Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Nephilm posted:

I only have a cursory understanding of GPU Boost, but that seems consistent with hitting the TDP limit before the temperature one.

Yup! An overclocking BIOS would be required to go further. skyn3t modifies various BIOS on the 780 Owner's club (overclock.net) if you wanted to delve into further overclocking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

You can still add a core offset on top of the boost using afterburner without having to delve into BIOS fuckery. The biggest limiting factor there will likely be the maximum voltage offsets allowed by the stock BIOS, and that is when you can go onto skyn3t's BIOS for greater headroom.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

BurritoJustice posted:

You can still add a core offset on top of the boost using afterburner without having to delve into BIOS fuckery. The biggest limiting factor there will likely be the maximum voltage offsets allowed by the stock BIOS, and that is when you can go onto skyn3t's BIOS for greater headroom.

:doh: Yes, that is very much the first step. Thank you for reminding everyone to take those first steps; voltage offsets are definitely before custom BIOS!

I made a crash course post on overclocking a 780 on overclock.net. It might help unlock some extra speed. I hit 1267 on my 780 with 1.21V (stock voltage limit).

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The new nVidia cards are now officially announced:

The first Maxwells: The GTX 750 and GTX 750 Ti

The fully armed and operational Kepler GK110: The GTX Titan Black

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Animal posted:

He could sell his 290's to buttcoiners, get the 780 Ti's for a break even price, and the Shield for free?

This was kind of the thought process. Since I'm still stuck playing most games that don't like multiple cards, and buttcoiners are still paying stupid prices for 290s. Flip the 290s and buy a couple classified Ti, but after looking, my cards are still more powerful at the resolution that I play than even the Ti Classy. Maybe sell all 3 for a titan black :p

I have a problem.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Rastor posted:

Thought this was pretty lame until I saw the pricing. Hopefully the next tier up come out soon so I can pick up someones 660ti to sli for cheap

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

veedubfreak posted:

I have a problem.

No, VDUB, you have a solution.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Ignoarints posted:

Thought this was pretty lame until I saw the pricing. Hopefully the next tier up come out soon so I can pick up someones 660ti to sli for cheap

The real impressive thing about it is the greatly improved power efficiency, especially since it's still on 28nm. This gives me high hopes for when they introduce the higher end cards on the 20nm process.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

MaxxBot posted:

The real impressive thing about it is the greatly improved power efficiency, especially since it's still on 28nm. This gives me high hopes for when they introduce the higher end cards on the 20nm process.

Oh, yes. All the overclock headroom, or a GTX 770 SLI equivalent on 550W.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
Yeah I didn't mean to bash it, it's definitely great progress and hopefully it translates to more room for faster cards that were otherwise not practical power wise

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Is it me or do none of the 750 or 750ti models have a thingy for SLI?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Rastor posted:

The Maxwell parts are extremely impressive. Remember, this chip is the replacement for the plain GT650- Not the 650Ti or Ti-Boost, those are GK106 parts vs the GK107 plain 650. That, and the OCing results put a SIXTY WATT tdp 150$ card right up on the same tier with a *140* watt 230$ GTX660 in everything but crysis 3. The potential mobile SOCs using this guy plus the high end cards should own.

Yea, they're still slower (usually) than the AMD card at the same price point, but use far less power.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Ah jeez, I just though of something... I remember seeing that for all those cryptocoins, there's some kind of CUDA miner that lets you use Nvidia cards half as effectively as AMD. I hope this thing being twice as energy efficient doesn't cause it to become a viable mining card, raising it over MSRP.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
This card is probably just too low end, great perf. per watt notwithstanding.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

Is it me or do none of the 750 or 750ti models have a thingy for SLI?

Nope. Neither the 750 nor the 750TI support SLI. It'd be kind of pointless for such low-end cards, and NVIDIA presumably do not want 2x750TI cutting into their 760 profits.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
It'd be more interesting to see how mobile Maxwell shapes out, given the performance/watt increase and the common 128 bit DDR5 bus.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Gwaihir posted:

This card is probably just too low end, great perf. per watt notwithstanding.
Bad news, while this won't appeal to those going for max kilohashes/second, it sounds like the miners are getting interested.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Rastor posted:

Bad news, while this won't appeal to those going for max kilohashes/second, it sounds like the miners are getting interested.

