Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rhymenoserous posted:

Wouldn't multiboxing 10 ratters scale just as well when it comes to income?

You can't usually fit 10 multiboxed ratters in one system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Rhymenoserous posted:

It's a bit more difficult to find ten sites uncontested, and warp ten pilots around as they each finish them.

"But spiteski! You could put them all in one site!" You say.
You are then bordering on having to be actively ratting on at least one of them, assuming you just assign them all to a trigger. And the rate you'd clear sites would make the travel time finding a new site a drain on your income which gets larger the faster you clear.
Mining scales fairly linearly past the point of a booster, an orca and a freighter acc tied up.

Edit: couple typos.

Cerebral Wolf
Jun 20, 2008

Spiteski posted:

He did say "used to be"

I think TMC has a good amount of blog-type entries interspersed with its proper news stuff, but it would be nice if there was a little more, or somewhere that isn't en24 that had more interesting reads about eve. It's hard to fill a working day.

Edit: stupidly fat fingering my phone.

Welp, I missed that. A lot of the information on there is obsolete now though ain't it with tiericide etc?...

Whats the difference between Wasp I and Wasp II's?... Pure DPS?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Rhymenoserous posted:

You will almost assuredly have to spread across multiple systems to do it. Multibox mining is all done in the same system and is at a much lower skill premium compared to ratting.

The thing with mining that we hate is that it encourages people to train non-PvP skills. Skills for ratting mesh more closely to PvP skills, so it is the preferred money maker for line members.

mikey
Sep 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAA

~~AAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~

Cerebral Wolf posted:

Whats the difference between Wasp I and Wasp II's?... Pure DPS?

They're better in literally every way. If you can't use Wasp IIs, use Navy Wasps, they're a pretty good stopgap.

Rhymenoserous posted:

Across 3 systems, sure, but a 10-character mining fleet is much, much easier to manage and keep track of, and what are you going to use 10 drone-specialized combat characters for anyway?

Logarth
Oct 2, 2003
This thread made me resub. I haven't played since Delve and I'm pretty sure I still have a few billion in stuff there. Oops.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ Good news! We have sovereignty down there right now and you will be able to get everything out of NOL with ease! :)

In Theta Mumble last night, somebody mentioned seeing a dude in Deklein who was rolling around with a multiboxing blob that consisted of 1 golem and 9 other caracals. I assume the setup was to establish the golem as the tank and that the caracals were to scale his DPS (and consequently his clear times) to obscene levels.

Now, assuming that you get a system all to yourself, I could see this setup scaling pretty efficiently. It just requires that the anomalies instantly respawn which I am pretty sure they do, correct?

Siets fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 18, 2014

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

There's a sale at Penny's!
Combat anomalies have something like a five minute delay before respawning.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Spiteski posted:

It's a bit more difficult to find ten sites uncontested, and warp ten pilots around as they each finish them.

"But spiteski! You could put them all in one site!" You say.
You are then bordering on having to be actively ratting on at least one of them, assuming you just assign them all to a trigger. And the rate you'd clear sites would make the travel time finding a new site a drain on your income which gets larger the faster you clear.
Mining scales fairly linearly past the point of a booster, an orca and a freighter acc tied up.

Edit: couple typos.

No I was thining about spreading them out... say the way suas does his carriers.

mikey posted:

Across 3 systems, sure, but a 10-character mining fleet is much, much easier to manage and keep track of, and what are you going to use 10 drone-specialized combat characters for anyway?

Train them into the next "Bloodtears" of course.

Cerebral Wolf
Jun 20, 2008
Wouldn't that be a huge waste of DR though? I'd have thought a bunch of VNI's with navy wasps would be better?....

Lowkin
Aug 27, 2007
When I lock targets and click fire how do I get it too keep shooting once a target dies?

I keep hearing people saying they AFK rat and I have no idea how one could do that.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Lowkin posted:

When I lock targets and click fire how do I get it too keep shooting once a target dies?

I keep hearing people saying they AFK rat and I have no idea how one could do that.

