Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

blackcat12951 posted:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/24608551#24608551

This post worked for me, it will keep your library as well.

Seconded. I did that set of steps on my wife's laptop, and it worked fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

A couple of questions about the latest iTunes on my Mac:

Any way to speed up the mouse wheel scroll speed of the list of artists on the artists tab? For some reason it scrolls slower than anything else, like the track list, or any of my other applications.

Also, I'm using an iPhone and syncing some playlists to it. If I am listening to a track on my Mac, and want it on a playlist on my Mac and my phone, should I add it to the local playlist (to then be synced to the phone), or to the phone playlist? Or do I need to add it to both?

numbs
Jul 20, 2013

by XyloJW
I've always had horrid experiences with this software on Windows. While being a considerable powerful and useful tool for music management, it runs noticeably faster on OS X. Is there some type of hangup between iTunes and Windows, or does Apple intentionally make iTunes run slower on Windows than on OS X?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

iTunes for Windows is pretty clearly a port and, like most ported games, pretty much is just slow because it wasn't written with the platform it's running on in mind. I remember hearing at one time (a long time ago) that they had ported a substantial subset of the old Carbon API (back when even iTunes for Mac was written in Carbon) in order to get iTunes working on Windows, but I'm sure that's changed now. I doubt it's intentional as in the design document had "slow so they switch to Mac" in it, but efficiency is just not a high priority for it.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
In my experience, iTunes in Windows works reasonably well when all you're asking of it is to play music/videos.

However, attempt to do anything more than that (host different media types on different hard drives, streaming over the network, sharing, etc) and you've got to sacrifice goats weekly to ensure everything will still work. And heaven help you if your router had a hiccup or someone dropped a sock in the same room as your cable modem.

The store experience is...tepid to say the least.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Bouchacha posted:

What's the best way to set up "Add whatever is in these specific folders to the library"? I used iTLU but it seems like the API is not compatible anymore with newer versions.

This seems to work really well so far even with the free edition: http://albumbrowser.klarita.net/itfw.html (iTunes Folder Watch)

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

blackcat12951 posted:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/24608551#24608551

This post worked for me, it will keep your library as well.

Yeah, that worked.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

Bouchacha posted:

What's the best way to set up "Add whatever is in these specific folders to the library"? I used iTLU but it seems like the API is not compatible anymore with newer versions.

http://albumbrowser.klarita.net/itfw.html ITFW works fine for me with itunes 11.1.3.8, haven't tried the newest version of itunes just released.

Edit: oh hey a new page i should F5 before i post :/

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I have playlists of podcasts so I can play different podcasts in order when on my bike or in the car (weekly show type things mostly).

I have itunes match.

Apparently these two concepts are fundamentally incompatible. Anyone managed to solve this issue? I'll happily buy an app if needed but I'd rather if possible continue syncing them from itunes rather than use say, Downcast unless that's my only option.

Any ideas?

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Dudley posted:

I have playlists of podcasts so I can play different podcasts in order when on my bike or in the car (weekly show type things mostly).

I have itunes match.

Apparently these two concepts are fundamentally incompatible. Anyone managed to solve this issue? I'll happily buy an app if needed but I'd rather if possible continue syncing them from itunes rather than use say, Downcast unless that's my only option.

Any ideas?

The Podcasts app for iOS has iCloud syncing. Make sure you have it turned on in iTunes' preferences and are signed into the same account on iOS.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Somehow my iphone is now 15 mins behind the rest of my clocks. How do I fix this?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

effectual posted:

Somehow my iphone is now 15 mins behind the rest of my clocks. How do I fix this?

In the phone's settings, go to General and then Date & Time. Try turned off the "Set Automatically" slider, then turning it back on.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Sigma posted:

The Podcasts app for iOS has iCloud syncing. Make sure you have it turned on in iTunes' preferences and are signed into the same account on iOS.

It seems I have, it just doesn't want to play ball. The playlists immediately get marked offline in itunes as soon as I add a podcast too.

