Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
B because Mei sounds like a winner.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Dial E for... Ease...ball. :v:

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

vibratingsheep posted:

Akai Homura
Wants: To eat, sleep, and sometimes kick people.

Ijuuin Mei
Successor to: Ijuuin Rei and Himoo Yuina
Club: Computer
Wants: You to know that she owns you. Yes, you.
CV: Tamura Yukari (AKA just look at her goddamn Wiki page, you'll find something you recognize, she's been an A-lister for a decade and a half)

These grab my interest.

However, I will vote A because it seems right to switch tacks after seeing Yuina last.

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...
B, because Mei

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
Going live with the stream - going to create EVS files for all 9 relevant girls, then go through the childhood as a lazy kid who wants to play games all the time.

http://www.twitch.tv/vibratingsheep

Thanks to everyone who came by. Sorry for sucking so much at Tokimeki Memorial Puzzledama :D

Coming Thursday: Tokimemo 2 officially starts!

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Feb 18, 2014

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.
Voting option C for frog lady and the promise of violence.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Voting B for :black101:! Can't go wrong with a girl who's okay with eating, sleeping, and kicking. The added :science: isn't bad as well.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
A

I want to see story, it's what I'm mostly here for.

MonotoneMorgan
Nov 20, 2013

The saddest day in Octavian's life was the day he was asked to shave his mustache.
E - Baseball is the poo poo and so we need more of it. Take us all the way to the Koushien, vibratingsheep!

TheWhaler
Nov 6, 2009
A

Story mode sounds good to me.

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.
Spring training has already started in the Japanese league, so let's hit some dingers and avoid making Errors!

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.
If we're going to have two runs at this then I'll say we start with A. We'll save B for the next run.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
A. Why would you go for anything other than story in a game almost entirely comprised of it?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
A seems good. Goon spent his entire childhood playing all of the jRPGs, and has taken many life lessons from it. :v:

Jynxite
May 1, 2013
I'm kind of interested in Kaori, so I'll vote for A.

At the same time, I just noticed Rei and Mei share the same last name. Are they secretly the same person, or were their parents just that uninspired?

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Jynxite posted:

I just noticed Rei and Mei share the same last name. Are they secretly the same person, or were their parents just that uninspired?

Mei is Rei's little sister... which is a retcon. If you call Rei a bunch of times in Tokimemo 1, you find out that Rei is an only child.

And, spoiler tags off since we're past Tokimemo 1, Rei also tells you that there's a rule in the Ijuuin house where the girls have to live as men until they graduate high school. Mei blows up both of these, and the developers, when they were called out on these inconsistencies, said the equivalent of "Oops. Well, it's funny, so whatever."

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

vibratingsheep posted:

And, spoiler tags off since we're past Tokimemo 1, Rei also tells you that there's a rule in the Ijuuin house where the girls have to live as men until they graduate high school.

I've noticed the "girls have to live as boys" thing in a lot of anime, is there any historical basis? I know in some cultures women will act as men if there aren't any male heirs.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I still think it's completely crazy that Rei and Goon could have possibly gotten into a relationship after years of Rei randomly coming in to poo poo on Goon. I can only imagine how that worked out. :v:

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
I'm going to vote B.

Homura looks like the most interesting character to me, she looks to have a relationship with the other more interesting characters, and I'm curious to find out if Mei is, in fact, a demonic Takamachi Nanoha.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
Going to vote for b for the first playthru.

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

Pity you're not also going down the "Nintendo Hard" route with TM2, but that's understandable.

I'd love to get to know Miho more, so A it is.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Sketchie posted:

Pity you're not also going down the "Nintendo Hard" route with TM2, but that's understandable.

I'd love to get to know Miho more, so A it is.

Funny thing is? Miho CAN be Nintendo Hard. :cry:

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

vibratingsheep posted:

Funny thing is? Miho CAN be Nintendo Hard. :cry:
Oh ho ho! You better do that with Miho if A wins. :dance:

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Aw, I missed the stream! vibratingsheep, do you ever upload videos of your streams?

