Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
If you are the de jure ruler of a title and you push someone's claim on it, then provided it's of a lower rank than your title (which it sounds like it is) it will become part of your realm. The same rules apply to any land, whether a de jure part of your realm or not, if: the person whose claim you're pushing is already landed, or the person whose claim you're pushing is of your dynasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Do Holy Orders get special rules on who their de jure liege is? I've got two different Orders ruling land in Hispania and even though I control their de jure duchy, kingdom, and empire titles they're still giving me "Not my de jure liege" and refusing to accept vassalization.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

CapnAndy posted:

Do Holy Orders get special rules on who their de jure liege is? I've got two different Orders ruling land in Hispania and even though I control their de jure duchy, kingdom, and empire titles they're still giving me "Not my de jure liege" and refusing to accept vassalization.

I don't think it's a special rule for Holy Orders, but as a titular title with no land attached the Holy Orders have no de jure liege.

What I find annoying is that an independent duke (let's say the Duke of Holland) where I have vassalized the associated kingdom (Frisia) will still refuse to accept vassalization from me based on "not my de jure liege"...

dogsarentdangerous
Aug 11, 2008

Allyn posted:

If you are the de jure ruler of a title and you push someone's claim on it, then provided it's of a lower rank than your title (which it sounds like it is) it will become part of your realm. The same rules apply to any land, whether a de jure part of your realm or not, if: the person whose claim you're pushing is already landed, or the person whose claim you're pushing is of your dynasty.

Torrannor posted:

De jure wars will ALWAYS net you one single county, never more. Claim wars on the other hand are different. If you press the claim on a duchy that is de jure part of your kingdom, then the new duke (or duchess in your case) will become your vassal. So yes, press the claim of one of your claimants.

Thanks for the answers,

I have two claimants in my court, but their claims don't come up in the war reasons list. The Duchess in question is currently rebelling against her liege lord (She's York, I'm England, the liege lord in question is Ireland). Is that because their claims are weak. Its really confusing me because I'm sure I've pulled off similar claimant grabs in the past and I cant work out why the option to press the claimants isn't coming up this time.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

If memory serves you should always be able to push weak claims against a female ruler, so that sounds... odd. Succession law hasn't been changed by her to agnatic (not agnatic-cognatic) or anything weird? The women are eligible to hold a title (i.e. not a nun)? Dunno what else it could be...

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

ulmont posted:

I don't think it's a special rule for Holy Orders, but as a titular title with no land attached the Holy Orders have no de jure liege.

What I find annoying is that an independent duke (let's say the Duke of Holland) where I have vassalized the associated kingdom (Frisia) will still refuse to accept vassalization from me based on "not my de jure liege"...
Yeah, this is closer to the second example. One of the orders holds Leon, for example -- they have castles there and pressed a claim war, Leon is their county. I hold the duchy and kingdom of Leon and the empire of Hispania, and they're still giving me "not my de jure liege" and I can't even de jure claim CB them. It's annoying.

dogsarentdangerous
Aug 11, 2008

Allyn posted:

If memory serves you should always be able to push weak claims against a female ruler, so that sounds... odd. Succession law hasn't been changed by her to agnatic (not agnatic-cognatic) or anything weird? The women are eligible to hold a title (i.e. not a nun)? Dunno what else it could be...

Think I've worked it out - tooltip says "Female rulers if the claimant is male". All my claimants are women (In fact all the claimants for York are women). I also thought that because York is at war that mean's I could push my (courtiers) weak rear end claim, but according to the tool tip it has to be the title that is being contested, not just a war.

TLDR: Thanks for the answers, but I've been wasting your time!

Zaleov
Dec 11, 2005

NAM OT NWONK AIXELSYD LABREV FO ESAC EREVES TSOM EHT EVAH UOY

Allyn posted:

Weak claims can be pressed against women generally, UNLESS the claimant is also a woman. I also don't think an independence war is a reason to press a weak claim. I can't check right now, but I believe you need a succession war over the claim in question to press a weak claim (if it's not in regency).

Edit: The upshot is, if the title holder's heir is a child, stab her, and boom, press the weak claim.

Edit #2: ^^ Yep, you beat me to it.

Zaleov fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 18, 2014

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, this is closer to the second example. One of the orders holds Leon, for example -- they have castles there and pressed a claim war, Leon is their county. I hold the duchy and kingdom of Leon and the empire of Hispania, and they're still giving me "not my de jure liege" and I can't even de jure claim CB them. It's annoying.

You need to either be same culture + same religion, or a de jure Emperor if they are a Duke. It sounds like they have a court established already so this probably won't work, but what I did for the Jomsvikings is give them the Kingdom of Galicia while being the Emperor of Hispania. This changed their primary title to be a kingdom, which follows normal succession mechanics. I then stabbed him while the game was paused (so they had no court and I was the heir), and I then inherited the Jomsviking title.