Solved the problem with "Just digging out an old iTouch" for now :) Thanks for trying though.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Hey I've been having problems with lots of duplicate music in iTunes with the Cloud. This makes a lot of albums unplayable since there are duplicates online and will play all of them instead of just ones that are on local hardware as well. How can I delete albums from my icloud account and reupload them? Or can I just wipe all the music off of my iCloud account and start over? I don't mind having it run in the background overnight while my music is uploaded to Apple's servers again.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Hey I've been having problems with lots of duplicate music in iTunes with the Cloud. This makes a lot of albums unplayable since there are duplicates online and will play all of them instead of just ones that are on local hardware as well. How can I delete albums from my icloud account and reupload them? Or can I just wipe all the music off of my iCloud account and start over? I don't mind having it run in the background overnight while my music is uploaded to Apple's servers again.
Do the duplicate tracks have similar titles? Can you just do View -> Show Duplicate Items and delete them?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Last Chance posted:

Do the duplicate tracks have similar titles? Can you just do View -> Show Duplicate Items and delete them?

I can do this and have, but this involves hundreds of dupes and it is especially bad on shared devices. If I delete duplicate tracks on my iPhone for instance, it will still play songs twice as the dupes are both in the cloud :(

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009
When you delete an iCloud track, you get an option to hide it in iCloud as well. Personally I just set them as unchecked and have all of my smart playlists only pick checked tracks.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Is it just me, or does iTunes Match really suck at syncing playlists or metadata? I'll buy music on one computer, but they aren't added to the "purchased" playlist on my other computer. Last played dates and play counts almost never sync across devices, which really fucks over my smart playlists.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
So I buy a Blu-Ray, and it comes with an iTunes download code. I download it. I add it to my iPad. Then, I delete it. But now, it appears on my cloud, and I can watch the movie in its entirety while on airplane mode. How does this work?

I'd even appreciate a link to something that explains this, because I'm really confused.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Red posted:

So I buy a Blu-Ray, and it comes with an iTunes download code. I download it. I add it to my iPad. Then, I delete it. But now, it appears on my cloud, and I can watch the movie in its entirety while on airplane mode. How does this work?

I'd even appreciate a link to something that explains this, because I'm really confused.

You didn't sync with iTunes on the desktop, did you? Maybe it got added back.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Nihiliste posted:

You didn't sync with iTunes on the desktop, did you? Maybe it got added back.

Doesn't look that way. The file doesn't count against the iPad's hard drive.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

since your iPad's not needed the space for anything else yet, it's kept the copy. an offline cache.
so even when you're in airplane mode it doesn't matter that it can't connect to the iTunes store. doesn't actually need to stream the movie.
liable to disappear as you download / stream other media.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

tankadillo posted:

Is it just me, or does iTunes Match really suck at syncing playlists or metadata? I'll buy music on one computer, but they aren't added to the "purchased" playlist on my other computer. Last played dates and play counts almost never sync across devices, which really fucks over my smart playlists.

I've turned Match off on my iphone. It doesn't't reliably track play counts or dates added, which makes my smart playlists useless. Plus, if your playlist refers to another playlist, it won't sync at all. I believe that it was all a backdoor way to get a paying base in place before launching iTunes Radio - it doesn't look as though they have any intention of improving the service.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Does the new iTunes update fix that thing where it keeps playing podcasts instead of just playing the podcast you clicked on and stopping when it gets to the end?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Cerv posted:

since your iPad's not needed the space for anything else yet, it's kept the copy. an offline cache.
so even when you're in airplane mode it doesn't matter that it can't connect to the iTunes store. doesn't actually need to stream the movie.
liable to disappear as you download / stream other media.

It was also storing caches of music videos and a ton of "other". I've only had the thing a month.

A restore fixed everything, though.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
I have some more free music for you guys. If you take a code, POST WHICH CODE YOU TOOK. Stop leeching.

Dum Dum Girls: Are You Okay?

