Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I don't think you can have club options but not sure. However they are guaranteed, you get a huge boost to your stability at the start of a new contract because the board doesn't want to pay you out the remainder.

How's the US coaching job? Can you snag a national coaching job anywhere yet?

The US Coaching Job should be coming open soon, the current manager is a fiasco, the team got drubbed in their first game of the hex at home against friggin Guatemala. I wouldn't be shocked if he's fired even before qualifying is over a la the former manager of Mexico's team. When that job comes open I'm absolutely submitting an application. I believe in game you can coach both national and club teams at once, it's how people do the San Marino challenge (manage tiny little San Marino's football club to the Champion's League title and win a World Cup as the tiny nation of San Marino, the latter seems impossibly difficult).

If the game won't let me do both at once I'll take over a national team once Wrexham are giants of Europe and aim to win the World Cup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

habeasdorkus posted:

The US Coaching Job should be coming open soon, the current manager is a fiasco, the team got drubbed in their first game of the hex at home against friggin Guatemala. I wouldn't be shocked if he's fired even before qualifying is over a la the former manager of Mexico's team. When that job comes open I'm absolutely submitting an application. I believe in game you can coach both national and club teams at once, it's how people do the San Marino challenge (manage tiny little San Marino's football club to the Champion's League title and win a World Cup as the tiny nation of San Marino, the latter seems impossibly difficult).

If the game won't let me do both at once I'll take over a national team once Wrexham are giants of Europe and aim to win the World Cup.

Almost certain both goes at the same time. At least it does in FIFA Manager, and I see no real reason why it should be different in Football Manager.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

habeasdorkus posted:

If you don't get the US national, are there any other national programs that you could pick up? And does the scouting translate back? If so the Australian national job or something would seem hugely helpful.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

habeasdorkus posted:

You most absolutely can do it, I did double duty in my FM2012 save as the head coach of Blyth Spartans and the United States. Won the Gold Cup, made it out of the Group Stages in the World Cup, but never further.

It doesn't even have issues when you have two events on the same day! Presumably you're coaching one and later shouting into your cell phone while watching the game on ESPN.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

habeasdorkus posted:

You are certainly able to do both jobs at once. Now, I doubt your coaching Reputation is anywhere near what you'd actually need to get the job, so you're probably going to get laughed off.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

And does the scouting translate back?

You do get some knowledge of the players, but again, I really doubt his reputation is going to be high enough to get anything higher than a U17/U21 kind of job. Not to mention it's harder to get a national team position when you aren't of that nationality.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
With his current rep level, he *might* be able to get a garbage EU team like Estonia or Andorra or something though.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
*sets down his martini* I simply won't be known as a penny-pincher! Drain every last haypenny and bring me the League One Title! *slams hand on table, wavers drunkenly*

CCCC

Five years, 1,100k/wk, 10% yearly increase, promotion increase of 25%

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

A Tartan Tory posted:

With his current rep level, he *might* be able to get a garbage EU team like Estonia or Andorra or something though.

May as well, I mean.. why not? and if it turns up just one hidden gem for the scouts, it will all have been worth it.

Plus create some profile on the international scene.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!
Vote 1: While I like to play moneyball to win, we gotta deal with other people taking players from us from other leagues as well (loving vultures...). According to a popular phrase scared money don't make money (c)

Vote 2: You got us a League title! Use as much money you need! (c)

Vote 3: To be honest I'm a little hesitant to give you 100%. But we can afford to have more money in the transfer fund. We should keep some money in the club finances. Just in case(b)

Vote 4: Are you serious? Mateo is like our Lebron James (not really but stay with me here)! We don't want to be the Cavs and lose him to another team while we go into the shitter. I don't care if you have to sell your sister, keep Mateo Mujkic by any means necessary!(c)

Vote 5:
7 years. Wrexham wants you here as long as possible
1100. That's good enough tbh
15% annualy raise, and 25 salary increase

You earned it.

Also if you can...try to get a scout with some south america connection. Got a feeling there's some hidden talent there.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

May as well, I mean.. why not? and if it turns up just one hidden gem for the scouts, it will all have been worth it.

Plus create some profile on the international scene.

I'll see what I can do :)

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
VOTE 1: WAGE CAP
40k/week. You've shown us what your projections for us in League One are, but anticipated money isn't actual money, and I'm curious how much you're anticipating us making another run in Cup play; if we bow out early in one of those are we going to be in the poo poo? A little more money now and if we are raking it in we'll up the budget.

