Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I got my first MVS game ever just now :buddy: go me!

It cost me $15 :c00l:

VVV edit: More cartridges should have been clear :(

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Clear carts are best carts. I miss the 90s.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I didn't understand the "clear plastic" fad back then, that gameboy with visible electronics looked so messy.

Diet Sodium
Apr 29, 2009

Shibawanko posted:

I didn't understand the "clear plastic" fad back then, that gameboy with visible electronics looked so messy.

My atomic purple gameboy would like to have a word with you.

I always loved clear electronics when I was a kid. Being able to see everything on the inside was mind blowing. Of course I didn't know what the hell I was looking at the time and for the most part I still don't now.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shibawanko posted:

For things that customers would actually see back then, the transparentish plastic was both often a bit cheaper to make and kids thought it looked cool. For things a customer wouldn't see, like those arcade packs, it was just down to it often being cheaper to get bulk transparentish plastic versus fully opaque.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The love of clear electronics is still a thing, you can still buy clear controllers for at least XB360 and PS3. And when Nintendo unveiled the guts for for the 3DS XL the general opinion was "can we get that transparent case?" And clear cases live on with computer towers were people love watching all their fancy expensive hardware light up.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

There needs to be less clear plastic and more wood paneling in my entertainment electronics :colbert:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Back then? Writing has always been low on the priority list for game developers.

Games are really terrible as a narrative medium. The player is creating their own narrative on the structure and trying to impose one upon that from above has pretty bad results. It doesn't help that most game creators don't have a story worth telling anyway. The most interesting stuff that's happening are people who realize this and have stopped making games and instead work with interactive narratives (which people who don't understand what a game is call "games").

The other thing is that nerds have really bad taste in writing and tend to call anything where they like the concept "well-written" but it's own rant.
Funnily enough I'm working on a research proposal for this, but nobody's studying it. Which I find baffling, that nobody's really approaching the unique narrative opportunities games are capable of.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

SUPER HASSLER posted:

There needs to be less clear plastic and more wood paneling in my entertainment electronics :colbert:

My Sears Telegames Atari 2600 agrees with you completely man. I mean if freaking high end cars still get wood paneling/real wood in the dash why can't they throw a little few inch x few inch piece in...a gameboy or a gamecube to make it look pimp as all gently caress.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I won't argue that everything looks better in wood.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Funnily enough I'm working on a research proposal for this, but nobody's studying it. Which I find baffling, that nobody's really approaching the unique narrative opportunities games are capable of.

Comic books in America had the similar growing pains while Japan consistently pumps out manga in every imaginable genre to every imaginable audience and Europe treats it as high art. I cringe every time I see an article with a title like "COMICS AREN'T FOR KIDS ANYMORE" because in America it has obtained the negative reputation of being cheaply produced, poorly written stories on crappy paper with garish art and that opinion was fueled by decades of the people up top wanting it to be that way. I mean, if you want a good story read a loving book or watch a movie, comics are just to keep the kids quiet for 5 minutes right?

Good luck with the research. Video games are the #1 entertainment medium in America in terms of market saturation. It arguably has the lowest barrier of entry and highest market visibility for content creators. It's a field worthy of study and respect, we just need more people seriously studying it instead of dismissing it as cheap entertainment.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 18, 2014

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Hey guys, so I just moved out of my apartment and into my girlfriend's house. Right now, I've got all of my games and stuff packed away in boxes in the garage. Now, I'm gonna try and keep my stuff organized for once, instead of having it in disparate piles all over the place. I want to invest in some shelving but I'm not sure what to get. My problem is I like the odd-shaped and awkward stuff like 3DO and Saturn/Sega CD/early PS1 and I always have either too much or too little room when I put them on the shelving I have around. Has anyone found something that works really well for that kind of stuff? Any suggestions?

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I recommend watching the behind the scenes film of The Last Of Us. It's free on Amazon instant right now. http://www.amazon.com/Grounded-Maki...+the+last+of+us

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I ended up doing an impromptu longplay of Metroid last night while I was testing my streaming setup. I had an old Justin.TV account that I couldn't convert over to Twitch, so I used that and then ended up exporting the whole video and putting it on YouTube.

