Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Komnenians

B is for Bulgaria, an essential part of the empire that must be restored forthwith.

(I may be a Komnenian, but my true loyalty is to the Pretty Borders faction.)

Duckbox fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Feb 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

A - fighting this war could lead to utter disaster, losing it right now is merely a minor setback. Strategic considerations make the loss of our Armenian province a necessary sacrifice.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Hey Rincewind, I'm in a different timezone and will be sleeping when voting is over. Here is the up to date list for you that is correct until this post.

Old Romans: 12

Thanqol
Jazerus
mcclay
DivineCoffeeBinge
Sky Shadowing
EightDeer
StrifeHira
Flesnolk
NewMars
Ubern00b
Horsebanger
Mortuus

New Byzantines: 26

Rogue0071
Pyroi
Ofaloaf
DentedLamp
Gygaxian
Clayren
zephyr42
Caustic Soda
HenessyHero
RabidWeasel
Sleep of Bronze
ChrisAsmadi
Meinberg
TheMcD
sheep-dodger
Luhood
Aeromancia
Blackunknown
Rejected Fate
Technowolf
Frozen_flame
cokerpilot
Syce300
Ezo45
Jimmy4400nav
Mirdini

Milvians: 6

Sindai
JT Jag
occipitallobe
LordGugs
AJ_Impy
YF-23

Komnenians: 6
Patter Song
Lord Windy
Muskatnuss
ZearothK
Ghetto Prince
Duckbag

A: 31

Sindai, Rogue0071, Pyroi, Ofaloaf, Jazerus, JT Jag, DivineCoffeeBinge, Gygaxian, Clayren, Sky Shadowing, EightDeer, zephyr42, Lord Windy, Caustic Soda, StrifeHira, RabidWeasel, Sleep of Bronze, NewMars, ChrisAsmadi, TheMcD, Muskatnuss, Blackunknown, Rejected Fate, ZearothK, Frozen_flame, Ghetto Prince, cokerpilot, Horsebanger, Ezo45, Jimmy4400nav, Mirdini

B: 5

Thanqol, LordGugs, Ubern00b, Mortuus, Duckbag

C: 14

mcclay, occipitallobe, Patter Song, DentedLamp, HenessyHero, Flesnolk, Meinberg, sheep-dodger, Luhood, AJ_Impy, YF-23, Aeromancia, Technowolf, Syce300

Grim reaper
Aug 26, 2004

Old Romans

A. ἀνήρ ὁ ϕɛύγων καὶ ράλίν μαχήɛṯαί.
A man who flees will fight again.

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.

A. Run awaayyyyyy.

Roman blood is pricey stuff. Throwing it over the fields needlessly is wasteful.

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Commander, make full speed to JP1 and activate your active sensor to keep watch for any unauthorized transits.

A. Our ancestors knew when to fight and when to talk, and we need to bide our time until we are strong again.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

A: retaking Bulgaria must be priority A number one before we can consider fighting the Persians. Losing such a huge swatch of land right on the doorstep of Constantinople is unacceptable, and we actually, you know, have the means of fighting them. Surrender or, if that is absolutely disgraceful, let a little Persian blood, but under no circumstances should you trade Bulgaria for a single Anatolian province. We must accept our weakened circumstances and fight when we can actually win rather than throwing ourselves into the Persian maw for the sheer stubborn glory of it all.

PS I also loved The History of Rome and I would love another pseudo THoR update. And if you have not given Revolutions a shot, you are doing yourself a disservice.

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib

A because Bulgaria has to be brought back into the fold first. Then...it's time to reunite Christianity!

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Voting closed two hours ago! Results shortly.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Old Romans: 15

Thanqol
Jazerus
mcclay
DivineCoffeeBinge
Sky Shadowing
EightDeer
StrifeHira
Flesnolk
NewMars
Ubern00b
Horsebanger
Mortuus
Grim reaper
Jihad Joe
Gnooble

New Byzantines: 26

Rogue0071
Pyroi
Ofaloaf
DentedLamp
Gygaxian
Clayren
zephyr42
Caustic Soda
HenessyHero
RabidWeasel
Sleep of Bronze
ChrisAsmadi
Meinberg
TheMcD
sheep-dodger
Luhood
Aeromancia
Blackunknown
Rejected Fate
Technowolf
Frozen_flame
cokerpilot
Syce300
Ezo45
Jimmy4400nav
Mirdini