VOTE 2: TRANSFER BUDGET

A) We give you a budget to use as you see fit, and you've seen it fit to spend most of it on one player. We cannot keep giving you money whenever you deem it fit when you show fiscal irresponsibility. Consider the 25k here a bonus for making League One and tighten the pursestrings a little bit, no?

VOTE 3: TRANSFER INCOME AVAILABLE

Keep it at 60%. I'm, er, we're not so greedy that we're going to hamstring you completely upon making a higher level of play, but we can't keep writing you a blank check. Work with what we've given you, not with what you want to have.

VOTE 4: MATEO MUJKIC CONTRACT

Let's be realistic here now Skip. The lad's been a good find, but the endgame has always been with him on a Champions League club and our bank accounts full of Manchester Money. Let them be the ones to pay him, and let us be the ones to profit off that. Do what you need to for Mujkic to stay here, but up his release fee to at least 7.5m and the goal to have him sold within the next two windows. He's a good player, but if we're going to give him five-thousand pounds a week he needs to be an MVP-calibur footballer and I don't see that in him. Let someone else find out his ceiling on their dime, and preferable sooner than later.

VOTE 5: MY CONTRACT

Now we're playing hardball skip. You've been good, but you failed to land the Johnstone's Trophy when it was all but in our grasp. Now we're onto a League we're not familiar with and I need to see if you can handle the increased competition before we really make you a rich man.

Two years extension, with an automatic two-year extension upon promotion. If you want your five years, you're going to continue moving this team up the ladder. As for a rate, 1,000 pounds a week, with an automatic raise to 1,100 upon promotion. Again, you want your money, you'll have to earn it. No automatic increases for time served.

In addition, if you are able to land the job of a national team, we request 25% of your wages from them. If you are going to divide your attention, we deserve to be compensated as such. Also, in the event that you elect to move onto another club in either League One or above, we shall be paid 1.5m pounds in accordance. If we can sell players, we can certainly profit when a coach decides they seek greener pastures.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

habeasdorkus posted:

I'll see what I can do :)

While we're talking about it - what are the options to increase the clubs revenue streams other than 'playing winning football' - we're not maxing out our capacity, so the stadium doesn't need work, but what about the corporate facilities?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

While we're talking about it - what are the options to increase the clubs revenue streams other than 'playing winning football' - we're not maxing out our capacity, so the stadium doesn't need work, but what about the corporate facilities?

The corporate facilities absolutely need work, they're pretty average. I don't know how to change that, though.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

habeasdorkus posted:

The corporate facilities absolutely need work, they're pretty average. I don't know how to change that, though.

You'd probably have to upgrade the stadium.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

habeasdorkus posted:

Unfortunately, Googling suggests that the only way to do it is a new Stadium, but that's a big investment. Is there anything else the club can do?

If I was on the board, I'd want to be planning for laying down some additional revenue streams otherwise we are going to be in a really bad place come another promotion. Shoving us up to median league spending basically involves spending all our revenue as is.

ThCawdor
Apr 23, 2010

B)(Calmly) We agree that the budget is low, but we still don't have a great deal of income. An increase to the 33rd percentile, or £2.2m annually, of current League One budgets is appropriate. (Budget cap rises to £42k/wk)

C) (Assertively) Considering the beating we took entering into League Two, it would be apparent that you'll need pocket money to attract a higher caliber of player to the club. (£125,000 added to the transfer budget)

C) (Calmly) You're right. We don't need to sell players to make ends meet, and the club's finances have undergone a remarkable improvement. (Percentage of transfer income available increased to 100%)

B) (Uncomfortably) Mujkic is a phenomenal player, but is going to end up out of our price range in very short order. I'm happy to keep him for a while, but we can't be expected to truly compete with the upper league sides financially - yet. (Mujkic may be offered up to £5,000/wk in base salary)

VOTE 5: SCOTT BROWN CONTRACT

(Assertively) You've done splendid work, and we'd like to keep you here. We feel an offer of 6 years, at £1,100 a week, with a 5% annual raise, and a potential 35% promotion salary increase should help. Now go and give the League One sides what-for!

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

CCCC and I don't really have an opinion on the salaries.

Can you give my local team (Academica de Coimbra) a lot of money? If so, I'd like that :v:

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Woo! Congrats to the lads for pushing us up the ladder!

