Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thank God I never alluded to anything like that then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I was just having fun, but "anything... in this country that's worth talking about" could be construed as something like that.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
We don't have anyone half as competent as Colbert/Stewart so there's no point trying to mimic their shows.

Brooker is good but he isn't good enough to carry a show like that.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
We have satirical panel shows for that. Especially when radio gets involved too, there's pretty much always either The Now Show or The News Quiz at any one point.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

WastedJoker posted:

We don't have anyone half as competent as Colbert/Stewart so there's no point trying to mimic their shows.

The reason that a UK version of their stuff wouldn't work is that we don't have the type of "news" programme that they are parodying. You may as well complain that the US doesn't have anyone competent enough to run a local equivalent to Private Eye, which is a more legitimate gripe.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

ookiimarukochan posted:

The reason that a UK version of their stuff wouldn't work is that we don't have the type of "news" programme that they are parodying. You may as well complain that the US doesn't have anyone competent enough to run a local equivalent to Private Eye, which is a more legitimate gripe.

Did you mean Brass Eye?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Am I alone in thinking that panel shows are a load of poo poo? Even HIGNFY which I'm guessing was probably the genesis of the format has been circling the drain for several years. I guess its probably cheap as chips to hire a handful of nomark comedians for an episode and get a host and a have a clips round and all that bollocks, but it is hardly cutting edge satire.

It fills me with dismay that there is nothing on currently that is the equivalent to Bremner Bird and Fortune, or The Friday Night Armistice. 10 o'clock live was a decent stab at doing topical satire but it just fell on its arse with weak jokes and seemed more afraid of discussing serious issues than The One Show.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

keep punching joe posted:

Am I alone in thinking that panel shows are a load of poo poo? Even HIGNFY which I'm guessing was probably the genesis of the format has been circling the drain for several years. I guess its probably cheap as chips to hire a handful of nomark comedians for an episode and get a host and a have a clips round and all that bollocks, but it is hardly cutting edge satire.

It fills me with dismay that there is nothing on currently that is the equivalent to Bremner Bird and Fortune, or The Friday Night Armistice. 10 o'clock live was a decent stab at doing topical satire but it just fell on its arse with weak jokes and seemed more afraid of discussing serious issues than The One Show.

Nope, they're all really bad. And what are you talking about, BBC3 has given us The Revolution Will be Televised, a worthy epitaph for satire.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 18, 2014

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
There's rare exceptions, but HIGNFY has been almost completely pants since Angus Deayton left.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Nope, they're all really bad. And what are you talking about, BBC3 has given us The Revolution Will be Televised, a worthy epitaph for satire.

Every time that program is mentioned, I really want to hit something or someone. It just makes me angry.

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly

ookiimarukochan posted:

The Onions pretty good and I think it is physically printed in some parts of America.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'm a little amazed that there's no Spitting Image clone taking the piss out of the current crop of politicians, on either side of the bipartisan divide. Ed Milliband reminds me of a schoolboy from an Enid Blyton novel and David Cameron is a lizard.

Was there ever any upshot to the Leveson press enquiry, or was the conclusion that whole bit where Cameron stepped in and basically said they would be ignoring the results?

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
:dance: about Uncle's renewal. If it's not due back for a year or so, it will be amazing/amusing to see how much Errol has grown.

That said, I completely lost count of the episodes, and turns out what I thought was episode 6 was episode 5. Yay! Off to iPlayer now.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Can you view BBC regions on iplayer?

If you can, I suggest you all watch BBC1 Scotland's "The Street".

It makes Benefits Street look like Downing Street.

Here's a guy being racist and him and his mate attacking a busker.
http://youtu.be/xkaa3FO4KAw

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Shout out to the camera-man on the One Show who tracked down from a suburban house to the mud of the garden, a shot that seems to mimic Blue Velvet.

madey posted:

The Onions pretty good and I think it is physically printed in some parts of America.