While great for the video card companies, it kind of sucks to see PC gaming being hurt by buttcoin pushing up prices on so many cards. I liked my 5850 and would have liked to continued the AMD thing with a 290 or whatever, but being $100+ over MSRP is pretty ridiculous.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

subx posted:

While great for the video card companies, it kind of sucks to see PC gaming being hurt by buttcoin pushing up prices on so many cards. I liked my 5850 and would have liked to continued the AMD thing with a 290 or whatever, but being $100+ over MSRP is pretty ridiculous.

I don't know how good it is actually is for AMD. They don't get any extra money from the inflated price, and the massive increase in price push sane customers to NVIDIA. The only people who seem to really benefit from this is retailers who jack up prices.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

They should be able to up production of cards if this keeps on going for long enough, unless there's some other reason for why they'd not benefit from selling more cards.

I want me some 860 cards :sigh:

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Pimpmust posted:

They should be able to up production of cards if this keeps on going for long enough, unless there's some other reason for why they'd not benefit from selling more cards.

I want me some 860 cards :sigh:
Rumor has it there's a shortage of components other than the GPUs.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I'm interested to see if the 6gb of memory on the Titan Black helps at all to catch up with the 290x at superhigh resolutions. I have a feeling the ROP count is still going to keep 4k/multimonitor swaying towards the AMD side.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Is there any risk of the Nvidia Maxwell cards being good for coin mining? I don't want to see the Maxwell Nvidia cards get price gouged to hell and back too because of these stupid coin miners.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Read a few posts up. The gist of it is that traditionally, mining with Nvidia GPUs yielded about half the performance of equivalent AMD hardware, but if Maxwell doubles the performance per watt as promised then that brings them to parity so its pure profit mine mine mine

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

spasticColon posted:

Is there any risk of the Nvidia Maxwell cards being good for coin mining? I don't want to see the Maxwell Nvidia cards get price gouged to hell and back too because of these stupid coin miners.

You couldn't read the page? Yeah, mathematically they could appear profitable to coin miners, they have a competitive hash-to-wattage ratio and will probably have a competitive street price to AMD offerings, even taking gimpy CUDA mining into account.

But hey, tons of manufacturers are already selling them right now on Amazon for MSRP, so if you're that worried you could get on it.

Edit: I would have bought two already if they'd support SLI. The ASUS model has the drat dual fan heatsink, that thing is probably crazy quiet when it only has a max of 60 watts to cool.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 19, 2014

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Rastor posted:

drat it I missed this post. These retarded buttcoin miners are going to ruin PC Gaming. Fuuuuuck. :negative:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

GrizzlyCow posted:

Nope. Neither the 750 nor the 750TI support SLI. It'd be kind of pointless for such low-end cards, and NVIDIA presumably do not want 2x750TI cutting into their 760 profits.

Along these lines, I know Asus put out a 760 dual-GPU card recently, is there any reason they can't do the same with this? Can Nvidia cock-block such a card? With such a low TDP I could almost imagine something insane like 3 or 4 GPUs on a single board.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Zero VGS posted:

Along these lines, I know Asus put out a 760 dual-GPU card recently, is there any reason they can't do the same with this? Can Nvidia cock-block such a card? With such a low TDP I could almost imagine something insane like 3 or 4 GPUs on a single board.

Drivers? Ultimately, SLI support is dependent on that.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
Nobody mines bitcoins with GPUs any more, and also, if you look at overall total hashrates of various altcoins vs number of GPUs shipped, you can see that theoretically they should barely be putting a dent in the supply, so not sure what's going on... maybe consumer oriented distributors/retailers like newegg never got a huge proportion of production to begin with, and the few miners are choking them out, while OEMs etc. get the bulk of the cards as always and the miners obviously don't have access to buy those ones?

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why are miners even buying rigs anymore when ASIC miners blow them out of the water in terms of GH/WH?