They do it with drones that auto agress.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Trabisnikof posted:

You can't usually fit 10 multiboxed ratters in one system.

There are a pair of guys in Amarr militia which multibox something like 10 stealth bombers and run FW missions. With 10 bombers you can complete a lvl4 mission in seconds. That is something like 70-80 thousand LPs at Tier-4. Assuming 1000 ISK per LP that is 70-80 milion. You can get a bunch of lvl4s and then complete those in minutes. Do the math...

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
I joined in August of last year and was immediately stuffed so full of money I had to resort to giving some away. There's still some there, available for newly joining SA members. Look in SpaceGBS for the topic called something like "If you are new click right here."

No one cares what you do in the corp. Get involved at whatever level you want.

Join everything you're eligible for and get free skill books, money, implants, ships, etc. Also contact me in-game to join the Gevlon Goblin sleeper cell I'm running inside GSF (we are like seriously 99% of the way to killing "Goon").

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Kill all goon.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Amberskin posted:

There are a pair of guys in Amarr militia which multibox something like 10 stealth bombers and run FW missions. With 10 bombers you can complete a lvl4 mission in seconds. That is something like 70-80 thousand LPs at Tier-4. Assuming 1000 ISK per LP that is 70-80 milion. You can get a bunch of lvl4s and then complete those in minutes. Do the math...

That is faction warfare, and mission running to boot, neither of which are applicable to us.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Glory of Arioch posted:

That is faction warfare, and mission running to boot, neither of which are applicable to us.

There are a fair number of goons doing faction warfare on alts.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I doubt mission running scales very well with multiple accounts given how much of your time would be spent simply traveling between missions and not shooting torpedoes at things.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Rhymenoserous posted:

What are the average fleet sizes these guys are sending out?

When we went on our last POCO rep fleet, we had ourselves about 60-70 at start, which by the end was down to about 40-50. However, ENL-A showed up in a small fleet of about ten or so, primarily griffins, following us around to POCOs. In fleet, apparently Gevlon was claiming fleets of up to 90 to shoot our POCOs, so that's a pretty neat size. RvB was also cruising about, I didn't know ear fleet size.

Although the GSF fleet didn't see any real action, other than some hisec dwellers finding a Scimitar of ours that went suspect which we then dropped an Orca on to quick fit into 4 WCS so he could warp off and an ENL-A neutral Osprey that landed on grid and was promptly shot as hew as suspect, apparently RvB killed a few Lemmings near a station.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rhymenoserous posted:

There are a fair number of goons doing faction warfare on alts.

When people here say ratting they usually don't mean fw.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Voyager I posted:

I doubt mission running scales very well with multiple accounts given how much of your time would be spent simply traveling between missions and not shooting torpedoes at things.

Depends on how you run them. Yes, cramming more ships into a single mission quickly gives diminishing returns, but many of them are still fairly AFK:able, at which point the trick would rather be to run many missions in parallel. If you do that, you could also start seeing some use in a Noctis alt that dash around between the many completed sites.

Moral
Feb 9, 2014

I'm not really sure what I'm doing.

Amberskin posted:

drat, if that works as well as it sounds then that's some insane ISK.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Glory to Theta Squad! :getin:

Edit: Also, EVE reminded me how cruel she is. Or how stupid can I be.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

kalstrams posted:

What were you even trying to go for with that fit :psyduck:

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

kalstrams posted:

Yep! Join Theta Squad, we're full of tits!

And bosoms too!

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

kalstrams posted:

Yeah, that's a bit of a headscratcher of a fit. You've got great DPS (for a Gnosis) on paper, but there's three big problems:

1) Blasters are limited to very short range; you can only hit stuff if you can stay in close range to it. (Doubly so in your case because you're using Tech-1 guns, which means you can't use Null ammo to increase your ange.)
2) Because you have no scram or web, you can only stay in close range to a target if you're faster than it.
3) The Gnosis aligns fast but has a very slow straight-line speed, and you have no modules to help that. (You move 1088m/s with perfect skills, which is slower than many battleships.)