Only half of the Eye is satire, the rest of it is gossip and investigative journalism.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Was there ever any upshot to the Leveson press enquiry, or was the conclusion that whole bit where Cameron stepped in and basically said they would be ignoring the results?

They're still bickering over how to implement what, but don't hold your breath.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'm a little amazed that there's no Spitting Image clone taking the piss out of the current crop of politicians, on either side of the bipartisan divide. Ed Milliband reminds me of a schoolboy from an Enid Blyton novel and David Cameron is a lizard.

The problem is that the vast majority of politicians these days have no discernible personality or difference in policy to satirise. David Cameron looking like an inflated condom and Ed Milliband looking like Wallace only gets you so far when the poo poo that comes out of their mouths is straight from the same focus groups.

twoot fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 18, 2014

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Everybody should be watching BBC4s' Dissected. Two nice doctors at Glasgow university are peeling apart a human arm and hand, layer by layer, with running commentary by a cheerful biologist. Informative, yet disgusting, like all the best science documentaries.

They're currently playing with the exposed tendons to make the corpsey fingers wiggle. :unsmigghh:

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Irisi posted:

Everybody should be watching BBC4s' Dissected. Two nice doctors at Glasgow university are peeling apart a human arm and hand, layer by layer, with running commentary by a cheerful biologist. Informative, yet disgusting, like all the best science documentaries.

They're currently playing with the exposed tendons to make the corpsey fingers wiggle. :unsmigghh:

Aw gently caress! Now I'm trying to remember the name of the crazy but amazing German doctor from the C4 live dissection.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Ratjaculation posted:

Aw gently caress! Now I'm trying to remember the name of the crazy but amazing German doctor from the C4 live dissection.

Doktor Gunther von Hagens. He invented that technique of plastic-fying corpses and putting them on display, and looks a bit like he sewed himself together out of the bits left over.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Irisi posted:

Doktor Gunther von Hagens. He invented that technique of plastic-fying corpses and putting them on display, and looks a bit like he sewed himself together out of the bits left over.

That's the guy!

Sure plasticfying corpses isn't as popular as hiking, but it sounds like a healthy hobby.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
The latest episode of Number 9, simply wow.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

keep punching joe posted:

Would I Lie To You? is great.

I'm not a fan of Lee Mack's programmes or stand-up at all, but he's amazing on WILTY and has great chemistry with Brydon and Mitchell.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!

Quanta posted:

Would I Lie To You? is great.

I'm not a fan of Lee Mack's programmes or stand-up at all, but he's amazing on WILTY and has great chemistry with Brydon and Mitchell.

Chiming in to agree with this. Not a huge fan of Mack, nor many other panel shows, but the relationship between Brydon, Mack, and Mitchell is very honest and very enjoyable. Every now and again one of them will let slip that they've spent some time together outside of filming the show and it just melts my heart. Even when the line up is bad it's still really good. Plus it bought Kevin Bridges' amazing horse saga into the world.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I don't think panel shows are inherently bad, I'm just loving sick of seeing the same people on them over and over again.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
Maybe it's one of those things you have to watch a lot to really get into but I always thought The Daily Show was quite smug and not very funny.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Al2001 posted:

Maybe it's one of those things you have to watch a lot to really get into but I always thought The Daily Show was quite smug and not very funny.

It's ok. I think the opening news roundup style bit is often fairly funny. Just turn off when the interview part of the show starts.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Al2001 posted:

Add lazy to that list. It's just a lot of gurning.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Radio is where all the good stuff is for topical news. The Now Show and The News Quiz are both pretty great, but I can't imagine they would be anything but terrible if you tried to do them on TV.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

Bown posted:

Just remembered Inside No. 9 exists and caught the second episode. God drat, this show is great. One of the best things on British screens in a long while.

The second one was brilliant. I haven't enjoyed an episode of TV as much as that for ages.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

Haggis Heed posted:

Can you view BBC regions on iplayer?