In case you are down to see some random goony goon throw down on some Metroid, here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li23ptzuGCI

Note: I don't think I had played through the entirety of NES Metroid in at least a decade, and certainly not without some kind of map/guide. I did this one off of memory, which meant I was EXTREMELY CLUNKY in Norfair and Kraid's Lair.

Feel free to jump to the 30-minute mark to get right into the run (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li23ptzuGCI&t=1808s), whereas the stuff before it is basically me poking around a bunch of different games while my buddy fired off titles he wanted to see me burn through. Naturally, Metroid stuck.

Sorry if my conversation sounds disjointed -- was reading off of a chatlog, as most of you could have figured out.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

FrumpleOrz posted:

Hey guys, so I just moved out of my apartment and into my girlfriend's house. Right now, I've got all of my games and stuff packed away in boxes in the garage. Now, I'm gonna try and keep my stuff organized for once, instead of having it in disparate piles all over the place. I want to invest in some shelving but I'm not sure what to get. My problem is I like the odd-shaped and awkward stuff like 3DO and Saturn/Sega CD/early PS1 and I always have either too much or too little room when I put them on the shelving I have around. Has anyone found something that works really well for that kind of stuff? Any suggestions?

Apparently 90% of all game consoles are currently stores in some variant of the Expedite shelf from Ikea.

I don't actually know if it's particularly good. That's just the trend I've seen.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

McCracAttack posted:

Apparently 90% of all game consoles are currently stores in some variant of the Expedite shelf from Ikea.

I don't actually know if it's particularly good. That's just the trend I've seen.

I'm using BESTÅs. :colbert:

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

al-azad posted:

The love of clear electronics is still a thing, you can still buy clear controllers for at least XB360 and PS3. And when Nintendo unveiled the guts for for the 3DS XL the general opinion was "can we get that transparent case?" And clear cases live on with computer towers were people love watching all their fancy expensive hardware light up.

Yeah but they're not offered as an option except with weird 3rd party controllers.

I grew up in a house that unironically used this phone:

And I had the clear Play it Loud GB, and that one clear rapid-fire SNES controller. Clear stuff rocked when I was little. I wouldn't opt for it now, but I still like it better than the glossy iPod White fad of the mid-2000s where everything looked cheap and scratched a zeptosecond after you take it out of the packaging.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

McCracAttack posted:

Ah, sorry if I wasn't clear, I was looking for shelving for the game cases themselves. The 3DO long boxes are just this awkward dumb shape that don't really fit on anything and the old-school long box CD casing that Sega CD and the like used are taller than everything else is nowadays. That shelf does look kinda handy though. I wish there was an Ikea in town so I could check it out in person.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

For my amusement I'm trying to document games that debuted certain features. Anyone want to hazard a guess as to the first game with rechargeable shields/health that wasn't a vehicle based game? Halo kind of made it popular but Syndicate Wars was the first game I remember seeing with regenerating health and personal shields.

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

Hydlide had regenerating health a pretty long time ago.

Erluk
Nov 11, 2007

"If you can't beat 'em, STRANGLE 'EM"

al-azad posted:

For my amusement I'm trying to document games that debuted certain features. Anyone want to hazard a guess as to the first game with rechargeable shields/health that wasn't a vehicle based game? Halo kind of made it popular but Syndicate Wars was the first game I remember seeing with regenerating health and personal shields.

Giant Bomb's wiki has two separate pages, one for health and one for shields:

http://www.giantbomb.com/shield-regeneration/3015-2349/

http://www.giantbomb.com/regenerating-health/3015-83/

According to that the first game with regenerating health is "punch-out!".

Erluk fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 19, 2014

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
So the Secret Santa package I sent Heran Bago finally came back to me today!

My plans are to keep it because
1. I gave Heran the cashmonies value of the items a while ago since it looked like customs was loving us
2. Getting a package to Germany is infinitely harder than it should be
3. It has Mr. Mosquito in it.

Heran, let me know if you want me to do a fake unboxing so that you can feel like you opened something on giftmas. Sorry that customs ruined everything.

Conversely let me know if you want me to try and send it again in exchange for the money I gave you.

Edit: I hate to be "that guy" but I'm probably going to opt to not ship internationally next gift exchange. Maybe we should do 2 separate gift exchanges, one for :911: and one for the rest. I know midge doesn't like organizing these anymore so I'd be happy to organize one of them if we decide to split them up.