I'm pretty sure that would work with any of the various holy orders, but if they have a large realm already they might have heirs internally that would inherit instead of you. It's at least worth a try if you're not playing ironman.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

CapnAndy posted:

You ARE not their de jure liege. As long as their highest title is a duchy, then their primary title will be the titular duchy of the Knights of Calatrava/Santiago, which has no de jure liege. But they will still accept to become your vassals if:

1. You are an emperor.
2. You have the same culture (!) and religion as they have.
3. They like you.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Their highest level title is a county, not a duchy. If that changes anything.

Or, wait, is what you're saying that the Holy Order itself is a duchy-level title, so even though they have a county in my lands they have a duchy in nobody's lands that's superceding that, and that's why I'm not their de jure liege? That actually makes sense.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

The holy order title itself is a duchy, that's their highest level title, not the county.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
New version of the Game of Thrones mod is up. Looks pretty cool

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?756819-RELEASE-A-Game-of-Thrones-v0.6

quote:

Version 0.6
===============
- Dothraki now fully playable- please see manual for details
- Dragons are now characters rather than traits. Most events and decisions reworked to reflect this. other Dragon changes include:
- Unlanded Dragon Riders can now can on duchy adventures
- Dragon riders can now choose sides in mega wars like small Lords
- Revamped dragon duels, there can now be multiple dragons on each side and they are also more deadly

Events, jobs, plots and decisions:
- Added an ambition to 'Expand realm by Conquest', possibly giving an indepedent ruler with no special invasion CBs a chance to launch a once in a lifetime invasion
- Removed expand demesne size ambitions
- Passing through the Sorrows now carries a chance of contracting Greyscale
- If an Andal Lord assimilates to a local Northman culture they will now change to Half Southrons
- Added more events for the Dance of the Dragons scenario
- Added events for Westfords and dog companions to the skinchanger events
- Added some more flavour to the Old Races events
- It is now possible to make an offer for a partiular slave by personal interaction
- The rescue prisoner plot can now be used for slaves
- Pirate, Free Cities and Qartheen characters can now take concubines
- Tyroshi and Lysene patricians who meet certain requirements will now get the option to adopt the pirate religion, will cause an opinion malus with fellow non-pirate patricians and family members...

dogsarentdangerous
Aug 11, 2008
My Problems solved themselves!

I decided to war dec york and grab their best county (York). So the Duchess of York capitulated to Ireland, presumably to end the war. The King of Ireland threw her in jail, and all of a sudden I can press my claimants claim. Although admittedly against Super-Ireland rather than just York, but they are just coming out of a brutal independence war so nothing can possiblieay go wrong.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

CapnAndy posted:

Or, wait, is what you're saying that the Holy Order itself is a duchy-level title, so even though they have a county in my lands they have a duchy in nobody's lands that's superceding that, and that's why I'm not their de jure liege? That actually makes sense.

That is correct. All holy orders and mercenary companies are titular duchies. And all religious head titles (Fylkirate, Caliphate etc.) are titular duchies as well, except for the Papacy and the Ecumenical Patriarchate.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Okay, so I'll just give the next duchy I conquer to my troublesome Holy Orders. That's not so bad.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
How do I prevent Kingdom titles from being created once they are wiped out? In my current game the Kingdom of Portugal was fully integrated into the Kingdom of Andalucia, but despite the fact that Portugal has no vassals my vassal the Queen of Andalucia is able to create the titular kingdom, which causes problems if someone makes a war for the kingdom of Andalucia against her.

CapnAndy posted:

Okay, so I'll just give the next duchy I conquer to my troublesome Holy Orders. That's not so bad.

I'm pretty sure you'll still have the penalty because their primary title will still be the holy order, which will still not be your de jure vassal.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

CapnAndy posted:

That won't work either though? I'm pretty sure Holy Order titles are flagged so they'll always take precedence over other titles of similar rank, and the de jure liege check goes by primary title. They might change their primary title if tthey had a kingdom, but then they still won't accept diplovassalization because Kings auto-reject it.

Your best bet is to try and maximize other factors - cultural unity, same dysnasty, good opinion, and hope for the best.

Similarly for ulmont: even if you've vassalized the kingdom of Frisia, you won't count as the duchy of Holland's De Jure liege unless Frisia has de jure drifted into your empire (the King of Frisia would, but the duchy probably won't accept a diplovassalization from them because they're only one tier up.)

Reveilled posted:

How do I prevent Kingdom titles from being created once they are wiped out? In my current game the Kingdom of Portugal was fully integrated into the Kingdom of Andalucia, but despite the fact that Portugal has no vassals my vassal the Queen of Andalucia is able to create the titular kingdom, which causes problems if someone makes a war for the kingdom of Andalucia against her.