If you can, I suggest you all watch BBC1 Scotland's "The Street".

It makes Benefits Street look like Downing Street.

Here's a guy being racist and him and his mate attacking a busker.
http://youtu.be/xkaa3FO4KAw

:scotland:

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Captain Mediocre posted:

Radio is where all the good stuff is for topical news. The Now Show and The News Quiz are both pretty great, but I can't imagine they would be anything but terrible if you tried to do them on TV.
They tried doing The News Quiz on TV, it's called "Have I Got News For You"

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

ookiimarukochan posted:

They tried doing The News Quiz on TV, it's called "Have I Got News For You"

My point still stands.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Add lazy to that list. It's just a lot of gurning.

People think The Daily Show is great because they only watch 'best of' moments on youtube or something.
But if you really try to watch it daily it gets tedious and repetitive fast.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

WastedJoker posted:

Brooker is good but he isn't good enough to carry a show like that.

I think the main problem is that for whatever reason, there doesn't seem to be anyone in this country who's willing to go on tv and completely peg it to polititians and call them right out on their bullshit in the same way that Stewart does. HIGNFY and 10 O'Clock Live are kind of good starts I guess, but they tend to both really pull back from the punches and settle for easy digs that they know won't get them in trouble. I am aware that the BBC are rightfully nervous about the government having the power to cut their funding if they get too close to the bone, but it's still disheartening to know that they'll never be back to "we might appear biased in our treatment of these heartless, scheming bastards" levels of satire.

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Feb 19, 2014

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

mrfart posted:

People think The Daily Show is great because they only watch 'best of' moments on youtube or something.
But if you really try to watch it daily it gets tedious and repetitive fast.

It's fine but very uneven. There are some great contributors who produce great segments. The interviews are almost always terrible though.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Apropos of news-satire chat, for anyone that's interested, some kindly soul has put the ENTIRE run of Friday/Saturday night Armistice, as far as I can discern, on youtube. Shouldn't be :filez: as I don't imagine they are commercially available anywhere. Observations: they hold up pretty drat well though the pacing is a little generous at times, the deadpan delivery is great, the presenters really do seem to know UK politics of the time inside out, and it's nearly 20 goddamn years old :cry:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

WeAreTheRomans posted:

There's rare exceptions, but HIGNFY has been almost completely pants since Angus Deayton left.

As a point of interest Deayton is currently doing a fantastic turn on ridiculous school soap Waterloo Road. I watch it out of habit (it used to be all right) and he's a loving breath of fresh air.

The show also currently stars Leon Ockenden aka Norman Jayden from Heavy Rain which is fun. There's also Ian Beale's ex-wife.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

Captain Mediocre posted:

And combining thread favourites, Nick Helm has also been booked as a guest on RHLSTP.

This is great news.

Speaking of great news and thread favourites, Chris Morris will be in the new series of Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle, which starts a week on Saturday (the 1st of March).

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
The lack of proper political satire on TV has bothered me ever since I moved here. At least for me, the panel shows and Live at the Apollo! all seem to be pretty much the same, and any political impetus or joke just gets completely lost in the samey stories and jokes.

I guess what I miss is a form of cabaret like the German cabaret form as described on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabaret#German_cabaret_.28from_1901.29

Essentially, the laughs there come second, and half the time you are not sure whether you should laugh or just stare blankly and wonder where the hell we all went wrong. This doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't fun to watch, it's just that many of the British shows I know are too upbeat and inconsequential in their satire and political commentary for my taste.

That said, I don't think The Daily Show is all that much better, they drive their points home with a sledgehammer and often go for the cheap laughs. :saddowns:

I was thinking the same thing... :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Captain Mediocre posted:

I used to love the News Quiz - driving home from work, 6:30 comedy half hour on radio 4, excellent. I just can't stand the current regulars - Sandi Toksvig, Jeremy Hardy and some other bloke who is on it all the time are a bunch of smug twats.