds after I walked over to open a door for somebody. Karma exists!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Broken Loose posted:

Sorry buddy. I picked up so much stuff for a Kampfer Amazing that I'd burst into flames from sheer hypocrisy if I tried.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

BlitzBlast posted:

All Gundam man, you gotta take advantage of those universal polycaps.

Speaking of monstrosities, during my club's meeting this week I dropped my V2's face and pretty much gave up on finding it after forty minutes of searching. One of the members offered to give up one of her kit's heads (she was building the HG Shining, and didn't really care for the transformed face). Cue an on-the-spot kitbash of the V2's torso, the Shining's head and arms, and the Double X's bottom half. Sadly I didn't take pictures, but it fit together fairly well all things considered.

Oh, and I found the V2's face literally two seconds after I walked over to open a door for somebody. Karma exists!

You should get pics of this horror when you can, kitbashes are the best. :allears:

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Would anyone like to recommend a master grade kit to me? I don't really follow Gunpla, I just build a kit every couple of years when the stars align. I prefer simpler MS designs- I'm a big fan of the Guncannon, GM79, and Zaku II- the Guncannon is the only one of those I don't have already. However, I'd really prefer to get something I can have shipped on Amazon prime, if possible. I don't really like kits with wings or a bunch of fiddly poo poo on the backpack, a lot of the more modern suits look really overdesigned to me for this reason, but I do like suits with shoulder cannons, because that just rules.

I really like the look of the Full Armor Gundam, but the fact that the armor pieces apparently stick on with little gummy bits that don't keep their hold is a huge mark against it. I was thinking of maybe the MG Jesta, it looks almost like an Armored Core suit but still has the realistic, workman-like quality I like in MS design. I was also thinking about the 1/20 Scopedog, because VOTOMS owns, but I couldn't find that for a reasonable price without huge shipping fees and a 6-week wait time from Japan attached. And I'd heard it's an older design with limited articulation.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Anonymous Robot posted:

Would anyone like to recommend a master grade kit to me? I don't really follow Gunpla, I just build a kit every couple of years when the stars align. I prefer simpler MS designs- I'm a big fan of the Guncannon, GM79, and Zaku II- the Guncannon is the only one of those I don't have already. However, I'd really prefer to get something I can have shipped on Amazon prime, if possible. I don't really like kits with wings or a bunch of fiddly poo poo on the backpack, a lot of the more modern suits look really overdesigned to me for this reason, but I do like suits with shoulder cannons, because that just rules.

I really like the look of the Full Armor Gundam, but the fact that the armor pieces apparently stick on with little gummy bits that don't keep their hold is a huge mark against it. I was thinking of maybe the MG Jesta, it looks almost like an Armored Core suit but still has the realistic, workman-like quality I like in MS design. I was also thinking about the 1/20 Scopedog, because VOTOMS owns, but I couldn't find that for a reasonable price without huge shipping fees and a 6-week wait time from Japan attached. And I'd heard it's an older design with limited articulation.

Pretty much anything with a 2.0 or 3.0 on the end is good except for maybe the Zeta Gundam. Judging from your tastes, I would highly recommend the Zaku II 2.0 or Gouf 2.0. The RX-178 Gundam MK II 2.0 is also highly recommended. The MG Z'Gok, Dom and RX-79[G] are also very solid in spite of being very old kits.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I wouldn't recommend the 1/20 Scopedog. Unlike a lot of MG Gunpla, where you can get away with just build > panel line > spray as a minimal effort for really decent results, IMO the one we have that no one ever got around to painting at my house isn't very attractive or interesting without something more being done to it. I think because it has a lot of flat planes. That said, the metal details are pretty neat.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Anonymous Robot posted:

The Jesta Cannon has two shoulder guns. Also like a billion grenades.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

MG Jesta is an amazing kit, so get that. Although if you like shoulder cannons...

:getin:

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

Luminaflare posted:

The Jesta Cannon has two shoulder guns. Also like a billion grenades.
And that would be great, except they haven't released an MG of it yet. Here's a link to the regular Jesta on Amazon, though. It's pretty much an up-armored GM and modern without (I think) being too busy.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I don't have an MG Jesta, but I think the Jesta and ReZEL are the best looking designs from Unicorn. I'm not a huge fan of the Shinanju or various Unicorn Gundams. The Jesta looks very military and tacticool. I love the GM Sniper K9 for the same reason.

It would be so awesome if the GM Sniper II and GM Sniper K9 got MGs.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So I got the MG X and my HG Star Build Strike in. Jesus christ the latter needs so much paint to look pretty.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

So I got the MG X and my HG Star Build Strike in. Jesus christ the latter needs so much paint to look pretty.

