Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Pretty cool that the Dark Yogi outfit has added what looks to be a very attainable OGL Edition stretch goal in their most recent update announcing a heap of them in general given their current funding pace---surely some folks can get up to some fine tinkering with such an elaborate and underused backdrop.

Esteren will never cease to amaze me at what a freight train they are in terms of knocking out polished Kickstarters in this ridiculous streak with seemingly no end in sight---I don't know of any other one doing comparable outside of maybe something minis focused?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

outlier posted:

Looks interesting but without the cards and the map, can you use the PDF for anything, or is it just a rulebook?

From the description on the PDF pledge level there's cards you can print, so I assume you'd probably have a map you can print as well...?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

This looks interesting: Saving Throw is planning to be a web series focused on how to play RPGs in the same way Tabletop shows off board games.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Evil Mastermind posted:

in the same way Tabletop shows off board games.

So...incorrectly?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Does Tabletop not play games correctly? I don't watch it because it'll just make me want to buy board games I'll never play because my friends aren't into board games.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Does Tabletop not play games correctly? I don't watch it because it'll just make me want to buy board games I'll never play because my friends aren't into board games.

By most accounts, no, they don't. Personally I don't watch them because they mostly focus on the sort of basic, casual-friendly boardgames that bore me to tears. Which is fine. Their mission statement is to get people into boardgaming and that mission was accomplished for me 15+ years ago, so I'm not exactly their target audience.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Well Minion games is the gift that keeps on giving. I got my second Space Coins collectors set in the mail today...and it was missing 3 2 of the coins. I can't wait for them to try to tell me "oh it's not cost effective for us to send them out to you, but if you order something else from our store we can put them in with that order". I'm starting to think I should have taken the refund and cut my losses.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 17, 2014

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

jivjov posted:

Well Minion games is the gift that keeps on giving. I got my second Space Coins collectors set in the mail today...and it was missing 3 of the coins. I can't wait for them to try to tell me "oh it's not cost effective for us to send them out to you, but if you order something else from our store we can put them in with that order". I'm starting to think I should have taken the refund and cut my losses.

Tell them that being inept isn't cost effective and that they should try some quality control when it comes to counting.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

GrandpaPants posted:

So...incorrectly?

The goal here is to be as much instruction video as entertainment, so they'll be doing videos where they (for example) explain rules and walk you through the process with accompanying graphics for visual learners. It's a rather neat idea.

Evil Mastermind posted:

This looks interesting: Saving Throw is planning to be a web series focused on how to play RPGs in the same way Tabletop shows off board games.

I had some serious reservations about their Kickstarter - mostly about the incongruity of their stated thesis (introducing RPGs to an audience that finds them arcane and intimidating) and their intended focus (Pathfinder, the intimidatingly large game full of arcane rules). It's a poor choice for ambassadorship not just because of rules quality, but because people have had 40 years now where they've decided not to play D&D or Literally D&D With Some Words Replaced. I thought it was a shame since the hosts seemed fairly likable and a video series with good production values would be awesome as a way to teach players new games.
However, the folks behind the Kickstarter reached out to me and we talked for a while. I'm more positive about the project now. Not only were they polite and patient, they engaged in actual discussion about nerd stuff. It was cool. They plan to cover more than just Pathfinder during the first season and I'm interested to see what kind of games they cover.

Gnome and I decided to back them at the $500 level so they'll be playing Inverse World at some point.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Mikan posted:

I had some serious reservations about their Kickstarter - mostly about the incongruity of their stated thesis (introducing RPGs to an audience that finds them arcane and intimidating) and their intended focus (Pathfinder, the intimidatingly large game full of arcane rules). It's a poor choice for ambassadorship not just because of rules quality, but because people have had 40 years now where they've decided not to play D&D or Literally D&D With Some Words Replaced. I thought it was a shame since the hosts seemed fairly likable and a video series with good production values would be awesome as a way to teach players new games.
However, the folks behind the Kickstarter reached out to me and we talked for a while. I'm more positive about the project now. Not only were they polite and patient, they engaged in actual discussion about nerd stuff. It was cool. They plan to cover more than just Pathfinder during the first season and I'm interested to see what kind of games they cover.

Gnome and I decided to back them at the $500 level so they'll be playing Inverse World at some point.
That's good to know. The Pathfinder focus was giving me the, "Oh great another fanwank for Pathfinder" vibe.

