Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

The Sharmat posted:

There are cold deserts.

I know, but when something is labeled a "desert" on a map, people usually mean the hot variety. Is there an instance in real life where a frozen desert was labeled a desert on a map? That'd be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Started playing through Witcher 2 again and I've been having a lot of crashes to desktop without an error message. Anybody have any fixes for this? I have all graphic options turned up to max except for v-sync and texture memory, Windows 7.

Also for those who are interested, the next English translation of the novels is coming out Feb 20th in the UK. You can get it on AmazonUK.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

PureRok posted:

Is there an instance in real life where a frozen desert was labeled a desert on a map? That'd be cool.

Gobi Desert comes to mind although it can also get pretty warm in the summers. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gobi_Desert#Climate

ya got moxie kid!
Apr 22, 2006
what

PureRok posted:

I know, but when something is labeled a "desert" on a map, people usually mean the hot variety. Is there an instance in real life where a frozen desert was labeled a desert on a map? That'd be cool.

There's the Rangipo Desert in New Zealand, which sorta qualifies. The road running through often gets closed in winter due to how cold it gets.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Technically parts of the arctic are a desert as they get less than 10 inches of precipitation a year http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_the_Arctic#Precipitation

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Demiurge4 posted:

I had forgotten how horrific the pogrom against the mages and sorcerers is

I didn't remember it being that bad. Then I played through it with the Enhanced Edition :ohdear:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah, they were really good at making the choices sting. Should be some real doozies in the next game.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

Yeah, they were really good at making the choices sting. Should be some real doozies in the next game.

It's really a great choice. Because on one hand some of the mages really do want a proper conclave with controls so they can practice their magic in relative safety for the good of the north, and they all end up dying because of the lodge which is a relatively tiny group within the whole. On the other hand you have Broche and you feel you need to save the little girl. I honestly feel that saving Triss is probably the better choice overall because it's the more callous one with real benefits. I don't think saving Anais will actually have a great impact on the political situation of the north.

poo poo I might just go back and save Triss. But Broche :(

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Screw all that. All hail Queen Saskia.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Oh and btw, what the hell did I win for finishing the game in Dark Mode?

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Pity from people who have lives and value things more than bideyo games.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

It's really a great choice. Because on one hand some of the mages really do want a proper conclave with controls so they can practice their magic in relative safety for the good of the north, and they all end up dying because of the lodge which is a relatively tiny group within the whole. On the other hand you have Broche and you feel you need to save the little girl. I honestly feel that saving Triss is probably the better choice overall because it's the more callous one with real benefits. I don't think saving Anais will actually have a great impact on the political situation of the north.

poo poo I might just go back and save Triss. But Broche :(

And if you do so on the Iorveth path, you can still get the dagger from the guys that caught him. Might be tricky to use, though

"Why did you try to murder our queen, witcher?!"

"Um... I was trying to break a mind controlling interspecies lesbian love spell? So stabbing her was a good thing!"

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I love how spiteful Philippa is. "No really guys, you have to stab her in the HEART for it to work. No other way. Would I lie to you?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

The Sharmat posted:

I love how spiteful Philippa is. "No really guys, you have to stab her in the HEART for it to work. No other way. Would I lie to you?
Part of me thinks it would've been funny if they actually gave you choice of touching her with the dagger or stabbing her in the heart, the latter resulting in her death. I'm sure I would've been pissed at the game if that happened.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Feb 5, 2014

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Well Iorveth outright says that would be incredibly stupid.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

quote:

11 bit studios Hires The Witcher's Lead Gameplay Designer Maciej Szczesnik and Gameplay Producer Marek Ziemak

After years of working on The Witcher franchise, lead gameplay designer Maciej Szczesnik and gameplay producer Marek Ziemak have joined 11 bit studios. "I'm absolutely looking forward to working here," said Maciej Szczesnik, who will be the lead designer of a new game in development at 11 bit. "I'll be responsible for the entire design of a game that took shape in my imagination. It's a really exciting feeling to create a new world from scratch, make its characters and rules and to know that I have this blank page to fill with my ideas and then bring them to life."

Marek Ziemak's role will be announced soon, alongside news about the exciting projects the 11 bit team is working on. Marek says, "I've been watching the indie-game scene for quite some time and I love its creativity and freshness. Without going into details, expect some hot news from us around March." Grzegorz Miechowski, managing director at 11 bit studios adds, "We make games in small teams where creative input is the key. It's great to have these two talented guys on board. This absolutely takes 11 bit to a new level."

Stay tuned for more news from 11 bit studios and its upcoming games.