1. B) Let's not get too hasty about throwing money around just yet. The wage cap is definitely too low as it is now for us to be competitive in League One, but no going overboard.
2. B) Same idea here. 75k is respectable enough to snag some more promising youngsters and renew/replace. I'd be amenable for an emergency transfer vote during pre-season if you find another kid on the cheap like Mujkic, or this other kid we just signed.
3. B) You've proven yourself adept at managing the club and it's finances so far, so 80% should be fine going forward. I'll never vote for a full 100%. At least not until we're swimming in cash.
4. B) 5000/week is entirely too much, but I really don't want us to lose Mujkic for a pittance.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
(Delightedly) By the heck, lad, you've only gone and bloody done it! I asked for the league title, you got us the league title. Now, if you need to take a year to consolidate, that's fair enough, but mark my words, young man: Knock Tackleford off their effin' perch! The fans deserve a bit of payback after that drubbing they gave us last time out. Make it happen!

C. (Belligerently) We're tussling with the big boys now, band I don't want us to be snivelling on the sidelines with worn out boots and mismatched socks. Three premier league opponents in the cup in three years, plus a cup final, have been bloody marvellous to us. Pass it on to the lads and keep them happy.

C. (Magnanimously) Can't argue with results! You've found some real winners, if this Sirra boy is as good as that Mujkic lad then who can say what we can achieve? Request granted, now go find us the best we can get!

B. (Warningly) All this largesse needs to be supported somehow. Loosening the purse strings now that there's an extra couple million, can't argue with that, but this club isn't a charity. I'd agree to an 80% reinvestment, we'll revisit this question when we're more secure in our standing.

C (Greedily) This kid is the goose laying golden footballs. Do whatever it takes to keep him, do whatever it takes to prepare for the day he slips from our grasp. Carte Blanche!

VOTE 5: MY CONTRACT

(Cheerfully) Oh aye, we can handle that. Two promotions in three years is worth another five years, and £1,100 is fair remuneration. 10% per annum is above inflation, and I expect to see you earn it, year in, year out. As an incentive, I'd allow up to a 33% promotion salary increase. You get us up to the Championship, you get us setting our sights even higher than that, and we'll be making enough to cover that and plenty spare.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
BBBC, and take a Three year contract, with a 10% pay rise. No doubt you'll come back to us demanding even more money in a year or so...

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Voting time!

1) Wage cap :B , you showed us that you don't need high-paid players to shine. Keep on doing that, we might renegotiate this when we see how we do financially in the new league.
2) Transfer budget: C , go ahead and replenish the transfer budget. Talented players start getting expensive at this level and 100k won't really break the bank.
3) Transfer income: B , it's only fair you get some more from the kids you raise, but leave a cut for the team's finances. Again, we can renegotiate this next season after we see financial results.
4) Mukjic: C , we understand that it's important to keep the really good players around, just don't blow all the budget into him please.

5) Based on your outstanding results, we offer you 4 years of contract at 1,200£/week, with a 5% annual raise and 30% promotion raise. We feel a higher base salary is entirely deserved in this case, as are higher promotion raises, but the automatic raise will be just enough to cover inflation.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
BBBC

4 years, £1,100 a week, with yearly increases of 5% and a promotion increase of 20%.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I'm going to addendum to my previous post with the contract offer of:

5 years, £1,100 a week, yearly increases of 5%, promotion increase of 10% and, since I know it's there, a Top Division Promotion Clause of 75%, but also a Top Division Relegation Clause of 75%.

Get us to the top and stick and you'll be making a pretty penny.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Sky Shadowing posted:

a Top Division Promotion Clause of 75%, but also a Top Division Relegation Clause of 75%.

Get us to the top and stick and you'll be making a pretty penny.
This sounds like a good way to avoid more contract demands the second you get the team promoted to the Premiership.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

CBBC

I'm willing to give you 5 years, 1000/w 10% Annually, 10% on promotion.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

C)(Cautiously) We're only looking for consolidation this year, but to improve we'll need the ability to attract top talent. (Budget cap rises to £48k/wk)

B) (Assertively) However, we need to save some money to upgrade the training and youth faciltiies as we climb the table, so we advise you to look for bargains. (£75,000 added to the transfer budget)

B) (Calmly) Off-loading some of the weaker players to make room might be advisable and you can have most of the money to spend (Percentage of transfer income available increased to 80%)

A) (Pragmatically) Whichever member of the board cautioned about offering him too much and proposed to selling him for millions in the near future was right. He's a great player, but with the cash we'd receive we can upgrade our training and bring some new faces in. (Stick to the wage structure.)

