Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Flavahbeast posted:

Here's a few of the more bad ones, I don't know how many of these *require* mis3 and some require other scales but you'll see them a lot more the more misfortune you have

Province revolt: you instantly lose a province without a commander in it, any units rout to adjoining provinces and any PD are dissolved, also increases turmoil and unrest in the province. Probably doesn't happen to provinces with a fort in them
Plague: lose 50%? of population in a province
Ancient Presence: almost all population in a province dies, a bunch of mandragora spawn led by a mandragora commander
Bogus: Bogus and friends appear in your provinces, they like to snipe commanders and can rout much larger armies this way
Magic is Fading: all your bitcoin vanish

I got Magic is Fading with Luck 3. I think the only requirement is Drain to some level or another. I'm wondering if it's a flat number or a percentage of your gems myself because I lost a bunch of the ones I didn't have income for that I'd been saving for forging. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

There's one plague and one magic is fading event in the deck normally (the base magic is fading might check for LA), every relevant scale adds another one to the deck.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The only event I'm almost certain is Misfortune 3 only is the gigantic barbarian horde. You know those little barbarian hordes that raid your poo poo with like 40 - 60 barbarians? This isn't like that, this is a Barbarian Lord leading around half a dozen Barbarian Chiefs and 300+ Barbarians that come to loot and pillage all your poo poo, raising unrest by 100, killing what looks like half the population and completely obliterating any pd you happened to have because loving hell 300 Barbarians out of nowhere.

My first and only attempt at misfortune 3 ended when I got two of these events in a row both obliterating high value farmlands provinces. I then swore to never touch misfortune ever again and have never seen the event ever again.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

dis astranagant posted:

Unless it has changed since beta you most definitely can lose provinces with forts and commanders in them with the revolt. it puts everyone inside the fort outside and burns your temple. It also doesn't require mis3. Plagues don't, either, but every death scale present adds another chance to get one. Ditto magic is fading and drain scales. Ancient presence only shows up with Growth 3 and Bogus doesn't have any particular conditions.

I remember barely evading some of those bad events thanks to stacking fortunetellers in my cap-province. But if you don't have units or commanders capable of telling the future, you really should be careful with those misfortune-scales. Even when taking nations capable of protecting themselves against misfortune, the highest I ever go is Misfortune 2 and only when I can also take Order 3 to mitigate the chance of bad stuff happening a bit.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

TheresNoThyme posted:

Welp, just had my first instance where I lost a big battle due to a commander deciding that he didn't want to cast a scripted spell.

Is there any way to try and mitigate the chances of this happening? I was under the impression that it could happen during fights that the AI considers too "easy" but my troops were outnumbered in this fight. One other thing was that I had him scripted to cast a spell where he needed to spend gems to increase his magic level (he had plenty and only needed a single level increase) - does that increase the chances of the AI screwing up?

My guess is that the first fatigued him out of action.

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
Also you can only raise your casting level by one through gems, further gems only mitigate fatigue instead of giving you access to new spells.

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical
Barbarians only ever attack with misfortune I think, with each level of misfortune bigger attacks are unlocked. I also think most of the other attacks don't require misfortune.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
On the plus side, I got Mage Bane from a random event at Mis2.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Is there anywhere I can read up about good pretender/dominion builds or at least some basic strategies in that department? I only half know what I'm doing with pretenders and when it comes to your dominion I really have no idea when it's appropriate to take negative scales in order to get more positives (or pretender buffs).

Also I hope a noob game gets hosted soon!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
You could look at this LP of Dom 4, though it appears to be on hiatus at the moment:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3574174

Amhazair
Feb 13, 2012

TheresNoThyme posted:

Welp, just had my first instance where I lost a big battle due to a commander deciding that he didn't want to cast a scripted spell.

Is there any way to try and mitigate the chances of this happening? I was under the impression that it could happen during fights that the AI considers too "easy" but my troops were outnumbered in this fight. One other thing was that I had him scripted to cast a spell where he needed to spend gems to increase his magic level (he had plenty and only needed a single level increase) - does that increase the chances of the AI screwing up?

Which spell did he refuse to cast, what's his path level, and how many gems did he have? If the opposition didn't look especially weak to you chances are your mage was actually incapable of casting the scripted spell for some reason, which can be confirmed or ruled out by the answer to these questions.

Otherwise it is indeed possible that the AI decided that the opponent was too weak to burn gems. The exact threshhold for this isn't known though 'veteran' players develop a good feel for it. Some testing has been done utilizing the debug log for Dom3 which I don't remember the details of, but essentialy there are two checks: one comparing the entire enemy force to yours, and onother to check if any of the opposing units gets over a certain 'scaryness' threshhold. In the end though, if your opponent outnumbered you this is unlikely to be the cause, unless your units were significantly (really significantly) stronger.* I'm not sure how the conservative gem use toggle interacts with this though. (I think it doesn't have an effect for scripted spells? Not sure though.)