About 11 bit

We are 11 bit studios – a game development company based in Warsaw, Poland, Europe, Planet Earth. Guided by an experienced management team, our goal is to create exciting games for all kind of gamers – hardcore players, as well as those who play on occasion – and to make the games easily available through digital distribution. The head concept behind our development is to devise unique and pioneering gameplay ideas, and to implement and deliver them to all main gaming platforms: consoles, computers and handhelds. Find more at https://www.11bitstudios.com

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/press...arek_Ziemak.php

Polish websites say the move was due to burnout from the new AAA style of development at CD Projekt Red and a desire to work on other types of games. During the Witcher 3's development, they stayed long enough to oversee the transfer of their duties to other CDPR employees people.

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good

PureRok posted:

PureRok posted:

That'd be cool.

:rimshot:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I've finally gotten around to playing through Assassins of Kings on the Roche path several years after my initial Iorveth playthrough, and I keep discovering new ways in which it's a great game. Witcher 3 hype levels are going to approach the unbearable by the time this is through.

But in the end I have only one supreme hope: please, please, let Geralt's piece of poo poo tattoo persist into Witcher 3. This is my greatest gaming wish. I'm not having it removed CDProjekt, the ball is in your court :colbert:

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Feb 7, 2014

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
:siren:HOLY poo poo:siren:

The Witcher is on sale for :monocle:$1.99:monocle: and Witcher 2 is :monocle:$3.99:monocle: on Steam through Monday! WASHINGTON DIED SPECIFICALLY FOR THIS SALE, SO BUY IT TO CELEBRATE HIM

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Coughing Hobo posted:

:siren:HOLY poo poo:siren:

The Witcher is on sale for :monocle:$1.99:monocle: and Witcher 2 is :monocle:$3.99:monocle: on Steam through Monday! WASHINGTON DIED SPECIFICALLY FOR THIS SALE, SO BUY IT TO CELEBRATE HIM

:siren:It's also having a free weekend:siren:

So no excuses, try before you buy!

I really really hope that this is happening because pre-orders for Witcher 3 are about to begin.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

So, I've had this game rotting in my collection way too long without playing it through. Partially because when I started last playthrough combat rebalance mod came out and I figured I might as well wait for a bit longer to see if it'll be polished enough in time. OP and the last few pages don't say much. Are there game-breaking bugs? Witcher 2 combat always felt kind of "delayed" for a lack of a better word (I hardly played it much, but still..) So I figure I might as well play through it with the mod as long as it works properly.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 15, 2014

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
I tried out and bought both Witcher games and I have one overriding thought: The Witcher 2 is one of the most improved sequels of an already good game. I'm reminded of Assassin's Creed, where the first game was alright for its time, but then AC2 came along and made it seem like a tech demo in comparison.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

William Bear posted:

I tried out and bought both Witcher games and I have one overriding thought: The Witcher 2 is one of the most improved sequels of an already good game. I'm reminded of Assassin's Creed, where the first game was alright for its time, but then AC2 came along and made it seem like a tech demo in comparison.

No kidding, I thought Witcher I looked and played like crap but when I booted up Witcher II I was blown away.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So I bought both games in the steam sale and I figure I should at least try and blow through the first one, if only to get a better picture of the story. Any essentially mods for it? Or any to just make it less tedious to play through?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

The Iron Rose posted:

So I bought both games in the steam sale and I figure I should at least try and blow through the first one, if only to get a better picture of the story. Any essentially mods for it? Or any to just make it less tedious to play through?

Set it to easy, and remember that while you have your silver sword drawn in speed stance you move faster than normal. The other big trick to the swamps is to just do everything in town first before heading there, so you can knock out as many quests at once as possible. You can buy a Red Ribbon charm that reduces the number of drowners that show up too which helps a little. It's always pretty time consuming your first time through though until you know the layout, but just try and power through it as best you can.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Trying to play this and I'm pretty sure I have mouse soothing turned on our somethin g, trying to move my mouse around is an ordeal in menus, is very slow and jittery and unresponsive. Any ideas how to fix it?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Mr. Crow posted:

Trying to play this and I'm pretty sure I have mouse soothing turned on our somethin g, trying to move my mouse around is an ordeal in menus, is very slow and jittery and unresponsive. Any ideas how to fix it?

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any fix for the way the mouse behaves in the menus. Fortunately, in-game there's no mouse smoothing or acceleration.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
So is it impossible to finish the quest "A Sackfull of Fluff" once you cross back to the military camp from Vergen. I began the quest to dispel the mist/fog/whatever and I just got a bunch of 'Quest Failed' messages for no apparent reason, but before I'd tried to cross the mist again and the priest's amulet didn't protect me.