Captain Hats
Jan 6, 2009

ELF
Something I haven't seen mentioned here is Province. It's a two player worker placement microgame. I'm in mostly because I'm intrigued by the minimalist design. Also they're not exceeding their reach with stretch goals. Also it's dirt cheap, even with international shipping.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

dwarf74 posted:

That's good to know. The Pathfinder focus was giving me the, "Oh great another fanwank for Pathfinder" vibe.

I figured it either had to be that or angling for sponsorship, but after talking to them it sounds more like they want to hit the ground running with a popular RPG people are already likely to know about, and they'll go from there into other games.
It's still not my first choice (far from it) but I get where they're coming from, at least.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Captain Hats posted:

Something I haven't seen mentioned here is Province. It's a two player worker placement microgame. I'm in mostly because I'm intrigued by the minimalist design. Also they're not exceeding their reach with stretch goals. Also it's dirt cheap, even with international shipping.

I'm probably going to ding my account for two copies. One for me and one for a gift. I figure that if the quality blows I can give both copies away.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

PST posted:

The latest Delta Green short story collection is up on kickstarter and already hit the initial funding goal:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arcdream/delta-green-tales-from-failed-anatomies

They've gone with ebooks at $10/15 (15 to get the stretch goal stories), with the option to buy POD copies via Drivethru.

They've also added a $30 option that gives you access to the new Delta Green rulebook Alpha playtesting when it starts sometime this spring (though it is DG so i'm figuring summer). Normally the idea of paying to test something sees me run a mile, but DG is in a very small list of 'just take my money' products and designers.

Gonna bump this one, since a story by yours truly is now a stretch goal for this Kickstarter!

So yeah, help make it happen!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So Minion Games is full of even more vitriol than I could have imagined...I posted a public comment stating my displeasure with how fulfillment had been handled and the like, and they responded with the following:

Minion Games posted:

Jason, there are no 100,000 to send. We lost money on your order twice and offered a refund and you still find the need to come here and bitch and even complain about spelling. There are very few collectors sets and so we cannot send you more as they are going to other orders.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Now that's professionalism right there

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
Holy poo poo.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Clearly, they're melting them down for coffin nails.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I love that "We already lost money on your order twice!" is apparently my fault

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
"We didn't anticipate the vagaries of shipping, so we didn't make extras," was good, but that definitely took the cake.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bieeardo posted:

"We didn't anticipate the vagaries of shipping, so we didn't make extras," was good, but that definitely took the cake.

My question becomes "Why is this the only coin you've run out of?", followed shortly by "Why didn't you just pack my orders at the same time to avoid all this?"

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

jivjov posted:

My question becomes "Why is this the only coin you've run out of?", followed shortly by "Why didn't you just pack my orders at the same time to avoid all this?"

"Why did you have to give us so much money you rear end in a top hat?"

They really need to make sure people who set up kickstarters know about things like shipping fees and IP law.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
The crazy part is that he could have said the exact same thing

quote:

Jason, I apologize, but we are currently out of that denomination. Minion Games appreciates your concern and are doing our very best to fulfill the Kickstarter orders, but will be unable to send out the number of collector's sets previous promised. We can certainly offer you a refund for your trouble.

and not been a complete and utter douchebag.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Gau posted:

Its insane. The last update to the project says "Pretty much everything has been shipped, but we're waiting on tracking numbers and stuff. Don't e-mail us asking about them. Having backers nagging us just slows things down."

They literally told backers "Stop nagging us" about shipments that should have gone out months ago.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
TG Kickstarters are the best. Are other KS categories run so unprofessionally? I have only backed games and comic books, so I don't generally know.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

jivjov posted:

Its insane. The last update to the project says "Pretty much everything has been shipped, but we're waiting on tracking numbers and stuff. Don't e-mail us asking about them. Having backers nagging us just slows things down."

They literally told backers "Stop nagging us" about shipments that should have gone out months ago.

That's the exact email that got me to stop buying from Battlefoam and to encourage others not to.

PS Don't buy from Battlefoam.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Speaking of unprofessional, I'm Kickstarting a list!

100 Deluxe Dungeons

quote:

100 Dungeons, 100 Pages. An upgrade to our hit list, 100 Dungeons, with expanded descriptions, art, and maps. This project will create a book of 100 fantastic dungeons, complete with art and maps, for use in fantasy gaming.