Now that I think about it, I don't think I ever finished a Miho game with her ending.

(Minor spoilers for some Game Mechanics that haven't been discussed yet)
I got all the way to late in the last year before I realized that Takumi had set his sites on Miho as well. Since Miho likes Art and Literature, my guy was too wimpy to defeat Takumi in the Duel for Her Love.

:argh:

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Catalina posted:

Aw, I missed the stream! vibratingsheep, do you ever upload videos of your streams?

I got all the way to late in the last year before I realized that Takumi had set his sites on Miho as well. Since Miho likes Art and Literature, my guy was too wimpy to defeat Takumi in the Duel for Her Love.

I plan to upload the last two streams, at least: Yuina's ending, and then the EVS tutorial/childhood portion.

Also, yeah, there are so many balls in the air in Tokimemo 2 it's kind of mindboggling.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I'm still working my way through the LP (and I'm amazed that Arino somehow got the Shiori ending in a single play), but there's something I noticed I wanted to comment on.

vibratingsheep posted:

Chapter 16: Spring 1997 - My name is Goonzymandias, Teen of Teens

It was a long and tough road. But when I said everything from here is downhill, I meant it. We have been careful. We have been . And we have been patient.

Note the missing word in 'We have been .' It's not the first time I've seen that in a post. Did the forums start censoring a word at some point?

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

FredMSloniker posted:

Note the missing word in 'We have been .' It's not the first time I've seen that in a post. Did the forums start censoring a word at some point?

Weird! I've edited it back in - it's supposed to be "quiet".

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Catalina posted:

Now that I think about it, I don't think I ever finished a Miho game with her ending.

(Minor spoilers for some Game Mechanics that haven't been discussed yet)

http://www.twitch.tv/vibratingsheep/profile/pastBroadcasts

Streams will appear there as long as Vibratingsheep chooses to save the vod.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Both polls are now closed! Thanks for all the votes. This is how our new Goon will behave:

In his childhood, Goon will be a lazy gamer.

And in his teenage years, Goon will mature to be a sensitive and caring soul! There will be one more poll to check what club you want Goon to join (AKA whose story and ending you want to see!)

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 19, 2014

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

Mwahaha! Now you HAVE to do Nintendo Hard Miho! :getin:

This should be very interesting. I'm looking forward to this!

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

The Making of Goon2

I'm trying something new with video content for this LP - although after my first two attempts, I think I need to write a script for myself next time. Here are the video versions of character creation and EVS file creation.

Character Creation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4c7pDCWmso
EVS File Creation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmFMa0emtvk

Enough dawdling, time to get started!

Step 1: Character creation

Unlike Tokimemo 1, Tokimemo 2 offers you a lot more freedom in character creation. There's no master formula that determines Hikari's tastes and club activities - she's always going to be on the track team. So, meet our new Goon:

Fudou Gunma.

The characters used in his name mean "herd of horses" and is also the name of a prefecture in Japan.

Goon's birthday is going to be October 26th for unknown reasons, but I had to pause and think hard about what blood type he would be. Why? Because of this:

I've mentioned before that blood type factors into Japanese horoscopes - some believe that blood types also influence personality, and more importantly for gameplay purposes, they also influence compatibility. Blood type compatibility provides a small multiplier to all affection gains in Tokimemo 2, and the effect is quite noticeable for O->A and B->AB.

You may think that B is overpowered from looking at the chart, but as you may recall from the "Always Pick Grades" rant from the first New Year's Day of Tokimemo 1, some playthroughs actually benefit from slower affection gains. In particular, there are a couple of events in Tokimeki Memorial 2 that require affection to be under a certain threshold in order to see them.

In the end, I settled on good ol' O. Again, for completely unknown reasons.

Step 2: Emotional Voice System file creation!