I'm starting to wonder if the game has lost something in translation, because I always feel like the characters don't know things that I've already inferred, but then have knowledge that the game hasn't explained to me yet. Like, the dead king's son, Boussy is alive in the Prologue and as far as I could tell was never seen or mentioned again, but then suddenly someone casually mentions that he's dead and nobody seems surprised by this knowledge.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Chaltab posted:

I'm starting to wonder if the game has lost something in translation, because I always feel like the characters don't know things that I've already inferred, but then have knowledge that the game hasn't explained to me yet. Like, the dead king's son, Boussy is alive in the Prologue and as far as I could tell was never seen or mentioned again, but then suddenly someone casually mentions that he's dead and nobody seems surprised by this knowledge.

I never noticed this, but it's pretty funny now that you've pointed it out.

Jimmy Noskill
Nov 5, 2010

Prior to the extended edition, Boussy's status is a complete mystery. They finally address it in the third act of Roche's path.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Jimmy Noskill posted:

Prior to the extended edition, Boussy's status is a complete mystery. They finally address it in the third act of Roche's path.

That's the sidequest with the two barons or whatever, and you find proof that one ordered the attack on the caravan and the boy died accidentally?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

The Sharmat posted:

Well Iorveth outright says that would be incredibly stupid.

Now I feel silly, because when I played through that segment all I could think was "Hold up, Geralt did it wrong!" I assumed CDP just didn't have time to make an animation for the heart-stabbing, so it's actually pretty cool that it can play as disregarding Philippa's instructions.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Eddain posted:

That's the sidequest with the two barons or whatever, and you find proof that one ordered the attack on the caravan and the boy died accidentally?
If I remember correctly, one baron had ordered an attack with plans to kill the boy, but his plan was interrupted by the other baron's plan to attack the caravan and abduct the children, but then the boy died accidentally.

Cheston posted:

Now I feel silly, because when I played through that segment all I could think was "Hold up, Geralt did it wrong!" I assumed CDP just didn't have time to make an animation for the heart-stabbing, so it's actually pretty cool that it can play as disregarding Philippa's instructions.

Philippa enchanting the dagger with a dual purpose (counterspell and single-blow kill) makes a lot of sense, I figure she would've seen the need to have the means to swiftly eliminate her if something went wrong.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 18, 2014

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.

Lycus posted:

Philippa enchanting the dagger with a dual purpose (counterspell and single-blow kill) makes a lot of sense, I figure she would've seen the need to have the means to swiftly eliminate her if something went wrong.

Her trying to get them to kill Saskia, seems like it would be out of character though. She's never seen to be vindictive and killing Saskia wouldn't serve any political goal.

Without a figurehead she has no way to control upper aedirn anyways; they won't accept a lesbomancer as their ruler and she has no suitable backup puppet. Saskia herself isn't particularly vindictive, so Eilhart has no real fear of reprisals from her. Especially considering that (possibly) Stennis is king of Aedirn, beloved by the people, and not a fan of Saskia. The only people she might fear would be from Iorveth and Geralt. Neither of which have that strong of a motivation to chase her down and kill her, so long as she doesn't lie to them and kill Saskia. Geralt would be more busy chasing Yennifer, and Iorveth would be busy helping Saskia fight Nilfgaard soldiers.

Even if she was 100% planning on escaping before they killed Saskia as per her instructions, the death would serve no practical purpose. And she would have to be looking over her shoulder constantly for that arrow from the guy who's only purpose in life before he found Saskia was revenge at any cost.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I never meant vindictive. Calculated. That's not out of character. If things have gone wrong enough that the whole plan had to be abandoned, then a dead dragon is better than a live dragon that might someday have its spell broken and come looking for you. Lack of army isn't really important, the scary parts are the flying, claws, teeth and fire.

Besides, if one purpose of the dagger wasn't to kill her if it pierced the heart, then what was the point of that dialogue where Philippa emphasized that that was Geralt was required to do (and Iorveth's subsequent skeptical comment)?

Lycus fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 18, 2014

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.

Lycus posted:

I never meant vindictive. Calculated. That's not out of character. If things have gone wrong enough that the whole plan had to be abandoned, then a dead dragon is better than a live dragon that might someday have its spell broken and come looking for you. Lack of army isn't really important, the scary parts are the flying, claws, teeth and fire.

Phillipa is one person and can easily hide in cities or practically anywhere she wants to. Saskia has a new found kingdom to run. One that still faces danger of collapse without her as a figurehead. The rest of Aedirn wants to retake the land and Nilfgaard is coming. And its surrounded by other kings who might want to make forrays to take it as well. She can't afford to start burning cities in an effort to get Eilhart, she has to be there in Upper Aedirn, setting the foundations of her kingdom. Training a new army, setting up laws, keeping the peace between disparate factions.