Is that the HG SEED legacy?

Still looking for inspirado for a Reborns bash. I think I mean to keep the Gundam side and retain the transforming gimmick, but make the cannon side into something else. Maybe the thing to do is just drop it and look at something else for now.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is that the HG SEED legacy?

Still looking for inspirado for a Reborns bash. I think I mean to keep the Gundam side and retain the transforming gimmick, but make the cannon side into something else. Maybe the thing to do is just drop it and look at something else for now.

Swords, Swords everywhere, make it have a booster for a chest so it just flies backwards at things and stabs the poo poo out of them.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

AzMiLion posted:

Swords, Swords everywhere, make it have a booster for a chest so it just flies backwards at things and stabs the poo poo out of them.

Well there's this but it takes out the Cannon side and just has too much going on.

Found this whilst looking that up, does anyone recognise the things mounted to the elbows and hips?

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 19, 2014

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I think I'll probably hold off on the Jesta and wait to see if they release a MG Jesta Cannon, cause I know I'll be remiss if I don't. Gouf is a possibility, I love those finger guns. How is the Heavyarms MG? It's one of the older ones, right?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

BizarroAzrael posted:

Well there's this but it takes out the Cannon side and just has too much going on.

Found this whilst looking that up, does anyone recognise the things mounted to the elbows and hips?

They're from a magazine exclusive Age-2 parts kit.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

muike posted:

They're from a magazine exclusive Age-2 parts kit.

AGE-2 Artimes, thanks.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Anonymous Robot posted:

I think I'll probably hold off on the Jesta and wait to see if they release a MG Jesta Cannon, cause I know I'll be remiss if I don't. Gouf is a possibility, I love those finger guns. How is the Heavyarms MG? It's one of the older ones, right?

There actually was a Heavyarms MG that came out just a little while ago, since Bandai's been promoting a couple Wing spinoffs.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Anonymous Robot posted:

MG Heavyarms is a pretty new MG, and is arguably the best of the Wing kits.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

mr. stefan posted:

There actually was a Heavyarms MG that came out just a little while ago, since Bandai's been promoting a couple Wing spinoffs.

How do I tell which is the newer one?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Anonymous Robot posted:

Simple: there is no old one.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Anonymous Robot posted:

Go to either dalong or the wiki's MG page if you're ever curious about what has or doesn't have a MG. The farther down on either list, the newer.

In any case there's only one MG Heavyarms (for now), stefan was probably talking about the old 1/100 HG.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Goddamnit you guys have made me fall in love with the Jesta and pray that there will be a Geara Zulu Mg that I can pose them against forever. Or just wait until march and buy squads and squads of the HG versions of them.

And also finally make my dream kit bash of a U.N. MS squad with this: http://www.hlj.com/product/ROKRD144001/Air
opinions?

Herr Tog fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 19, 2014

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
IM HERE TO DELIVER FOOD *beam confuse*

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Looks like Bandai is coming out with a new hobby kit line for the US market, but it's not Gundam this time - link.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I don't even know how to feel.

fake edit: oh it's like super baby level stuff, shame

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

If I can kitbash it onto Gundams I'm good with it. Wing Batman Custom :getin:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Bimmi posted:

Looks like Bandai is coming out with a new hobby kit line for the US market, but it's not Gundam this time - link.

I'm guessing this will go down as well as their "action-figure-model-kit" push did back in the early 2000's.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I guess MG Goku will finally have company.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Monaghan posted:

I'm guessing this will go down as well as their "action-figure-model-kit" push did back in the early 2000's.

In the meantime I can get a couple Spru-Batmans. I'll be keeping an eye out for these.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Monaghan posted:

At least this time they're doing subjects that might actually have some mass appeal.

On the other hand, I'm not sure there's a gaping void in the superhero actionfiguremodelkit segment that's begging to be filled, and does anyone even give a poo poo about Halo anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You know, I picked up a Jesta Cannon because I thought it'd be too much trouble to hunt down an Overflag.

And then I found one sitting on a shelf plain-as-day as part of the latest shipment at one of my local stores :negative:.

It's really not a bad kit, but it could've seriously used some of those soft polycaps considering Bandai got three kits out of the one design. Whoever it was that brought up theirs a while ago, mine has the same weird flaw in the hands - the right one holds either gun comfortably, but it flops out of the left. Just seems weird, as the deflector/shield/spinning-thingy can be slotted onto either arm :iiam:.

• Locked thread