Null of Undefined fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 19, 2014

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Peenmaster posted:

Edit: I hate to be "that guy" but I'm probably going to opt to not ship internationally next gift exchange. Maybe we should do 2 separate gift exchanges, one for :911: and one for the rest. I know midge doesn't like organizing these anymore so I'd be happy to organize one of them if we decide to split them up.

That would be a problem, since the same 5 goons have already passed gifts to each other in previous ones. There just isn't enough international goons to make it worthwhile doing a separate one, believe me, I considered it.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

midge posted:

That would be a problem, since the same 5 goons have already passed gifts to each other in previous ones. There just isn't enough international goons to make it worthwhile doing a separate one, believe me, I considered it.

Oh lame. I guess it's hard to get much of the the rest of the world in an English speaking forum.

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

Because there's always an ending.
I slightly missed the window of talking about diamond in the rough adventure games but this came today:

It is in such nice condition holy moly I am SO excited! To be able to hold my video game holy grail in my hands is an awesome feeling and exactly why I collect retro games :3:

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Awesomonster posted:

I slightly missed the window of talking about diamond in the rough adventure games but this came today:

It is in such nice condition holy moly I am SO excited! To be able to hold my video game holy grail in my hands is an awesome feeling and exactly why I collect retro games :3:

Okay, so what the hell is this game? The cover art and title have me really interested.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

FrumpleOrz posted:

Ah, sorry if I wasn't clear, I was looking for shelving for the game cases themselves. The 3DO long boxes are just this awkward dumb shape that don't really fit on anything and the old-school long box CD casing that Sega CD and the like used are taller than everything else is nowadays. That shelf does look kinda handy though. I wish there was an Ikea in town so I could check it out in person.

Printing your 3DO and Sega CD games onto DVD cases is always an option http://www.thecoverproject.net/

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I hate whoever decided on that plastic for Sega CD and Saturn long plastic boxes.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

al-azad posted:

Syndicate Wars

You motherfucker. :argh: Now the trailer music is stuck in my head and I'm scouring eBay for the PS1 version.

"More fun than sex", indeed.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Printing your 3DO and Sega CD games onto DVD cases is always an option http://www.thecoverproject.net/

I wish I could live with that. Unfortunately, I've become the crazy collector who has to have everything that came with it and I get stupid enjoyment out of seeing the collection on the shelves.

Install Windows posted:

I hate whoever decided on that plastic for Sega CD and Saturn long plastic boxes.

Yeah, it's like they picked the most brittle stuff in the world. It's still better than some of the 3DO boxes though, that are just the thin cardboard with a jewel case in them. They crush so easily!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL Dreamcast cases are the bane of my existence.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

PAL Dreamcast cases are the bane of my existence.

You take that back! PAL Dreamcast cases are phat blue motherfuckers of awesome! Well except for all the fragile bits, dammit if I don't love them anyway.

edit: If you want a great way to store PAL DC cases, hunt through eBay and the like for these little beauties.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 19, 2014

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Lord Dudeguy posted:

You motherfucker. :argh: Now the trailer music is stuck in my head and I'm scouring eBay for the PS1 version.

"More fun than sex", indeed.
Just throwing it out there, it's on Gog and it's kinda suited to PC controls: http://www.gog.com/game/syndicate_wars

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

Because there's always an ending.

FrumpleOrz posted:

Okay, so what the hell is this game? The cover art and title have me really interested.

Callahan's Crosstime Saloon is an adventure game made by Legend based on a series of sci-fi books by Spider Robinson. Its some of the most heartwarming sci-fi I've ever read and it translated really well to a video game, especially since it was in the hands of Josh Mandel. You play a super beardy folk singer named Jake Stonebender (who is also the main character of the books). The main sort of hub of the game is the titular bar, but there are several stories that take you all over the place. Some examples of the people you help are a time traveller, a talking dog, and a vampire. Its a weird game but it all somehow works really well and doesn't feel incongruous at all.