The idea behind this fit is fundamentally bad. And that's even before we talk about the meta-1 modules on your ship. It's perfectly fine for newbies to not have Tech-2 modules trained up yet, but if that's the case, you should try to find cheap meta-3 or meta-4 modules to use instead. The only time to use meta-1 modules is when you're suicide ganking.

If you want to revisit this idea in the future, here's a slightly better version. It uses Tech-2 guns, it packs a scram/web to allow it to maintain its range, and it uses two overdrives to improve its mobility. (Using Overdrives is intentional in this case; the Gnosis already aligns very fast, Overdrives provide a better straight-line speed increase than Nanofibers, and the Gnosis has tons of cargo space to los.)

quote:

[Gnosis, shield buffer | Blasters | cheap]
Damage Control II
Magnetic Field Stabilizer II
Overdrive Injector System II
Overdrive Injector System II

Experimental 10MN Microwarpdrive I
Warp Scrambler II
Stasis Webifier II
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Large Shield Extender II
Large Shield Extender II

Heavy Neutron Blaster II, Null M
Medium Diminishing Power System Drain I

Medium Core Defense Field Extender I

Hammerhead II x5
Warrior II x5

Same effective HP, 25% faster, 40% more DPS, and it's got a scram and web to help keep your targets in range. The Nos helps you keep shooting when fighting ships with neuts.

mikey
Sep 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAA

~~AAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~

kalstrams posted:

Yeah, uh, you might want a scram and web on a blaster ship. The Gnosis has enough midslots to still fit a decent 2-LSE / 1 Invuln tank with full tackling gear, although it's slow as balls, so it doesn't really make a great solo blaster boat. I definitely wouldn't fly a T1 blaster Gnosis in any situation, as without access to Null, you'll be doing pitiful DPS against anything that manages to scram+web you 7-10km away. And apparently the Gnosis has basically no shield regen? Compensation for the even resists or something?

Something like this would work a lot better, and fits with reasonable fitting skills (AWU IV, Hybrid Rigging IV):

[Gnosis, T2 Blaster]
Damage Control II
Tracking Enhancer II
Tracking Enhancer II

Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Large Shield Extender II
Stasis Webifier II
Large Shield Extender II
Warp Scrambler II
Experimental 10MN Microwarpdrive I

Heavy Neutron Blaster II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge M
Medium Unstable Power Fluctuator I

Medium Hybrid Collision Accelerator II

Hammerhead II x5
Hobgoblin II x5

~95m isk, 800dps, and 60k EHP, but it's still completely vulnerable to anything smaller than a battleship that can kite at all, and I'm willing to bet that it would probably still lose in a brawl to a Navy Brutix.

e: Ullerm's fit is probably better, as Null hits reasonably well out to 10km without TEs.

mikey fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 19, 2014

Logarth
Oct 2, 2003
I resubbed, downloaded and am picking over the remains of a few characters. I applied to Goon Swarm, who seem to own Delve again, huzzah, I can move my crap.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

HelloSailorSign posted:

When we went on our last POCO rep fleet, we had ourselves about 60-70 at start, which by the end was down to about 40-50. However, ENL-A showed up in a small fleet of about ten or so, primarily griffins, following us around to POCOs. In fleet, apparently Gevlon was claiming fleets of up to 90 to shoot our POCOs, so that's a pretty neat size. RvB was also cruising about, I didn't know ear fleet size.

Although the GSF fleet didn't see any real action, other than some hisec dwellers finding a Scimitar of ours that went suspect which we then dropped an Orca on to quick fit into 4 WCS so he could warp off and an ENL-A neutral Osprey that landed on grid and was promptly shot as hew as suspect, apparently RvB killed a few Lemmings near a station.

It's also worth noting that the POCO rep fleets are super chill, and have pretty awesome chatter. Wall eyed pubbie shitlords in local howling about us "not playing fair" is also a bonus.

Also, the boast was 120 man BS fleet. Though I can't wait for these idiots to all be in Tengus, which they seem to believe will totally win the war for them.

