Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lobok posted:

They could also just be terribly run businesses.

Sears is magically badly run. It is so badly run that it was better for division heads to tell their employees to sell competitor products than to sell Sears' in house brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Barudak posted:

Sears is magically badly run. It is so badly run that it was better for division heads to tell their employees to sell competitor products than to sell Sears' in house brand.

Exactly my point. It's ludicrous to draw the conclusion "the middle class is flailing" from the premise "Sears is struggling". Of course they're struggling - it's run by a pack of incompetent jokers and has been for years.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
So what's a successful middle class retailer? The Bay? Joe fresh?

I recently went shopping for baby crap and I was loving appalled at the prices. What the gently caress is up with 1400 strollers?

namaste friends fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 18, 2014

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Cultural Imperial posted:

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/life/h...?service=mobile

Globe story about millenials buying poo poo they can't afford. Love the anecdote about the guy with a house who has to rent out 4 bedrooms to make ends meet. Dumb gently caress.

I dunno -- I think we'll be seeing a lot more communal living in the years to come, given that the prediction is for things to only get worse generation over generation.

There are also better ways to do it: the place I'm living in is a duplex house that's been carved up into five apartments -- three basement suites and two upstairs. I'm pretty sure it now legally qualifies as an apartment complex. The owners, a family of three, live in one of the upstairs suites. The other suites have an 80-year old Canadian lady, a Mexican lady in her 40s with her son, my wife and I, and a Chilean family of three in the other upstairs suite. The owners have owned the place for 15+ years, so they bought before the bubble. I wouldn't buy a place to do this now, but for somebody who owns a place already this could make a lot of sense.

Also, from that article, a REALTOR(TM) who almost gets it:

Ben Smith, VP of sales and marketing at Rennie & Associates posted:

“It’s exciting, because for years we’ve been talking about this, and we’re finally seeing it happen,” he says. “There is $88-billion worth of clear-title real estate tied up with boomers. In B.C. and Vancouver especially, we are all equity and no income.”

... and as those boomers crash the market by dumping all that equity, we'll get back to being no equity, no income.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Apple?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Amazon?

The article seems to be ignoring online retailers completely. And Canadian consumer debt is still stupidly high so there's another answer here, I think.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

One of the multitude of shops that isn't a big chain, perhaps? Independent stores do still exist, and they generally offer superior service. I never buy my clothes at the Bay because it's all a bunch of overpriced poo poo and the employees know sweet gently caress-all about any of it. I go to a local, independent menswear store, where the prices are good, and the owner can compensate for the fact that I know nothing about fashion and have no interest in it whatsoever.

Consider retail liquor, too (this may not apply if you live in a place where private liquor stores aren't allowed). There's been a significant growth in the part of the market that caters to people interested in (not always very expensive) niche products, and millions of dollars have been made in building good, mass-market liquor stores in good locations as well. Why hit up some Superstore or Safeway liquor store staffed by average retail drones when I can go to a nice liquor store, staffed by people with a good knowledge of their product, who will offer me samples, and be able to recommend new products I might like?

What about specialty grocers/butchers? Those, too, are taking off, at least here in Calgary, as people want higher quality foods and a better experience. Again, the prices aren't much higher, and it's such a better product and experience.

Let's look at MEC, too, which is possibly my favourite large retailer at the moment and an example of how a chain can be done "right." They inspire brand loyalty by providing good products at reasonable prices, and acting responsibly. I wouldn't purchase anything I could find at MEC anywhere else, because I know it will be a painless experience and I will get what I want. Because it's not managed with a typical corporate mindset, the experience of going there doesn't make me want to tear my hair out by the roots.

Those are just the few that spring to mind. Most chains are (rightly) suffering because they offer poo poo products, poo poo service, are managed by orangutans, and don't even offer significantly better prices. I swear, they can't even be bothered to keep half their loving product line in stock at any given time.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

^ All of this is spot on. I'd almost go so far as to argue that we're currently in a golden age in terms of the availability of quality retail stores that offer a well-priced, good product. It's the dinosaurs of the mail-order age that are getting left behind, and rightly so. This is all largely orthogonal to the success of the middle-class financially - since, as we know - Canadians as a group very substantially make up the difference via credit anyway.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Other than the part about MEC, which hasn't been true for about five years (MEC is a corporate hell which is ruining the gear market), I agree with PT6A.