You can't: I think you have to hold it yourself if you don't want it created (or, theoretically, gently caress with your vassals to make sure they don't meet whatever requirements might still exist, but since vanilla recently removed most of those requirements it's getting into :effort: territory.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 18, 2014

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Reveilled posted:

I'm pretty sure you'll still have the penalty because their primary title will still be the holy order, which will still not be your de jure vassal.
Fuuuuuck. I'm not sure what option I hate worse, giving some jerks a kingdom just to make my borders prettier or just expelling them.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Dallan Invictus posted:

Similarly for ulmont: even if you've vassalized the kingdom of Frisia, you won't count as the duchy of Holland's De Jure liege unless Frisia has de jure drifted into your empire (the King of Frisia would, but the duchy probably won't accept a diplovassalization from them because they're only one tier up.)
Yeah, I just kept checking back (flagged the ruler as interesting) every time a ruler changed, and eventually they accepted (after which I immediately handed them off to the King of Frisia).

CapnAndy posted:

That's what I was trying to say, but not clearly enough.

On another note, I really hate dejure drift in Spain. By the time I get there, Andalusia typically is over half of the peninsula and every other kingdom has like 4 de jure counties.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
My heir is a genius, however he was brought up in his mother's Swabian court and is now German. I'm the King of England and my succession law is agnatic-cognatic primogeniture. East Francia is elective and it looks like my son is in line to be elected if the king should unfortunately die young. Should I try and make this happen? If he inherits East Francia first won't that be his primary title?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Charlz Guybon posted:

My heir is a genius, however he was brought up in his mother's Swabian court and is now German. I'm the King of England and my succession law is agnatic-cognatic primogeniture. East Francia is elective and it looks like my son is in line to be elected if the king should unfortunately die young. Should I try and make this happen? If he inherits East Francia first won't that be his primary title?
It would be, yeah, but once you're playing as him you could make England your primary again. The big thing to worry about is all the time between his election and when you take over as him, when he'll be totally out of control and doing a bunch of dumb AI King poo poo.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

Yep, that's why when I gave the Holy Order a King level title, it became his primary. Because it's a proper landed title, he then followed normal succession mechanics, and so I was able to inherit all his titles when I stabbed him.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

It would be, yeah, but once you're playing as him you could make England your primary again. The big thing to worry about is all the time between his election and when you take over as him, when he'll be totally out of control and doing a bunch of dumb AI King poo poo.

Well, he already inherited his mother's dukedom and aside from being arbitrary and assassinating a random Karling of no importance he hasn't gone totally crazy yet.

Is there anyway to change him to Anglo-Saxon once he takes over, or is culture forever?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

Is there anyway to change him to Anglo-Saxon once he takes over, or is culture forever?

A ruler can choose to change to his province's culture, and there is also an event that can fire changing your ruler to your capital's culture.

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Your local cheese loving, wooden shoes wearing drug addict.
Hey there fellow baby murderers, today the third dev. diary of Rajas came out. Here's a link to the the one and earlier versions, should you want to see them. I always find them pretty interesting.

Dev. Diary 1 http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?753709-Crusader-Kings-II-Rajas-of-India-Dev-Diary-1-Overview
Dev. Diary 2 http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?755281-Crusader-Kings-II-Rajas-of-India-Dev-Diary-2-Indian-Religion
Dev. Diary 3 http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?756806-Crusader-Kings-II-Rajas-of-India-Dev-Diary-3-Indian-Events-and-Decisions

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

Fuuuuuck. I'm not sure what option I hate worse, giving some jerks a kingdom just to make my borders prettier or just expelling them.

I'm in the same boat as you wrt the Iberian HOs. What I think I'm gonna do, is wait until they get a Basque Grandmaster and then offer vassalisation. The only problem is that I think anyone who becomes GM automatically becomes Castilian, tho not sure of this.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

No, he's wrong. Giving the holy order a duchy in your Empire removes the "de Jure liege" penalty and allows you to vassalize them even if you're wrong culture. I've done it with holy orders of three religions now.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Oh god, the "rebels flocking to their banner" event is horrific when vassal kingdoms are rebelling. The rebelling alliance of France, Bavaria, Italy, Aquataine, Castille, and Scotland just got 126,000 event troops. Will an independence revolt end if my ruler dies? I've got the money to diplo-stab the enemy leader a few times, but those always seem to be a crapshoot with an even chance of killing my own ruler via counterstabs.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yesterday I found out that pressing a claim of one of your vassal's mothers is great because even if they get are independent and then knocked off the throne at your next generation you will have a vassal with a strong claim to whatever the foreign title is and if you press it he will stay your vassal.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

SeaTard posted:

A ruler can choose to change to his province's culture, and there is also an event that can fire changing your ruler to your capital's culture.