Featuring words by Andri Erlingsson , pictures by Justin Gardener , and maps byGill Pearce , and you can get it in pdf, print, or pay me off and you’ll never see another of our lists for a year or more!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Gau posted:

I dunno, jivjov was kind of dickish, too. It's not BackerKit levels of being-a-bad-customer, but...

quote:

Making a public comment here to register my disappointment with the fulfillment aspect of this campaign...
I originally pledged for 2 of the one-of-each-coin Collector Sets. The package I got in the mail from Minion contained only one of these sets. When I originally messaged to ask about this, I was told "oh, we're loosing (their misspelling, not mine) too much money on the sets. We can just refund you for the second one." Well, my questions are these: if the collector sets are losing (or should that be 'loosing'?) you so much money, why were they offered at all? And wouldn't quality-checking shipments before they get sent cost less in the long run than having to re-fulfill orders? Anyway, I replied and said I wanted to receive the item
I pledged for, not a refund. I got no reply, and no refund. I was about to contact Kickstarter about it, but today, unannounced, another envelope from Minion arrived. This contained most of a collectors' set, missing the 2 and the 100,000 coins. Upon contacting Minion AGAIN, I was told that a note had been included with my order explaining the situation, and bonus 1 coins were in the order as compensation. Neither of those things were in my envelope. I again ask, wouldn't quality checking the shipments before sending them out to backers save a lot of headache, bad word of mouth, and money in the long run?
I pledged at the simplest tier. I wanted a couple baggies of doodads to fiddle around with. Instead I got headache and poorly spelled and borderline rude "customer service" from Minion. I eagerly await a 3rd envelope in the mail, containing a single 2 and a single 100,000 denomination coin, at which point I can wash my hands of Minion.
Couldn't you have just left the bit about spelling out and still gotten your point across? Just a simple but firm notice without the snark? Just because you're in the right here - and you absolutely are - doesn't mean you need to be an rear end in a top hat about it.

I think the dudes running that kickstarter are doing an awful and unprofessional job of it, but I also remember BackerKitGate, so...

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

Dagon posted:

100 Deluxe Dungeons

Why, yes, I do want to give goons money!

Also, it makes me backer number 2, which fills me with a weird sort of glee.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Eh, the tone of the PMs I had been getting from Minion were pretty dickish, so I decided to snark in kind.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Dagon posted:

100 Deluxe Dungeons
Hell yeah, that looks awesome. I can always use more dungeon maps.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Dagon posted:

100 Deluxe Dungeons

Backed so hard you have no idea. I hope I pledged the right amount. :ohdear:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Indolent Bastard posted:

TG Kickstarters are the best. Are other KS categories run so unprofessionally? I have only backed games and comic books, so I don't generally know.

Democracy: Majority Rules by Mark Rein-Hagen. In one of his recent updates--an update that finally came after months of nothing--he tells us to "calm the gently caress down" (and not even answering anything).

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Indolent Bastard posted:

Videogames tend to have a lot of people who have even less idea what they're getting into.

MMOs with shoestring budgets that probably wouldn't pay for hosting let alone development are a favorite.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Indolent Bastard posted:

Video game kickstarters suffer from exactly the same kind of fanboyism and hilariously demanding backers that studio-funded games do. Between that and a small army of new devs promising the moon, famous old names pretending that they still have 'it', and nobody involved realizing just how long it's really going to take to squeeze something out, it's a regular circus.

I mean, good god. One outfit's backers went absolutely bugfuck when they didn't hire out of their eager slurry of fanboys for a PR flack, and instead hired a woman who didn't even play that kind of game.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Dagon posted:

100 Deluxe Dungeons

It will be paid for by that sweet sweet list money!

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Bieeardo posted:

Video game kickstarters suffer from exactly the same kind of fanboyism and hilariously demanding backers that studio-funded games do. Between that and a small army of new devs promising the moon, famous old names pretending that they still have 'it', and nobody involved realizing just how long it's really going to take to squeeze something out, it's a regular circus.

I mean, good god. One outfit's backers went absolutely bugfuck when they didn't hire out of their eager slurry of fanboys for a PR flack, and instead hired a woman who didn't even play that kind of game.

I'm reminded of Torment: Tides of Numenara, when a buddy suggested on their public feedback site that they not necessarily make the protagonist a white, hetero male. People went apeshit, saying that the game would be creatively bankrupt if they put any sort of minority as the main character.

The devs were pretty cool about it, though.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Dagon posted:

100 Deluxe Dungeons

I love the $5000 level, but not enough to back it.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

homullus posted:

I love the $5000 level, but not enough to back it.

There are some people out there that really hate lists, so I'm fishing for one of them with more money than sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I really gotta ask: why didn't you just incorporate shipping costs into the pledges? Am I really supposed to pledge $15.76 for the $12 reward? Why not just make it a $16 pledge level?

• Locked thread