Culturally, we're seeing a rejection of the "supermarket" or "monopoly brand" shopping experience championed by Boomers due to a realization that it created a climate where quality went out the window and prices through the roof. Tim Hortons Vs. an independent coffee/donut shop for example.

I loving love my butcher, amazing meat at prices which shock me every time. :3

Rime fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 18, 2014

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Rime posted:

Other than the part about MEC, which hasn't been true for about five years, I agree with PT6A.

I only started going there about two years ago, so I really can't compare. If it was even better before, that's amazing. I'm not a really outdoorsy type, but I buy all my travel gear there, and the product selection, prices, and service are better than any of the lovely department stores or luggage stores. What problems have you seen with them?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Basically they're abusing their co-op status to create a monopoly on the outdoor gear market and drive aggressive expansions. MEC was founded because gear was stupid expensive in Canada, so a bunch of hippies got tired of driving to REI in Seattle and started a co-op to sell gear at wholesale prices and break the market. It was also staffed by super knowledgeable outdoors people who knew the gear, and they also manufactured some really great stuff locally in Vancouver via the purchase of Serratus and a couple other brands.

Fast forward to 2014 and the prices are now actually cheaper at places like Valhalla Pure because all the profits are being used to expand into "Lifestyle" gear for yoga moms and city dwellers instead of driving down gear costs with bulk buys. This is also why they are frequently out of stock on the actual outdoor gear and clearancing hundreds of yoga pants. They even rebranded everything last year to appeal harder to this market, further alienating their core members.

The bike department opening has caused the independent bike shops to go into hard times, since you can just go to MEC and get someone who barely knows bikes to adjust your chain for $15.

All the MEC-branded manufacturing is now done in southeast Asia or Israel with a noticeable decline in quality, and the sales floor is staffed by college students who have never climbed a mountain and make minimum wage, meaning its impossible to get advice on specific gear needs. They couldn't even help someone fit a backpack the last time I was in there.

It's the prices which bother me the most, though. MEC is not offering a competitive price to their members, in many cases it's more expensive than the competition (or a border run to REI, a massive irony) and as a result they should have their co-op tax status revoked immediately.

They're the Wal Mart of outdoor gear, and the consumer suffers wherever they open up shop.

/PhoneFormatting

Rime fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 18, 2014

Geoid
Oct 18, 2005
Just Add Water

Rime posted:

Basically they're abusing their co-op status to create a monopoly on the outdoor gear market and drive aggressive expansions. MEC was founded because gear was stupid expensive in Canada, so a bunch of hippies got tired of driving to REI in Seattle and started a co-op to sell gear at wholesale prices and break the market. It was also staffed by super knowledgeable outdoors people who knew the gear, and they also manufactured some really great stuff locally in Vancouver via the purchase of Serratus and a couple other brands.

Fast forward to 2014 and the prices are now actually cheaper at places like Valhalla Pure because all the profits are being used to expand into "Lifestyle" gear for yoga moms and city dwellers instead of driving down gear costs with bulk buys. This is also why they are frequently out of stock on the actual outdoor gear and clearancing hundreds of yoga pants. They even rebranded everything last year to appeal harder to this market, further alienating their core members.

The bike department opening has caused the independent bike shops to go into hard times, since you can just go to MEC and get someone who barely knows bikes to adjust your chain for $15.

All the MEC-branded manufacturing is now done in southeast Asia or Israel with a noticeable decline in quality, and the sales floor is staffed by college students who have never climbed a mountain and make minimum wage, meaning its impossible to get advice on specific gear needs. They couldn't even help someone fit a backpack the last time I was in there.