Immediately after character creation, the game asks if you want to create EVS (Emotional Voice System) data, to insert into the game every time the girl of your choice says $playername. Hardware limitations kick in hard right here, as a single EVS file takes up a little over 80K, when PlayStation-era memory cards could only hold 120K. So if you want to have an EVS file for each main character, you have to have a whopping 10 separate memory cards! And that doesn't count the memory card you need for the system file.

Thankfully, this is the PS3, so I can make as many virtual PlayStation memory cards as I need.

The base game only comes with the ability to create EVS files for Hikari and Kasumi, the two most prominent characters in the game.

Making an EVS is simple. First, spell out the sounds you want the girl to say every time she says your name. In this case, I'm writing out "Gu-Nn", which is how Goon is written in Japanese.

Next, choose where the accent goes.

Then, the game plays a sample at you. My first few attempts, quite frankly, sounded awful (refer to the video to hear what it sounds like).

By the way, if you try to put in a sound that the system isn't capable of (or which doesn't exist in Japanese), you get a giant HONK sound effect as the game angrily refuses to accept your attempts to break the language. It's pretty amusing.

Five minutes later, I finally made something I could live with. Time for the game to begin!

Next time: Childhood... and PANIC!

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 19, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

How did the game get "Ringun" out of "guun"? :psyduck:

Also I guess it's fitting that you picked the universal donor as the bloodtype for our sensitive Goon.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
How come your videos seem to have random black frames in them? Is it something on my end, or is it happening for everyone? It's quite distracting.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

FredMSloniker posted:

How come your videos seem to have random black frames in them? Is it something on my end, or is it happening for everyone? It's quite distracting.

It has something to do with the frame rate of the PlayStation 1 emulation. I'm working on fixing it, which will probably involve a permanent swap to OBS.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Prologue: Raising the Flags of Childhood, part 1

With all of the basic information ready, the game throws you into the childhood portion of Goon's life, starting in March of 1992, when he and Hikari are 8 years old and just about to start the spring break between 2nd grade and 3rd grade..

3/27/1992: Day 1.

Hikari: Gunma-chan, let's go home.
Goon: Yeah, let's go.

New to the Tokimeki Memorial series... the third dimension! Hey, give the graphics some slack, this is 1999 we're talking about here. While walking home, Goon faceplants on the street.

Goon: Owwwwwww!

Hikari: Are, are you okay?

Hikari crying count: 1

While Hikari very helpfully runs in circles and cries, Kasumi happens by on her way home from middle school.

Kasumi: Are you alright?
Kasumi: Well, it really can't be helped...
Goon: Kasumi-oneechan...
Kasumi: Here. Pain, pain, go away!
Goon: Oh...
Kasumi: You're fine now, right? Now, don't just sit there forever.

Translator's note: 痛いの痛いの飛んでけ is a very common thing the Japanese do to their kids to distract them from cuts and bruises - "pain, pain, fly away" is the literal translation.

Goon: Thanks, Kasumi-oneechan.
Kasumi: Hikari-chan, are you okay?
Hikari: Yeah...
Kasumi: Then make sure to hurry home. No detours!
???: Kasumi, what're you doing?
???: Hey, wait. Are these your kids?
Kasumi: How would that be possible? They're from my neighborhood.
???: Boo, how boring.
Kasumi: Stop saying silly things. Let's go.

After heading home for a second, Hikari runs next door to Goon's house to ask him to come play with her.

Hikari: Gunma-chan, let's play!
Goon:
Option 1: Okay, let's play!
Option 2: No, I'll play by myself.

The correct choice on day 1 is yes.

Hikari: Hehehe... yay, let's go!
Goon: Okay.

The first stop on the childhood train is the local park.

Hikari: What are we gonna play?
Goon: Let's play in the sandbox!

Time to get some pinkeye!

Goon: Hey, Hikari-chan! Don't make a hole there.
Hikari: But it's faster to go this way!
Goon: It'll fall down. Quit it.
Hikari: I said it's fine!
Goon: Cut it out!
Hikari: IT'S FINE!
Hikari: ...uh oh!