FoF
Mar 22, 2007

I BET THE GOONS DID THIS

ASK ME ABOUT BITCOINS, CIS PRIVILEGE, AND MY MASSIVE KARMA ON REDDIT

Blawrf posted:

I joined Goonfleet in 2011, made a truckload of cash from scamming nerds and now i'm a director and oh god shoot me

You are no true Lannister who does not pay his debts is what you are.

MacPac
Jun 2, 2006

Grimey Drawer
eve-flowchart:
if you mine -> kill yourself

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ablative posted:

Yep! Join Theta Squad, we're full of tits!

And bosoms too!

Qris buttoned me few ours ago. :frogc00l:

bonewitch posted:

What were you even trying to go for with that fit :psyduck:

ullerrm posted:

Gnosis 101

mikey posted:

Gnosis 102

I am quite bad at fitting :( Basically, all the time I played EVE I just did tackling in those brief glimpses when I played actively. I have not got a least clue on how to fit anything that should shoot and is larger than frigate.

My Gnosis was such for several reasons. When I resubbed after Titanomachy I found myself with Gnosis being (purposefully) almost my only asset and myself being in nullsec. So I just tried to make a ratting ship from Gnosis with stuff that was available at that time in the local market and that would suit my skills. That resulted in the flying pile of crap that my Gnosis was. Also, it was bad enough to lose half shield while killing a bunch of rats on a belt.

Then I left xXMOTHERLANDXx and joined GSF. I have two characters, with my assets being a Sarum Magnate, a Heron and a Gnosis. So I flew to VFK alone without scouting with those both ships while carelessly chatting in jabber. Heron made it clear and easy to VFK, but it was almost as close to it as possible initially, docked up in low-sec. Gnosis was further away and I guess I actually messed up the moment when I was attacked due to myself being a little bit drowsy after 15 or so jumps through empire. First T3 took off my shield, said "oh, no cyno" and then rest of them decloaked. I died 5256m away from gate. :(

Edit: I am sorry for grammar and spelling, it is 3am and I can not check it reliably.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 19, 2014

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

:qq: The OP doesn't mention Exploration as a Newbie SP way of making money :qq:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

It's directly from Aryth's Home Economics list so take it up with him.

FlutterShock
May 17, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

Exploration can be great for newer pilots, but not everyone will be as willing to learn the scamming mechanic and how you probe down anomalies the same as some of the die hard DED site running people. Salvaging and generally poking around in asteroid belts in both low sec, and/or null sec can be profitable at first I feel.

TskMgr
Aug 26, 2009
I registered for goonfleet some time ago when playing Mechwarrior online with some goons, so I'm not quite sure if I need to re-register to play space boats with you guys. I can log into the goonfleet forums just fine, just not sure if I need to do anything special now that I'm playing EVE.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

^^^ E-mail newbies@goonfleet.com

I believe that Exploration and Salvaging strictly belong to newbies as ISK-making activities, if you can AFK rat or run combat sites then there's really no reason to bother with either of those sets of skills

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

TskMgr posted:

I registered for goonfleet some time ago when playing Mechwarrior online with some goons, so I'm not quite sure if I need to re-register to play space boats with you guys. I can log into the goonfleet forums just fine, just not sure if I need to do anything special now that I'm playing EVE.

Read this thread for instructions.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

The bigger issue will be that exploration will generally be exhausted anywhere within 25 jumps of JU-. It's great if you can find unmolested grounds, but finding them will take some effort.

Still better than mining, though. :shudder:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surebet
Jan 10, 2013

specialist

QuarkJets posted:

^^^ E-mail newbies@goonfleet.com

I believe that Exploration and Salvaging strictly belong to newbies as ISK-making activities, if you can AFK rat or run combat sites then there's really no reason to bother with either of those sets of skills

Depending on how much you guys use combat probes a minimum of exploration is good practice to get used to the interface, and even if it's not the most profitable thing (outside of top tier stuff) it's still something different.

I'll point a Tengu at a random direction in null from time to time just because.

• Locked thread