It's the prices which bother me the most, though. MEC is not offering a competitive price to their members, in many cases it's more expensive than the competition (or a border run to REI, a massive irony) and as a result they should have their co-op tax status revoked immediately.

They're the Wal Mart of outdoor gear, and the consumer suffers wherever they open up shop.

/PhoneFormatting

The MEC in Winnipeg has been variable in service lately, but I know that it's mandatory to have considerable outdoor experience to be hired. That said, not everyone can be an expert on everything.

As far as middle-class retailers, I'd say Costco is a defining one: mandatory annual membership fee, bulk purchases that lower costs, and it's still possible to be a cashier making a firmly middle-class wage.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wow that's lovely, I guess even places with good intention are invariably corrupted when they try to exist within a capitalist system.

I did some work for them recently changing their logo and I thought it was dumb but the staff were all "no this is good we want to appeal to normal consumers not just outdoors people!". "Outdoors people" was said with disdain.
Also made is Israel? Some slave factory on occupied land? BLOOD BACKPACKS ? Conflict Crampons?

\/ I'd love to support costco more, if they only had one remotely near me. I wish we could get an urban costco, right now it's not worth a 30 min drive.

We're getting our 2nd costco soon but once again it's wayyyy out in the burbs, heck it's past the burbs it's basically in the country. The grocery game in Victoria is awful, it's quickly turning into an over-priced low-quality monopoly.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 18, 2014

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Geoid posted:

As far as middle-class retailers, I'd say Costco is a defining one: mandatory annual membership fee, bulk purchases that lower costs, and it's still possible to be a cashier making a firmly middle-class wage.

Costco is a great example. And they are doing stupidly well - customers and employees alike tend to really like the company, and they are very successful financially.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

invariably corrupted when they try to exist within a capitalist system.

Couldn't let this go without comment: this statement is basically the pure, unadulterated essence of D&D :)

crispyseaweed
Sep 21, 2008
http://www.vancouversun.com/business/Vancouver+firm+will+build+developing+world+home+each+home+sold+here/9520732/story.html

quote:

With its official launch Tuesday, Vancouver-based World Housing hopes to make that a reality by partnering with real estate developers who want to donate a new home in the developing world for each unit sold here in the New World.

The project is the brainchild of Pete Dupuis and Sid Landolt, longtime partners in the luxury real estate business, who call it the world’s first one-for-one real estate gifting model. They both say that adequate housing can be life-changing for people struggling to survive in the impoverished slums that surround landfills.

“When you give someone a home, they become completely independent,” Dupuis said.

It's like Toms Shoes, but way worse!

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Rime posted:

I find rural BC properties to be a good barometer overall in the province, and this month saw a massive correction in the market.
Busts generally work in reverse of the booms. So it'll be areas that are less desirable or most over priced that start to correct first. So the other good barometer of the bust will be condo's or condo conversions (rental complexes "turned into" condos on paper).

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

I recently went shopping for baby crap and I was loving appalled at the prices. What the gently caress is up with 1400 strollers?

I think the article posted isn't considering some other likely scenarios, such as people are more aware of overseas manufacturing/sweatshops and, not really a parallel, shopping for most goods on Amazon is easier and cheaper.

When a Target opened up here, we thought we'd check it out and were amazed at the prices there. I mean, we're mid-to-upper class but don't spend our money on stupid poo poo just to have it. I am not sure how widespread it is, and maybe it's just my own anecdotal perspective, but I've cut way down on what I will buy. My husband and I have both done more DIY stuff (from furniture making to crafting for gift-giving to growing our own veggies in the spring and summer) in the past few years, rather than buying new things. We also stake out used shops for things such as curtains, clothes, books, whatever. It just doesn't make sense to be a huge consumer in today's world where it's smarter to just be more sustainable.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Baronjutter posted:

I did some work for them recently changing their logo and I thought it was dumb but the staff were all "no this is good we want to appeal to normal consumers not just outdoors people!". "Outdoors people" was said with disdain.
Also made is Israel? Some slave factory on occupied land? BLOOD BACKPACKS ? Conflict Crampons?

