Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

temple posted:

champagnepapi.jpg

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Where should I start with Gil Scott-Heron?

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

temple posted:

We can do this, if this is what we are going to do

edit: wait, I'm getting confused now. I'll stop. Is Young Thug gay?

No he claims he is not.

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/rick-ross-mastermind-interview-vice

Check out this whingey, highly analytical article about why a journalists interview got shut down. For whoever this guys room mate is tell him he sounds like a child whinging about how he really respects rick ross then about how he just needed to hear him out. Nobody gives a gently caress about the ecstasy lyric anymore, stop. I hope there is video footage of this so we can see the journalist get punked.

Choice Quotes:
"Writers are loving corny."
"I shouldn’t have been surprised that the guy who, in the face of physical proof, lied about being a former correctional officer, is too delusional to own up to the fact that his upcoming album has no buzz and its singles have barely even registered with the general rap-listening population, and that’s why it’s been pushed back." :'(
"Last summer, I rode around LA in a BMW drinking Cristal in the backseat with my boys, rapping that contentious lyric emphatically. In that context, it’s a fantasy, but as a journalist, I fully expect to have a real conversation about it."
"Journalists aren't your loving friends, and they're not your loving publicists."
"The sad part about it is, I wasn't even looking to attack Ross and gain anything from it. I wish we could've talked more. I looked that man in the eye the entire time I was talking to him. I was an honest human being and all I was looking for was the same in return. I guess that's too much to ask."

gucci bane fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 18, 2014

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

Tremendous Taste posted:

I would say its a huge stretch to call him rap, but his first record is incredible. His singing voice was still intact and his spoken word was very much on point.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Harley C posted:

No he claims he is not.
Yeah, I'm getting old.

Besson posted:

I would say its a huge stretch to call him rap, but his first record is incredible. His singing voice was still intact and his spoken word was very much on point.
The Revolution will not be television compilation album.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Tremendous Taste posted:

Pieces of a Man.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Harley C posted:

No he claims he is not.

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/rick-ross-mastermind-interview-vice

Check out this whingey, highly analytical article about why a journalists interview got shut down. For whoever this guys room mate is tell him he sounds like a child whinging about how he really respects rick ross then about how he just needed to hear him out. Nobody gives a gently caress about the ecstasy lyric anymore, stop. I hope there is video footage of this so we can see the journalist get punked.

Choice Quotes:
"Writers are loving corny."
"I shouldn’t have been surprised that the guy who, in the face of physical proof, lied about being a former correctional officer, is too delusional to own up to the fact that his upcoming album has no buzz and its singles have barely even registered with the general rap-listening population, and that’s why it’s been pushed back." :'(
"Last summer, I rode around LA in a BMW drinking Cristal in the backseat with my boys, rapping that contentious lyric emphatically. In that context, it’s a fantasy, but as a journalist, I fully expect to have a real conversation about it."
"Journalists aren't your loving friends, and they're not your loving publicists."
"The sad part about it is, I wasn't even looking to attack Ross and gain anything from it. I wish we could've talked more. I looked that man in the eye the entire time I was talking to him. I was an honest human being and all I was looking for was the same in return. I guess that's too much to ask."

Lmao what a baby. The only good thing is it linked me to that Carter Documentary. Never seen it and Lil Wayne stuff is interesting to watch because he's so fuckin weird. He's just like Chief Keef.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Besson posted:

I would say its a huge stretch to call him rap

yeah but I figured as someone that's sort of proto-rap it would fit here

quote:

but his first record is incredible. His singing voice was still intact and his spoken word was very much on point.

temple posted:

Yeah, I'm getting old.

The Revolution will not be television compilation album.

HoneyBoy posted:

Pieces of a Man.

thanks

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Cookin Soul has a Gil Scott Heron tape that I haven't listened to yet but its on my things to do.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

RBX posted:

Lmao what a baby. The only good thing is it linked me to that Carter Documentary. Never seen it and Lil Wayne stuff is interesting to watch because he's so fuckin weird. He's just like Chief Keef.

Fwiw I don't see how Wayne is like Keef at all. Assuming the doc you're referencing is the one that eventually Wayne backed out on supporting. I do think it does show what's kinda driven him and kept him making music though. Also his out of control syrup habit but that's hardly new.