Milvians: 6

Sindai
JT Jag
occipitallobe
LordGugs
AJ_Impy
YF-23

Komnenians: 6
Patter Song
Lord Windy
Muskatnuss
ZearothK
Ghetto Prince
Duckbag

A: 34

Sindai, Rogue0071, Pyroi, Ofaloaf, Jazerus, JT Jag, DivineCoffeeBinge, Gygaxian, Clayren, Sky Shadowing, EightDeer, zephyr42, Lord Windy, Caustic Soda, StrifeHira, RabidWeasel, Sleep of Bronze, NewMars, ChrisAsmadi, TheMcD, Muskatnuss, Blackunknown, Rejected Fate, ZearothK, Frozen_flame, Ghetto Prince, cokerpilot, Horsebanger, Ezo45, Jimmy4400nav, Mirdini, Grim reaper, Jihad Joe, Gnooble

B: 5

Thanqol, LordGugs, Ubern00b, Mortuus, Duckbag

C: 14

mcclay, occipitallobe, Patter Song, DentedLamp, HenessyHero, Flesnolk, Meinberg, sheep-dodger, Luhood, AJ_Impy, YF-23, Aeromancia, Technowolf, Syce300

:siren: We will surrender to the Saimids. The New Byzantines are ascendant. :siren:

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Grim reaper posted:

Old Romans

A. ἀνήρ ὁ ϕɛύγων καὶ ράλίν μαχήɛṯαί.
A man who flees will fight again.

Ἀνὴρ ὁ φεύγων καὶ πάλιν μαχήσεται. ράλίν is a gently caress up by whoever you got that from because they don't know the Greek alphabet properly and assumed the thing that looks like an English p sounds like an English p. It doesn't. The sigma needs to be in μαχήσεται because that's how you know it's future. The tau in that word needs to actually be a tau instead of a Roman alphabet t too. The man who flees will also fight again.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
The Modernizers Populists New Byzantines shall lead this great Empire into ruin! :argh:

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Sky Shadowing posted:

The Modernizers Populists New Byzantines shall lead this great Empire into ruin! :argh:

I find your position to be disagreeable!

Speaking of modernizing, modernizing our military should begin before we attempt any further wars. I stand my point that a new standing army of professional cataphracts loyal to the purple would give us a huge advantage against all threats, both internal and external.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Meinberg posted:

I find your position to be disagreeable!

Speaking of modernizing, modernizing our military should begin before we attempt any further wars. I stand my point that a new standing army of professional cataphracts loyal to the purple would give us a huge advantage against all threats, both internal and external.

I've been keeping my retinues at the cap for most of the game, although we're at about half strength right now since I haven't had a chance to replenish the retinues wiped out in the last three wars.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Sky Shadowing posted:

You know what led us into this mess in the first place? The Schism! If we just acknowledged the Bishop of Rome as head of the Church, we could get Franks and Germans to die for us instead of risking the cream of our GreekRoman youth against the Saimid hordes.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Senators! Greeks! Countrymen! Lend me your ears, if just for a moment. Before we even think about attacking the Saimids, we must first take care of the Bulgarian Rebellion that has the GALL to call itself an empire. We need our troops back for that first, then we can concern ourselves with expanding eastwards.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Pyroi posted:

Senators! Greeks! Countrymen! Lend me your ears, if just for a moment. Before we even think about attacking the Saimids, we must first take care of the Bulgarian Rebellion that has the GALL to call itself an empire. We need our troops back for that first, then we can concern ourselves with expanding eastwards.

Pretty sure that's the plan. Not to steal your thunder, but I'm fairly sure that more than half a dozen senators have made that point before you.

Also, it'd be pretty interesting if we eventually ended up some sort of Republic in EU and then a liberal democracy in Vicky because of our "liberal" tendencies (since the New Byzantines are the most republican of the parties). Everybody's done the Byzantine Empire, but the Byzantine Federal Republic would be something pretty spiffy.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Ofaloaf posted:

You know what led us into this mess in the first place? The Schism! If we just acknowledged the Bishop of Rome as head of the Church, we could get Franks and Germans to die for us instead of risking the cream of our GreekRoman youth against the Saimid hordes.
The Schism was entirely the fault of the Bishop of Rome for heretically believing that only he is capable of speaking for the Lord. Autocephaly is a core principle of Orthodoxy! The Pope in Rome was considered to simply be an equal amongst the Pentarchy. Perhaps a first amongst equals, as our Ecumenical Patriarch is now, but nothing more than that. It is these so-called "Catholics" who should bow at our feet, not the other way around.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Sky Shadowing posted:

Silence, Greek dog! Western Rome crumbled where they stood, and yet you gaze back at the Italian peninsula dreaming of ages past. It is you and your Old Romans who will bring upon our fall, remembering the glory days while stuffing your head in Serbian clay. The West is gone, drowning in not only heresy but in their own filth as well. The future is here, in Constantinople, and in Byzantion. In the Bulgarian and Crimean lands to the north as well as the Georgian and Turkish lands to the east. A Roman Empire where being Roman doesn't necessarily mean being Greek. A Roman Empire which dreams of the future rather than delves in the past.