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Chuu posted:

Why are miners even buying rigs anymore when ASIC miners blow them out of the water in terms of GH/WH?

I think it's because ASIC miners are very difficult to actually purchase.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

fookolt posted:

I think it's because ASIC miners are very difficult to actually purchase.

It's not that hard to purchase one right now because the next gen units (which are very hard to purchase) are soon going to appear in the wild and are much more efficient thanks to a die shrink.

I've seen some people unloading Avalons on Tradeloop of all places.

EDIT: I suspect a lot of miners are essentially arb'ing free electricity into money; because unless we hit $1K/coin again there is no way they're ever going to be profitable.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 19, 2014

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Straker posted:

Nobody mines bitcoins with GPUs any more, and also, if you look at overall total hashrates of various altcoins vs number of GPUs shipped, you can see that theoretically they should barely be putting a dent in the supply, so not sure what's going on... maybe consumer oriented distributors/retailers like newegg never got a huge proportion of production to begin with, and the few miners are choking them out, while OEMs etc. get the bulk of the cards as always and the miners obviously don't have access to buy those ones?

Chuu posted:

Altcoin mining is very popular and there aren't ASICs for it. In fact, the current profitability method for cryptocurrency mining is to mine litecoins or some other poo poo, trade for bitcoins, then trade bitcoins for dollars at coinbase.

MajesticTrout
Apr 23, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

...something insane like 3 or 4 GPUs on a single board.

I wouldn't mind seeing a modern Voodoo 5 6000, just for the sheer novelty of it.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Chuu posted:

It's not that hard to purchase one right now because the next gen units (which are very hard to purchase) are soon going to appear in the wild and are much more efficient thanks to a die shrink.

I've seen some people unloading Avalons on Tradeloop of all places.

Ah, I guess things have changed since I last checked on this stuff.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nephilm posted:

Altcoin mining is very popular and there aren't ASICs for it. In fact, the current profitability method for cryptocurrency mining is to mine litecoins or some other poo poo, trade for bitcoins, then trade bitcoins for dollars at coinbase.

I haven't done much research into altcoins; but I heard the algo behind litecoin mining was as efficient on nVidia GPUs as ATI? Is that not true?

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Chuu posted:

I haven't done much research into altcoins; but I heard the algo behind litecoin mining was as efficient on nVidia GPUs as ATI? Is that not true?

Nope, AMD soundly beats Nvidia architectures in the current scrypt implementations.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Chuu posted:

No. Litecoin and altcoin of the month mining is the cause of the current AMD GPU price inflation. AMD vs NVIDIA for Litecoin mining. The Titan is about on par with a 7850 when it comes to Litecoin mining (and Litecoin mining alternatives). Also, incidentally, Litecoin was specifically designed to avoid ASIC mining. Currently, it is more profitable to use a GPU.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Nephilm posted:

Nope, AMD soundly beats Nvidia architectures in the current scrypt implementations.

However Maxwell is looking so power-efficient that it will be competitive on a performance/watt basis.

If it is 3x slower but uses 1/5th the power of a 290x it becomes a reasonable choice for anyone thinking about their electric bill. Miners use ridiculous contraptions to attach a bunch of cards to one motherboard so saying one card doesn't have that much raw power isn't necessarily going to stop them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Nephilm posted:

Getting into the math, an R9 270X has a street price of around $220 (at the very lowest) and will hash 420 kH/sec at 120 watts. It is regarded as one of the most cost effective mining cards currently.

The 750ti has a street price of $155 (can be nabbed right now on Amazon) and with an overclock can do 300 kH/sec at 65 watts.

So, the 750ti gets about 40% less hash for 40% less cost to purchase the card, but also would have you spending 50% less money on the electric bill, 50% less on big-fuckoff power supplies, and the waste heat would be way easier to manage.

The bad news is economically-minded miners who are in it for the long term are going to start buying these up. The good news is that most of what I said above translates to gaming as much as it does hashing, and there's a chance that Nvidia might be able to keep up supply well enough that the invisible hand of NewEgg won't start fisting people.