And I've said it repeatedly, Vice's rap coverage is horrible. It's the most condescending, patronizing borderline-racist coverage out there.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Tremendous Taste posted:

that asap ferg flow

If we're talking ferg flow we should be talking big moe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-zv_aVFRnE

all i wanna do...is bang screw

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

New Low Pros. Looks like this one is a little more on the A-Trak side of the spectrum, probably because its co produced by Brillz. There's gonna be an ep out this spring is the word.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-bdeImZ1yo

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Here I go getting huffed up and puffed up, annoyed at myself for thinking Oxymoron was out today, and you go and post this.

youngallah
Mar 14, 2012

alansmithee posted:

And I've said it repeatedly, Vice's rap coverage is horrible. It's the most condescending, patronizing borderline-racist coverage out there.

and theyre owned by newscorp

that said, the writer while corny does make a good point

"The facade is dated—honesty is captivating, and a superstar rapper’s inability to be real is why rap journalism is a hosed up game. Journalists aren't your loving friends, and they're not your loving publicists."

of course, the caveat being is that if youre a rap journalist at noisey, youre probably completely meaningless and replaceable by a horde of smarmy internet nerds

youngallah fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 19, 2014

temple
Jul 29, 2006

It's snarky and corny to say but the most surprising thing about that article is that he has an album coming out.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Fresh Prince posted:

New Low Pros. Looks like this one is a little more on the A-Trak side of the spectrum, probably because its co produced by Brillz. There's gonna be an ep out this spring is the word.

This one is downloadable where Jack Tripper wasn't :( I need that track on the go so badly.

vvvv I think that's probably technically :filez: since it's just ripped from the stream

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 19, 2014

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

doctor thodt posted:

This one is downloadable where Jack Tripper wasn't :( I need that track on the go so badly.

edit: I don't want to get in trouble for :filez: but I encourage you to take a look around soundcloud.

Wezlar fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 19, 2014

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I finally got around to checking out DuFlocka Rant 2 and Halftime Show based on recommendations here and drat, Flocka was on point last year. Which of his other tapes stack up to those two?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

doctor thodt posted:

I finally got around to checking out DuFlocka Rant 2 and Halftime Show based on recommendations here and drat, Flocka was on point last year. Which of his other tapes stack up to those two?

Have you ever listened to any of the Lebron Flocka James series? 2 is probably the best. But gently caress yeah. Flockaveli is on point, if you haven't listened yet and was an underrated record all around.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've only heard his albums (Flockavelli is a modern classic) and those 2 tapes. I'll look into that series, thanks!

sixteenstraws
May 7, 2009

slave to a label but I own my masters

doctor thodt posted:

the first duflocka rant is my fav waka tape. salute me or shoot me 4 is good too.

i thought ferrari boyz was kinda disappointing but still really solid

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Ferrari Boys was my album of the year. Ferrari Boyz, Pacman, Suicide Homicide, In My Business were good as gently caress.

kevin mung
Jul 15, 2013

by Shine

Parachute Underwear posted:

Here I go getting huffed up and puffed up, annoyed at myself for thinking Oxymoron was out today, and you go and post this.

Here's a better link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prUcUxF7lHE

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

youngallah posted:

and theyre owned by newscorp

that said, the writer while corny does make a good point

"The facade is dated—honesty is captivating, and a superstar rapper’s inability to be real is why rap journalism is a hosed up game. Journalists aren't your loving friends, and they're not your loving publicists."

of course, the caveat being is that if youre a rap journalist at noisey, youre probably completely meaningless and replaceable by a horde of smarmy internet nerds

The issue with that quote then is why the gently caress should anyone bother to talk to a journalist? And it's not even like they can try to play the getting important information to the people card since it's entertainment. I mean, if I'm rich and famous and some dude isn't my friend, and isn't working for me, why should I give him my time?

Really the only rap "journalists" I pay attention to are Noz and Bol, and that's mostly because what they have to say is often interesting or offers some different perspective about the music.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Heard this song on Dallas radio the other day, I can't help but like it:
https://soundcloud.com/young-r/yo-gotti-yayo-cmg-snootie-feat

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
What's Fredo Santanas best poo poo

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Do Nardwuar and Tim Westwood count as journalists? all I look for in rap journalism is insanely friendly white dudes making people slightly uncomfortable

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
The only hip-hop interviews you should be watching should be Nardwuars

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Can someone please explain young thug to me.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

temple posted:

I was listening to 1017 thug earlier today, and I have never heard a rapper say no homo as many times as young thug.

Edit: also that's not stunna man :colbert:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrZiXajawKg

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 20, 2014

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

temple posted:

He's a worse version of Future who's also gay.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Thug is so reckless, I kinda admire him tho.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Babyface Mingo posted:

The only hip-hop interviews you should be watching should be Nardwuars

His interview with Questlove is amazing because Quest gets really into it and is so happy by the end of it.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:
This Jacksonville poo poo needs to be mixed better but it's kinda tight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OULr3u4Ck98

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

Babyface Mingo posted:

What's Fredo Santanas best poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLVQ_XzlKAc
hands down

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oxymoron has leaked

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

doctor thodt posted:

Oxymoron has leaked
listening to it now. missing the last 3 tracks though

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
50 Cent finally left Interscope and his new album (ANIMAL AMBITION) is coming out in June

hooray i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is a really, really, really great album.

• Locked thread