Hikari: ...
Goon: I told you so! What now?
Hikari: No! It's your fault for not being careful!
Goon: It's your fault for making a hole there! Stupid Hikari-chan!

Hikari: I'm not stupid! You're stupid for calling me stupid! WAAAAHHHHH

Hikari crying count: 2

Goon: Uh... ...s, sorry.
Hikari: I hate you! Idiot! *sniffle*
Goon: I said I'm sorry...
Goon: Hey, let's do it over!
Hikari: Huh?
Goon: We'll make a bigger one! So big, it won't fall over!
Goon: Okay?

Hikari: *sniffle* O...okay!

With that, the scene ends, and the next step... is to run in circles and make sure to cut corners so that Hikari gets lost.

Goon: Huh? Where'd Hikari-chan go?

Good question, Goon. Good question. There are two places Hikari can be: by the park, or in the shopping district. Wherever you find her, she'll be doing the Hikari Dance until you talk to her.

Hikari: Hey, there you are!
Hikari: Wait for meeeee! Wai-- ah!
Hikari: *sniffle*
Goon: Hey, Hikari-chan!

Hikari: WAAAAAAHHH!

Hikari crying count: 3

Goon: Hey, you have to follow closer.
Hikari: *sob* But you always run ahead of me.
Goon: ......
Goon: Stop crying, okay?
Goon: I know! From now on, let's hold hands so we don't get split up!

Hikari: O...okay! *sniff* Hehe!

At this point, I took advantage of the location to investigate a bunch of buildings and answer questions about the kind of boy Goon was when he was 8 - a lot of little decisions that add up to stats. Example: "I like cake" or "I like flowers", where one option raises Stam/Sports and the other raises Art. Most of these aren't worth translating, except for a few "what the hell?" options like "I like sake" vs. "I like salmon". In general, I made it so that Goon is a lazy little gamer boy who just wants to play.

After that, it's time to run to the mountain trail and do the Hikari Dance until night falls. When it finally does...

Hikari: Hey, it's getting dark... we should go home.
Goon: Yeah. But... where are we?
Hikari: Y, you mean... we're lost?
Hikari: We can't go home?
Goon: I think it's this way, but the path is so narrow...
Hikari: You said we'd be fine! Liar!
Hikari: I wanna go home!
Goon: Saying that won't change anything...

Hikari crying count: 4

Kasumi: ~kuuuun! Hikari-chaaaan!
Goon: Kasumi-oneechan!
Kasumi: I'm glad I found you. We were worried because it was getting so late.
Kasumi: Everything's going to be okay now, Hikari.
Hikari: *sniffle* But, but...

Kasumi: Since you're a boy, you have to help take care of Hikari.
Goon: Okay...
Kasumi: You can't make her cry anymore. Can you promise me that?
Goon: Yeah. I promise.
Kasumi: Good. Now let's hurry home.

Childhood promises: 1

Kasumi: Now, go right to bed and don't stay up late.
Goon: Okay!
Kasumi: Bye-bye.
Goon: Bye-bye!

3/28/1992: Day 2.

Goon: Option 1: Okay, let's play!
Hikari: Hehehe... yay, let's go!

One of the few stat-building bits that involves dialogue comes when Goon looks at a billboard near the park.

Goon: That lady's pretty...
Option 1: I've seen her on TV before!
Option 2: But Kasumi-oneechan is prettier.

No matter which option you choose, Hikari says...
Hikari: Booooo!

The first event of the day requires you to intercept Kasumi on the way home from school.

Goon: Hey, Kasumi-oneechan!
Kasumi: Oh, Gunma-kun. Were you playing around here?
Goon: Yeah!
Goon: Hey, you should come play with us, onee-chan!

Hikari: No! You're playing with me!
Goon: It's more fun with three of us. Right?
Kasumi: Well... I guess...
Hikari: Booooo!
Kasumi: Haha, Hikari votes no.
Kasumi: And I want to head home and change, so...
Goon: It'll be fine! Just for a little bit. Please? Please?
Hikari: Whatever! I'm going home!