And I don't really see that as a calculated smart decision. Phillipa isn't a fool and even as outlawed as Iorveth is, all it would take is a second for him to kill her from 50-60 yards away. And he would stalk her for the rest of her life, which would be lived in constant paranoia.

Lycus posted:

Besides, if one purpose of the dagger wasn't to kill her if it pierced the heart, then what was the point of that dialogue where Philippa emphasized that that was Geralt was required to do (and Iorveth's subsequent skeptical comment)?

Not everything that's said has a direct effect on the plot. Sometimes a character just wants to explain how something is 'like loving a cat with an anvil.' It gives a glimpse of what the world and it's people are like without furthering anything really. Just like how Yarpin exclaiming "lesbomancy" doesn't(probably) mean that there's an actual school of magic called Lesbomancy; just that he is something of a vocal perv.

Nilfgaard executed 53/54 of Iorveth's friends at the Ravine of the Hydra. Only he and one other escaped the betrayal. When Geralt first meets him he can talk a bunch to lure Iorveth into lowering his guard before bam shooting a spell at him to try to capture him. Letho betrays him, kills one of his unit commanders, and plans to kill Iorveth(who's failure to catch the deception results in a ton of his friends and soldiers.) When he agrees to take part in Geralt's deception of Letho it is only after he explains that Geralt is surrounded and they will torture him to death horrifically if Geralt kills Iorveth. Phillipa betrays him as well and spirits away after the battle with a brainwashed Saskia.

In the case of Philippa and Iorveth's "subsequent skeptical comment." It shows exactly that. He's skeptical. He's been betrayed so many times and has become so world weary that he believes everything is a trick. He is the most betrayed character in the entire game, and he shows it by expecting to be lied to and tricked at every turn. Eilhart has already betrayed him earlier, so it's perfect characterization for him to immediately assume that she's lying to him again to kill the girl he's in love with.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

But she was lying. Geralt didn't need to stab her in heart at all. So Philippa making the dagger capable of killing Saskia seems to be simple and logical reason why'd she say that, that's all.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I think Triss said it pretty explicitly: Philippa is a control freak. No loose ends. Better a dead dragon than one outside her control.

EDIT: Also, RE: Philippa living in constant paranoid fear of Iorveth if Saskia died...the games do sort of fail in getting across just how powerful a truly old mage is in this setting. In the games you just dodge their fireballs, get up close, and wail on them.. When Geralt tried this on a particularly powerful sorcerer in the books, he got the living poo poo kicked out of him, in hand to hand combat. The guy magicked himself up to hit like a tank and move like a jaguar, and he utterly humiliated Geralt before breaking a quarter of the bones in his body with no particular effort.

Now, a mage can still be taken by surprise of course, but I suspect there are security measures that can be taken...and at that point, Philppa was likely to have to go into hiding anyway.

Finally...Philippa is a reflexive schemer. I don't think she's ever not living in paranoid fear of some hidden plot or enemy getting the better of her.

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 19, 2014

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006

Lycus posted:

But she was lying. Geralt didn't need to stab her in heart at all. So Philippa making the dagger capable of killing Saskia seems to be simple and logical reason why'd she say that, that's all.

I dunno there's just too many weird little innocuous things that feel like mistranslations to me or changes in the story that they simply didn't go back and fix afterwards. It feels more like they added the lines then then went, wait we want Geralt to have to fight a dragon as a section boss. Storyboarded out the whole dragon impaling itself and then realized it would take way too much animation and also the dagger wasn't long enough to get in to the heart anyways, so they just went screw it.

It just feels more like retconning during the dev process to me then it does an actual conscious decision by the writers. There's all kind of little innocuous things that aren't really explained all that well. Like how if you follow Roche's path and then dare to say "we gotta save Triss" all the NPCs are like "if you wanted to go get Triss you should have gone with Iorveth you idiot." Well great, I wish someone had told me that in the first place when I was actually making the decision. Or like how Stennis' guilt is left completely open to argument, as the facts don't actually conclude anything. But Geralt later just straight up declares in a cutscene that Stennis is totally and absolutely a weaselly little poisoner who tried to kill Saskia.

Edit: Also its worth noting that the original spell to bind Saskia totally involved stabbing her in the heart.

COOKIEMONSTER fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Feb 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
With a syringe, not a dagger.

There's too many little things in the game to me that suggest the story was all thoroughly pre-planned to believe that wasn't deliberate characterization.

Also I went with Iorveth my first time precisely because it seemed like the fastest way to get to Triss, so...

• Locked thread