Ironically the rebranding is probably a boon for the outdoor gear market as a whole in Vancouver, because it drove home what we'd previously been willing to overlook (the creeping increase in prices, inability to order non-stock brands/tems, etc) and many of us have taken our business to the independents like Valhalla Pure.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
As an avid roadie and downhiller, I love mec for providing high quality, cheap and timely service. I've been ripped off so many loving times by Dunbar, obsessions and North shore bikeshop I don't feel one ounce of pity for the so called struggling local bike shop.

On the other hand props to suspensionwerx for their high quality albeit over priced service. I can get my loving car serviced cheaper than it costs to rebuild a fox40.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Mec makes and sells the cheapest 3 layer goretex jacket on the market.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Mec makes and sells the cheapest 3 layer goretex jacket on the market.

It's also an absurdly heavy POS with shoddy construction. Like I said, their monopoly has turned them into the Wal Mart of outdoor gear.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Valhalla Pure is pretty cool, too, and I grew up across the lake from Valhalla Provincial Park in BC, so I'd give them my business first. Except they don't have a location in Calgary, so I'm probably not going to bother driving out to Canmore just to shop there.

I also couldn't find an equivalent on their website to the perfect travel pack I picked up at MEC the first time I went there. It's perfectly sized to fit an overhead bin, and doesn't have any wheels or handles to take up valuable space. Luckily, it appears to be well made, because when it gives up the ghost I'll be very sad.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Rime posted:

It's also an absurdly heavy POS with shoddy construction. Like I said, their monopoly has turned them into the Wal Mart of outdoor gear.

I think this is exactly the point of that globe article. If you're inferring the mec jacket is going to fall apart after three uses and that you're going to collapse of exhaustion from wearing such a heavy jacket, then I tend to think you're scruitinizing your gear a little too hard. On the other hand if you think buying a 700 dollar arcteryx from Valhalla offers better value, well then, you're exactly the aspirational shopper being discussed.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
There's a middle ground with everything, which I think is the point the article missed by a mile. Millennials are, I hope, savvy enough that they won't be buying the overpriced MEC branded crap because it is the convenient solution, nor the $700 Arc'Teryx because bling-bling "it's da best 'cause it's expensive!".

Instead, they'll seek out the product that best suits their needs to razor precision without breaking the stringent budgets they're forced to live with. That's why communal living is on the rise and brand loyalty is going the way of the dodo.

PT6A posted:

Valhalla Pure is pretty cool, too, and I grew up across the lake from Valhalla Provincial Park in BC, so I'd give them my business first. Except they don't have a location in Calgary, so I'm probably not going to bother driving out to Canmore just to shop there.

That's reasonable, I'm mostly speaking from the Vancouver perspective where Broadway used to have a ton of gear shops which MEC drove out of business before they ramped up the prices. They're the only store in the city which sells climbing gear now as a result, meaning I either have to suck up their prices or smuggle poo poo across the border from REI.

Rime fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 19, 2014

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I am scared to go into Valhalla Pure because with a name like that it has to be a front for the BC Nazi Party.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Clipperton posted:

I am scared to go into Valhalla Pure because with a name like that it has to be a front for the BC Nazi Party.

Not even joking here, google Taiga works and anti semitism.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/life/h...?service=mobile

Globe story about millenials buying poo poo they can't afford. Love the anecdote about the guy with a house who has to rent out 4 bedrooms to make ends meet. Dumb gently caress.

My god, that article and the framing are bizarre.

If you read it critically, it's not about "buying poo poo they can't afford". It's about much worse off young people are than their parents.

-They live in condos instead of houses because they can't afford houses
-They don't have cars because they can't afford them
-They have debt because they're poor and have student loans
-They don't save because you can't save when you're loving broke

Every one of these things can be explained by People are not making as much money as they were and essentials like housing are really loving expensive now. Yet somehow the conclusion is "oh those whacky millenials! they just love moving around and going from job to job and taking the bus because they're free spirits!" What the gently caress?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

RBC posted:

If you read it critically, it's not about "buying poo poo they can't afford". It's about much worse off young people are than their parents.