VOTE 5: SCOTT BROWN CONTRACT

(Passionately) Two promotions is a fantastic achievement. You can have a 5 year contract at £1,100 p/w with a 25% promotion rise. The annual rise should only be 5% however, in case things don't go quite as well as planned.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Epilogue: Cyfrinachol Wrecsam: Ystadegau Tîm a Rhagolygon, yn ôl-weithredol 2016-2017
May 1, 2017

If I didn't butcher the Welsh language too much, the above means “Wrexham Confidential: Team Statistics and Prospects, 2016-2017.” Basically, a look at our players and how they did over the last season.

Justin Bailey lead the way in appearances for us this season, racking up 51 across all competitions. He had an amazing 27 assists, and was at his best in cup games where he averaged almost one a game. He was certainly our best player.

William Harrison, Gary Tench, Matthew Poole, Stewart Lewis, and Luke Reid were all excellent for us, each averaging over a 7 rating. Poole, Stewart, and Reid, along with Chris Todd, combined to give us twenty goals from our centerbacks, which is about a quarter of our goals and pretty amazing.

Our top goalscorers were Harrison, with 18, Coulson, with 14, Price, with 11 (the majority of which came in the second half of the season when we most needed them in our title hunt), and Spilsbury with 11. Price was fourth in League Two in minutes per goal, while Coulson was ninth and Harrison was fourteenth.

Next up are our under 25 players on the senior team, first their original information from when they were signed, and then their current attributes. As you can see, many of them have improved substantially since joining the club, which is how we keep improving year over year.

Justin Bailey

The game just doesn't understand how good Bailey is. He really is like his video game namesake (I love the idea of his parent's naming him Justin because of how much they enjoyed Metroid) He's rated as just 2.5 stars, and under the hood he has the lowest Current Ability and Potential Ability scores on the first team. But the distribution of his scores are as perfect as they could be for his role. One thing that you should know is that players can continue to improve even after their CA score matches their PA score, it's just that instead of adding attributes, some attributes will decline and be shifted over to the ones that are being trained. So by training Bailey as an advanced playmaker, we're focusing on all those attributes that are important to his role, meaning that he's getting the absolute most out of his ability. I'm curious to see how he does in League One, given that he had the fifth highest average rating in League Two I think it's entirely possible that he's still pretty good in League One.

Michael Coulson

Agent Coulson wasn't as good this year as he was in previous season, but he was still pretty darned good. He scored 14 goals and added five assists, to go with six man of the match awards. He didn't play very well in cup competitions, though, averaging just a 6.67 rating compared to his 7.14 rating in league matches. That 7.14 rating, btw, was enough to tie him with Bailey for fifth best in the league.

Danny Higgs

Danny Higgs is improving steadily, while Al-Beloushi is currently a better goalkeeper I expect Higgs will surpass him within the next year or so. He's also cheaper than Al-Beloushi, and while Al-Beloushi isn't old I'm always a sucker for potential over proven ability. Higgs sealed his job on the team during the stretch around New Years where the team gave up virtually no goals. He finished the season with a 6.67 rating, but he had 12 shutouts in 26 league games.

William Harrison

Billy the Kid has really blossomed. After a 6.9 rating with 11 goals and 4 assists in 32 games last season, he had a 7.11 rating with 18 goals and 9 assists this season in the same number of games. The only downside is that his injury robbed him of a tick of his pace, he's down from 18 pace to 17, but that still makes him lightning fast. The improvement in his first touch, anticipation, and composure have allowed him to become a more consistent threat on the counter attack.

Stewart Lewis

Lewis got off to a tough start, by November I thought he'd turn out to be a bust. He proved me wrong by being our most consistent centerback for the rest of the season. Because of his development I'm tempted to sell the mercurial Luke Reid, who has several teams circling about him and who's going to earn more than twice as much as Lewis next season.

Mateo Mujkic

After settling into the club, Mujkic really began to show why he's rated so highly. From about December on he helped create ten goals, and was excellent in cup competitions, with five assists in ten appearances. He's also continuing to get better, which was a concern of mine considering how far above League Two his skills were. The last thing I want is for his talent to be stifled by the lack of equivalent talent to test himself against.