Goon: Huh?
Kasumi: Oh dear, you made her angry. This is a little awkward.
Goon: Huh? Why?
Kasumi: You have to think about how Hikari-chan feels every once in a while.
Goon: I gueeeess...
Goon: (I don't get it.)

Hikari crying count: 5

With Hikari out of the way, time to wait for the next event of the day: a girl arrives at the park shortly afterward.

Akane: Hey. Hey! You. Wanna play with me?
Goon: Yeah, sure. What do you wanna play?
Akane: Ummm... house!
Goon: Th, that's embarrassing, no way!
Akane: No it's not! You're gonna play house with me!

Translator's note: Akane uses "boku" as her first person pronoun, which is a very tomboyish term to use. Only two girls in the Tokimemo series use it... well, three if you include Rei, who is a special case.

Akane: Here you go! Eat up, dear!
Goon: Okay! *gulp, gulp*
Akane: What a great appetite! All boys should eat like that.
Goon: My mom doesn't say that.
Akane: Mine does all the time.
Akane: Whatever, just say "mm-hmm."
Goon: M... mm-hmm.
Akane: Yeah, just like that!
Goon: So what now?
Akane: I say "The bath is ready!"

Akane: Oh, I have to go home now.
Akane: Bye-bye, see you! Let's play again!
Goon: Okay, bye-bye!

Childhood promises: 2

The third event of the day requires waiting around in Hibikino Shrine until Miho arrives.

Goon: (Huh? It's a girl. I wonder what she's praying for?)

Miho: God, this is all I want. Let me meet a handsome prince.
Goon: Want me to do that for you?
Miho: Huh? Who're you?

Goon: Me? I'm a prince.
Miho: ...You heard me?
Goon: Yup.
Miho: Oh... oh noooo!

After this conversation, Miho takes off at a dead run and you can't catch up to her. Especially since this section was designed by the Super Smash Brothers Brawl guys, and sometimes you faceplant for no reason when you're trying to run.

Next stop: the candy store, where Miyuki awaits.

Goon: Should I should buy some Super Soldier Dragon chocolate?
Miyuki: Hey oba-chan, give me some Space Idol Love-Love Star chocolate, please!
Goon: Super Soldier Dragon chocolate for me.

Dog: Yipe! Yipe!

Miyuki: WAAAAAAHHHH! He stole my Love-Love Star chocolate!
Goon: ....here, have half of mine.
Miyuki: Really?
Goon: Yeah. Here.

Miyuki: Ehehe, thanks! I really wanted Love-Love Star, but this tastes good too!

Let's just ignore the fact that the dog that stole her chocolate might die...

Miyuki: Oh, I have to go! Bye! Thanks!
Goon: Bye-bye.

The last event of Day 2 requires stalking following Akane to the shopping district, waiting for her to start clutching a giant shopping bag the size of her chest, and then talking to her.

Goon: That looks heavy. I'll carry it for you!
Akane: Really? Thanks.

Akane: Wow, you're strong.
Akane: You're like my big brother!

After carrying Akane's groceries halfway across town...

Akane: Thanks a lot. My house is close by, so I'll be fine from here.
Goon: Okay, be careful.
Akane: Thanks! See you later, bye-bye!

At this point, Kasumi comes and chases you down, which ends day 2 in the same way as day 1.

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Feb 20, 2014

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Prologue: Raising the Flags of Childhood, part 2

3/29/1992: Day 3.

Goon: Option 2: No, I'll play by myself.
Hikari: Booooo! Fine, whatever!

The first event of day 3 involves waiting for Homura to chase Akane into the library.

Goon: Whoa!
Akane: If someone comes looking for me, will you keep quiet?
Goon: O, okay...

Homura: Hey, did you see a girl come by just a second ago?
Goon: Nope.
Homura: Shoot, where'd she go...?