Both those events are extremely rare though. Basically, never let potential heirs out of your sight and never let people of other cultures educate them unless you really enjoy -20 foreigner opinion penalties and various other inconveniences.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
It isn't possible to rename armies, is it? That's one thing you can do in EU4 that I really miss in CK2; while renaming levies would be silly, I'd like to be able to rename my retinue stacks so that I can easily spot them on the outliner list.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

They're automatically called "Retinue of <your title & name>" if they have no leader in charge. Alternatively you could put a random courtier with a memorable name in charge of them, I guess :shobon:

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Allyn posted:

Alternatively you could put a random courtier with a memorable name in charge of them, I guess :shobon:

I love this idea, because in real life it would lead to military-inclined courtiers trying to one-up each other with ridiculous names.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Main Paineframe posted:

Oh god, the "rebels flocking to their banner" event is horrific when vassal kingdoms are rebelling. The rebelling alliance of France, Bavaria, Italy, Aquataine, Castille, and Scotland just got 126,000 event troops.

Don't worry about it, the AI is notoriously awful at managing large armies, hence why the Mongol doom stacks are scripted to have no attrition.
The AI will end up attritioning their massive doom stack into a 20k stack very easily.

I had success keeping my army near enough that the AI would prefer to attack my army than assault holdings.

quote:

Will an independence revolt end if my ruler dies?

I don't think so, worse if they win, you may not get a claim on them to take it back.

quote:

I've got the money to diplo-stab the enemy leader a few times, but those always seem to be a crapshoot with an even chance of killing my own ruler via counterstabs.

I've never been counterstabbed, but stabbing the leader is a stop-gap at best unless you're somehow able to change everyone's opinions, since they keep the event troops and the next time they want to start a faction they will hit the threshold quickly and it will all start again, though possibly with different vassals.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Allyn posted:

They're automatically called "Retinue of <your title & name>" if they have no leader in charge. Alternatively you could put a random courtier with a memorable name in charge of them, I guess :shobon:

They were, when they were first introduced, but these days all I see is 'Byzantine Army' or 'British Army' or whatever - and when I put someone in charge it's always 'Army of <name>'. :argh:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Edison was a dick posted:

Don't worry about it, the AI is notoriously awful at managing large armies, hence why the Mongol doom stacks are scripted to have no attrition.
The AI will end up attritioning their massive doom stack into a 20k stack very easily.

Aren't all event troops immune to attrition? I don't think the rebels doom stack, granted by an event, will attrit at all.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I don't like the rebel doomstacks for revolting lords. It would make more sense for more grass roots rebellions to get doomstacks instead, like culture or religious revolts. I don't understand how the Norse Catholic Duke of Damietta for example would convince 20,000 locals to support him, but I can sure see a Sunni Revolt doing that.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Edison was a dick posted:

I had success keeping my army near enough that the AI would prefer to attack my army than assault holdings.

I don't think so, worse if they win, you may not get a claim on them to take it back.

I've never been counterstabbed, but stabbing the leader is a stop-gap at best unless you're somehow able to change everyone's opinions, since they keep the event troops and the next time they want to start a faction they will hit the threshold quickly and it will all start again, though possibly with different vassals.

Stabbing the revolt leader ended up working fine, actually. Turns out my Spymaster had an Intrigue stat of 30, which has been making diplo-assassinations a breeze. I'd wanted to fight it out if I could, for the chance to imprison the rebels and finally revoke those troublesome kingdoms. Sadly, it was taking forever to raise my levies and move them to where they were needed, and in the meantime they were using the event doomstacks to quickly siege down province after province, so my warscore was dropping faster than I could pull it back up and I eventually started stabbing around -80%. The event troops seem to be gone, though it's possible they put them all on the same province in peacetime and let attrition whittle them down to nothing (and the stacks were definitely taking attrition during the war).

I've been counterstabbed before in this game, and it sucked pretty hard since so I've been wary of it. The opinion penalties have mostly taken care of themselves, though - it was mostly just short-reign penalties combined with high taxes my child ruler wasn't allowed to lower. Also, a whole lot of foreigner penalties since just about all the king titles in my realm are held by people of different cultures, but not much I can do about that short of intentionally making them rebel. I've got the "Defending from foreigners" modifier most of the time anyway since I'm getting revolts so often, since heresies are popping up everywhere despite Orthodoxy's maxed-out moral authority and it's impossible for the court chaplains of my realm to keep up with both the conquered foreign territory and the constant heresy spawns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Starting as Ivar the Boneless and getting a 7000 strong Irish Liberation rebellion with heavy cavalry before even 50 years has passed sucks.

• Locked thread