Matthew Poole

Poole made me not miss Stuart Martin one bit. While he cooled off from his incredibly hot start, he contributed eight goals, good enough to tie him for fifth on the team. He also was incredibly level headed, not drawing a single yellow card in any competitive match and only committing 11 fouls. He was also sublime in cup competitions, earning a 7.44 rating with four goals across ten fixtures. Poole has shown a lot of development as a player, adding two points over the last two seasons to almost every single key attribute.

Tony Price

I tried to sell Price during the January window because I had mostly considered him an attacking mid center, a position we weren't using. Once he was forced into the lineup by injuries to our wingers, though, he showed me why he should be kept around. He singlehandedly won us the league with his performances in the Southend and Bury games down the stretch, and averaged a 7.2 in his last 15 games while scoring seven times. He only put in one poor performance during that stretch, making him one of the most consistent players on the team. His stats have blossomed since his signing, adding 36 points in less than two years.

Stuart Simpson

The Captain will never be a star player, but he's become a rock solid anchor to our team. Having to play all but three of our final 19 games without him made winning the league much more difficult, as Kadhim and especially Jenkins were not up to the task. This is probably as good as it gets for Simpson, I'm likely to start working him out of the mix in the coming years as he's near the limits of his talent. His injury has been a bit of a setback, but even without it he would be close to the end. Hopefully he can make it to the Championship with us, he's an able successor to former captain Alan Tierney.

Sam Smissen

Sam Smissen and the next player on the list have both been quite impressive in their first season with the club. Smissen was second on the team in appearances behind Bailey, and was very solid at left back. In less than a year he's added 15 attribute points, at his current rate of improvement he might be with us until we're in the Premier League.

Gary Tench

The Tenchman was even better than Smissen, and the former Manchester City youth prospect has equally settled into his role at right back. He earned an excellent 7.09 rating in the league, the second best of any fullback, and has excelled at both the offensive and defensive aspects of the position. He and Smissen are earning £1,650 combined, making them not only huge contributors to the team but economical ones at that.

Daniel Thomas

I'm not sure what to do about Thomas. On the one hand he's still a liability defensively, though nowhere near the disaster he was when I first took over the team three years ago. Yet despite improving most facets of his game he's still got only one real weapon, his speed. He's one of the fastest players on the team, tied with Harrison, and in just 20 games this season he earned 3 player of the match awards and a quite decent 6.82 rating. His contract is up at the end of June, so his future is largely going to be determined by how much money he wants.

Chris Todd

Our other wonderboy. He's played pretty well for a 17 year old, but has clearly been the worst of our four first team centerbacks. Still, his attributes have climbed by 58 points in just over two years with the club. And did I mention he's still only 17? Currently he's on specialized training for his jumping reach, once it gets to something reasonable he'll need some technique training. Between himself, Poole, and Lewis, and the steadily improving 18 year old Anthony Curran, we've got an excellent young core of players to build our defense around. It's to the point where other centerbacks in our organization, such as 19 year old Gary Petit, are going to need to be out on loan in order to get playing time.

From there we move onto a look at our youth players, included below is a rough ranking of the players we've brought in since I took the helm who aren't first team regulars yet.

Centerback:

Anthony Curran and Gary Petit are the two names here, both might be suitable as backups at the present. Petit got into a couple of games before going on loan and played well, Curran did less well in his two cameos with the senior team.

Fullback:

Ioan Peters is nearly ready to challenge for a job on the first team. He's done reasonably well in his four matches, and if Daniel Thomas isn't re-signed will end up taking over one of the backup roles. Elgan Ratcliffe is out of contract at the end of June, I don't think it's worth offering him a pro-contract and thus he'll likely leave the club.

Midfielder:

Eoin McCarthy is the only player remotely ready for a lot of first team time. Sinclair got the most appearances with the first team, largely because Holt was too often injured when the opportunity arose to give a youth player time on the pitch. The best prospect of the bunch is 17 year old Carl Walley, but he's still a long way off from fighting for even a bench spot.

Striker and Winger:

The attacking positions see a lot of overlap, with most of the strikers being able to also play on a wing. The sole dedicated wide player, Rainey, has potential but didn't make an impression during the minutes he was given. Each of Read, Upson, and Morgan have scored while playing for the main team, while the spun glass man Walsh is rapidly becoming an afterthought given that he's already turned 20 and been surpassed by at least three other youth players.