Special note: Everyone other than Akane and Kasumi has actually been labeled "Girl" so far - I've only been naming them for convenience. However, 8-year-old Homura gets tagged as "Boy". Welp.

Akane: Thanks. If you see her again, keep quiet, okay?
Goon: Um, okay. But why?
Akane: It's a secret. Bye!

The second event of the day takes place at the river bank with Miho.

Goon: What're you doing?
Miho: Planting flowers.
Miho: Wanna help me?
Goon: Sure.

Dawwwww

Miho: A whole lot of pretty flowers will bloom for sure.
Goon: That sounds really cool.
Miho: This will be a secret only the three of us know.
Goon: Three of us?
Miho: Me, you, and Kero-chan. Don't tell anyone else about this! No one else, promise?
Goon: Yeah, I promise!
Miho: Good, see you later!
Goon: Bye-bye!

Translator's note: Kero is the Japanese onomatopoeia for a frog croaking. Also, childhood promises: 3

For the next event, you have to run straight to Hibikino shrine, and pull a fortune while Miyuki is nearby. She'll run into you.

Miyuki: Oops! Sorry!
Goon: Hey, you dropped your fortune. Here.
Miyuki: Oh, thanks. Bye!

Goon: ...Worst luck. I didn't look hard, but I feel like it was different before...
Miyuki: Wow! I... I did it! I did it!

After Miyuki happily skips home, Homura shows up at the riverbank and starts running around.

Homura: Hey! I'm glad you're here. I'm bored, so let's play!
Goon: Yeah, okay. What do you want to do?
Homura: Let's play Super Soldier Dragon. I'll be Dragon, you'll be the monster.
Goon: What? No way! I wanna be Dragon too!
Homura: When I'm done, we'll switch.
Goon: Okay, I'll do it. But you have to switch.
Homura: Sure, sure. Let's do it!

Time passes.

Goon: I have to go home soon.
Homura: Awww, man!
Dog: Yipe yipe!
Homura: Huh? Hey, Robo! Over here!

Homura: Did you come to get me?
Robo: Yipe yipe!
Goon: Aww man, I want a dog.
Homura: Hehe, Robo's my best friend!

Holy crap, the eyebrows on that dog.

Homura: Bye! Let's play again!
Robo: Yipe yipe!

And then, right as day 3 ends...

Goon: Oh, there's a festival today. I should head home.

Hikari: Gunma-chan. Let's go to the festival!
Goon: O, okay.
Hikari: Hurry, hurry!

Goon: It sure is busy here. Where should we start?
Goon: ...Huh? Hikari-chan?
Hikari: Look! There're so many pretty things here!

Goon: What're you looking at?
Hikari: This is so cute!
Goon: You're right.
Goon: ... Okay! I'll buy it for you.
Hikari: What? But...
Goon: It's fine. I brought my allowance.

Goon: ... (There isn't much left anymore.)
Hikari: ...Sorry.
Goon: Uh-uh, don't be sorry. You wanted it, didn't you?

Hikari: Yeah!
Hikari: I'll treasure it forever! Thanks...

Childhood promises: 1,003

3/30/1992: Day 4

Goon: Option 2: No, I'll play by myself.
Hikari: Booooo! Fine, whatever!

Day 4 is light on events because it's kind of a catch-up day. However, after stalking Mei for a while, she finally stops at the riverbank.

Mei: Hey, nii-chan, what're you doing?
Goon: Huh? M, me?
Mei: Uh-huh.
Goon: I'm just playing around.
Mei: Ohhhh?
Mei: ...Are you having fun?
Goon: Yeah. ...Wanna play with me?
Mei: What? Is, is that okay?
Goon: Yeah, of course!

Goon: It's getting dark. Won't your mom get angry if you don't go home soon?
Mei: ...It's fine.
Goon: Really?
Mei: I said it's fine!
???: ...-sama! Mei-sama!
???: Where are you?
Goon: Huh? Is that...
Mei: No! I want to play more with Onii-chan!