Also a word of warning, it starts out with a word puzzle in the form of a bar game, so if you're not really into word puzzles (and puns) it might not be for you because there are a couple (I found them very clever and fun and not frustrating at all if that helps), but if any of this sounds at all appealing to you, I highly recommend tracking it down. I don't know if telling you where would be considered :filez:, but a hard copy is pretty hard to get ahold of which is why a boxed version was my holy grail and Spider Robinson's website itself links to a couple download options. For a long time, the version you could find online didn't have the movies, music, or sound effects, but I've heard there's an iso of the cd floating around out there now, though I'm not entirely sure where you'd find that.

I could go on but I think I've rambled enough. I love this game, everyone play it, its a great game.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FrumpleOrz posted:

Yeah, it's like they picked the most brittle stuff in the world. It's still better than some of the 3DO boxes though, that are just the thin cardboard with a jewel case in them. They crush so easily!

Crushed cardboard can be pressed back into shape, that drat plastic on the other hand...

Plus the real problem with 3DO boxes is they contained 3DO games. :rimshot:

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Install Windows posted:

Crushed cardboard can be pressed back into shape, that drat plastic on the other hand...
Plus the real problem with 3DO boxes is they contained 3DO games. :rimshot:

Aww! But I love my 3DO! It's got a bunch of my favorite games. :smith:

Heh, I get it though. Sometimes I feel like I'm trying to convince the world that my retarded little brother is actually way smarter than he looks when I defend the 3DO. I love it to death but I get why most people give me the funny looks.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
It's not really the 3DO's fault that it and all the other early CD systems got loaded up with crappy FMV games and mediocre normal games that had FMV shoved in. But it definitely means there's a lot of crap to filter through.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Hey, at least we got Wing Commander III out of that FMV phase. I threw that one in a few weeks ago and I was shocked by how well that stands up to this day still. Actual recognizable actors like Mark Hamill and Malcolm McDowell and the Kilrathi being designed by the Henson Creature Shop make the production values awesome.

We CAN blame the 3DO for the existence of garbage like Plumbers Don't Wear Ties and Cyberdillo though. Those are both the two biggest wastes of money I have in my collection. Ugh.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

I ended up doing an impromptu longplay of Metroid last night while I was testing my streaming setup. I had an old Justin.TV account that I couldn't convert over to Twitch, so I used that and then ended up exporting the whole video and putting it on YouTube.

In case you are down to see some random goony goon throw down on some Metroid, here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li23ptzuGCI

Note: I don't think I had played through the entirety of NES Metroid in at least a decade, and certainly not without some kind of map/guide. I did this one off of memory, which meant I was EXTREMELY CLUNKY in Norfair and Kraid's Lair.

Feel free to jump to the 30-minute mark to get right into the run (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li23ptzuGCI&t=1808s), whereas the stuff before it is basically me poking around a bunch of different games while my buddy fired off titles he wanted to see me burn through. Naturally, Metroid stuck.

Sorry if my conversation sounds disjointed -- was reading off of a chatlog, as most of you could have figured out.

1. It was cool seeing what you sound and look like.
2. Princess Tomato rules.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FrumpleOrz posted:

Hey, at least we got Wing Commander III out of that FMV phase. I threw that one in a few weeks ago and I was shocked by how well that stands up to this day still. Actual recognizable actors like Mark Hamill and Malcolm McDowell and the Kilrathi being designed by the Henson Creature Shop make the production values awesome.

We CAN blame the 3DO for the existence of garbage like Plumbers Don't Wear Ties and Cyberdillo though. Those are both the two biggest wastes of money I have in my collection. Ugh.

Plumbers Don't Wear Ties makes every other FMV game look great though, by the mere fact that they have actual full motion in their videos. When you own it, you know every other game you own in general is better than it. It's like being in a severe car accident you just manage to survive, knowing you'll never have that bad a day again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

FrumpleOrz posted:

On the other hand, that directly led to Chris Roberts thinking he was capable of directing a feature film.

Okay, now I'm trying to think of... let's call them "unique" FMV gaming experiences. Psychic Detective stands out because it's got really funky gameplay where you're a body hopping detective who has to solve a mystery in real time by jumping from person to person and riding along in their head. Night Trap is worth mentioning just because it's so infamous. I just came across my copy of Frankenstein: Through the Eyes of the Monster the other day and I thought about popping it in for Tim Curry...

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 19, 2014

• Locked thread