We don't have any youth goalkeepers worth mentioning, it's something I've been on the lookout for but have yet to find. We could also use more depth at midfield, and at the wide positions. Of the prospects listed, I think Read, Upson, and Walley are the best prospects, but all of them have the potential to be useful.

We're in good shape, our youth team is the envy of anything below a Championship side and our young players are all improving, some at breakneck pace. We're fiscally sound, and we're as well placed as any club to keep climbing the ladder to fame, glory, and world class WAGs.

BOARD VOTE RESULTS

Vote 1, Wage Cap:
B had a majority, so our wage budget for the coming year will be 42,000 pounds a week

Vote 2, Transfer Budget:
No option gained a majority, so the results will be averaged and 90,000 pounds added to the transfer budget.

Vote 3, Funds from Transfers Available:
Option B had a majority, 80% of income from transfers will be available for future transfers.

Vote 4, Mujkic Contract:
Option C had a majority, Mujkic may be offered a contract as great as needed to get him to sign, so long as it does not exceed the current wage cap.

Vote 5, Manager's Contract:
The average of the suggestions comes out to 4.6 years at 1,075 pounds a week, with a 7.5% annual raise and a 25% promotion raise. I will endeavor to get this as exact as possible, though I may round the years up to five exactly.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 20, 2014

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

(Despondently) Well drat, I was reading this update hoping you hadn't tallied the votes yet, because I've finally caught all the way up with the thread and wanted to contribute. Ah well, the outcome's pretty close to what I'd have voted anyway, so except for a couple of quid more per week for yourself you'd have ended up with the same results.

(Passionately) You're doing fine work here, and I for one and altogether willing to give you the time you think you need in future. It's clear your teams need time at the start of a season to get themselves in order but aside from that I can see few problems with your methods. You got results and you should be proud of everything the team achieved this year.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Volume Five: Double or Nothing.
Prologue: Before the afterglow fades.
May 1, 2017-June 9, 2017

We're moving up a division, but the heart of the team is pretty well set. We've got a lot of young players who should continue to improve, so we don't need to be out there hunting for a lot of additions. Likewise, many of the youth team players are getting to the point where they can start being added to the first team rather than bringing in players from outside the club to fill holes. We've already replaced one of the six players leaving the club (Al-Beloushi, Spilsbury, Jenkins, Kadhim, Franks and Netala) with Gavin Baker, and I'm hoping Scott Shirra will be ready for some time later this season.

I've decided to look into moving Reid. He's 32 years old now and while he hasn't declined he's due for another sizeable pay bump (up to £3,900/wk). So since a team was interested in him I made them an offer.

He found out and was not pleased. Now I'm probably going to have to use him to avoid him festering in the locker-room.

My decision on Daniel Thomas is made easier when I realize he has an option year on his current contract, so I activate it. He and Ioan Peters will be our primary backups to Smissen and Tench.

I reach out to Chris Todd, who's got just a year left on his current contract, and get him to sign a very team friendly deal that will keep him with the club for the next three years at just £600/wk with no annual or promotion raises. It's generally easier to get players to sign deals right after a successful season, while they're still basking in the afterglow of victory.

It's a good thing I got to negotiations with him as quickly as I did, there's a lot of Premier League teams interested in him. Now we won't be forced to sell him, and we should be able to keep him on the club until we're challenging to join the BPL ourselves.

I also am able to wrangle Mujkic to a new contract, he's now signed through 2021 and he agreed to double his minimum fee release clause to £10m. He didn't even require going over the individual cap, after the end of year raise he's making £3,800 a week.

Chelsea's interested in him, but I'm not sure if even they're willing to pay his release fee. I'm very much hoping Mujkic stays with us for at least this season, getting promoted will be much, much easier with him. I'd like to keep him as long as possible, simply because he's got the makings of a world class player and having one of our positions locked down for the next decade would be great for the club and the fans.

Highest level of confidence possible.

I'm not very good at these chats, I keep expecting the team to be more ambitious than they are. When I ask them to gun for a mid-table finish next season several players (notably fussbudget Luke Reid) think I'm asking too much, but when I try to reduce my expectations to just staying up that angers several of the other players, including our captain Stuart Simpson.

Ugh. We still have him under contract for two more years. He's only earning a pittance, but seeing him limp about the team facilities like some broken doll depresses the other players.

We'll get 25% of any future transfer fee from Kadhim, and it'll save us a few thousand pounds in salary when he transfers three weeks before the end of his contract. Kadhim was decent for us, but I won't miss him.