Goon: We'll play again some time.
Mei: Again? For sure?
Mei: For sure! Promise!
Goon: Uh-huh, I promise.

Childhood promises: 1,004

Goon: Okay, see you soon!
Mei: Yeah, see you soon, onii-chan!

The only other event for the day is a brush with one of the secret characters, Kudanshita Maika. To see it, you have to to ignore the local policeman's instructions and play in the river where it's dangerous.

Goon: What a big river. I have to be careful not to fall in.

Goon: Help! Somebody, help!

If you time it right, Mei just runs on by like she doesn't care. It's kind of hilarious.

???: *humming to herself* W, what?
Goon: Somebody, help me!
???: Oh no! Hang on, kid!

???: Whew. Are you alright?
Goon: *sniffle, sniffle*
???: If you can cry, you should be okay.
???: Later, kid. Be careful!
Goon: Whoa...
Goon: (Th, thanks, Onee-san...)

3/31/1992: Childhood's End.

Goon: Huh? Hikari-chan, Kasumi-oneechan, what're you doing here?
Kasumi: I was thinking the three of us could go to the amusement park today.
Goon: Whoa, really?!
Kasumi: Yeah, your mom asked me to.
Hikari: Gunma-chan, let's go! Hurry!

Hikari: Yaaay, the amusement park!
Kasumi: Hey, slow down, you two.
Kasumi: What do you want to ride?

It doesn't matter what to choose here, you ride both no matter what.

Option 1: The Ferris Wheel
Hikari: Yeah! Let's go, Gunma-chan!

Kasumi: We're gonna be really high up, will you be okay, Hikari-chan?
Hikari: I'll be fine~
Kasumi: Gunma-kun, what about you?
Goon: I'll be fine!
Kasumi: Okay, let's get on the ride.

Hikari: That was awesome! Did you see your house?
Goon: Yeah! I saw your house too, Hikari-chan.
Hikari: Hehehe, you looked for it~. Yay!
Kasumi: Hehe, good for you, Hikari-chan.
Goon: Okay, let's go to the merry-go-round next.
Hikari: Yeah! Let's go, Gunma-chan!
Kasumi: Okay, slow down, you two.

Kasumi: Let's get on the pumpkin carriage.
Hikari: Okay!

Kasumi: Did you guys have fun?
Hikari: Yeah, I had a lot of fun!
Goon: Me too!
Kasumi: Good.
Kasumi: Okay, we should head home soon.
Hikari: What? It's over already? I wanna play more!
Goon: Me too!
Kasumi: If we stay out too late, your moms will worry.
Goon: But...
Kasumi: Oh, before we're done, we should take a picture with all three of us.
Hikari: A picture?
Kasumi: Yes.
Kasumi: Are you two ready?
Kasumi: Okay, say cheese...

No, he doesn't have eyes. Yes, it was a common convention of the time, to allow for easier self-insertion. Yes, it does look silly these days.

Goon: Today was so much fun! We took a picture with all three of us! And then! And then!
Mom: ......
Goon: What? We're moving? Why?
Goon: What? WHY? WHY? WHY?!
Goon: No! I don't wanna! I don't wanna say bye to Hikari-chan and Kasumi-oneechan!

And the next day...

Kasumi: Well, take care.
Goon: Okay...
Kasumi: Hey, Hikari-chan... you need to say goodbye... okay?
Hikari: ...
Goon: ... Hikari-chan... bye-bye...

Hikari crying count: 6

Next time: 7 years later. Cue the opening song!

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 19, 2014

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

So you just come home one day and you're mom's like "Hey we're moving tomorrow! Say bye to all your friends!"

No wonder he does nothing but play video games.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Well, I expected they would use this type of plot in one of the games, didn't think they would just plop it down right here on number two.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I'm already glad we're not going for Hikari. That was ridiculously stereotypical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I don't know why Goon and Hikari keep sneezing after they say Kasumi's name. Must be one of those Pavlovian things.

• Locked thread