Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

John Dough posted:

Netherlands has the most medals again due to winning almost everything involving ice skating :geert:

that's because they're the only place in the world to take it seriously, same way flemings 'dominate' cyclocross

so it's good for them, but also kind of a bad sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

e: wrong thread

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 18, 2014

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

US Ambassador to Ukraine Geoffrey Pryatt directing traffic, letting cars through to Euromaidan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJRLBM6iaI8

Delightful little international incident in the making.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

SquadronROE posted:

It's obvious that camera robot won.

Is there a view from that camera robot posted somewhere?

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

SquadronROE posted:

It's obvious that camera robot won.

That's actually a basket of shower curtains and doorknobs. It's kind of like the rabbit at the race track.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

I'll sell you a Sochi ticket for one dog.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

Phlegmish posted:

that's because they're the only place in the world to take it seriously, same way flemings 'dominate' cyclocross

so it's good for them, but also kind of a bad sign.

gently caress you you're just jealous.

We won't be able to take silver or bronze in the team pursuit, maybe you other countries could have a go at that? :smug:

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

turtlecrunch posted:

I'll sell you a Sochi ticket for one dog.

Are all the athletes in the stands, or is that a picture of their empty seats for later?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

So... are Paralympics going to be held in this hot mess next?

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://vine.co/v/M73KXxUeJj7

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, it's strange though. I think we're probably better at shooting than the other nations, but finding someone who both shoots AND skis is probably a bit difficult for us. Also, a lot of those competitors from Scandinavian countries, Russia, and a few others like Switzerland tend to also be out of the military or subsided indirectly by the military, where being able to shoot and ski cross-country is that's still a major thing. Biathlon's origins came from alpine infantry.

I'll try not to go all TFR in here but much like there are dozens of ways to get down a snowy mountain there are a large number of shooting disciplines. We Americans tend to do most of our precision shooting while sitting at a bench and using high magnification scopes.

China, South Korea and Italy all took home more medals in the shooting sports than us in the 2012 Summer Olympics.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

MisterOblivious posted:

I'll try not to go all TFR in here but much like there are dozens of ways to get down a snowy mountain there are a large number of shooting disciplines. We Americans tend to do most of our precision shooting while sitting at a bench and using high magnification scopes.

China, South Korea and Italy all took home more medals in the shooting sports than us in the 2012 Summer Olympics.

False: asians have slant eyes and therefore have bad vision and can't shoot anything because they can't see anything.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Agrajag posted:

False: asians have slant eyes and therefore have bad vision and can't shoot anything because they can't see anything.

False: Squinted eyes give you clearer vision by changing the focus points in the eye thereby enabling you to shoot more accurately at distance.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

MisterOblivious posted:

True. U.S. medals in 2012 were in 50m three-position (which is exactly like you said, stationary precision shooting through scopes) and in skeet shooting.

I know South Korea is hardcore into competitive shooting. I remember a friend telling me watching some skeet competition that when into overtime, where the competitors where still shooting it out in the middle of a monsoon and still hitting their skeets.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

LOL, CNBC's Curling coverage just had a segment of slo-mo shots of the British Women's team skip interspersed with close-ups of her yelling "HAAAAARRRRD!"

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Young Freud posted:

True. U.S. medals in 2012 were in 50m three-position (which is exactly like you said, stationary precision shooting through scopes) an

None of the Olympic shooting sports use "scopes" or magnification of any kind. "Sitting at a bench and using high magnification scopes" is not at all like shooting self-supported through iron sights.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Cthulu Carl posted:

LOL, CNBC's Curling coverage just had a segment of slo-mo shots of the British Women's team skip interspersed with close-ups of her yelling "HAAAAARRRRD!"

yes

:dong:

10 hours until she pulls off the monumental upset

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Vertical Lime posted:

10 hours until she pulls off the monumental upset

Yes I imagine she will be upset

When she loses to Canada

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

angerbeet posted:

Yes I imagine she will be upset

When she loses to Canada

Even Abe is on our side.

There is but one outcome and it is a Canadian victory.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
We all know this, but sometimes you gotta cheer for the little guy, even if you know he's terrible and is gonna lose, so he doesn't lose heart. Which is why I'm a Pittsburgh Pirates fan

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

peanut posted:

So... are Paralympics going to be held in this hot mess next?

They're still working on making Russia wheelchair accessible. Don't worry, it will be done in time. The tarps are almost finished.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Great Britain's final shot against Norway's Pants...

Murdoch's got some balls carved from curling stones.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

davebo posted:

They're still working on making Russia wheelchair accessible. Don't worry, it will be done in time. The tarps are almost finished.

The tarps will be cut into dog harnesses. The weelchair bound just need to capture a stray or two for transport.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Do bobsledders really warm up with hurdles? Or is that just what they tell the press while they troll Lolo Jones?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
That other Russian team and their D.A.R.E. PSA dance

Extras:
1, 2, 3, 4

In their defense they had one move I liked more than any other in the freedance even though it had a clunky execution.

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.
Haven't seen this linked here yet I don't think, but here is Sir David Attenborough doing some Curling commentary...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPYOoPy3t5A

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Nothing more I like rather than lackadaisical air.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

auzdark posted:

Haven't seen this linked here yet I don't think, but here is Sir David Attenborough doing some Curling commentary...

curling finally sense.

Also Anna sloan would have no trouble infiltrating the Scandinavian teams

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

Suddenly I loving love the Olympics.

turtlecrunch posted:

In their defense they had one move I liked more than any other in the freedance even though it had a clunky execution.
If he was Jewish before...

Paradox Personified fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 19, 2014

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

auzdark posted:

What a drat soothing voice that man has.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

auzdark posted:

drat it, Sir David, that's not alpha female! She just the Third. The Skip is the alpha!

You can't even trust Attenborough these days :saddowns:

you irl
Jan 22, 2014
oh christ that half-pipe skiing injury.. guy blows out his acl, lays on the ground grabbing his knee and screaming for a while, then skis off

you irl
Jan 22, 2014
They barely have enough finishers to fill the next round, the announcer said if you just land any trick at this point you're in

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

you irl posted:

They barely have enough finishers to fill the next round, the announcer said if you just land any trick at this point you're in

Makes me think of the funny speed skater story in which the guy's strategy was just to hang back and then sail past the big crash.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

etalian posted:

Makes me think of the funny speed skater story in which the guy's strategy was just to hang back and then sail past the big crash.
This guy? I love this guy

Paradox Personified fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 19, 2014

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Steven Bradbury is a fuckin hero and I'm not Australian/someone who cares about speed skating

grapey
Oct 10, 2012
That halfpipe injury was killer :( Poor guy.

I'm in Colorado, and after seeing all these Colorado kids competing, I see a commercial telling me Colorado's childhood obesity rate is growing super fast. Something doesn't jive. Plus I'm a fat, so I know we're still the skinniest state in the US.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

you irl posted:

oh christ that half-pipe skiing injury.. guy blows out his acl, lays on the ground grabbing his knee and screaming for a while, then skis off

Was this during qualis or what? I want to see the vod

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Reposting from the Olympics forum since I was looking for snowboard cross poo poo (which was not on the sports page for no apparent reason) for like 2 days before I saw it

Badfinger posted:

By the way, this is apparently the unmarked, untabbed page you can wind your way towards by means of black magic to watch full event replays. I am just going to assume it will update and catalog days at the bottom as it goes.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/olympics-live-extra-schedule?ctx=live-extra

NBC :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I will never ever complain about my taxes going towards the CBC. Not that I ever have, CBC owns.

• Locked thread