K7RFLKWTMKN9
TNT649M34WHE
M467LLWPLNL7
KNRKTRA6F43E
TEYW6YF7RP6W
MALJJ66YHL4X
ALHLPXMPH4FA
WKF3MXXPYP44

David Nail: Broke My Heart

3WP7AN3PNL3P
XRTFYN6WKXYA
K9HETKATKNTH
6NFW9WPFLWFM
73X7NRFAPREA
A6T7HPRMJA3P
FNNTLX3FHTL3
9MN9FLE393AW
LMWW3TLEXHFL
XJXWXHXY6NLP

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Took ALHLPXMPH4FA, thanks!

Anyone: feel free to take MH47HEXMTERT for a Doug Paisley song.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
Snapped up WKF3MXXPYP44 for Dum Dum Girls. Thanks!

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
I took K7RFLKWTMKN9. Thanks!

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
Here's some more.

Doug Paisley: Song My Love Can Sing

XKJLTY7HX3JT
MRRHNM4FENAF
MMPKWKJNE7H9
HHFXFK3AMXXX
9N499PWW6PTY
NJ6HWXYF9KEF
EFXARFTP3F99
WA477T7W4FP9
49E6WXFTML7K
TMJLLH4FL9AE
NR37ERJK3N4N

Broken Bells: After the Disco

FW66RKAL4KET
KWE4AJTJ3EYY
4APR9LLYLYXX
64WEAHNE4HYL
3MHPLH9W33N7
JATENXEHH4YY
FHFMKNRKRXRN
TTM6YTNRMJ4R
33R69ME4LJ6J
F3P6YJJHWPAN
9XPRJPJ7KX7J
X4LJPKTRLLMY
64Y47PKM4RJ4
JTFHWPH9WN7Y

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Accipiter posted:

Here's some more.

Doug Paisley: Song My Love Can Sing

Took F3P6YJJHWPAN

Thank you!

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Accipiter posted:

FW66RKAL4KET

Thanks

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Accipiter posted:

JATENXEHH4YY

Thanks!

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

I'm at my wits' end. iTunes Match used to more or less work for me, but it's been completely unusable for past couple of days. Every time I try to update it I get an "unknown error" with the code 4010. I've already tried a couple of things like signing out and back in, nothing has helped. What could be the problem?

EDIT: Interesting, I just activated "show iTunes status" or whatever it's called, and now every single one of my songs is listed as exceeding the maximum number of 25k uploads to iCloud. Something is seriously wrong.

EDIT 2: And now error 3231 is popping up so that 4010 feels less alone. Doesn't really help me though.

Wengy fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 14, 2014

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I just did a google search and found this response that helped someone on the Apple boards:

quote:

Not sure if this helps anyone, but I'm considering this MY particular answer.

I clicked Update Genius, it quickly updated Genius...

Then I clicked "Start" on iTunes Match again and it completed fine.

Try "Update Genius" first...

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

IUG posted:

I just did a google search and found this response that helped someone on the Apple boards:

Thanks! Didn't really do anything, though. I read in different threads on the Apple forums that Match sometimes chokes on one particular file, which then holds up the matching progress. Welp, I've got like 30k songs here, no idea which one might be causing trouble.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Wengy posted:

...exceeding the maximum number of 25k uploads to iCloud. Something is seriously wrong.

Wengy posted:

I've got like 30k songs here

:crossarms:

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Until a couple of days ago, everything worked smoothly in that 25k songs were either matched or uploaded and a couple of songs were marked as exceeding the maximum. Now iTunes is telling me that every single song is over the maximum. Something is fishy.

Besides, the matching is terrible anyway; my iTunes uploaded a ton of songs that are available in the store and should simply have been matched.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
I receive e-mails from Apple for my season passes—"New episode available for download"—but when I hit "Check for Available Downloads" in iTunes it never downloads them. I have to click the link in the e-mail, which is absurd. How can I make all new Season Pass episodes download automatically, without any confirmation necessary from me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Accipiter posted:

KWE4AJTJ3EYY
I took this one. Thanks.