The Turks assail our borders, watching our land with blood in their eyes, and you simply fall over on our backs like mangy dogs? My blood may be Muslim, but unlike the lot of you my heart will always remain a brave Roman one! The only way to survive the future onslaught of the Saimids is to prove to them we aren't afraid. Prove to them who the real master is. Such is the way of Rome.

In other news, A was actually the better choice. But why be wise when you can RP, right? Also, no hard feelings right?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

JT Jag posted:

The Schism was entirely the fault of the Bishop of Rome for heretically believing that only he is capable of speaking for the Lord. Autocephaly is a core principle of Orthodoxy! The Pope in Rome was considered to simply be an equal amongst the Pentarchy. Perhaps a first amongst equals, as our Ecumenical Patriarch is now, but nothing more than that. It is these so-called "Catholics" who should bow at our feet, not the other way around.
Quite frankly, I agree with you on theological grounds. Moreover, getting real angry over theological differences is one of our empire's finest traditions. Sadly, we've got to engage in some realistic politics here. While the so-called Catholics are the ones who ought to be bowing at our feet, we need their help more than they need ours.

Even if (God forbid!) we were to perish, the petty principalities of the Balkans would still act as a buffer between the Muslims and the Germans, Italians et cetera. We can't make them care for us with arguments based on realistic concerns, so the only other way to get them to care is with religious concerns.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Okay, fine, if you want to condemn the entire Empire to bathe in an eternal lake of hellfire just to win a few convenient political points, be my guest.

Oh wait, no. Screw you!

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Luhood posted:

Silence, Greek dog! Western Rome crumbled where they stood, and yet you gaze back at the Italian peninsula dreaming of ages past. It is you and your Old Romans who will bring upon our fall, remembering the glory days while stuffing your head in Serbian clay. The West is gone, drowning in not only heresy but in their own filth as well. The future is here, in Constantinople, and in Byzantion. In the Bulgarian and Crimean lands to the north as well as the Georgian and Turkish lands to the east. A Roman Empire where being Roman doesn't necessarily mean being Greek. A Roman Empire which dreams of the future rather than delves in the past.

It is the civic duty of all Romans to restore Order and Civilization to all the peoples of the world, not just the Turks, the Bulgarians, but to the Gauls, the Iberians, and the Britons. I dream of a future where all of Christendom is protected and unified, where a man may walk from the shores of tthe Great Ocean in the West to pray in Holy Jerusalem and never feel threatened because Roman might shall bring ruin to one who would threaten him.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

JT Jag posted:

Okay, fine, if you want to condemn the entire Empire to bathe in an eternal lake of hellfire just to win a few convenient political points, be my guest.
Look, the Patriarch and some Roman legates excommunicated each other less than a century ago, those excommunications were personal and not church-wide, and everybody involved in it is dead by now. We haven't killed that many Latins since then and they haven't messed with us that much. Acknowledging the Bishop of Rome as the primus inter pares barely means a thing anyways, since Christendom is so large that our churches can effectively carry on as they always have.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Sky Shadowing posted:

It is the civic duty of all Romans to restore Order and Civilization to all the peoples of the world, not just the Turks, the Bulgarians, but to the Gauls, the Iberians, and the Britons. I dream of a future where all of Christendom is protected and unified, where a man may walk from the shores of tthe Great Ocean in the West to pray in Holy Jerusalem and never feel threatened because Roman might shall bring ruin to one who would threaten him.

But, my friend, are we truly Rome anymore? We must look past the past and find our own way into the future--after all, had Caesar not fought against the demands of the Republic, we would not have even have the Empire to look back on! We must not say that we are Rome, we must say that we are the heirs to Rome! This is an age where we must devise new tactics and ideas if we ever hope to claim our rightful inheritance, not wallow in past glories!