Port Vale goes back up to League One, but more interesting was the saga their manager went through while leading the team to promotion.

He's actively plumping for a new job while in the League One playoffs.

The fans are happy to be rid of him despite his just getting the club promoted.

But the Port Vale board wants him to stay. Kind of an odd thing, maybe he doesn't think the team can stay up next year? But it still makes no sense as Doncaster got relegated to League Two, the job would be a demotion.

Ah, there's the payment I was expecting.

Most of it is eaten up in paying out the squad bonus, but that's OK. When you have to pay out large squad bonuses it means you're doing well.

Yeah, I'm just going to put this on my desk for everyone to see when they walk into my office.

Unfortunately for him he doesn't have an award bonus in his contract. We had a well rounded club last year, with a lot of players earning good but not spectacular average ratings and none worse than mediocre.

It's the taxman!

We're continuing to add more dues paying members, there's now over 16,500 in total after being at just 10,000 when I came to the club. I do wish we'd start hiking the price of being a supporter, 12 pounds for membership seems pretty low and right now it's not a very large source of income for us.

He must have just hired this guy, when he negotiated his new contract with me he didn't have an agent. I'm glad he ditched this particular agent, guys who refuse to negotiate at length are the absolute worst.

Drat, Sigurjonsson is pretty good and he would have been perfect to partner with Simpson. Guess I'll just have to look elsewhere. But the season across Europe has finally ended, so let's take a quick look at what happened around the continent.

Looking at that table never gets old.

It's going to be slightly harder to get promoted from here on out, there's only three promotion spots in League One and in the Championship. We're starting to play against some recognizable names now, Sunderland used to be a Premier League club before falling quite a long ways, while Portsmouth is a classic case of fiscal implosion since the departure of 'Arry Redknapp back in the mid-aughts. He did bring them an FA Cup, and honors reign forever, so who cares that they're slumming it down here these days.

Millwall, Leyton Orient, and Swindon will be joining us in League One, none are especially big names. Meanwhile, Everton is back into the BPL after the massive embarrassment of their first relegation since the Queen was coronated.

Aston Villa is relegated, which is just as much a shock as Everton's relegation was. Aston Villa are seven times champions of top division English football, they haven't played anywhere else since a brief hiccup in the 1970s saw them fall as far as what is now League One.

Cardiff City wins the FA Cup, but check out who has the most assists of any player in the tournament.

Order is restored in Spain, with Atletico dropping back to their accustomed third place.

Napoli is the first non-Juventus/Milan/Inter champion of Serie A since 2001, when Roma took the scudetto.

I accidentally took this screenshot before the season actually ended, but despite some stiffer competition than usual this season Bayern Munich won the league again. Poor Frankfurt had a miserable season, finishing in the bottom quarter of the table.

Inter wins the Europa League over Marseilles on penalty kicks, while both club's supporters whine about how making a deep Europa League run exhausts the players and how they'd be better off not even being in the competition.

Even if Atletico couldn't top their cross-town neighbors at Real Madrid in La Liga, they do conquer the Champion's League for the second time in three years. This makes it four years in a row that a Spanish team has won the CL, with Barca taking home the honors in the years where Atletico hasn't. Stupid sexy Spaniards.

Our hunt for a defensive midfielder continues, fruitless.

Mateo Mujkic kicks some real rear end during international play during the summer, which makes me eager for his return and our beginning.

I've arranged a mixed set of friendlies for the pre-season. Along with the usual local patsies we're going to be going up against Brighton and Hove Albion and Aston Villa. Both are high end Championship clubs, if we can hang with them we'll be able to hang with anyone in League One. And, of course, we'll be playing Tackleford. I've also picked up several players who are now arriving at the club as the transfer window reopens.

Mark Holland is our first signing, he'll play a backup role in our midfield.

Mark Holland
Central Midfielder

Holland has very high aggression, which concerns me a little, but his high bravery and work rate also means that he'll be a beast in the midfield destroyer role. I'm going to have him working on his technical skills, which are well sub-par compared to his excellent mental stats and pretty good physical ones.

Ryan Gorman has loads of talent, hence his high salary. He didn't break through while he was at Liverpool, but my scouts love him.

Ryan Gorman
Attacking Midfielder

“Leading Premier League attacking midfielder” you say? Yes, please. He's probably behind just Mujkic and perhaps Todd as our highest ceiling player. I'm going to primarily play him on the wings, as we don't currently use the attacking midfield spot. He's got a good chance of usurping Michael Coulson's role, but my one concern is that he's already 23 and probably near the point where he stops improving by leaps and bounds. Still, he's one of our better players already and he's ours now.