*Either a lot more hit points, say if you're all giants or ogres and he's all humans, or if you have a ton of mages and/or (possibly) equiped thugs/SC's and he doesn't.

Edit: Here's the thread I was referring to for those intrested: http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?showtopic=813

Amhazair fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 18, 2014

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

TheresNoThyme posted:

It's likely you hosed up fatigue, RANGE (this is HUGE), or how exactly extra gems work. We'll need to know exactly what the conditions were to tell you what.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
To stave off the endless random event speculation: Here. The list of all random events and their causes. It is from an older version so don't expect complete accuracy, but I doubt a whole lot has changed.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Bogus' group of adventures is no joke. They showed up as I was besieging C'Tis and managed to beat my army. I must've had 200+ units there and they just waded in like it was nothing. The troll archer even killed my pretender with a lucky shot on the first turn. No idea how. I was using a Son of the Fallen and that guy had a ton of HP.

I love this game :allears:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Incy posted:

Also you can only raise your casting level by one through gems, further gems only mitigate fatigue instead of giving you access to new spells.
And you can't do this with Blood at all.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

Bogus' group of adventures is no joke. They showed up as I was besieging C'Tis and managed to beat my army. I must've had 200+ units there and they just waded in like it was nothing. The troll archer even killed my pretender with a lucky shot on the first turn. No idea how. I was using a Son of the Fallen and that guy had a ton of HP.

I love this game :allears:

the troll archer has a special fire commanders order.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
It's more the damage of it. A Longbow of Accuracy shouldn't take out a Son of the Fallen in a single shot without an exploding d6 going very Timothy McVeigh.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Playing around with Asphodel, the last of the new nations I need to try. I enjoy their gimmick, although holy hell do I need to expand like a locust. Question, is their Dominion spread handicapped at all? I'm showing a much slower spread than I am used to, even in empty provinces.

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

Smarter than the average Blair.

jBrereton posted:

It's more the damage of it. A Longbow of Accuracy shouldn't take out a Son of the Fallen in a single shot without an exploding d6 going very Timothy McVeigh.

Well, it might if aforementioned progeny was in strongly hostile dominion, which seems entirely plausible given that the battle happened while besieging a hostile province.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Donkringel posted:

Playing around with Asphodel, the last of the new nations I need to try. I enjoy their gimmick, although holy hell do I need to expand like a locust. Question, is their Dominion spread handicapped at all? I'm showing a much slower spread than I am used to, even in empty provinces.
Nothing like handicapped afaik, and their 100g temples are game-breakingly powerful.

Ilanin posted:

Well, it might if aforementioned progeny was in strongly hostile dominion, which seems entirely plausible given that the battle happened while besieging a hostile province.
Very possible on an enemy cap, fair point.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

I just had something really weird happen. I had a battle replay that didn't match up to the battle results at all. On the world map and the results screen, a few units retreated but I won the battle handily. However, in the battle replay my force got slaughtered. Anyone have an idea what happened here?

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Do provinces that have their population reduced to 0 from Ermor's dominion ever grow again? Last night I spent a full year and a half sending 500+ units to starve to death in Ermor's capital, so I could find and kill the mage that had cast Burden of Time, and now I'm stuck with a worthless wasteland that I'm not quite sure what to do with.

On that note, someone a few pages back was saying how awesome Pythium was, and now I have to agree. Being able to summon angels was a big part of my winning that war with ermor, and I got off to a good start just by spamming principes because their defense and parry skills are so high (they even stopped a heavy cavalry charge in its tracks). It also taught me the wonders of communion magic, though I did cripple a few communicants because I didn't pay attention to how quickly they were losing fatigue.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

Microcline posted:

I just had something really weird happen. I had a battle replay that didn't match up to the battle results at all. On the world map and the results screen, a few units retreated but I won the battle handily. However, in the battle replay my force got slaughtered. Anyone have an idea what happened here?

This can happen sometimes. I think it happens because the random number generator differs between operating systems. The server is most likely running Linux, while the clients are usually Windows or OS X. Each action in the battle isn't recorded in the turn, just a random seed and the results. Your OS gives different results for that seed, resulting in a different battle than the official results from the server when you replay it.

It's fairly rare though. Just be happy it worked in your favor this time!

Jabarto posted:

Do provinces that have their population reduced to 0 from Ermor's dominion ever grow again? Last night I spent a full year and a half sending 500+ units to starve to death in Ermor's capital, so I could find and kill the mage that had cast Burden of Time, and now I'm stuck with a worthless wasteland that I'm not quite sure what to do with.

On that note, someone a few pages back was saying how awesome Pythium was, and now I have to agree. Being able to summon angels was a big part of my winning that war with ermor, and I got off to a good start just by spamming principes because their defense and parry skills are so high (they even stopped a heavy cavalry charge in its tracks). It also taught me the wonders of communion magic, though I did cripple a few communicants because I didn't pay attention to how quickly they were losing fatigue.