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

JT Jag posted:

Not to mention what good are allies who would more likely than not never show up to the fighting? In the time it would take for the Franks to call their banners, assemble an army, begin the march and arrive to our aid, the war would likely be over one way or another.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Komnenians

This is the faction for fun-havers, right? I want to vote for fun. Also vote for less votes, as per usual. Lucky I missed this round of voting too.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Flesnolk posted:

Not to mention what good are allies who would more likely than not never show up to the fighting? In the time it would take for the Franks to call their banners, assemble an army, begin the march and arrive to our aid, the war would likely be over one way or another.

hmm yess tell me about how the Catholics were too far away to help us out in our war against rum

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
The HRE, sure, but I said France.

(Or maybe I'm too used to the AI taking loving for ever to do anything in my games.)

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Flesnolk posted:

The HRE, sure, but I said France.

(Or maybe I'm too used to the AI taking loving for ever to do anything in my games.)
I figured you just arbitrarily singled out France as an example, since I was arguing for getting in good graces with Catholics in general. Heck, Hungary's even closer to us than the HRE, and they've got a decent amount of manpower we could utilize if we could just stop getting so wound up about some eighty-year-old excommunications.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
If we could swing it, an alliance with Hungary might not be a bad idea at all; I have no qualms, for my part, about alliances with the Catholics. While I might prefer ending the Schism, we need a healthy Empire to do that, and so I am certain that my fellow Senators will understand that compromises must be made to ensure said health.

Lest there be some qualms among the more warlike among us, as well - it is imperative that no one delude themselves into believing that war with the Muslims is to be avoided at all costs! Even those of us voting to simply surrender the desired province realize that that is not so. It is only that the Empire's current military strength is dangerously depleted; once our might has been restored, then we should - we must! - work towards the reclamation of Anatolia. But let us pick fights we can win, not merely fights we feel compelled to pursue for the sake of pride.

The reclamation of Bulgaria will prove a boon in that department, as the manpower and economic income we will gain from those lands will only make us stronger... strong enough to crush the Turks.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
All y'all should sit on your votes until you finish reading the glorious Strategikon of dear Emperor Maurice.

Thread homework.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

HenessyHero posted:

All y'all should sit on your votes until you finish reading the glorious Strategikon of dear Emperor Maurice.

Thread homework.
Or if you can't find a copy, which would be a drat shame but is somewhat common because the modern day military establishment does not recognize the value of this gem and thus it is often out of print, you can just read this.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Missed the vote, but in keeping with my paradox traditions of late, Orthodox zealotry seems to be the way to go.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

If we could swing it, an alliance with Hungary might not be a bad idea at all; I have no qualms, for my part, about alliances with the Catholics.

Yes, but it's perfectly possible for us to ally with Catholics without becoming Catholic, isn't it? We were allied by marriage to the HRE in Alexios' day.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Flesnolk posted:

Yes, but it's perfectly possible for us to ally with Catholics without becoming Catholic, isn't it? We were allied by marriage to the HRE in Alexios' day.

Of course - and any who say otherwise are deluding themselves.

Alexios' greatness set the stage for our resurgence; we must never be afraid to follow his example!

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Komnenians

This is the faction for fun-havers, right? I want to vote for fun. Also vote for less votes, as per usual. Lucky I missed this round of voting too.

Hell yes, welcome to the party! We've got wine, women, and my buddy Troy's got some sick "Greek fire," but keep it on the downlow, we don't want those uptight bastard Milvians to make a big stink about it.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
It wouldn't be Roman if we didn't have kicking parties and orgies! Komnenians = best party.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

Flesnolk posted:

Alexios was a perfect Emperor with no faults whatsoever, and it's kind of weird to make marriage arrangements for the new emperor before she's started teething.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Duckbag posted:

Hell yes, welcome to the party! We've got wine, women, and my buddy Troy's got some sick "Greek fire," but keep it on the downlow, we don't want those uptight bastard Milvians to make a big stink about it.
Aw yiss.

What's up with the Rus and their kind? Are we the lone Orthodox power in the world? (Bulgarian treachery aside)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Aw yiss.

What's up with the Rus and their kind? Are we the lone Orthodox power in the world? (Bulgarian treachery aside)
Between the Rus and us rests the Cumans and various other dregs of Tartary. Kiev is big as of the 1101 world map (I didn't catch a more recent one), but you know how Rurikids are with their civil wars. So, basically, what few Orthodox states are out there cannot help us.

I keep telling you guys, our best chance for help comes from the Latins.

• Locked thread