Our new backup goalkeeper, an economy model.

Tom Taylor
Goalkeeper

Taylor has a lot of potential, but is a ways from realizing it. We're now back to having an actual difference in wages between our keepers, and all told we're spending just a smidge more on Higgs and Taylor than we were on Al-Baloushi last year. First task is to get that Command of Area stat up, it's one of the critical stats for keepers, and his is extremely low.

Our youth signings Scott Shirra and Rob Johnstone have arrived as well.

Rob Johnston
Central Midfielder

Johnston is extremely raw, and will take several years of development before we can really tell if he's going to be a major part of our future. Shirra, on the other hand...

Scott Shirra
Attacking Midfielder

This is the player I dropped six figures on. He's 16, but is already one of the most technically proficient players on the club. The only reason why he won't be getting playing time from the very start is because he's got to learn his new position at central midfield. Once he does that he'll be ready to start playing alongside fellow phenoms Mujkic and Todd.

And that's where we stand as of June 9th. The transfer window is open again, and preseason friendlies are rapidly approaching. It's been a good rest for our players, but now it's time to get back to work so we can take League One by storm.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I like my new avatar, thanks whoever got it for me!

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
I didn't buy that Avatar, but it really is awesome :3

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

habeasdorkus posted:

I like my new avatar, thanks whoever got it for me!

Whoever got it is great.

londonmoose
Mar 22, 2011

I've been following this LP for a while, and it's been really entertaining so far. I just want to check something though. According to that image, is that Brentford being promoted to the Premier League there? If so, I would definitely like to live in this Football Manager universe!

For those not in the know, Brentford are a side in West London, near where I'm from, who've not been in the top division since WW2, and have spent most of their recent time in the 3rd and 4th tiers (League One & Two). At the final game of last season in League One, they were in 3rd place, one point off 2nd and the automatic promotion places, and playing the team in 2nd (Doncaster Rovers) at home for the last game. If Brentford won, they would get promoted, lose or draw, it would be the playoffs.

90 minutes on the clock, it's 0-0, and Brentford get a penalty for the chance for automatic promotion

We didn't win the playoffs either

Anyway, thanks again for this fun LP - it's nice seeing a Football Manager LP that has managed to keep going!

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Love the new avatar. I didn't do it either but it's appropriate.

Looking forward to the next season!

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.
Well, Villa are relegated, better redo that whole season. :colbert:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Hey, habeas, could you check the Brazilian league table? I kinda wanna see how my team manages to embarass itself in this virtual world.

Other than that, woo League 1 and the gently caress Those Money-Grabbing Bastards Classico is back! Quite a bit of wonderkids in our squad, hopefully they develop well. Even then (actually, a bit because of that), I wouldn't expect anything past mid-table this season while we settle into this new league. The only thing I demand as a former board member and fan is that you trample Tackleford whenever you get the chance.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Welp, this game is being pretty faithful to real life, at least regarding the Spanish league.

I hate being a supporter of Real Zaragoza. Barça and R. Madrid fans have all the fun. :argh:

Once again, great LP so far!

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008

londonmoose posted:

90 minutes on the clock, it's 0-0, and Brentford get a penalty for the chance for automatic promotion

:smug:

I was hoping to see you play Donny but it looks like we managed to get relegated from the league you got promoted to.

Also we are doing poo poo in fantasy land apparently.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

londonmoose posted:

I've been following this LP for a while, and it's been really entertaining so far. I just want to check something though. According to that image, is that Brentford being promoted to the Premier League there? If so, I would definitely like to live in this Football Manager universe!

Yep, that's Brentford getting promoted to the BPL. I guess with West Ham going down they needed another London team :)

Dias posted:

Hey, habeas, could you check the Brazilian league table? I kinda wanna see how my team manages to embarass itself in this virtual world.

What's the team? I can let you know what they've been up to.

Here's the table:

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Feb 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Oh dear, this new goalkeeper seems to have the physique of an 80-years old. He can jump fairly well, but he looks like he'd get knocked over by a not-so-stiff breeze, and take a bunch of minutes to stand up after that. Also high eccentricity-low command of area-low rushing out means he's pretty crazy and will poo poo things up in our box...

Isn't that a pretty bad thing?

• Locked thread