Every one of these things can be explained by People are not making as much money as they were and essentials like housing are really loving expensive now. Yet somehow the conclusion is "oh those whacky millenials! they just love moving around and going from job to job and taking the bus because they're free spirits!" What the gently caress?

I don't know how you can even take it as "Whacky Millenials" when the 3rd line is

quote:

“They will be the first generation that is not going to be better off than their parents were,” says Melanie Reuter, director of research for the Real Estate Investment Network.

Kind of sets the tone as here how they are coping with it.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Whiteycar posted:

I don't know how you can even take it as "Whacky Millenials" when the 3rd line is

Kind of sets the tone as here how they are coping with it.

That's a quote and the next sentence is a snide one line "Her interpretation." qualifier from the writer.

Perhaps you are one of those people that considers themselves fortunate not to be tied down by things like "job security" and "benefits".

peter banana
Sep 2, 2008

Feminism is a socialist, anti-family, political movement that encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians.

Dreylad posted:

Amazon?

The article seems to be ignoring online retailers completely. And Canadian consumer debt is still stupidly high so there's another answer here, I think.

Online retail in Canada is a joke. It shouldn't be, but it is.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Rime posted:

One massive development in particular, 350 acres on Bowen Island, had the developer throw in the towel and put it on the market. Originally at $5.9M, dropped to $4.8M now. Seems small, but that's a fuckoff huge drop in price for what's essentially a Vancouver suburb.

I... think I know this property. I don't actually think it's a development -- in fact, it's not even subdivided into subdivision sized lots (yet). He may have been sitting on it hoping to one day, but there's no development on the land, and there are no permits. It's pretty pristine...

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Pixelboy posted:

I... think I know this property. I don't actually think it's a development -- in fact, it's not even subdivided into subdivision sized lots (yet). He may have been sitting on it hoping to one day, but there's no development on the land, and there are no permits. It's pretty pristine...

http://www.landquest.com/detailmain.aspx?propid=13269

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Baronjutter posted:

Wow that's lovely, I guess even places with good intention are invariably corrupted when they try to exist within a capitalist system.

\/ I'd love to support costco more, if they only had one remotely near me. I wish we could get an urban costco, right now it's not worth a 30 min drive.

We're getting our 2nd costco soon but once again it's wayyyy out in the burbs, heck it's past the burbs it's basically in the country. The grocery game in Victoria is awful, it's quickly turning into an over-priced low-quality monopoly.

Nice, that's the Costco nearest to my place, smaller than the other stores they have, but usually less crowded too.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

RBC posted:

Wait until they try to sell us their houses, and discover that they aren't worth nearly as much as they've been led to believe.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

tagesschau posted:

Wait until they try to sell us their houses, and discover that they aren't worth nearly as much as they've been led to believe.

Plus getting a love letter from the bank demanding the equity balance for the HELOC.

etalian fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 19, 2014

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.

I think this is exactly the point of that globe article. If you're inferring the mec jacket is going to fall apart after three uses and that you're going to collapse of exhaustion from wearing such a heavy jacket, then I tend to think you're scruitinizing your gear a little too hard. On the other hand if you think buying a 700 dollar arcteryx from Valhalla offers better value, well then, you're exactly the aspirational shopper being discussed.

I don't know, it seems pretty reasonable to not want a Goretex shell that's heavy, cheap, and probably doesn't breathe well if those first two things are true. Arcteryx is definitely overpriced for what you get, granted.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.
Three posts later...

24% of Canadians see their homes as main source of retirement income

The Globe & Mail posted:

“We were really quite surprised to see such a high percentage of Canadians thinking of using their homes as a primary income source of retirement and another 17 per cent saying they weren’t quite sure,” Kevin Dougherty, president of Sun Life Financial Canada, said in an interview.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

The baby equipment racket is right up there with real estate and the wedding mill when it comes to preying on emotion and turning it into debt slavery.

Saltin fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Jesus christ don't they think they need to sell first

No don't answer that