No, they don't ever recover. Ermor blows

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

brainwrinkle posted:

No, they don't ever recover. Ermor blows

I was afraid of that, and yes, gently caress Ermor now and forever.

On the flip side, Man saw me trying to save every living being on the planet and thought that would be a good time to attack me, and they decided to route their huge invasion force though those population 0 provinces.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Man can actually fight Ermor on their own turf, since they have the magic paths to create tons of pack lunches.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

amuayse posted:

Man can actually fight Ermor on their own turf, since they have the magic paths to create tons of pack lunches.

Are you talking about those nature items that give bonus supply points? Because I ended up resorting to a couple of those near the end (I had a titan of growth/rebrith to give me access to nature stuff).

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Yup, back in Dom3 I was able to crush Ermor relatively easily through a combination of wither bones and mass banishment with C'tis. The bags of wine/cauldrons helped immensely in getting my living troops around.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Eschatos posted:

To stave off the endless random event speculation: Here. The list of all random events and their causes. It is from an older version so don't expect complete accuracy, but I doubt a whole lot has changed.

Is that the beta version from GP's site? Pretty sure there was a big event revamp right around release.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
On larger armies you actually need to carry around bags of wine and cauldrons of broth anyway because they'll just eat so many fuckin supplies. Extremely useful items for the midgame.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

TheDemon posted:

It's likely you hosed up fatigue, RANGE (this is HUGE), or how exactly extra gems work. We'll need to know exactly what the conditions were to tell you what.

Unit was an anointed of rhuax with 4F who was scripted to cast firestorm with 10 fire gems in his pouch. Firestorm is 5F so my newb understanding was that he would use 1 gem to boost himself to 5 and then cast the spell - maybe my mistake is that the spell's gem cost also counts towards the limit?

Microcline posted:

Sup Kailasa. It was pretty painful watching that replay and then checking the battle report screen afterwards :negative:

TheresNoThyme fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Feb 19, 2014

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

I saw the "result has nothing to do with replay" thing again (this time not in my favor). I think it has something to do with firestorm being cast. Having every unit roll every turn in a way that can alter the battle based on the result probably exacerbates differences in the RNGs.

Random numbers in dominions are a truly magical thing.

TheresNoThyme posted:

Unit was an anointed of rhuax with 4F who was scripted to cast firestorm with 10 fire gems in his pouch. Firestorm is 5F so my newb understanding was that he would use 1 gem to boost himself to 5 and then cast the spell - maybe my mistake is that the spell's gem cost also counts towards the limit?

Are you Abysia in Newblood?

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

Microcline posted:

Are you Abysia in Newblood?

Yep, as above. You assassinating the leader of my my entire army (with a turn 40 mercenary assassin no less) the turn I sent him + at least 10 other commanders on the attack was definitely the best/worst RNG moment thus far though. That assassin should be put on your permanent payroll and renamed :dominions:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

TheresNoThyme posted:

Yes, if you have 4F you can only spend 4 gems in 1 turn. You would need to cast Phoenix Power first.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Also it sounds like it was an assassination attempt; the defending unit ignores scripting during assassination attempts.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

Decrepus posted:

Yes, if you have 4F you can only spend 4 gems in 1 turn. You would need to cast Phoenix Power first.

That explains it, thanks. For some reason I thought that path-boosting gems were considered separately from "spell costs x" gems.

edit: Not an assassination, though firestorming during an assassination would be a hilarious gently caress YOUUUUUUU

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
What does 3 Turmoil 3 Fortune feel like or who would it feel best with?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Neruz posted:

Yeah unless you like playing russian roulette Misfortune 3 is to be avoided at all costs; there are a number of really nasty neutral attacks that only unlock in Misfortune 3 and they are brutal.

Unless you are one of those magical bastards who is immune to bad luck in which case free points for you, you fuckers. You know who you are.

So what you're saying it, take Misfortune 3 and a Dragon, then try to rush down everyone on the map before bad events kill you?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Junkfist posted:

In Dom4 it just feels like a fool and his money parting ways because luck doesn't have as much of an effect on getting good events and the event list has a lot more useless garbage.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Junkfist posted:

You will have:
lots and lots of gems
a couple random magic items, ranging from junk to unique artifacts
free random mages
free labs in random places
free PD in random places
a good shot at one of your nation's heroes, if applicable
big spikes of money from events, ranging from a couple hundred a pop to more than a thousand

You will not have:
steady income, it'll be all droughts and windfalls
(consequently) you risk falling behind in early fort construction, unless you have very strong expansion or get one of the jackpot events year 1

I'd say all of the following traits make turmoil/luck particularly appealing:
a) looking to transition to a gem economy earlier than usual
b) low magic path diversity
c) cheap mages to recruit during lean times
d) recruit-anywhere mages to take advantage of random labs and to save on early-game fort costs
e) really good heroes

King of Bleh fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Feb 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Junkfist posted:

Run it with pan once. It's fun. Sort of.

• Locked thread